• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

molasar

Banned
Looks ugly

What aesthetics in 3D graphics would be better in your opinion or more to your liking?

Do you prefer something with less realistic look and more surreal one? That benefits gameplay and is better for human perception, e.g., better contrasts between interactive elements and non-interactive ones? In other words more gamey?

Calverz

Gold Member
My copy arrived today for ps5.
sfZIuUv.jpg

MiguelItUp

This should have been on Gamepass, would have greatly bolstered the community numbers, otherwise this will find its way to the bargain bins in quick time, and the community won’t be huge.
I'm sure they would've gladly accepted Game Pass if the offer was there. With games like World War Z finding decent amounts of success, anything is possible. So I wouldn't assume that just yet. It'll help when we see their roadmap as well.

MiguelItUp

An Aliens game... That is a cover shooter with robot enemies.

Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel
Well, a mix is nice. But synthetics play a major part in the universe. As do soldiers that work for WY. It's honestly not too farfetched.

They decided on third person to give players a more visible range with xenos. Adding a cover system just makes sense when there's projectiles, etc. Especially with the cards + harder difficulties.

Aion002

You‘ve described Gears 5.
Wow... Yeah! Thinking about... The best part of Gears 5 campaign is the dlc that doesn't have robots.

Well, a mix is nice. But synthetics play a major part in the universe. As do soldiers that work for WY. It's honestly not too farfetched.

They decided on third person to give players a more visible range with xenos. Adding a cover system just makes sense when there's projectiles, etc. Especially with the cards + harder difficulties.

Sure but... Brain dead enemies that just runs towards the player shooting is just never good.

I was hoping for something more frenetic/scary/fast paced, rather than a cover shooter... The gameplay reminded me of FUSE...

:messenger_anxious:

MiguelItUp

Wow... Yeah! Thinking about... The best part of Gears 5 campaign is the dlc that doesn't have robots.

Sure but... Brain dead enemies that just runs towards the player shooting is just never good.

I was hoping for something more frenetic/scary/fast paced, rather than a cover shooter... The gameplay reminded me of FUSE...

Well, difficulty plays a large role as well. I've seen videos where that hasn't happened, and ones where it does. I thought nothing of it though, I don't nitpick too hard with a budget AA title.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

It is. Unsure why that's the case.

Considering it's a AA title and the developer's first project we'll probably see them on Monday or launch day. Not too uncommon as they're not some super successful AAA dev.
oh ok thanks, just checked on the store again is says optimised but on my dashboard it doesn’t have the logo so was unsure.
Yes it is.

This gameplay is of XSX version

sweet that looks decent enough (y)

Aion002

Watch Alien films. Weyland-Yutani are bad guys.

Cover mechanics are quite normal in TPS.

Also robot enemies are in Alien Trilogy (PS1, Sat, PC).
Yes they are evil... But I don't think that most of people cares about them. Sure there are gun wielding enemies, but in-between them are the Aliens, being the main enemies and the fun part of the games/movies.

The Aliens and Ripley(survivors in this case) are the main thing... Everything else is just white noise... Thats why that Prometheus prequel was a hit or miss. Some people loved and the rest of the world said: ehhhhhh.

Anyway, this game clearly is not for me.

MiguelItUp

Yes they are evil... But I don't think that most of people cares about them. Sure there are gun wielding enemies, but in-between them are the Aliens, being the main enemies and the fun part of the games/movies.

The Aliens and Ripley(survivors in this case) are the main thing... Everything else is just white noise... Thats why that Prometheus prequel was a hit or miss. Some people loved and the rest of the world said: ehhhhhh.

And they're present! But surely a ton of people would've been over them at some point. That variety is nice and does better for the experience in the long run IMO.

Well, that's how the series started, yeah. So it's hard for people not to associate the two. But since then there have been a ton of books, comics, and games that also expanded the universe with the films. I don't expect a ton of people to be more familiar with the comics and books, but this entire games vibe flows much harder with those than the films. Which makes sense because it takes place several years after films.

Haha, it is what it is. Hopefully the next one is even better across the board!

