• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone In The Dark (2024) |OT| Christian Slater and Tara Reid Not Included

SpiceRacz

Started ALITD last night. I’m coming into this game fresh off the RE3 Remake. It’s obviously more in-line with a proper survival horror game. Especially in terms of pacing, story, atmosphere. It pretty much nails all those things for me so far. My only gripe is these fucking enemies are bullet sponges. Am I better off just avoiding them?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Started ALITD last night. I’m coming into this game fresh off the RE3 Remake. It’s obviously more in-line with a proper survival horror game. Especially in terms of pacing, story, atmosphere. It pretty much nails all those things for me so far. My only gripe is these fucking enemies are bullet sponges. Am I better off just avoiding them?
Melee dude, stick and move and abuse the dodge. It works. I feel like I'm the only one here who is doing melee 90% of the time. Honestly rarely stand and shoot unless I absolutely have to.

Terenty

You can run past a lot of them, you can sneak past some, look into every nook and cranny to collect ammo.

Shooting with the gun and shotgun feels quite satisfying imo

I did two runs on normal. One where I took all enemies out and one where I mostly ran past them. Either approach is valid on that difficulty as ammo is abundant. On hard it is even more difficult to put them down, ammo is more scarce, and running is preferrable. I am contemplating doing a run on easy to get the upgraded weapon feel the game lacks.

P.S. I have a theory about Jeremy's background.
It is known that as a young boy he went to a magic show with his father. The family curse made the practiticing magician take on the appearance of the Black Pharoah to collect on the contract with his father but he stayed his hand because his power like a genie in a bottle is coupled with the psychological deterioration of the mind by the curse. For a long time Jeremy had repressed that incident and eventually became part of the Astarte Artist colony. It is implied that colony fell apart due to the rot originating from the Mother of a Thousand Young and its ritual worship by many of its members. The summoning of this unholy creature initiated an intervention by the Black Pharoah who had gained power from Jeremy's deteriorating mental state and let him initiate a contract with Jeremy. The colony then disappeared into a world conjured by the Black Pharoah. Jeremy made it out, but his love interest Perosi was stranded. The rest presumably died. For years Jeremy had dealt with the curse with the help of family, but his fear of the Dark Man eventually made him take up a psychiatrist's offer to help him deal with his seemingly unfounded fears. When Jeremy returned to the location of the colony, which had become a mental institution much to his surprise he allowed Perosi to return to the normal world. Their reunion was shortlived. As the therapist dug more and more into Jeremy's past Jeremy became more unraveled and his realization that the residents of the institution intended to summon the unholy creature again caused him to try and finalize the contract with the Black Pharoah in an attempt to isolate it.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Melee dude, stick and move and abuse the dodge. It works. I feel like I'm the only one here who is doing melee 90% of the time. Honestly rarely stand and shoot unless I absolutely have to.
It's what I'm doing - I usually play around with whatever new gun the game gives me, just see what it's capable of - then promptly never / almost never use it. For me, it's 90% melee weapons + 9% pistol + 1% "oh fuck I'm out of pistol ammo and this guy is coming right at me!"

It's what I'm doing - I usually play around with whatever new gun the game gives me, just see what it's capable of - then promptly never / almost never use it. For me, it's 90% melee weapons + 9% pistol + 1% "oh fuck I'm out of pistol ammo and this guy is coming right at me!"
You don't need to worry about saving ammo for bosses or other enemies unless your aim is bad. Whatever gun you use if you run low it puts that ammo into boxes for you to collect.

It's so nice to see everyone in the thread pretty much universally praising the game.

Some of those reviews, like WTH. 😞🤦
Love to see it, though! Especially since we've all been in here championing it.

Reviews are a barometer but I'll never let someone else think for me.

I bought the collector's edition and am overly satisfied with this game. It's amazing if only because, in a genre that's gotten repetitive in approach, it dares to keep it simple, resulting in a refreshing take on a beloved franchise.

I hope the sales justify a sequel.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where's my damn patch

Honestly the only game Ive enjoyed and stuck with all year so far
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably start a different save as the opposite main character.

Reactions: Isa

jshackles

Trust me its been considered, but my luck the same shit would happen again and then Id actually be pretty pissed and would probably shelf it until god knows when.

Not gonna risk
I feel ya. It's weird you said the sound it makes still comes out of your speakers when the volume is muted. Do you have an external sound bar? Or is it the TV speakers? If sound bar, maybe try unplugging it to see if that fixes it? If TV speakers, maybe try hooking your console up to another TV (if possible) to get past that part?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I feel ya. It's weird you said the sound it makes still comes out of your speakers when the volume is muted. Do you have an external sound bar? Or is it the TV speakers? If sound bar, maybe try unplugging it to see if that fixes it? If TV speakers, maybe try hooking your console up to another TV (if possible) to get past that part?

