• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aloy's costumes in the new DLC is nightmare fuel

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Jesus, that first screenshot is impressive, haven't played the game, but I'm guessing it's a cutscene no? Even so, looks so good, especially those hands, what res is this at?
It’s dialogue on some side quests. Is crazy good looking. 4k30 on day 1.

Last edited:

Fake

The crazy thing is in what world does Horizon make less money if they make Alloy as pretty as the actress? Not this one, they could have had a character like Lara Croft in her heyday. Doesn't need an egirl slut outfit, just a pretty face.

This is a concept of desexualization of women inside the game company. The Aloy actress face is still pretty beautiful in the Horizon Zero Dawn, besides he body not being the best, but I remember Guerrila devs taking issue about that.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

i think the people are repulsive.

but in terms of Art Direction is a masterclass.
The environments look amazing but the characters look fucking dreadful. Some of the worst art direction I have ever seen in a video game. OP isn’t wrong. By and large the costumes for Aloy and NPCs in this game are visually offensive. One or two half decent exceptions, but generally just garish as fuck. It’s a shame.

Fake

Honestly the whole design and world of Horizon never felt right from the start. I think it's very repulsive.

Is very beautiful graphic speaking, but have loads of inconsistence.

The problem is, at least in the first one, there was a huge potential talking about the world, but they simplify using that stupid advantage points.

The environments look amazing but the characters look fucking dreadful. Some of the worst art direction I have ever seen in a video game. OP isn’t wrong. By and large the costumes for Aloy and NPCs in this game are visually offensive. One or two half decent exceptions, but generally just garish as fuck. It’s a shame.
yep. people look gross and laughable with those costumes.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Oh I don't like the costumes either nor the character designs or the game itself. The robots are cool and the graphics are great though.
That's wasn't aimed at you specifically. I was just joking about the thread in general. Sorry. Should have been more clear.

The Fartist

Gold Member
g0QICly.jpg

Corndog

Banned
Still going with this myth of making her look different cause of agenda when in reality they just made her identical to her VA probably for easier translation of animations. She’s literally Ashley Burch now and that’s all there is to it.

Also armors all look fantastic. Too bad that’s all there is: everything looks good except when you start to play it you stop noticing and start getting bored asap by the shallow and bland gameplay behind it all. Really a missed occasion here :/

Open worlds really have to die as fast as they can. Not everyone is Nintendo and it shows.
It’s not a myth.
SNr7yhj.jpg

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gaf-throwback-aloy-looks-a-little-off.1607288/page-18#post-263673014

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Last edited:

Kurimao

It has nothing to do with graphics or engine of the game and more to do with different philosophy of how Japanese developers model their characters and how western developers like to model theirs.

For Japanese developers it doesn't matter if character more realistic or even using face scan they will always try to make characters pleasent to look at.
WCCFdeathstranding10.jpg
Resident-Evil-4-Remake-Ada.jpg

Meanwhile western developers are different.
horizon-forbidden-west-pride.jpg
V0mvkjo.png
Saw this somewhere in FB.

W7PbVf9.jpg

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
And thats big difference between how Japanese devs design their characters vs western devs theirs. In Japan beauty is strength this is why most their game characters are young and beautiful, both male and female.

from western devs perspective a female character can't look strong without looking like guy.
its so stupid and it wasn’t always like this.

Old school “empowered female”: you can be beautiful, sexy, and feminine, and also be tough and in charge + know what you have going for you.

Modern empowered female: beauty and anything stereotypically feminine is dirty and shameful. The only correct way is to be unattractive, mannish, disinterested in motherhood or anything feminine, and not give a single shit about men.

It’s no wonder gen Z are so depressed, confused, and nihilistic.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
its so stupid and it wasn’t always like this.

Old school “empowered female”: you can be beautiful, sexy, and feminine, and also be tough and in charge + know what you have going for you.

Modern empowered female: beauty and anything stereotypically feminine is dirty and shameful. The only correct way is to be unattractive, mannish, disinterested in motherhood or anything feminine, and not give a single shit about men.

It’s no wonder gen Z are so depressed, confused, and nihilistic.
I dont even care about how western devs wants to designs their characters, their games, their choice.

My bigger problem is shit like these...
EFvAX4A0z71ny0Zyl4-Kd33_4dmElHAsQAlaonOUCkE.jpg
dbTr9Tt.png

I fucking HATE how western gaming industry thinks everyone in the world needs to follow their view and their view alone.

Bragr

Banned

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Last edited:

MH3M3D

Hated her character. The biggest disappointment in the series. No amount of bikini armour can save her looks anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I find it fascinating that several people here think that the criticism has anything to do with sex appeal.

I think it says more about you guys than anything else.

Do you really think that is the reason why people dislike her costumes? For fucks sake, look at what she is wearing.

She's dressed as a broom closet.

cb00e68f86d868ae760b6202b9052768.jpg

LOL at broom closet!!! It's the usual place people go when they are complaining about women's outfits in games.

Top Bottom