• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm going to guess/assume Sony is going to go the Theater-to-Streaming route?

New AAA games are for sale exclusively for the first 12-18 months

Then said AAA game goes to the PS plus Premium streaming tier

Lastly said AAA gets ported to PC

Sounds about right? 🤔
Yeah something like that, except AAA games wil come to the 'Extra' tier, with 'Premium' being more about access to PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games.

sachos

I assume they mean that PS2 games are going to be like the already availalbe ones in PS4 and PS5, native PS4 games running on a PS2 emulator with trophies and no visual enhacements. And that there are also PS1, PS2 and PSP already remastered or remade for PS4 or PS5. These games will stay as they are.

But on top of that, they will now add PSOne Classics and PSP Classic games running on a new emulator (with no trophies) that would add extra resolution framerate, rewind, savedata etc.
But they had a working PS2 emulator for PS3, i asume they will end up porting all the PS2 Classics from the PS3 store no? I sure hope they do. Also the PS2 games on PS4 do run with enhanced resolution, but there are quite a few emulation bugs running on PS5 from what i've seen, i hope they improve that.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
The PS ecosystem is more than 100 million Monthly Active Users, so even for heavy hitters like God of War that sold upwards of 20 million copies, there's still A LOT of people that never bought those games. Not every consumer is a hardcore gamer that buys everything
I agree, but why would casuals be interest now for games that have been available for a long time? I can only see this working if Sony kinda re-releases such games thus why Sony started porting older games to PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The PS ecosystem is more than 100 million Monthly Active Users, so even for heavy hitters like God of War that sold upwards of 20 million copies, there's still A LOT of people that never bought those games. Not every consumer is a hardcore gamer that buys everything
Exactly the same point for Game Pass.

Xbox probably has 50M active users and their best selling games might be 5M now. So lots of room for sub sales to come in handy. If those 45M gamers havent bought the game already in bargain bins for $9.99 they never will. But maybe getting them to sub to a game service will get some revenue.

Similar to Netflix. Some purists buy all their movies and TV shows on discs. Some dont give a shit about buying physical discs anymore even though you can find a copy of old ass DVDs for probably $5. A sub service is now available and they'd rather do that for convenience and quantity.

Last edited:

Pejo

I think we're about to hear announcements of more PC versions of these PS+ games in the next 6 months. Notably Ghost of Tsushima/Demon's Souls/Returnal.

The strategy of 1+ year old games going to PS+ fits exactly with PS's current strategy and thoughts that day 1 "pass" games leading to lesser quality games down the line. I'm ok with the strategy, even though I admit that Game Pass is the superior offering for the consumer.

Then again, as a PC gamer first the past few generations, maybe I'm just used to waiting.

Demon Souls, Ghosts of Tsushima, Returnal, Spiderman, Asscreed and Death Stranding

Holy shit

Lucky I waited.
Nice one!

Muggins here bought Ghosts and Miles Morales late last year and (even worse!) have barely touched them to date due to this 'life' thing.

On the other hard, I nearly bought Guardians of the Galaxy, Returnal and AC Valhalla as well, and I did gain from having Plus previously stacked until 2026 before buying a short Now sub for this, so its not all bad.

Really happy with what's been revealed so far, and it's not even the complete list. People criticising it because they already own all the top rated games is pretty weak tbh, as that's on them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Please be concerned™.

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

scydrex

Will Sony remove the games like MS with Gamepass? Maybe third party? I think they will maintain the exclusive or a least for more time. If they remove games from the extra or premium will it work like plus? You add them to the library and can play them anytime if you have plus? Would like to know how they will manage the games.

skit_data

I want all of the Resistance games, never played them on PS3. I’d also love to see the God of War games that released on PSP (preferably the PS3 release) and Ascension, just replayed GoW 1-3 and those are the only ones I missed out on.
Glad to see Infamous 1&2 at least. Played them on PS3 but I don’t have the trophies because I lost my account from the PS3 era.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Will Sony remove the games like MS with Gamepass? Maybe third party? I think they will maintain the exclusive or a least for more time. If they remove games from the extra or premium will it work like plus? You add them to the library and can play them anytime if you have plus? Would like to know how they will manage the games.
PSNow games would rotate and it would work exactly the same as GP. You can’t play them once they rotate even if they are installed.