Its a sound bar and I did unplug the night it happened, but then I was dealing with no sound whatsoever (since the bug cuts out all sound entirely) and one of the things I was loving about the experience was the sound design, music, acting etc. I definitely dont want to play it dead silent lol

jshackles

Its a sound bar and I did unplug the night it happened, but then I was dealing with no sound whatsoever (since the bug cuts out all sound entirely) and one of the things I was loving about the experience was the sound design, music, acting etc. I definitely dont want to play it dead silent lol
True - but if you can get past the part that's triggering the audio bug, then save your game (maybe in a different slot) / shut down your tv, console, soundbar, etc. then restart from there with good audio it'd be worth investigating.

Game is too good to just... not play it.

jshackles

I got a new monitor yesterday, so can't wait to get off work and dive into this more. I'm in the middle of chapter 4 now, so I'll probably try and finish it tonight. I tried it out when I hooked up my new monitor, but this game looks great in 32:9 ultrawide.

I had the same issue happen to me out in the bayou/ hateful mound section. I ended up having to reboot my TV from the admin menu.

The soundbar input cycled itself after that.

I know I know :messenger_pensive:
I can honestly say that the hateful mound is the lowest point in the whole game. Thankfully I can get through it on any difficulty within half an hour of starting the game.

For that section you hightail it to the barn. Once inside, enter the door on the left, grab the key, run to the house, and past the locked door. You pick up the lever, jump down, and activate the suspended bridge in the barn. You run up stairs and toward the window. You kill the digger that pops up after you fall out of the barn. Approach the destructable gate with a melee weapon and either misdirect or kill the two diggers that attack you. Afterward you can run to the other side of the oil rig by taking the bridge to the right, activate the lever by the fence and climb the ladder. After you get out of the blazing inferno is a good place to save and reload.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I can honestly say that the hateful mound is the lowest point in the whole game. Thankfully I can get through it on any difficulty within half an hour of starting the game.

For that section you hightail it to the barn. Once inside, enter the door on the left, grab the key, run to the house, and past the locked door. You pick up the lever, jump down, and activate the suspended bridge in the barn. You run up stairs and toward the window. You kill the digger that pops up after you fall out of the barn. Approach the destructable gate with a melee weapon and either misdirect or kill the two diggers that attack you. Afterward you can run to the other side of the oil rig by taking the bridge to the right, activate the lever by the fence and climb the ladder. After you get out of the blazing inferno is a good place to save and reload.
What don't you like about it? I dont remember experiencing anything frustrating.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My gamefly copy shipped today, will probably get it by Monday.

Hoping this is one of those cases where I end up disagreeing with the critical analysis, since I've been looking forward to this game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My gamefly copy shipped today, will probably get it by Monday.

Hoping this is one of those cases where I end up disagreeing with the critical analysis, since I've been looking forward to this game.
I think you'll dig it. Go in expecting basic gameplay and you really can't be overly disappointed. Fingers crossed that you don't get the nasty bugs. Try to remember to save periodically because you will get stuck in geometry at times. Most of the time you can get out but I had one where I was just stuck, thankfully it was right near a check point.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finished it a few days ago with both Edward and Emily - easily an 8/10 - no idea what the reviewers were smoking.
That said i did get stuck 2 or 3 times in geometry, but that was never a big prob.
The negative reviews make no sense. I'm also playing Ronin and some of the complaints in reviews make complete sense so it's not like I blindly defend whatever game I'm enjoying. AITD though, the game is great by any standard and deserved better from reviewers.

SpiceRacz

Finished it last night with Carnby. Total playtime 6:48. I took my time with it though and tried not to rush. Feel like I probably could have trimmed that down closer to 6 hours.

I think it's really well-done for being what I assume is a game made on a lower budget. This almost feels like a AA game more in the vein of something from the 360 era (in a good way). We don't get much of those anymore. Didn't find the game scary, just creepy and unsettling in parts. Like the bridge/car scene or when they're celebrating around the tree. It's psychological horror - closer to Silent Hill than Resident Evil. The focus is more on mystery and atmosphere. Combat is serviceable, but never felt like the focus of the game to me. I don't like that you can get overwhelmed by enemies and blocked into a corner. One issue I found, like ScHlAuChi ScHlAuChi , I got stuck in different parts of the environment. I had minimal technical issues with the game. Most of them were during cutscenes. Otherwise, ran fine on PC at the highest settings. Also appreciated that the game was on the shorter side. I think by the time I got to the end, I was ready for it to be over. It didn't overstay it's welcome at all. It's paced really well and the 6+ hours it took me to finish went by fast.

I'd rate it overall a 7. It's damn good for what it is and certainly not a 3/10 or whatever like some people scored it. Definitely among my favorite games I've played so far this year.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm giving it a 7.2/10
Only because the ending is rather lame and random imo, but overall I enjoyed my play time with it
It could have been better but what it does do well it does really well and it's definitely something I can see being improved on in a sequel if they get a chance.
And I said it before but there are a lot of really nicest touches graphically that you don't even see in something like TLOU or RE
I do like New Nightmare though and would have preferred a remake of that.
Maybe I remembering wrong but wasn't the enemies invisible in the light?
But this was interesting enough to warrant my time and I probably would have scored it higher But that ending was rather random.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I need to get back to this and finish my playthrough as Emily. Curious about this ending...🤔

Probably this weekend. Just busy with work and that stress doesn't lend to my enjoyment of AITD. So Ronin has been the escape but I think I'm ready to head back into Derceto and see it through.

