• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

S0ULZB0URNE

Played first two missions. Heres my thoughts.
1. If you aren’t an aliens fans, don’t bother. The game has shortcomings. I manage to see past them because I love the aliens ip.
2. I think this game could be really fun with two friends. Especially on the higher difficulties.
3. I luckily got this for £25. Which is worth it. Don’t pay £60 for this.

I imagine reviews will be somewhere in the 60-70’s.
I’d like to add that it’s kind of like a worse gears tbh. The weapons don’t pack much punch. Also the ps5 version doesn’t use haptic or impulse triggers.
Not liking what I'm hearing.

MiguelItUp

Reviews coming in hot...

"Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a budget shooter that spends every dollar exactly where it needs to be spent. The result is one of the better Aliens games ever released, and a surprisingly worthwhile coop shooter to boot. Some technical and design issues aside - this is a very solid pick up, "

Last edited:

Karak

Mine. Overall just absolutely boring after a little bit and it has audio issues big time especially for the locations it is supposedly championing.
Levels are legit straight lines for the most part, hidden caches many times are right there on a side hallway. Weapon upgrades are only 3x3 or 3x4 and then you are done. Skills and abilities are fun but balance issues and woeful animations and woefully longevity cratered this for me.
Playing with friends was more fun but that's because I have good friends not because the game was good. The bot ai from easy to standard actually did ok, but a person is always more enjoyable.
Also the story is literally cutting up the movies and repasting them all into bits.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Mine. Overall just absolutely boring after a little bit. Levels are legit straight lines for the most part, hidden caches many times are right there on a side hallway. Weapon upgrades are only 3x3 or 3x4 and then you are done. Skills and abilities are fun but balance issues and woeful animations and woefully longevity cratered this for me.
Playing with friends was more fun but that's because I have good friends not because the game was good. The bot ai from easy to standard actually did ok, but a person is always more enjoyable.
Also the story is literally cutting up the movies and repasting them all into bits.

Just watched your review Karak. So we basically got ALIENS: Colonial Marines 2. FUCK. What a huge let down.

1ef64f8ac9649ed40aadc75e1ff149aa.gif

I was holding out hope we'd get a decent ALIENS game. But.......
MwGZOFoaXyj-7cLsJaA5DGnRuxyBTj6O3HNEn32Egr5r4q_IM221WUX9Xk0hwgDNQTdtOVWy93-dWMjzQjzgSbgv5j8ChatxZE4qYg

skit_data

Mine. Overall just absolutely boring after a little bit and it has audio issues big time especially for the locations it is supposedly championing.
Levels are legit straight lines for the most part, hidden caches many times are right there on a side hallway. Weapon upgrades are only 3x3 or 3x4 and then you are done. Skills and abilities are fun but balance issues and woeful animations and woefully longevity cratered this for me.

That’s too bad, I’m so sad this franchise is treated so badly. Only Creative Assembly got it right in recent years :(

MiguelItUp

I think the experience is going to be divisive if anything. As the game is clearly a AA title, it has it's issues and mishaps. It's also Cold Iron's first title. If you expected this to be some magnificent 90+ title, you were gravely mistaken from the start.

This isn't Colonial Marines 2. Colonial Marines was a AAA project that was poorly handled, mismanaged, and was forcefully placed in the hands of Timegate to "make it work" in a very limited time.

This is a first time AA budgeted project by a studio that went through some woes. It's amazing that it even still came out.

After a few reviews, my understanding is, it's a great title and worth the money. IF, you can deal with some shortcomings and absent mechanics. Performance issues, some bugs, some things just missing that people would've loved. Stuff that COULD get patched out. Will it? Only time will tell. My understanding is if you're a big Alien fan and you can look past a few issues here and there, you will enjoy it. If you're expecting opposite, maybe wait.

Last edited:

Karak

Just watched your review Karak. So we basically got ALIENS: Colonial Marines 2. FUCK. What a huge let down.

MwGZOFoaXyj-7cLsJaA5DGnRuxyBTj6O3HNEn32Egr5r4q_IM221WUX9Xk0hwgDNQTdtOVWy93-dWMjzQjzgSbgv5j8ChatxZE4qYg
Well it's at 69-70% on open critic with less than 44% critics suggesting it. I don't know what CM was to be honest.

What does blow me away is how drab and boring it gets so quickly. Much of that is due to the Ai but also the levels. I mean..they are rough. Like...rough rough especially when you add in how the game works.
Like I said in the review, it could be fun to stream but I will say that I couldn't get any of the people I started the story with to play to the end. Which is very telling for them.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

"This game is great and fun, aside from a number of issues it has. But hey, for a budget title, it's pretty damn solid. Great maps, a good time with friends, I think it's fun."