It’s not clear whether first party games will rotate though.

dotnotbot

I want all of the Resistance games, never played them on PS3. I’d also love to see the God of War games that released on PSP (preferably the PS3 release) and Ascension, just replayed GoW 1-3 and those are the only ones I missed out on.
Glad to see Infamous 1&2 at least. Played them on PS3 but I don’t have the trophies because I lost my account from the PS3 era.

Those PS3 remasters were pretty lazy, nothing like current remasters. Usually graphics weren't improved at all or just slightly*, the biggest upside was resolution bump (720p, rarely 1080p) and sometimes improved framerate but not always. Devs didn't even care to adjust UI and menus for 16:9 most of the time!
In case of God of War PSP Collection it's 1080@60 but there's a lot of aliasing if I remember correctly. So properly emulated PSP versions in 4k and with added AA would look much better overall.
Same for PS2 collections, I wish they would include them as emulation instead of streaming those outated, half-assed PS3 remasters.

* or sometimes even worse than originals like Prince of Persia Warrior Within HD for example

Last edited:

skit_data

Those PS3 remasters were pretty lazy, nothing like current remasters. Usually graphics weren't improved at all or just slightly, the biggest upside was resolution bump (720p, rarely 1080p) and sometimes improved framerate but not always. Devs didn't even care to adjust UI and menus for 16:9 most of the time!
In case of God of War PSP Collection it's 1080@60 but there's a lot of aliasing if I remember correctly. So properly emulated PSP versions in 4k and with added AA would look much better overall.
Same for PS2 collections, I wish they would include them as emulation instead of streaming those outated, half-assed PS3 remasters.
I played through ”God of War Collection” with GoW 1&2 recently on my PS3 recently and they looked fine but since then I’ve upgraded my TV from a 1080p 42” to a 4k 55” so its entirely possible it would be a much worse experience. They should at least get Ascension IMO.

dotnotbot

I played through ”God of War Collection” with GoW 1&2 recently on my PS3 recently and they looked fine but since then I’ve upgraded my TV from a 1080p 42” to a 4k 55” so its entirely possible it would be a much worse experience. They should at least get Ascension IMO.

They're fine if played directly from PS3, but add streaming artifacts on top and that 720p won't look too sexy. Also God of War games are very dynamic so I imagine they won't compress very well.

Not a lot there got ps5, but decent start. I wouldn't sub until there was a lot more ps5 content. It's fine but not sure it'll move the needle on subs
We'll see. Assuming you are subscribing to PS+ for online, you're already paying $59.99. So, for Extra, you're paying $99.99, or $40 to upgrade. If there is one good PS5 or PS4 game you'd have purchased, it's a savings.

I liked how with PS+ originally, if a game was on there, we had access to it forever if we are subscribed to PS+.

With GamePass, and I assume PS+ Extra/Premium, games are taken away every month, just as fast as they are added. My current PS+ library of games puts the current GamePass library to shame. It will likely be the same with PS+ Extra.

skit_data

We'll see. Assuming you are subscribing to PS+ for online, you're already paying $59.99. So, for Extra, you're paying $99.99, or $40 to upgrade. If there is one good PS5 or PS4 game you'd have purchased, it's a savings.
I think it will come down to how successfully they market it. I will sub to premium, because I’m invested enough into the ecosystem and follow gaming news but just like with PS Now it could go by unnoticed by the general consumer unless they market it well.

That said, I was never subscribed to PS Now despite knowing about it’s offerings, yet I can already tell this is much more interesting. It’s entirely possible more average consumers can see that as well.

T-Cake

I liked how with PS+ originally, if a game was on there, we had access to it forever if we are subscribed to PS+.

With GamePass, and I assume PS+ Extra/Premium, games are taken away every month, just as fast as they are added. My current PS+ library of games puts the current GamePass library to shame. It will likely be the same with PS+ Extra.

