• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I Alone in not buying the Elden Ring hype?

rkofan87

Gold Member
Oh yea, unless you're like an absolute tank and can withstand direct hits, rolling is an absolute must. It's all about learning enemy attacks and just getting the timing down or just keeping distance and doing a wait and bait style of attack.

I don't know if you're ever played a Souls game but it's one of those things where you really gotta ignore how you would normally play a videogame. You honestly have to be pretty wary and patient with Souls games cause you'll get your ass kicked with a quickness. Elden Ring makes it pretty easy to just dick around and level up without throwing you into unavoidable battles and the coop mechanic is great if you have a friend to play with.

It's definitely not for everyone but as someone who likes the games (but has never managed to beat any of them), Elden Ring is the easiest one so far and I say that because you don't have to fight a boss in order to unlock the leveling system. It's automatic in Elden Ring. Something like Bloodborne, I still can't even make it to the first boss so I'm literally just doing the beginning section ad nauseum and making zero progress, lol.

You could easily put 30+ hours in the first area of Elden Ring and not even bother with the first boss. If you did that, you'd probably be able to take him out with relative ease.
thanks man ring is going back on the wish list

I'm am lvl37 and like 20hrs into the game. And I am mostly enjoying it. But my main gripe with it is the graphics. And I am playing on PS5.

It really is an ugly ass game too often. Horrible pop in like I have not seen since the PS3 generation! Unstable frame rate in areas that look worse than last gen. Their lighting solution make many outdoor areas looks particularly bad and washed out.

If this game looked at least as good as PS4 Witcher I would have no issue with people giving it 10/10. But they are still literally recycling PS3 gen assets and technology.

Hopefully someone will do a "remaster" 15 years from now. And this game will finally have the graphics engine it deserves!

I would still give this game a 8/10 just because I like the content and Souls style exploration and combat.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Gold Member
It really is an ugly ass game too often. Horrible pop in like I have not seen since the PS3 generation! Unstable frame rate in areas that look worse than last gen. Their lighting solution make many outdoor areas looks particularly bad and washed out.

Yeah riding around on the horse I've noticed some truly egregious popin.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I forced myself all the way through and liked it in the end (DeS), but I don't think I'll ever want to have the same experience again. I stopped playing ER after just around 6 hours. My time is more worth than a couple cheap deaths (there I said it, take this Soulsnerds, it's CHEAP).
It's definitely cheap in a lot of places.

Was it the first boss, Margit?

So damn tough, lol. I needed my buddy's help and even then it took like 15 tries before we finally got it.

I will say though, exploring and leveling up is so much easier in this game, if you jump back in try to just explore and level grind for a bit. Focusing on the main quest will just lead to frustration.
15? I think I challenged the guy close to a hundred times, and even when I finally did best him, it was at level 26 and I won by a hair's breadth.
I repeat, this is the first true story boss in the game. What kind of preposterous design choice is it that "focusing on the main quest will just lead to frustration"? Yes, the game allows you to explore a lot before challenging the first boss. But that's because doing that and fighting the guy with a level that you wouldn't even dream of needing for the first boss in previous Souls games is absolutely mandatory to get a chance to win the battle. You are not going to win the fight unless you're a hardcore Souls veteran who can roll and parry with their eyes blindfolded and you're using some cheap strategy, 'cuz otherwise you're doing next to no damage to the guy and the battle would take half an hour.
This, or that boss in my copy of the game is somehow 'roided through the roof. I swear Soul of Cinder didn't take me half as many tries.

Keihart

I'm am lvl37 and like 20hrs into the game. And I am mostly enjoying it. But my main gripe with it is the graphics. And I am playing on PS5.

If this game looked at least as good as PS4 Witcher I would have no issue with people giving it 10/10. But they are still literally recycling PS3 gen assets and technology.

Hopefully someone will do a "remaster" 15 years from now. And this game will finally have the graphics engine it deserves!