"This game is buggy, these maps are lame, and the flow is boring. I can't recommend it."

Yeah, sounds like a AA budgeted title that sits at an average rating for the most part. Not surprised, and still hyped TBH. A 90, 80, few 70's, a 60, and a 30 (lol, okay).

"It's Colonial Marines 2!".... No, it's not.

"It's not Alien Isolation!".... It was never meant to be. Though I still want that so bad, lmao.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned

So in other words we got what we expected here, i.e., an arcadey TPS with enjoyable gameplay.

molasar

Banned

Ridiculous. It was always about enjoyable arcady TPS, not simulation of Alien 1986 or story driven game.

Karak

"This game is great and fun, aside from a number of issues it has. But hey, for a budget title, it's pretty damn solid. Great maps, a good time with friends, I think it's fun."

"This game is buggy, these maps are lame, and the flow is boring. I can't recommend it."

Yeah, sounds like a AA budgeted title that sits at an average rating for the most part. Not surprised, and still hyped TBH. A 90, 80, few 70's, a 60, and a 30 (lol, okay).

"It's Colonial Marines 2!".... No, it's not.

"It's not Alien Isolation!".... It was never meant to be. Though I still want that so bad, lmao.
I love me some AA budgeted stuff. This is well below the norm even when you just take technical issues into account. Which I would assume even those who liked it would have to comment on. But I am not sure. Then the other stuff added to that. Many AA titles have higher levels of polish, presentation, and gameplay.
I am very interested on the read on this in say 1 month.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
When Cold Iron Studios originally announced this game, they NEVER said it would be an "arcade style third person shooter". That's your opinion
you're treating as fact.

"cooperative third-person survival shooter"

The first preview (IGN gameplay video) proved that it was an arcadey leaning shooter.

So no opinion at all. Perhaps you need to start studying video games since the early 80s.

Mr.ODST

Half way through the game and its as I expected, just an Aliens Horde shooter but they get alot of stuff just right where alot have failed, it will get boring fast but im having fun, went in with minimal expectations.

MiguelItUp

I love me some AA budgeted stuff. This is well below the norm even when you just take technical issues into account. Which I would assume even those who liked it would have to comment on. But I am not sure. Then the other stuff added to that. Many AA titles have higher levels of polish, presentation, and gameplay.
I am very interested on the read on this in say 1 month.
I feel ya. Could very well be first project woes, or maybe even development woes from the various shake downs Cold Iron Studios went through with buy outs, etc. Who knows?

Regardless, I hope that it's taken care of fix and patch-wise. Also with future content. Just to make its appearance more positive in the end.

I say that because honestly I'd love to see more Alien titles. Decent or great. Well, and it'd be great to see Cold Iron succeed and to go on to do when better things.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
It's like less than €30 btw if you get the standard edition. You get loads of content and you get to shoot Xenomorphs with friends.

If this was a fullpriced title I'd sing a different tune but even as someone who got the deluxe edition I'm struggling to see some of the issues here, especially the equation to Colonial Fuckin' Marines lol.

Last edited:

Karak

I feel ya. Could very well be first project woes, or maybe even development woes from the various shake downs Cold Iron Studios went through with buy outs, etc. Who knows?

Regardless, I hope that it's taken care of fix and patch-wise. Also with future content. Just to make its appearance more positive in the end.

I say that because honestly I'd love to see more Alien titles. Decent or great. Well, and it'd be great to see Cold Iron succeed and to go on to do when better things.
I do as well. BIG TIME. There is stuff there for sure. Which is why I didn't say never touch(though I admit that takes ALOT as it should). Though the budget prices helped it a great deal.
Hopefully they clean up all the tech issues asap. Though I feel that's going to be difficult.

I would love to have seen them actually do more with levels and do much much more with horde.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
I would not be surprised that there are still people out there who think it was supposed to be A:Iso 2 or something else than the first IGN gameplay video presented.

Anyways I can't wait to dispatch some swarms.

TheMan

Karan says no( basically) while skillup says yes… I’m disappointed there’s not universal acclaim with this one. Feels almost like biomutant- high hopes dashed against the unyielding rocks of reality…

MiguelItUp

Can’t say I’m at all shocked of the scores it has received nor am I let down:

Right? Majority of the scores sit at 70-80, which is kind of what I was expecting. A long with a couple of 80s and 90s. A few lesser than all of those.