You’ll still be getting “free to keep” games on PS+ Essential but they might become bottom of the barrel offerings like Xbox Live Games with Gold have.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I seriously doubt within any sort of normal rational parameters does your PS+ library put the Gamepass library to shame. There are currently over 125 games on gamepass with a meta score of 80 or better.
Not to mention a playstation+ library is cultivated over years of consistent subscribing vs a flat monthly fee that can be started and stopped any time.

skit_data

You’ll still be getting “free to keep” games on PS+ Essential but they might become bottom of the barrel offerings like Xbox Live Games with Gold have.
I think the average game quality of the last two years of PS+ offerings is an indication that this will be the case sadly. Outside of FF7 Remake it’s been barren. Sure Fifa 22 is a big game but not my taste.

On PS3 we got fucking Demon’s Souls and only a while ago we got Shadow of the Colossus, Infamous Second Son and Uncharted 4. I doubt we’ll ever see games of that caliber on PS+ Essential again but I hope to be proven wrong.

THE DUCK

Not to diminish your point but are you counting previous editions of FIFA and Madden?

I sorted by critic score, didn't see any FIFA or madden. There were 2 NHL's.

I seriously doubt within any sort of normal rational parameters does your PS+ library put the Gamepass library to shame. There are currently over 125 games on gamepass with a meta score of 80 or better.
Not to mention a playstation+ library is cultivated over years of consistent subscribing vs a flat monthly fee that can be started and stopped any time.
I've been subscribed to PS+ since launch. Trust me, it definitely does. Especially factoring in the PS+ Collection that launched with PS5.

Chukhopops

Not to diminish your point but are you counting previous editions of FIFA and Madden?
They’ve been removed a while ago actually, there’s only ‘20 and ‘21 for FIFA which are under 80 MC anyway. Madden actually lowers the average MC.

It will be interesting to see the full list and MC comparison, I think that it will be closer than it it is today because Sony is removing a lot of shit games from PSNow. I think both will be similar at around 78 MC or so.

THE DUCK

I've been subscribed to PS+ since launch. Trust me, it definitely does. Especially factoring in the PS+ Collection that launched with PS5.

So you have 120+ 80 or better scored games? Lets take a look at even the past year and thier meta scores:

There is only 6 games with a meta score of 80 or higher.

Maneater (PS5, 71, 0.6 years old)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (75, 2.3 years)
Greedfall (72, 1.3 years)
Destruction AllStars (PS5, 62, day-and-date launch)
Control: Ultimate Edition (PS4/PS5, 85; the Ultimate Edition is a day-and-date launch, the game itself is 1.4 years old)
Concrete Genie (PlayStation VR; 75, 1.3 years)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (87, 0.9 years)
Remnant: From the Ashes (78, 0.5 years)
Maquette (PS5, 70, day-and-date launch)
Farpoint (PlayStation VR, 71, 3.8 years)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (PS5, 66, day-and-date launch)
Days Gone (71, 1.9 years)
Zombie Army 4: Dead War (72, 1.2 years)
Wreckfest (PS5, 82, 1.7 years)
Battlefield 5 (73, 2.5 years)
Stranded Deep (65, 1 year)
Operation: Tango (PS5, 72, day-and-date launch)
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown (78, day-and-date launch)
Star Wars: Squadrons (79, 0.7 years)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (83, 2.7 years)
WWE 2K Battlegrounds (60, 0.8 years)
Hunter’s Arena: Legends (PS4/PS5, 60, day-and-date launch)
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville 77, 1.8 years)
Tennis World Tour 2 (56, 0.9 years)
Overcooked! All You Can Eat (PS5, 84, 0.8 years)
Predator: Hunting Grounds (56, 1.4 years)
Hitman 2 (82, 2.8 years)
Hell Let Loose (PS5, 68, day-and-date launch)
PGA Tour 2K21 (76, 1.1 years)
Mortal Kombat X (83, 6.5 years)
Knockout City (PS4/PS5, 80, 0.5 years)
First Class Trouble (PS4/PS5 79, day-and-date launch)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (72, 1.1 years)
The Persistence (PlayStation VR, 78, 3.3 years)
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PlayStation VR, 79, 1.5 years)
Until You Fall (PlayStation VR, 85, 1.1 years)
Godfall: Challenger Edition (PS4/PS5, 61, 1.1 years)
Lego DC Super-Villains (74, 3.1 years)
Mortal Shell (76, 1.3 years)