RagnarokIV

SPOILER FREE
I love the puzzles in this game, reminds me more of old FMV style.

But - Shipping company safe.
Can someone point me in the right direction? Does this involve the district map on the wall?
I’m struggling to get the logic behind the left, right return.

fart town usa

Gold Member
SPOILER FREE
I love the puzzles in this game, reminds me more of old FMV style.

But - Shipping company safe.
Can someone point me in the right direction? Does this involve the district map on the wall?
I’m struggling to get the logic behind the left, right return.
The clue is in the file itself. Count the number of letters in the word that is related to left, right, return (left).

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

When I say related I mean it's in same line as the left, right, return.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yo Chuck Berry Chuck Berry , it's your cousin Fart Town, this is that new patch you've been looking for!

It mentions Xbox in the full list so I'm assuming the patch is for all platforms.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yo Chuck Berry Chuck Berry , it's your cousin Fart Town, this is that new patch you've been looking for!

It mentions Xbox in the full list so I'm assuming the patch is for all platforms.

FUCKIN A 🙌

fart town usa

Gold Member
w8aJJt7.png

Only because the ending is rather lame and random imo, but overall I enjoyed my play time with it
Why do you feel it is random?
The library texts imply a Lovecraftian entity at the root of all the misfortune in that neck of the woods. The ritual sacrifice of the girl is constantly foreshadowed in conversations. Also, since the Dark Man is an entity that has limited ability unless the one cursed is mentally distraught how would you have resolved the conflict with Jeremy? What would have been a satisfactory conclusion for you?

Bartski

Gold Member
The clue is in the file itself. Count the number of letters in the word that is related to left, right, return (left).

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

When I say related I mean it's in same line as the left, right, return.
yeah but also it's about the numbers on the dial not the times you have to turn the dial to either direction which is where I got confused and stuck like everybody else it seems

fart town usa

Gold Member
yeah but also it's about the numbers on the dial not the times you have to turn the dial to either direction which is where I got confused and stuck like everybody else it seems
Yea, it functions like an actual lock which definitely throws some off. Who uses a lock like that these days? lol.

I think it requires a full rotation on the final number. If I had an actual lock in my hands I could describe it better but unfortunately I don't.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finished the game - what a hell of an experience! The last chapter was surprisingly short.
Dude, I'm glad you said that cause chapter 4 has been incredibly long for me. Some of the things I'm doing seem optional, it's wild. I wish I could go into further details but this chapter just keeps giving. I played for a bit last night and my first playthrough is going to be 10+ hours. I haven't even dawdled either, probably 1.5 hours that could be shaved due to fruitless exploring but the rest has been pure gameplay.

I'm playing as Emily.

Reactions: Isa
Dude, I'm glad you said that cause chapter 4 has been incredibly long for me. Some of the things I'm doing seem optional, it's wild. I wish I could go into further details but this chapter just keeps giving. I played for a bit last night and my first playthrough is going to be 10+ hours. I haven't even dawdled either, probably 1.5 hours that could be shaved due to fruitless exploring but the rest has been pure gameplay.

I'm playing as Emily.

Yessir, I'm curious about play times too.

I just finished at just over 12 hours. Did some exploring and backtracking but didn't waste too much time, I thought.

The game was superb. I hope Silent Hill is as good.

My only complaint is that you aren't prepared enough, combat-wise, for the ending sections. You abruptly go between occasional encounters, and then they pull out the rug and you're getting caught on geometric jank in firefights like Resident Evil.

And the ending, while abrupt, was a damn good sequence, and set the necessary pieces for the sequel.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Well I managed to get through the part that broke my game a couple weeks ago. Been smooth as fuck sailing since.

And Im still on Chapter 2. Got the shotgun, finished the stuff in the boiler room and went through the cemetery and the catacombs. Ive been really impressed with the environment variety already. As soon as you start tripping out (or whatever happens) you really have no idea what to expect.

ndszYnj.jpg
oUmZWRP.jpg

Last edited:
I did an easy run with Emily and it was kind of entertaining to be able to put down the starter enemy in a single pistol shot every so often. The one major downside is fewer enemies. I also tried the final boss again on Hard but to no avail. I can hang in there for a good ten minutes, but eventually I get swarmed and have no time or space to reload and shoot the boss' weakpoints. I think after the shotgun buff update the game is most fun on normal.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Winding up with Dragons Dogma 2, popped in the disc.

Game install size: 32 GB
Update 1.005 install size: 28GB

Why the fuck are game patches as big as the entire games these days.

Top Bottom