I would still give this game a 8/10 just because I like the content and Souls style exploration and combat.
i think it looks way better than the witcher 3 but im playing on PC. I wonder if it's just what i value on graphics or what, but i think it looks beautiful most if not all the time.
One great example against the witcher 3 are the trees, the way the sawy is implemented in elden ring is so much better because the trees only bend where they start getting flimsy meanwhile everything sways from almost the ground be it big or small on the witcher 3.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's definitely cheap in a lot of places.

15? I think I challenged the guy close to a hundred times, and even when I finally did best him, it was at level 26 and I won by a hair's breadth.
I repeat, this is the first true story boss in the game. What kind of preposterous design choice is it that "focusing on the main quest will just lead to frustration"? Yes, the game allows you to explore a lot before challenging the first boss. But that's because doing that and fighting the guy with a level that you wouldn't even dream of needing for the first boss in previous Souls games is absolutely mandatory to get a chance to win the battle. You are not going to win the fight unless you're a hardcore Souls veteran who can roll and parry with their eyes blindfolded and you're using some cheap strategy, 'cuz otherwise you're doing next to no damage to the guy and the battle would take half an hour.
This, or that boss in my copy of the game is somehow 'roided through the roof. I swear Soul of Cinder didn't take me half as many tries.
Did you do it solo or in coop? I don't think I'd be able to do it solo. My buddy is good at these games and has a decent build, with Margit you can kind of north/south him and get in hits when he's focused on someone. It's still tough as nails though.

I always mention it in Souls threads but shit, I can't even get to the first "boss" in Bloodborne, lol. Always get taken out by werewolves on the bridge. I'm glad ER allows you to actually level up and explore before gatekeeping you with a tough boss fight.

V4skunk

Banned
No it is not.

On very hard it is as difficult as a soul game, you get op af in both games with grinding eventually.

People around the web are getting their ass kicked on normal, and the game has 2 other difficulty levels.

Have you played the game on very hard or this is just the usual "sony games are easy" narrative??
You proved my point. Horizon has difficulty levels like easy mode which = more accessible.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You proved my point. Horizon has difficulty levels like easy mode which = more accessible.
Yeah and ER has multyplayer, magic invocations, powerfull ranged magic and some skills that make the game way easier, both games have "accessibility options" , just in different ways.

Playing with another 2 dudes (or even just 1) it's easy mode, if past souls games are anything to go by.

Elden ring is not the unforgiving sekiro.

Last edited:
I'm not as hyped. A combination of burn out and a mediocre PC port made it rather easy to not buy into the new game madness. I love the actual Dark Souls series. However, Bloodborne and Sekiro bored me to tears. Technically great games but the formula is getting a bit stale for me.

Yeah and ER has multyplayer, magic invocations, powerfull ranged magic and some skills that make the game way easier, both games have "accessibility options" , just in different ways.

Playing with another 2 dudes (or even just 1) it's easy mode, if past souls games are anything to go by.

Elden ring is not the unforgiving sekiro.

Those are not accessibility options. Christ souls players jump through the massive logic loops. Yeeeeeesh.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not at all From had GRRM writing, made it open world and more. Reviews gushed on it way more than they should too.

Why wouldn’t someone pick it up? It’s this attitude that makes Souls communities so toxic.
Because they are still from games at the core and you just need to see like 3 min of combat on yt to get that.

If i read an excellent review of spicy chicken i'm not gonna buy that chicken because i don't like spicy food, easy peasy.

Do you feel compelled to buy everything that gets a good review no matter what?

Last edited:
Because they are still from games at the core and you just need to see like 3 min of combat on yt to get that.

If i read an excellent review of spicy chicken i'm not gonna buy that chicken because i don't like spicy food, easy peasy.

Do you feel compelled to buy everything that gets a good review not matter what?

Yes because I give every game a fair shake. Honestly don’t even bother replying. You’re clearly a toxic souls player and I don’t want to hear it. Don’t bother.

ButchCat

The hype is definitely twisting my arm into considering it, but I am not gonna repeat the same mistake I did with Dark Souls III where I caved into the hype despite not being that interested in the game itself only then to play a few hours of it before giving up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Those are not accessibility options. Christ souls players jump through the massive logic loops. Yeeeeeesh.
I said in a different way.