Ok so lets go back another year:

• Goat Simulator (58, 4.4 years)
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (86, 4.25 years)
  • BioShock: The Collection (84, 3.4 years)
  • Firewall: Zero Hour (79, 1.4 years)
  • The Sims 4 (66, 2.2 years)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (91, 2.1 years)
  • Sonic Forces (57, 2.3 years)
  • Dirt Rally 2.0 (84, 1.1 years)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (93, 3.9 years)
  • Cities: Skylines (91, 2.1 years)
  • Farming Simulator 19 (64, 1.46 years)
  • Call of Duty: WWII (79, 2.6 years)
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 (68, 2.5 years)
  • NBA 2K20 (78, 8 months)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (88, 3.7 years)
  • Erica (69, day-and-date)
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered (71, 3.75 years)
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (81, day-and-date launch)
  • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (72, 1.75 years)
  • Street Fighter 5 (77, 4.5 years)
  • Need for Speed Payback (61, 2.9 years)
  • Vampyr (70, 2.3 years)
  • Bugsnax (PS5, 79, day-and-date launch)
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition (85, 2.1 years)
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War (80, 3.1 years)

Ok, so we have 10 more, we are at 16 total here now. But you mentioned the plus collections, so lets add that too:

THE PLAYSTATION PLUS COLLECTION

• Batman: Arkham Knight (87, 5.39 years old at time of offering)
  • Battlefield 1 (89, 4.06 years)
  • Bloodborne (92, 5.64 years)
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 3 — Zombies Chronicles (78, 5.02 years)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (80, 3.37 years)
  • Days Gone (71, 1.55 years)
  • Detroit: Become Human (78, 2.47 years)
  • Fallout 4 (87, 5 years)
  • Final Fantasy XV (81, 3.95)
  • God of War (94, 2.57 years)
  • inFamous: Second Son (80, 6.65 years)
  • Monster Hunter: World (90, 2.80 years)
  • Mortal Kombat X (83, 5.58 years)
  • Persona 5 (93, 3.61 years)
  • Ratchet & Clank (85, 4.59 years)
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (86, 3.80 years)
  • The Last Guardian (82, 3.93 years)
  • The Last of Us Remastered (95, 6.29 years)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (93, 4.51 years)
  • Until Dawn (79, 5.22 years)

So 15 more games (duplicate Uncharted 4 removed), that's 31 total. I'm not seeing a 120 games 80+ here, how far back do I have to go?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So you have 120+ 80 or better scored games? Lets take a look at even the past year and thier meta scores:

There is only 6 games with a meta score of 80 or higher.

Maneater (PS5, 71, 0.6 years old)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (75, 2.3 years)
Greedfall (72, 1.3 years)
Destruction AllStars (PS5, 62, day-and-date launch)
Control: Ultimate Edition (PS4/PS5, 85; the Ultimate Edition is a day-and-date launch, the game itself is 1.4 years old)
Concrete Genie (PlayStation VR; 75, 1.3 years)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (87, 0.9 years)
Remnant: From the Ashes (78, 0.5 years)
Maquette (PS5, 70, day-and-date launch)
Farpoint (PlayStation VR, 71, 3.8 years)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (PS5, 66, day-and-date launch)
Days Gone (71, 1.9 years)
Zombie Army 4: Dead War (72, 1.2 years)
Wreckfest (PS5, 82, 1.7 years)
Battlefield 5 (73, 2.5 years)
Stranded Deep (65, 1 year)
Operation: Tango (PS5, 72, day-and-date launch)
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown (78, day-and-date launch)
Star Wars: Squadrons (79, 0.7 years)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (83, 2.7 years)
WWE 2K Battlegrounds (60, 0.8 years)
Hunter’s Arena: Legends (PS4/PS5, 60, day-and-date launch)
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville 77, 1.8 years)
Tennis World Tour 2 (56, 0.9 years)
Overcooked! All You Can Eat (PS5, 84, 0.8 years)
Predator: Hunting Grounds (56, 1.4 years)
Hitman 2 (82, 2.8 years)
Hell Let Loose (PS5, 68, day-and-date launch)
PGA Tour 2K21 (76, 1.1 years)
Mortal Kombat X (83, 6.5 years)
Knockout City (PS4/PS5, 80, 0.5 years)
First Class Trouble (PS4/PS5 79, day-and-date launch)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (72, 1.1 years)
The Persistence (PlayStation VR, 78, 3.3 years)
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PlayStation VR, 79, 1.5 years)
Until You Fall (PlayStation VR, 85, 1.1 years)
Godfall: Challenger Edition (PS4/PS5, 61, 1.1 years)
Lego DC Super-Villains (74, 3.1 years)
Mortal Shell (76, 1.3 years)