But I'm more than fine with this, and honestly a bit pleased and relieved.

It's a AA/indie studios first project. Being decent/average and above can speak volumes for them.

Karan says no( basically) while skillup says yes… I’m disappointed there’s not universal acclaim with this one. Feels almost like biomutant- high hopes dashed against the unyielding rocks of reality…
Gman also says yes. I get that, but that kind of outcome was never meant to be. Biomutant was a small AA/indie dev with the support of a large publisher. This doesn't even have that publishing support or budget that Biomutant had. Biomutant was also in development much longer.

20th Century Fox published this, which explains why the marketing feels light, etc. They probably through some small sum of money into development just to see how well it would do. If sales allow it to do pretty well, then that will surely mean we'll get more Alien/Aliens in the future. Probably some even larger projects. So, it's why I hope that it's successful in one way or another.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Von

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
At the end of the day it's not a £70 PS5 title so if it's mid I'm not even mad. They knew that it wasn't worth full retail from the start so it's commendable.

MiguelItUp

At the end of the day it's not a £70 PS5 title so if it's mid I'm not even mad. They knew that it wasn't worth full retail from the start so it's commendable.
I think Gman (who recommended it) said it best...

"I also kind of think a lot of the downfalls are just limitations due to the developers. In the sense that they're doing the best they could with the resources they had. I mean if it was a game developed by a massive studio that could just burn through money, well maybe more ideas would've been carried across."

I hate to echo it so much, but I think it's important to remember that this is a indie/AA studio and its their first project. The Creative Director, Matt Higgs, brings up their "little indie studio" pretty frequently. So I don't think a lot of people realize how small they truly are as they were given the opportunity to work with the Aliens IP.

I was curious cause I didn't know their studio size myself, and after some quick research it appears they float between 30-35 employees.

So, basically the size of Torn Banner (Chivalry 2), but without the publishing support of Tripwire.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Another Alien game. What could go wrong?
Just like another Warhammer game.
Just like another Superhero game.
Just like another FIFA.
Honestly, for an indie/AA studio of 30-35 people a title that contains an average of individual reviews between 70-80. So, molasar molasar is right. There IS nothing wrong. The only thing that IS wrong is going into this game expecting an experience that equates a very experienced indie/AA developer, or something close to an AAA experience.

It's better than Colonial Marines, so that's already a huge success. We don't have enough Alien/Aliens games, and for how influential that universe is to gaming it deserves more. Any decent/solid and above attention will give the IP more love. Which I want it to have.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

My god some of you and review scores.
Right? It's sad. At 37, I'm so glad I gave up on that scoring controlling my actions when I was like 15/16 years old? I think GamePro was the first reviews that made me question everything, haha.
But iT DIdN't GeT UnIvERSAL praisE ANd 9's or HigHeR!! DisAppoInTMENT!

I hate to use this term but what a bunch of pepegas lol.
It's wild to me dude. When it comes to music, movies, and video games I've had friends that won't even give something a shot because of a score. Even if it's biased, etc. Hell, EVEN if the score is POSITIVE. If it's not a 9+ it's "garbage" which is pretty gross to me, lmao.

I think it's important for folks to remember that reviews are glorified opinions, that's really it. Some prefer some reviewers and outlets, some others. But no one is entirely wrong in their review, unless there's bias, ridiculous statements or comparisons, etc. We've reached a point for several years now where people will see one or two negative reviews (in a pool of average or positive ones), and then run around praising how its trash. Which, isn't constructive, and isn't going to do anyone any good. But I've been done with this whole overdramatic constructed negativity and toxicity.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Let me be clear btw: It's fine if, after playing the game, you end up disliking it for whatever reasons. This fascination with review scores and internet hivemind is just doing my head in though. That said I feel like most of GAF these days is just posting the latest hot take in hopes of reaction scores (and I've been guilty of this plenty as well) but it does sometimes get tiresome.

It warmed my heart when I saw this post on reddit yesterday:

Even if I might not agree I'm glad that there's people who just give something a chance and disregard other opinions that came before.

MiguelItUp

Let me be clear btw: It's fine if, after playing the game, you end up disliking it for whatever reasons. This fascination with review scores and internet hivemind is just doing my head in though. That said I feel like most of GAF these days is just posting the latest hot take in hopes of reaction scores (and I've been guilty of this plenty as well) but it does sometimes get tiresome.

It warmed my heart when I saw this post on reddit yesterday:

Even if I might not agree I'm glad that there's people who just give something a chance and disregard other opinions that came before.