As mentioned, an IGN score of 7 leaked for the game, and that sounds about right and great for them. I'm sure I'll love it more cause I'm a xeno head. 🙃

I'm seeing the same schism in opinion as the movies. Those that want the haunted house of ALIEN vs gung-ho of ALIENS. Like Neill Blomkamp I'm all primed for another trip into the rollercoaster world of Aliens.

molasar

Banned

It just brings more variation to list of enemies. Imagine this if everyone wanted to make only a simulator of Aliens film, we would never see a game like Capcom's AvP.

Yes, if you are not into arcadey TPS, then AFTE is not for you.

molasar

Banned

Each type of enemy has a different set of behaviors. Some run, some hide, some shoot, some spit acid, etc.

If it was possible to implement AI that was unpredictable, then the game would become less playable as it would be impossible to master it.

The game is frenetic/scary/fast paced as you are attacked from all sides. Cover is usable against shooting/spitting enemies only.

Von

I’m not expecting stellar reviews nor will that sway my interest but if this is basically Zombie Army 4 with that sweet sweet Aliens coating, I’m all over it like shit to a diaper.

MiguelItUp

I'm seeing the same schism in opinion as the movies. Those that want the haunted house of ALIEN vs gung-ho of ALIENS. Like Neill Blomkamp I'm all primed for another trip into the rollercoaster world of Aliens.

Yeaaaah, the series is unfortunately plagued by this kind of stuff, it's pretty stupid IMO. Alien and Aliens both had different vibes. Some want more of one than the other, and I totally get it. I just love it all, haha. I'm just happy to see more Alien related games and content. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not expecting stellar reviews nor will that sway my interest but if this is basically Zombie Army 4 with that sweet sweet Aliens coating, I’m all over it like shit to a diaper.
Yeah, honestly I think it'll just be a solid/decent good time with friends and folks. If you're an Aliens fan, then it's just going to be amplified across the board. I've never played the Zombie Army games (I THINK I touched the first one maybe?) but I could see this sitting somewhere between that and World War Z.

Last edited:

Von

Yeaaaah, the series is unfortunately plagued by this kind of stuff, it's pretty stupid IMO. Alien and Aliens both had different vibes. Some want more of one than the other, and I totally get it. I just love it all, haha. I'm just happy to see more Alien related games and content. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, honestly I think it'll just be a solid/decent good time with friends and folks. If you're an Aliens fan, then it's just going to be amplified across the board. I've never played the Zombie Army games (I THINK I touched the first one maybe?) but I could see this sitting somewhere between that and World War Z.
If you don’t mind zombies I highly recommend ZA4, it’s just stupid fun.

S0ULZB0URNE

And they're present! But surely a ton of people would've been over them at some point. That variety is nice and does better for the experience in the long run IMO.

Well, that's how the series started, yeah. So it's hard for people not to associate the two. But since then there have been a ton of books, comics, and games that also expanded the universe with the films. I don't expect a ton of people to be more familiar with the comics and books, but this entire games vibe flows much harder with those than the films. Which makes sense because it takes place several years after films.

Haha, it is what it is. Hopefully the next one is even better across the board!

As mentioned, an IGN score of 7 leaked for the game, and that sounds about right and great for them. I'm sure I'll love it more cause I'm a xeno head. 🙃
A 7 from IGN is like a 6 from reputable sites.
Oh well

MiguelItUp

A 7 from IGN is like a 6 from reputable sites.
Oh well
I wouldn't trust a review from any site. Let alone IGN. They gave Alien Isolation a horrible review.

The game will surely be decent/solid (It's a plus that quite a few folks/Alien fans already have the game and have said they've enjoyed it). It's a budget AA TPS set in the Aliens universe that is playable with friends and has free DLC planned for the future. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I wouldn't trust a review from any site. Let alone IGN. They gave Alien Isolation a horrible review.

The game will be decent/solid. It's a budget AA TPS set in the Aliens universe that is playable with friends and has free DLC planned for the future. Sounds good to me.
I do when it comes to spending my money.
In most cases if a game rates great its great and if bad its bad.

