• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark PS5 screenshots leaked

II_JumPeR_I

It looks like its going to be janky as hell just by looking at those screenshots. It's nice that THQ Nordic has so many ip's now but the devs they use are not very good. They should refocus, re-manage their devs into a bigger better team instead of several AA jank teams.
Lets just wait and see? A lot of studios started small.
I rather have a bit jankyness than not having the game at all...

supernova8

Banned
Is my internet connection playing up or... are there no screenshots?
edit: was my internet

I mean it looks.... fine. Looks marginally better than Red Dead Redemption 2, so my reaction is more:
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

than
Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

then again I never played the original so perhaps I'm not the target audience.

Last edited:

Three

It looks like its going to be janky as hell just by looking at those screenshots. It's nice that THQ Nordic has so many ip's now but the devs they use are not very good. They should refocus, re-manage their devs into a bigger better team instead of several AA jank teams.
How can you tell that from a screenshot? Am I missing something?

Buggy Loop

Benefit of the doubt?

People were laughing at some no name studio called Rocksteady making a Batman game, too.

Sometimes things just work out, let’s hope for the best instead of immediately dismissing this as garbage.

I would add to this that there’s always a staff turnover / inflow and you can score a few gems of legit geniuses that make a huge difference at a studio. Assuming that a studio remains static in output quality is laughable.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Eh, of course it's over the shoulder and there will be a lot of twitchy shooting that has nothing to do with the original.

AITD was tense because the combat was awfully clunky. You had very limited ammo, the saber would break after a few hits, and you could get easily stunlocked to death. Combat was basically reserved for the few creatures you couldn't deal with otherwise; every bullet was meant to be used in a specific situation. The heavier emphasis on combat is the reason why AITD2 was already taking the series downhill.

Of course the combat here could be good, but it's not what the original game was about. I'm cautiously optimistic, but calling this a "reimagining" just because it's set in Derceto is misleading.

mortal

Gold Member
So is this cross-gen or current-gen only?

It's looking really nice. Although the over-the-shoulder camera does make it a bit less distinctive when compared to the original. Hope to see a trailer soon.

Salz01

I personally think it looks good. Want to see more of it. Hope it comes out soon and not another 2023 beyond game….

MiguelItUp

Could be a bit jank, but these shots give me more of a vibe from the original than the previous remakes/new games, so that's exciting. Hopefully we see some footage during the livestream.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
My favorite style of games are whatever you want to call Dead Space/Resi 4-8 & recent remakes. Prefer when they lean into horror/stress of limited resources and less of the constant shooting action but its a spectrum that allows for good games throughout.

I hope this one ends up joining the ranks of the games above.

The setting looks great!

kiphalfton

I don't recall ever seeing someone reacting negatively to similar leaks, if anything it makes people excited, right?

I've seen some people who whine about leaks. Why? I have no idea, but I'd assume because they were looking forward to whatever event is on the horizon and wanted to be surprised...

I myself get excited, since I don't really care if for instance in this particular case whether THQ announces it or some random person leaks it. Leaks are always like a couple days before whatever event, so doesn't really make THAT much of a difference.

xrnzaaas

Damn given the studio's lack of experience this is gonna be 'wait for non-scripted gameplay before getting hyped'.

ZoukGalaxy

Well, I went from "let it die [the IP]" to "you have my attention", I suprise myself.

Let's see if it's not an epic fail... again.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Horror is my favorite genre and I am starving and feeling hopeless about it
Maybe that's the TRUE horror here....
Also, RE8 really isn't a horror game. It's so different from every other re game in tone, even compared to 7. You have a big tit giantess vampire lady stalk you across a giant mansion. How in the fuck is that scary? Jack baker wasn't that scary (not until the end) but his character was awesome and well written, you can't wait until you see him on screen again because of how unhinged and manic he is.