Wholeheartedly agree dude.

I saw that post yesterday! I thought it was awesome to see someone feel that way about Covenant, haha. Especially since Covenant, to me, was not my LEAST favorite, but it also wasn't my favorite, haha. Opinions are an amazing thing. It blows my mind how two people can have a TOTALLY different perspective on the same experience. I think that's when it's really cool to have discussions, to try and see if you can see where the other person is coming from, etc. Rather than the approach of your opinion being factual over another person's, lol.

Last edited:

Romulus

I've seen mostly people expecting 5-6s on here and reddit. Seems like it did better than expected.

Last edited:
Nothing went wrong. We got what was advertised and what we were expecting based on advertisement.

Agreed. The constant complains about what this game isnt seems very weird to me. I dont think this was ever advertised as anything more than a PVE coop shooter. I think the disappointment is that there doesnt sound like much to the meta game of it and the levels sound less than inspired.

Good co-op shooters just have that level of spark in there thats hard to put your finger on but it keeps you coming back for more. From what it sounds like, this game is lacking that.

WitchHunter

Banned
Honestly, for an indie/AA studio of 30-35 people a title that contains an average of individual reviews between 70-80. So, molasar molasar is right. There IS nothing wrong. The only thing that IS wrong is going into this game expecting an experience that equates a very experienced indie/AA developer, or something close to an AAA experience.

It's better than Colonial Marines, so that's already a huge success. We don't have enough Alien/Aliens games, and for how influential that universe is to gaming it deserves more. Any decent/solid and above attention will give the IP more love. Which I want it to have.
I don't have any problems with licensed games until it gives something unique to the mix. But most of the licensed games are handicapped. You want to innovate something and the rights holders won't let it through. That's why almost all warhammer 40k game has three weapons: a chainsaw, a storm bolter, and a flamethrower.

MiguelItUp

Agreed. The constant complains about what this game isnt seems very weird to me. I dont think this was ever advertised as anything more than a PVE coop shooter. I think the disappointment is that there doesnt sound like much to the meta game of it and the levels sound less than inspired.

Good co-op shooters just have that level of spark in there thats hard to put your finger on but it keeps you coming back for more. From what it sounds like, this game is lacking that.
Yeah, exactly. I'm not sure what people expected, the price point showed that this was a AA title. WHICH shouldn't make people expect a AAA experience, however, some folks still did. But as a studio made up of 30-35 people, corners have been cut, or some QoL things aren't feasible, etc.

Again, it's interesting. Some people have said, "this game is boring", but others have said, "playing this game with friends is a blast, and the cards help replay value a great deal." So, it's just a situation where everyone's experience will differ. Hell, with the maps I also heard people say that they should be commended, and then others say they were nothing exciting, haha.

With DLC planned, maybe those that are concerned about staying power should just wait until that other content comes. Because until we know what it is for sure, it sounds like it'll just make the game more full.

I don't have any problems with licensed games until it gives something unique to the mix. But most of the licensed games are handicapped. You want to innovate something and the rights holders won't let it through. That's why almost all warhammer 40k game has three weapons: a chainsaw, a storm bolter, and a flamethrower.
Well, for the Aliens IP, this is honestly a pretty unique title. But as a cooperative third person shooter, it's safe. But you can't really blame a small dev going with what typically works. Especially with the Aliens IP, it's something SO many people adore, but it's very tarnished after Colonial Marines. I'd imagine there was a lot of pressure and stress. Before, during, and after development.

I totally hear you, if development were cheaper these days, I'm sure a lot of devs wouldn't hold back when it comes to innovation. But, unfortunately that's not the case, especially with AA/AAA devs dealing with known IPs, big deals, etc. I can't really blame their studio going the safer route, rather than completely out there and innovative route. They at least do at least add a couple of interesting things to the mix.

molasar

Banned

We need to find out on our own if gameplay (supported by functional audiovisuals) itself is something that can make us coming back for more. Especially for me it is the most important aspect, then it is a theme (Alien franchise - mainly Aliens). I stopped caring about narrative in PS4 era.

molasar

Banned
I totally hear you, if development were cheaper these days, I'm sure a lot of devs wouldn't hold back when it comes to innovation.

IMO we are in a trap of better graphics (more realistic, more detailed, more cinematic like) but it really does not benefit gameplay as it puts too much stress on human eyes and perception (while in motion).

For example I compared lately Tekken 4 with Tekken 7 and the former seems more functional and artistically better.

Top Bottom