• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

Winter John

No cross play killed my interest in it. I got a new xbox so obviously I want games for that instead of the ps4. I think the devs screwed up here especially as B4B is coming real soon

MiguelItUp

I adore ZA4. I have been nagging the dev team since the game released to make a new Aliens vs Predator game just like ZA4. I even had a chance to discuss this with their CEO and he said it was a good idea. But the cost of the license is cost prohibitive.
Man, I want a new AVP so bad. There was rumors another game was in development a year or so ago. I hope that's true. I loved all of the games, especially 99 and 2. But man, I wish we could somehow get a mix of the two, along with a mode similar to ZA4.
Whoof. Some of those animations. Torso and lower body sometimes move completely independently from each other. Looks ridiculous. Lol
A AA budget title that's also a first project for a small dev, it's not too uncommon. I'd be more alarmed if this was a AAA title with a much larger budget TBH.

No cross play killed my interest in it. I got a new xbox so obviously I want games for that instead of the ps4. I think the devs screwed up here especially as B4B is coming real soon
As cool as it would've been it was just never in the scope of development, unfortunately. Price to pay with AA development that has limited funds and boundaries.

I don't think they did, I mean, it's coming out earlier enough. If it was the same time, it'd put them in a worse position for sure. But I don't think they're trying to compete. I mean, ones a first time project by a AA with a limited budget, the other is an experienced and successful AAA with a practical unlimited budget.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
No crossplay lol. Is there a single dev anywhere that releases a finished game? Nintendo half asses everything, Halo will be missing a bunch of features at release, Mario golf feels like half a game, Cyberpunk, Anthem, Avengers. Games take forever to release and come out shittier than ever.

MiguelItUp

No crossplay lol. Is there a single dev anywhere that releases a finished game? Nintendo half asses everything, Halo will be missing a bunch of features at release, Mario golf feels like half a game, Cyberpunk, Anthem, Avengers. Games take forever to release and come out shittier than ever.
This game is finished, with free future planned DLC. Crossplay is expensive and intensive, it wasn't part of their development as a AA title. That's really it.

This was honestly one of the few titles that was rumored a few years ago, announced not long ago, and released on time. I believe it moved up a bit, even. Pretty impressive for a AA studio's first game IMO. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Winter John

Man, I want a new AVP so bad. There was rumors another game was in development a year or so ago. I hope that's true. I loved all of the games, especially 99 and 2. But man, I wish we could somehow get a mix of the two, along with a mode similar to ZA4.

A AA budget title that's also a first project for a small dev, it's not too uncommon. I'd be more alarmed if this was a AAA title with a much larger budget TBH.

As cool as it would've been it was just never in the scope of development, unfortunately. Price to pay with AA development that has limited funds and boundaries.

I don't think they did, I mean, it's coming out earlier enough. If it was the same time, it'd put them in a worse position for sure. But I don't think they're trying to compete. I mean, ones a first time project by a AA with a limited budget, the other is an experienced and successful AAA with a practical unlimited budget.
I guess it's just unfortunate timing for them that B4B is coming out soon. Hopefully they'll be able to patch in cross play sometime

Winter John

Nah, not everyone is into B4B. Also I have seen fans of L4D complain that it is not a proper successor.Well,
Not everyone is but I'd reckon both games would share a large portion of the same audience, and there are going to be a lot of comparisons. My issue with B4B is the devs. I haven't forgotten that Evolve shit show. That thing was a disaster. After reading Turtle Rock's dlc plans for B4B, I don't think they've learned anything from it but we'll see.

MiguelItUp

Not everyone is but I'd reckon both games would share a large portion of the same audience, and there are going to be a lot of comparisons. My issue with B4B is the devs. I haven't forgotten that Evolve shit show. That thing was a disaster. After reading Turtle Rock's dlc plans for B4B, I don't think they've learned anything from it but we'll see.
I'm giving them benefit of the doubt TBH. The sad part is people are blaming TRS, and not WB. I'm almost positive WB is the reason the monetization went the way it did. I mean, look at the monetization that exists/existed for other WB titles.

I absolutely loved the L4D series, and while B4B is NOT L4D, it's the closest we'll ever get. It's just so sad cause there are a ton of things that B4B tries to do that L4D 1/2 did/does better. I'm day 1ing it and hoping for the best regardless. Just really interested in seeing how they support it in the future.

Hoping the best for Darktide too. But we'll see.

I'm truly hoping AFE does decently enough to get cool content, and we get more cool Alien/Alien affiliated games sooner than later.

MiguelItUp MiguelItUp keep telling Rebellion and Jason Kingsley you want another AvP. I'd prefer a third person one, but 1st would work too. I love Zombie Army, Strange Brigade, and Sniper Elite, so a third person game would be natural for them to make.
Will do! Honestly the last one, while it kinda fell flat, was still solid. I just want the best one we've had yet across the board. Give me the Alien lifecycle, give me destructible light sources, give me real time hive effects, etc. I want it all.

Man, that's it, I'm buying the Zombie Army games. I'm very curious now, haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

molasar

Banned

If we talk about shooters audience, then we have BF and CoD games coming up too.

But the only comparison game that comes to my mind is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Calverz

Gold Member
Played first two missions. Heres my thoughts.
1. If you aren’t an aliens fans, don’t bother. The game has shortcomings. I manage to see past them because I love the aliens ip.
2. I think this game could be really fun with two friends. Especially on the higher difficulties.
3. I luckily got this for £25. Which is worth it. Don’t pay £60 for this.

I imagine reviews will be somewhere in the 60-70’s.
I’d like to add that it’s kind of like a worse gears tbh. The weapons don’t pack much punch. Also the ps5 version doesn’t use haptic or impulse triggers.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

molasar

Banned
1. If you aren’t an aliens fans, don’t bother. The game has shortcomings. I manage to see past them because I love the aliens ip.
2. I think this game could be really fun with two friends. Especially on the higher difficulties.

I’d like to add that it’s kind of like a worse gears tbh. The weapons don’t pack much punch. Also the ps5 version doesn’t use haptic or impulse triggers.

Did PSN let you update the game or did you run it without it?

Von

I adore ZA4. I have been nagging the dev team since the game released to make a new Aliens vs Predator game just like ZA4. I even had a chance to discuss this with their CEO and he said it was a good idea. But the cost of the license is cost prohibitive.
I would most likely die of happiness if that ever happened.

Isa

Thanks for the impressions!

I think the game looks mighty fine for the dev's first project, a licensed title to boot. And its a super small team lol. Like people claim they're sick of indies(2D, pixel art, copying and saturating the market with the same formula) and here is a decent B-AA tier title and people are expecting Rockstar or Naughty Dog levels of detail and animation lol.

I'm probably going to get it myself, vote with my wallet. I wish the team success. Plus, I'm a sucker for the source material. Terminator Resistance was poopoo'd but the fans swayed me to get it and it was worth it for me. Nothing wrong for liking or wanting to play a game that's not a critical darling or the next zeitgeist.

molasar

Banned
Like people claim they're sick of indies(2D, pixel art, copying and saturating the market with the same formula)

Saturation is caused by generic 2D pixel art games but not good ones. Here are examples of the latter that are in production: Bushiden, Okinawa Rush, Lunark, There Is No Light, Metro Siege.

Isa

Saturation is caused by generic 2D pixel art games but not good ones. Here are examples of the latter that are in production: Bushiden, Okinawa Rush, Lunark, There Is No Light, Metro Siege.
Oh I'm not saying I dislike them, I really enjoy them. Just saying the general feel I get from the more core gaming crowd is more hesitancy to try a new indie with certain themes. I love pixelart and there are some real gems both out and coming in the future. Real artistic achievements that I wish had been further explored instead of the push to 3D back in the 32bit era.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but honestly with it being a budget AA title I'm sure they can get away with it. Hell, the Terminator: Resistance game was a AA title, by no means revolutionary, but was damn awesome in terms of dedication to the IP. It also sold pretty well. I honestly felt like that's what this was and would be for the most part. Expected a solid C+ to B -/+ title, and I'm totally happy with that.

I'm biased AF, but this IP needs more video games, be it decent or great ones.

VN1X

Banned
Ok I guess I've gone a bit overboard with during my hype-lead-up to Fireteam as I basically got all the third novel series (including Covenant Origins, excluding Isolation), all of the movies on Bluray and these bad boys (I think the stylized design is amazing):

alien-mini-epics-vinyl-figure-facehugger-15-cm.jpg

alien-mini-epics-vinyl-figure-ellen-ripley-15-cm.jpg

alien-mini-epics-vinyl-figure-xenomorph.jpg

Also the Deacon from Prometheus as it looks terrifying.

deacon.jpg

Now I stop. I swear!

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I mean, this just looks like a pile of fucking shit really. No crossplay? Those animations? Please, just fuck off.

catvonpee

I guess it's okay to talk about off-topic stuff here? I'll put these in spoiler tags so you can ignore them if you don't want to see.
here's my Predator tattoo 😆
2017-06-28.png

2016-12-17.jpg

AvP posters collection
20210821-203332.jpg

20210821-203412.jpg

The right one is a Jason Edmiston, left is a Godmachine.

I'd love for many more Aliens games... I can't wait to play Fireteam. I wish I didn't have to wait until September 1st to get my copy. 🥲

Optimus Lime

C'mon man is it really that bad? You didn't even play it yet. I was thinking it looks really good.
I think it looks terrible. Maybe I'm right. But, at the same time, maybe YOU'RE right, and it will be really good. We're all just giving impressions of what we've seen, aren't we? Isn't that the point of forums?

Optimus Lime

Right. A wonderfully constructive one.
Feel free to ignore me if the quality of my posting isn't up to your standards. That's totally fine. Personally, I'm okay with hearing opinions of varying quality and complexity from people I agree with and people I don't agree with. I guess I just have a different approach to you.

MiguelItUp

Feel free to ignore me if the quality of my posting isn't up to your standards. That's totally fine. Personally, I'm okay with hearing opinions of varying quality and complexity from people I agree with and people I don't agree with. I guess I just have a different approach to you.
Nah man, I'm not like that. I appreciate you chiming back like this and I respect that. :messenger_peace:

catvonpee

I think it looks terrible. Maybe I'm right. But, at the same time, maybe YOU'RE right, and it will be really good. We're all just giving impressions of what we've seen, aren't we? Isn't that the point of forums?
The point is I don't care who's right, there's a lot of here who are excited about it. But there's ways of expressing your frustrations without telling people to fuck off. Even if you were right, your point is completely lost when you talk like that in a public forum.

Optimus Lime

The point is I don't care who's right, there's a lot of here who are excited about it. But there's ways of expressing your frustrations without telling people to fuck off. Even if you were right, your point is completely lost when you talk like that in a public forum.
I told the game to fuck off. For god's sake. I cannot believe that you actually think that was directed at any forum user.

But, thanks for the lecture. I'll make sure I don't offend any consumer goods in future.

Stuart360

Just read on Steam that IGN gave the game a 7/10 on their front page, but quickly took it down (i guess the review broke the embargo or something).
They also gave Alien Isolation a 5.9 so take it as you will lol.

MiguelItUp

I told the game to fuck off. For god's sake. I cannot believe that you actually think that was directed at any forum user.

But, thanks for the lecture. I'll make sure I don't offend any consumer goods in future.
We're just hyped is all dude. It's dropping soon and we just want to be hopeful, hyped, and excited. Let us have this, lmao. :pie_smfaceyes:

Really though, no harm done.

Just read on Steam that IGN gave the game a 7/10 on their front page, but quickly took it down (i guess the review broke the embargo or something).
They also gave Alien Isolation a 5.9 so take it as you will lol.
Haha, right?! What a flip flop of a take, haha. "WHAT'S IT MEAN?!"

Though I really don't care for IGN or ratings I feel 7/8 is probably accurate and fair. A lot of people that are fans and have the game seem to be pretty happy with it.

Is this on XB1 or PS4?. It looks almost 360/PS3 level. The initial trailer looked pretty damn good graphically i thought.
This one is PS4. It's why it looks a bit rough and isn't 60fps.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Is this on XB1 or PS4?. It looks almost 360/PS3 level. The initial trailer looked pretty damn good graphically i thought.

Seems like PS4. Devs said it should run at 1080p/30fps. Perhaps with dynamic res.

PS4 version played on PS5 but PSN does not allow an update or upgrade to PS5 version yet.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeah I got lucky.
Same, haha. I'm primarily a PC player, but my co-workers got me a PS5 for Christmas. Appreciated it to no end. Just so insane that people are still having problems with both consoles. Wild. But hey, the longer the wait, the more good titles will be released, haha. Everyone's a winner!

Top Bottom