• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Going to jump back in, lets see what more surprises this game holds after my brief stint last night. Also not quite getting the movement complaints; it was a bit awkward for about five minutes before I adjusted, but aiming feels just like the Torchlight Face-Melt Beam to me

MNC

Okay, the game is pretty damn awesome. Runs pretty shit at some points though, especially when that camera gets into play. :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Im curently focusing on Heavy guy. Chaingun, turret and missiles. DAMAGE!!!!!!!!ARGH!!!!!!
hotshotspartdeux.jpg

Are there two people who would like to play with me in a friend, want to finish the facehugger level. Add me on Steam: crazydealer. And how can I join the GAF group?

Hugbot

Crashed twice in a row on me last night. I think my computer's overheating, hopefully toning down the settings will work until I figure out a solution.

The game is really great, and I can't wait for the inevitable Space Hulk mods to start coming out.

charsace

I can't connect to games now :( I get to the level loading screen and then get booted and get the message "failed to connect on 10 tries." Someone help me.

Sciz

Poking through the files, I noticed that the audio for the Mission Failed screen is named "gameoverman.wav". :lol

Hugbot

Also, is there an early wiki up or something for information on the ranks/unlocks/weapons/species? It seems like there's a surprising amount of depth to the game and that might be helpful.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really wish Valve would let us use Steam groups for "friend" matchmaking too. I feel like my friends list is huge enough already.

bestami

I've been trying to get into a public online match for 15 minutes now. It either stucks in the establishing connection screen or says connection failed. I know the game is free and i kinda liked the game on offline practice mode but this is infuriating.

bestami said:
I've been trying to get into a public online match for 15 minutes now. It either stucks in the establishing connection screen or says connection failed. I know the game is free and i kinda liked the game on offline practice mode but this is infuriating.

Try creating a game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
bestami said:
Yeah it seems slightly buggy as far as joining games goes. Just create one and you should have a full game in a couple minutes, though.

I had problems connecting to any game for a while last night as well, probably spent about 20 minutes trying before I got into one. Not really sure why, just keep trying I guess.

GeekyDad

I'm afraid ask, out of fear of backlash from the m&k-loving radicals, but does the game support gamepad control?

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Played through the campaign with 3 friends on a mix of normal and hard. Great game but those infestors always get the best of me. If you're having trouble understanding whats going on play the first section a few times since the later levels can get pretty tough pretty fast.

Air Zombie Meat said:
I had problems connecting to any game for a while last night as well, probably spent about 20 minutes trying before I got into one. Not really sure why, just keep trying I guess.
The matchmaking looks like L4D on the surface, but it seems that anyone who creates a game is the server. Chances are there are a LOT of bad hosts out there, either by connection, processor, or Firewall.

Teknoman

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 battle tracks along with a few tracks that play early in HL2 work great in the combat playlist. Its actually a cool feature, since you get the normal atmospheric music and sound effects that the developers intended for the players, yet get to customize the different swarm (horde) rush moments.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alien-swarm-gaf

Danj

I think people (including myself) find the WASD controls weird because the directions are absolute, not relative, i.e. when you press A your character always goes left, no matter what direction he is facing. Had a quick blast on it this morning before work and liked what I saw so far.

How can you use the add-ons, there is now a example add-on from Valve, but when I try to create a game with it it just stays on creating game.

syllogism

Prophet Steve said:
How can you use the add-ons, there is now a example add-on from Valve, but when I try to create a game with it it just stays on creating game.
I think you need to install the sdk

Teknoman said:
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 battle tracks along with a few tracks that play early in HL2 work great in the combat playlist. Its actually a cool feature, since you get the normal atmospheric music and sound effects that the developers intended for the players, yet get to customize the different swarm (horde) rush moments.

Where'd you get the Metroid Prime tracks? I have the HL 2 soundtrack so I'm going to try that out. I think I'm going to throw in a couple of Inception tracks for the foreboding feel.