VN1X

Banned

The game will surely be decent/solid (It's a plus that quite a few folks/Alien fans already have the game and have said they've enjoyed it). It's a budget AA TPS set in the Aliens universe that is playable with friends and has free DLC planned for the future. Sounds good to me.
Exactly. I don't know what a review could say that I don't already know by this point. It'll be a decent third-person horde shooter that is carried by its source material and the fact that you can blast Xenomorphs in the face with friends. What's not to like?

If you don't know what you're signing up for by this point then I don't know what to tell you lol (aimed at all the people still waiting for reviews obviously).

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I do when it comes to spending my money.
In most cases if a game rates great its great and if bad its bad.
If you're surfing for AAA 9/10s, sure. I guess. But for anything else that sits at 7/8 sometimes 9 that's not always true.

If I'm interested in something, I check it out. The numbers are meaningless. If anything, I look at actual gameplay, or people's reactions from or after playing the game. People give those numbers way too much power. But to each their own, just glad I'm not that way I suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️

S0ULZB0URNE

If you're surfing for AAA 9/10s, sure. I guess. But for anything else that sits at 7/8 sometimes 9 that's not always true.

If I'm interested in something, I check it out. The numbers are meaningless. If anything, I look at actual gameplay, or people's reactions from or after playing the game. People give those numbers way too much power. But to each their own, just glad I'm not that way I suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Without a solid review I won't try by buying.

molasar

Banned

I have not read their review but I doubt they rated it properly by comparing its gameplay mechanics/loop, graphics and audio with other similar games or as a new type of niche game if there is nothing else to compare to.

BTW I am not a fan of games with such gameplay but I think A:Iso is a great interactive cinematic experience.

splattered

Was hoping it would fall in 8/80 range. I'm assuming lower review scores are more going to come from the short campaign. Looking forward to seeing more details in review scores. If it has a solid fun multiplayer side then maybe I will pick it up on sale? Dunno yet

MiguelItUp

I have not read their review but I doubt they rated it properly by comparing its gameplay mechanics/loop, graphics and audio with other similar games or as a new type of niche game if there is nothing else to compare to.

BTW I am not a fan of games with such gameplay but I think A:Iso is a great interactive cinematic experience.
Oh yeah, I typically am not either. But Alien Isolation encapsulated the vibe and everything with it SO incredibly well. There was a huge backlash with that review, and understandably so. It's still brought up today. One of the complaints the reviewer had was that it was "too long", lmao.

Was hoping it would fall in 8/80 range. I'm assuming lower review scores are more going to come from the short campaign. Looking forward to seeing more details in review scores. If it has a solid fun multiplayer side then maybe I will pick it up on sale? Dunno yet
I honestly think that's where it will likely sit by the reaction of those that own the game. Well, the game is meant to be replayed a great deal, much like L4D/L4D2. I even think the game's campaign length floats about the same length as L4D/L4D2's before the added content. I think it'll just be the fact the game is a AA title that would've been better if it had x and y. Like, crossplay for example. Or even versus. Which, yeah, I agree. But if it was never included in the cost or scope of development, that's not really their choice. However, with future planned DLC anything could happen. Especially if the game is successful.

There's quite a bit of gameplay floating around now. But release is a couple days away! So, soon enough!

catvonpee

If you don’t mind zombies I highly recommend ZA4, it’s just stupid fun.
I adore ZA4. I have been nagging the dev team since the game released to make a new Aliens vs Predator game just like ZA4. I even had a chance to discuss this with their CEO and he said it was a good idea. But the cost of the license is cost prohibitive.

MiguelItUp

So was this!

xtFsV8R.jpg

I am hoping more reputable sites score this better or they offer a demo.
Yeah, but that was a messed up fluke that fell on Gearbox's hands. Sucks that anytime there's an Alien game now people have to bring it up, but I get it. I've worked with folks that were on that project at Timegate, and it was all just messed up. Long story short, Pitchford and Gearbox are shit. I hate GB as a developer as a result of that game's development. Especially since Timegate shuttered shortly after. It was fucked.

I don't think there are plans for a demo at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apparently there will be a Steam demo. 👀

Last edited:
Top Bottom