Ok so lets go back another year:

• Goat Simulator (58, 4.4 years)
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (86, 4.25 years)
  • BioShock: The Collection (84, 3.4 years)
  • Firewall: Zero Hour (79, 1.4 years)
  • The Sims 4 (66, 2.2 years)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (91, 2.1 years)
  • Sonic Forces (57, 2.3 years)
  • Dirt Rally 2.0 (84, 1.1 years)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (93, 3.9 years)
  • Cities: Skylines (91, 2.1 years)
  • Farming Simulator 19 (64, 1.46 years)
  • Call of Duty: WWII (79, 2.6 years)
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 (68, 2.5 years)
  • NBA 2K20 (78, 8 months)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (88, 3.7 years)
  • Erica (69, day-and-date)
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered (71, 3.75 years)
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (81, day-and-date launch)
  • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (72, 1.75 years)
  • Street Fighter 5 (77, 4.5 years)
  • Need for Speed Payback (61, 2.9 years)
  • Vampyr (70, 2.3 years)
  • Bugsnax (PS5, 79, day-and-date launch)
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition (85, 2.1 years)
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War (80, 3.1 years)

Ok, so we have 10 more, we are at 16 total here now. But you mentioned the plus collections, so lets add that too:

THE PLAYSTATION PLUS COLLECTION

• Batman: Arkham Knight (87, 5.39 years old at time of offering)
  • Battlefield 1 (89, 4.06 years)
  • Bloodborne (92, 5.64 years)
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 3 — Zombies Chronicles (78, 5.02 years)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (80, 3.37 years)
  • Days Gone (71, 1.55 years)
  • Detroit: Become Human (78, 2.47 years)
  • Fallout 4 (87, 5 years)
  • Final Fantasy XV (81, 3.95)
  • God of War (94, 2.57 years)
  • inFamous: Second Son (80, 6.65 years)
  • Monster Hunter: World (90, 2.80 years)
  • Mortal Kombat X (83, 5.58 years)
  • Persona 5 (93, 3.61 years)
  • Ratchet & Clank (85, 4.59 years)
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (86, 3.80 years)
  • The Last Guardian (82, 3.93 years)
  • The Last of Us Remastered (95, 6.29 years)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (93, 4.51 years)
  • Until Dawn (79, 5.22 years)

So 15 more games (duplicate Uncharted 4 removed), that's 31 total. I'm not seeing a 120 games 80+ here, how far back do I have to go?
You have to sift through all the PS1, PS2, PS3 games.

There were some charts a website did a year or so ago. PS Now had more games than GP. But GP's games skewed more recent and had higher ratings. PS Now had a big mish mash of average and bad score games.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
This list makes it very clear that Sony doesn’t give a fuck about legacy titles.

Very disappointed.
That's not the full list. Wait until you see the full list to shit on it. I do agree that their work making legacy titles available over the past 15 years is piss poor. Hopefully this rebrand will nudge them the right way.

That's not the full list. Wait until you see the full list to shit on it. I do agree that their work making legacy titles available over the past 15 years is piss poor. Hopefully this rebrand will nudge them the right way.
They made the announcement of their new paid service going forward and didn’t include a full list of available games on launch?

At the very least it looks solid, glad Sony is putting a real effort into this so the Sony loyalists can stop pretending like subscription services will be the end of gaming as we know it. As soon as I can find a PS5 I'll probably sub to it depending on what the full list looks like

Top Bottom