And I'm still confused on where to enable the 360 controller based on the OP. I can't find the config file for Alien Swarm. I'm not sure I even want to use the 360 controller but I'd like to try it to see if I prefer it over M&K.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:

Yackety Sax also works great for the swarm moments, although for entirely different reasons.

I was playing last night with 3 koreans, we kept on dying to stupid infestation bugs :( but we finally completed campaign. My computer is a old computer, I had to turn down all the settings. It looks ugly and laggy frame rate but playable.

EDIT: also custom music only works at some parts of the game?

AFKevin

Neo Member
Played with a buddy for 2ish hours last night and had a blast in it. This is by far the best free game i've played in awhile and i <3 Valve even more for that fact.

Focusing on Tech right now as it seems like a funner class with the hacking and what not, just not sure which to choose between the 2 guys.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sickazz/ - if anyone wants to add me. I'll join the gaf group when i get home tonight.

feel

Really nice game. Managed to get it running decently on my laptop with everything on medium, and it still looked pretty good I think, but I couldn't stand the controls (not because I think they're bad, it's just that I'm not used to keyb/mouse), so I'll wait for 360 controller support.

Jay Shadow said:
The matchmaking looks like L4D on the surface, but it seems that anyone who creates a game is the server. Chances are there are a LOT of bad hosts out there, either by connection, processor, or Firewall.

I figured it was probably something like this. Hopefully the situation will improve in the future.

And now for a couple of public service announcements for anyone it applies to:

When your squadmate gets a parasite on him, that is not your cue to empty all of your weapons into him as fast as possible. Neither should you chase them around punching and kicking them. Healing is the only way to help.

That's not a flare people launch from thier Vindicators. It's a crazy powerful explosive. Please do not run up to it and stand next to it, basking in it's glow just before it blows you to kingdom come.

Boonoo

Tried it with a controller (exec 360controller_xbox). It's really annoying to have your movements dictate which way you're looking. With the controller you have to constantly push on the right stick to keep a direction. It's nice having them completely independent of one another with m/kb.

itxaka

Defeatist
any way of lowering more the graphics via the console or cfg? This new source additions make the game go slow as hell on my pc.

I'll cry if portal 2 uses this additions, valve don't fail me please.

evangd007

Technosteve said:
sorry real men play as Corporal Karl Jaeger with double Vindicators, running out of bullets is for sissies!

You do know that a single ammo cache fills up 5 Vindicator clips and can be deployed 3 times? And that your allies will like you better if you carry that instead of a second identical gun?

it's weird that my brother is level 3 and I copied the installation of Alien Swarm from his PC because I didn't want to download it. When I got it on my comp I was level 3. Looks like the levels are stored in the files somewhere where you can edit? lol also in addition to lower settings you can see everywhere much easier no shadows or anything :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
itxaka said:
any way of lowering more the graphics via the console or cfg? This new source additions make the game go slow as hell on my pc.

Get those kleenex ready because those tears are gonna be flowing.

Yasae

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Impressed with it. Enough to want more.

Aiming and damage could use a little work. I saw enough bullets fly THROUGH aliens rather than into them to knock them back.

Wish there was more variety in the gameplay.

Hell, I just wanted MORE! Hopefully, modders will go crazy with this and come up with some excellent campaigns :D
That happened a lot.

DrBo42

Has anyone successfully hosted a custom map yet? I followed the instructions posted but when I try to load the map from an online game I get: -> Reservation cookie 0: reason netsupport
CAlienSwarm destroyed

And then it just drops me back to the main menu. Any ideas?

itxaka said:

It was confirmed that Alien Swarm is running on the same engine as Portal 2 is running on. The only difference is that Portal 2 will be using more effects.

Edit: Alien Swarm is the second most played title on Steam right now and it's about to eclipse Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I would not be surprised if the game is more successful at getting more Steam accounts created than free Portal did.

Top Bottom