• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark PS5 screenshots leaked

Bartski

Gold Member
A French Belgian website game shop Smart Toys has just leaked a new, yet unannounced, Alone in the Dark game for PS5, developed by Pieces Interactive for THQ Nordic.

From the product description, clearly a remake / reimagining of the groundbreaking classic from 1992.

via google translate:

Psychological horror and Southern Gothic collide in this retelling of survival-horror classic Alone in the Dark . In the skin of Edward Carnby or Emily Hartwood, explore the various environments, fight monsters, solve puzzles and discover the terrible truth about the mansion of Derceto... In the deep south of the United States during the years 1920, Emily Hartwood's uncle disappeared. Accompanied by the private detective Edward Carnby, she goes looking for him in the manor of Derceto, a mental asylum where... something is lurking. You will encounter strange occupants, nightmarish kingdoms, dangerous monsters, and uncover an evil conspiracy. At the confluence of reality, mystery and madness, the adventure that awaits you risks undermining your certainties. Who are you going to trust, what are you going to believe, and what are you going to do next?
· Explore Derceto's mansion in this revamp of Alone in the Dark, a true love letter to the 90s horror classic.
· Go back to the roots of psychological horror and experience an atmospheric adventure on par with the game that founded the genre.
· Immerse yourself in a world full of goosebumps-tingling sounds against a backdrop of doom jazz that's as memorable as it is hypnotic.
· Feel the adrenaline as you desperately try to survive a world where reality begins to crumble, evil lurks in every shadow and ammo is scarce.
· Experience this nightmare from the perspective of Emily Hartwood or Edward Carnby and unearth the dark secrets of a Gothic mansion.
· Go beyond the imaginable through a complex psychological story written by cult screenwriter Mikael Hedberg, author of SOMA and Amnesia.

M4FnpDT.jpg
agLBm7S.jpg
34RNyYY.jpg
jy6A0SN.jpg
U3wbeuM.jpg

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Looks interesting, quite cool to see the series rebooted, I thought it was long dead.

I remember being scared off the original game on the Saturn, then again D petrified me as a child.

Not sure I'm too interested in the IP anymore, but I won't write it off completely, looking forward to the thq show, assuming everything doesn't leak beforehand.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It looks like its going to be janky as hell just by looking at those screenshots. It's nice that THQ Nordic has so many ip's now but the devs they use are not very good. They should refocus, re-manage their devs into a bigger better team instead of several AA jank teams.

Last edited:

DaemonXHUN

Neo Member
I'm just here to say that the Alone in the Dark reboot from 2008 is possibly the most underrated game I've ever played (along with the likes of I am Alive). It had a crazy amount of unique and fun mechanics and Uncharted-style epic set pieces while having a semi-open world design. It was fantastic, even if a bit clunky and unrefined in some places. I'd love to see something like that with a modern coat of paint.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Benefit of the doubt?

People were laughing at some no name studio called Rocksteady making a Batman game, too.

Sometimes things just work out, let’s hope for the best instead of immediately dismissing this as garbage.

Different times. Things are much worse now. I have no hope for the industry so I'll always assume its shit. Why get hyped only to get dissapointed. I rather remain neutral/skeptical and be happy if its good.

anthony2690

Banned
Different times. Things are much worse now. I have no hope for the industry so I'll always assume its shit. Why get hyped only to get dissapointed. I rather remain neutral/skeptical and be happy if its good.
It could be their breakout game for all we know.
I remember when killer instinct reboot was getting made (same with strider) I intially wrote it off completely due to double helix & their prior game being green latern, and they delivered with both games imo.

Sadly I'm not sure double helix has done anything since being purchased by Amazon.

I do personally think KI got better with iron galaxy though and even that could be argued as a breakout thing for them, as they did season 2/3/3.5 and overhauled the game completely and made it their own.

Hopefully Alone in the dark reboot turns out good though. :)

It's better to hope for the best than to hype for the best.

Regardless of outcome, I always hope each studio can release the good game that they wanted to create. I won't hype myself up that it's a guarantee. I don't blame you for not wanting to hype up, but that doesn't mean it's good to lose all hope.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Hopefully Alone in the dark reboot turns out good though.

It's better to hope for the best than to hype for the best.

Regardless of outcome, I always hope each studio can release the good game that they wanted to create. I won't hype myself up that it's a guarantee. I don't blame you for not wanting to hype up, but that doesn't mean it's good to lose all hope.

I have no reason to want it to fail but horror games lately....lets just say I dont remember anything good since what..Alien Isolation? Resident Evil 8? Eh maybe Visage. The genre has amazing potential and 90% of the time has been absolute dog shit. Horror is my favorite genre and I am starving and feeling hopeless about it. Eh, we'll see.

First AITD is still GOAT horror game. Hopefully they have the sense to ignore the shitheads and do what needs to be done. And by that I mean tank controls. We need tank controls.

We have melancholy of the old games, but the ip has been long dead, so no wonder a small "low level" studio is doing it for a AA publisher. I would expect nothing above dead average

Last edited:

Kikorin

I love the setting for what I'm seeing, let's hope in a good reboot. Magika 2 is the only game I remember from Pieces Interactive, but it was good, so there are chances they'll made a fun game.

Talking of Alone in the Dark, as a kid I was absolutelly terrified from the Game Boy Color version, I played and finished that game tons of time and I was always scared, that mansion lived in my nightmares for years.

kaYv8Sn.jpg
CohkOqZ.gif
DLfqWRq.gif

I'm just here to say that the Alone in the Dark reboot from 2008 is possibly the most underrated game I've ever played (along with the likes of I am Alive). It had a crazy amount of unique and fun mechanics and Uncharted-style epic set pieces while having a semi-open world design. It was fantastic, even if a bit clunky and unrefined in some places. I'd love to see something like that with a modern coat of paint.
I always wanted to try it but I hear it's a real pain in the ass to get running properly on PC.

DETACA

Banned
those were days, when i used to play psx wholeday without being checked by anyone. rather everyone was cheering me and playing togather.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am surprised there is any reason to make it Alone in the Dark rather than some new IP.
Alone in the dark can't possibly draw in so many customers...

Top Bottom