Rambone

I'm down. I was always hoping for a remake of the first game. I hope the dev can pull this one off but probably best not to get too excited for now.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
As for this, it looks really well made! I wish it were in the perspective of the original, but that's not gonna stop me from staying tuned.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Maybe that's the TRUE horror here....
Also, RE8 really isn't a horror game. It's so different from every other re game in tone, even compared to 7. You have a big tit giantess vampire lady stalk you across a giant mansion. How in the fuck is that scary? Jack baker wasn't that scary (not until the end) but his character was awesome and well written, you can't wait until you see him on screen again because of how unhinged and manic he is.

You have no idea what horror is. Horror does not always equal scary. RE8 is a horror game.

Shifty

Combat was basically reserved for the few creatures you couldn't deal with otherwise; every bullet was meant to be used in a specific situation.
That's interesting food for thought. Where Resident Evil is an action game with light adventure elements for the lock / key progression, original AiTD seems more like the opposite - an adventure game with action elements to replace the traditional verb interface.

Reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Beast 2 - one of those attritive games that you have to learn how to do a perfect playthrough of before you can see the end. If only studios had the balls to put production money behind such things today :messenger_confused:

You have no idea what horror is. Horror does not always equal scary. RE8 is a horror game.
Pfff, RE8 is a horror-themed universal studios ride. 'Themed' being the operative word, seeing as that's what Resi becomes when it lapses into action and/or spectacle.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's interesting food for thought. Where Resident Evil is an action game with light adventure elements for the lock / key progression, original AiTD seems more like the opposite - an adventure game with action elements to replace the traditional verb interface.

Reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Beast 2 - one of those attritive games that you have to learn how to do a perfect playthrough of before you can see the end.

Pfff, RE8 is a horror-themed universal studios ride. 'Themed' being the operative word, seeing as that's what Resi becomes when it lapses into action and/or spectacle.
It's like a fucking cycle at this point, for a few games they ARE horror, then for the next few they become action. It's like it's going through a midlife crisis...that spans it's entire life

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

It had some really nice horror themes(baby house/thich mommy/sisters chase) and it's still a horror game in my eyes. I hope they do not go down the RE5/6 path again tho.

Shifty

It's like a fucking cycle at this point, for a few games they ARE horror, then for the next few they become action. It's like it's going through a midlife crisis...that spans it's entire life
Yeah, that's easily the series' biggest issue. Capcom keep striking out in new directions and creating new sub-fanbases around different types of RE, who inevitably join everyone else in collective disappointment when it next pivots and leaves the thing they like behind.

At least everything up to 7 was limited to one identity crisis per game. 8 manages to pack five or six of them into one place, not being able to decide whether it's panic horror, gothic horror, pathos horror, psychological horror, industro-body horror, military horror, or Dragonball Z.

So in lieu of weaving those together cohesively and keeping the player feeling trapped and scared like the baker house, it slices up the map by genre and lets you queue for your rollercoaster of choice after shoving your way through all the wolfmen crowding the main thoroughfare.

It had some really nice horror themes(baby house/thich mommy/sisters chase) and it's still a horror game in my eyes. I hope they do not go down the RE5/6 path again tho.
Individually I'll give each of the themes credit since they riff on good classic horror tropes. I just think that none of them got enough room to breathe, and ended up feeling shallow for it.

Castle Dummythicc in particular had the potential to hold a whole game, which would have given its residents more time to flesh out as human-but-twisted villains rather than the milk mistress and her verified-twitter-user daughters.
(Sorry, cheap shot. The "Man Flesh!!!" line when they first grab Ethan stuck with me :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

I quite enjoy gothic horror, but romantic underpinnings - figuratively, like SotN's Dracula / Alucard tragedy - are an important staple to make sure the themes go beyond aesthetics.

And yeah, 5/6 can stay gone as far as campaign goes. Really, Capcom needs to dumpster all of the multiplayer spinoffs they keep tacking on and put that effort into a dedicated Mercenaries side game - really get the action-first stuff out of their system, and probably make a sick game in the process given how much love they wasted on 6's dope gunplay mechanics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom