• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

MisterAnderson said:
I added custom combat music and just tested it by playing off line, and not once did I hear any of my music kick in?
Only plays them during scripted events such as the elevator scene in the second mission.

Tzeentch

I cannot create a server or join one -- it just sits there at the connecting screen (what's worse is you can't cancel create game, heh).

Really REALLY enjoy the game though (even if the AI teammates do dumb stuff like run back into rooms you are sealing). I joined the GAF group :D

bestami

After i bitched and moaned about how i can't find an online game, i immediately found a good game with some decent ppl. We played for hours, it was a blast. I got to level 11 and I unlocked some useful shit like medigun and adrenaline. Loving this game so far.

Air Zombie Meat said:
And now for a couple of public service announcements for anyone it applies to:

When your squadmate gets a parasite on him, that is not your cue to empty all of your weapons into him as fast as possible. Neither should you chase them around punching and kicking them. Healing is the only way to help.

That's not a flare people launch from thier Vindicators. It's a crazy powerful explosive. Please do not run up to it and stand next to it, basking in it's glow just before it blows you to kingdom come.
I'd like to add to this list:
Congrats on avoiding all of those glowing green projectiles while they were in the air. Now that they've landed, maybe do yourself a favor and don't stand on them while they explode.

wow at insane, all we managed was the first level and that took a few tries. Parasites and the swarmers on every level, normal aliens do like 15-20% damage per hit and are way more populous.

Kard8p3

I still have not been able to play this, it loads the map, then crashes. This is kind of depressing, I just want to kill some bugs =[.

Curufinwe

I got the "N4v_disp" driver error playing Alien Swarm last night. It came after half an hour plagued by lots of freezes and hitches.

What I did play was pretty cool, though. I think the automatic video settings it chose are a little too high for my 320MB 8800 GTS so I need to dial them down.

Yeef

Parasites are incredibly annoying. I've only died to them twice, but it kind of sucks that there's no way to get them off other than healing, especially when your medic sucks.

Teknoman

Yeef said:
Parasites are incredibly annoying. I've only died to them twice, but it kind of sucks that there's no way to get them off other than healing, especially when your medic sucks.

Well you can use electric armor too, but then you wont have another helpful item...unless you find it in the area.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
got the game installed didn't take long at all :)
my graphics card is crap so have to play in 4:3 at a low setting but still it works, ordered a mouse and should be shipping soon.

when I am off my night shift any gaffers wanna play
I am in the UK and steam ID is Jufonuk

I think they should make fire extinguishers double up as a parasite removal device. It kind of makes sense and would give you a reason to actually hang on to them.

VariantX

thats not a bad idea to use fire extinguishers like that. On a side note, is it possible to extinguish fires with freeze grenades?

DrBo42

Air Zombie Meat said:
I think they should make fire extinguishers double up as a parasite removal device. It kind of makes sense and would give you a reason to actually hang on to them.
Does no one know that the flamethrower alt fire IS a fire extinguisher? Press F.

Threi

notag
yeah it tells you if you get near a fire with a flamethrower.

Downside is that it consumes flamethrower ammo.

DrBo42 said:
Does no one know that the flamethrower alt fire IS a fire extinguisher? Press F.

Oh yeah, I do remember seeing that pop up. Still, there's not many places where you need to use extinguishers in the campaign. Haven't managed to set a teammate on fire.....yet :D

Proven

Boonoo said:
Tried it with a controller (exec 360controller_xbox). It's really annoying to have your movements dictate which way you're looking. With the controller you have to constantly push on the right stick to keep a direction. It's nice having them completely independent of one another with m/kb.

Is it really that troublesome for you?

chixdiggit

Great game. I do see plenty of room for improvement though. If this gets half the attention from Valve that TF2 or L4D2 got this game will be epic.

1-D_FTW

Tiger uppercut said:
somebody setup a GAF server on this puppy!

don't mock me if there already is one, I'm not wading thru 16+ pages.

Pretty sure it's peer-to-peer with player hosts. No dedicated servers.

Flambe

Lots of fun, but keeps crashing for some reason.

Sometimes its a BSOD, othertimes just straight CTD without error, ugh

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
1-D_FTW said:
Pretty sure it's peer-to-peer with player hosts. No dedicated servers.
Nope you can make dedicated servers, you might need to download it from the Tools section.

undu

blackMamba1187 said:
The active reload bar needs to be moved to above or below the player/character. It's really hard to keep an eye on it in the middle of the fray.
A thousand times this.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone else having problems with there alien swarm hat unlocking in TF2? played a few games and the hat still wont unlock even though i have the acheivement.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else experience massive framedrops in the level that forces you to bring a flamethrower? (Level 3 or 4) D:

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Easy_D said:
Anyone else experience massive framedrops in the level that forces you to bring a flamethrower? (Level 3 or 4) D:

Yea that one did hit slowdown for me. I can run TF2 / L4D2 Completely Maxed in everything so the slowdown was weird.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
syllogism said:
asw_horde_class asw_parasite

For you parasite lovers

http://i30.tinypic.com/bg7kwl.jpg
uy42d.jpg

kagete

I've been trying to get into a game for the past 30 mins. It just says Establishing Connection to Games with nothing happening...

Edit: just like that i get in

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone else having problems with there alien swarm hat unlocking in TF2? played a few games and the hat still wont unlock even though i have the acheivement.
It seems someone else unlocked it when he unlocked an other hat.

Blackface

Banned
Quick questioon, is the game only the single campaign? Do they plan on releasing more?

Just wondering, b/c I blazed through it with some friends in no time, will continue to re-play levels to gain my own levels otherwise.

WedgeX

Banned
I'm totally out of it when it comes to coop etiquette. I kind of assume I should be finding myself a headset, but is that a good assumption?

Thought I'd ask before I annoyed some fellow gaffers in-game.

Minamu

Can I play more than one mission in the practice mode? Just booting it up, the game isn't very good explaining wtf I'm supposed to do :S Quite fun though. Couldn't get online either. Saw a whole bunch of games active but joining was impossible.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
crimsonheadGCN said:
A poster on SomethingAwful has been working on a new player model:

33cnebl.jpg
Make it a (Blood Angels) Termie and I'll be a happy man.

Edit: Actually, it'd be weird to see them roll. Would take an animation change to alter it to short range teleportation or something.

Teknoman said:
Someone could probably even make a Starcraft action mod....or really any game or movie that involves space marines :D

did you see that fucked up thing Blizzard did with the starcraft 2 editor?

they basically turned it into a third person action game.. it was fucked up. it was an rts engine. I mean WTF... awesome.

Teknoman

Vigilant Walrus said:
did you see that fucked up thing Blizzard did with the starcraft 2 editor?

they basically turned it into a third person action game.. it was fucked up. it was an rts engine. I mean WTF... awesome.

Heard how crazy that editor could get, even made a shoot em up with it.

LeonEight

Neo Member
This game is fucking awesome. I love steam for giving this for me for free.

Hopefully they will add new maps and difficulty setting, because I just finished the first three levels on insanity and I need more dammit. :D

I would gladly pay for a map pack for this.

Top Bottom