They are not option that you turn on and off but you can still make the game way more easier and accessible, not sure why you called me out but ok.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes because I give every game a fair shake. Honestly don’t even bother replying. You’re clearly a toxic souls player and I don’t want to hear it. Don’t bother.
Giving a clear explanation is being toxic?? If you and other people can't even check a game on yt for 10 min to actually see if the game is for you or not then don't cry about reviews scoring or call other people toxic.

I have a functional brain, i check out if a game is for me or not before buying it, hype and reviews are for guillable people who can't think with their own head and they need someone else to tell them if they like a game or not.
I'm not gonna buy forza horizon 5 even if it gets 101/100 on mc, guess why...

Past from games always had great scores, if people didn't liked previous from games i don't see why even trying another from game, it is not like past games had 60 on metacritic and journalist loving from software is a new thing, unless you lived in a cave for the past 15 years...

And for the record, i'm not one of those from zealots in the slightest, i don't care if you don't believe me tbh.
I was one of the few who had doubts about the balancement of the game in the review topic, pretty sure that someone called me salty from hater or some shit, you really picked the wrong guy dude.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I watch videos from it and i'm just as unimpressed with it as i always am with From Software games.
But i do get the appeal though.
You watched videos of the game before buying into the hype and spending 70 euros?? How is that even possible dude? Are you some sort of super smart guy? Consider me impressed.

Last edited:
Giving a clear explanation is being toxic?? If you and other people can't even check a game on yt for 10 min to actually see if the game is for you or not then don't cry about reviews scoring or call other people toxic for your own stupidity dude.

I have a functional brain, i check out if a game is for me or not before buying it, hype and reviews are for guillable people who can't think with their own head and they need someone else to tell them if they like a game or not.
I'm not gonna buy forza horizon 5 even if it gets 101/100 on mc, guess why...

Past from games always had great scores, if people didn't liked previous from games i don't see why even trying another from game, it is not like past games had 60 on metacritic and journalist loving from software is a new thing, unless you lived in a cave for the past 15 years...

And for the record, i'm not one of those from zealots in the slightest, i don't care if you don't believe me tbh.
I was one of the few who had doubts about the balancement of the game in the review topic, pretty sure that someone called me salty from hater or some shit, you really picked the wrong guy dude.

You literally said don’t try the game it’s not for you and laughed at people who even wanted to try to get into it. Yeah that’s toxic. You’re now doing mental gymnastics to justify it.

People want to try the game. Let them try it without being rude. “Well we tollllld you it was not for you. You’re an idiot for even trying it”

Yeah that’s not toxic at all.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Theres an easy mode guys its called magic built

I would argue agaisnt. You sure can dit a shiton of damage, but there are enemies with very high magic resistance and you need to invest in magic and spells other than vitality and endurance, this ends making you a glass canon.

The best builds are hybrid ones.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I would argue agaisnt. You sure can hit shiton of damage, but there are enemies with very high magic resistance and you need to invest in magic other than vitality and endurance, this ends making you a glass canon.

Yeah im not saying abandon vitality and endurance completly but magic helps alot

Kokoro2020

I'm not interested in the game either. There's several games this year alone that I'm far more interested in.

That said, I respect people who are genuinely interested in the game, and are enjoying it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You literally said don’t try the game it’s not for you and laughed at people who even wanted to try to get into it. Yeah that’s toxic. You’re now doing mental gymnastics to justify it.

People want to try the game. Let them try it without being rude. “Well we tollllld you it was not for you. You’re an idiot for even trying it”

Yeah that’s not toxic at all.
Checking if a game is for you or not instead of cretinously believing the hype and reviews especially if you hated previous from games is mental gymnastic? i call that having a working brain dude.

I said watch some videos on youtube, maybe some feedback on forums from people who previously hated from games, inform yourself insteand of just believing reviews or rabid fromsoft fanboys inside forums.

Are you for real or this is like candid camera??

Dude a toxic fanboy would say "the title is too good to give up, git gud you scrub", what i'm saying is "don't waste 70 dollars on a game that is probably not for you", if you can't see the difference then it's on you.

it's not even a matter of insulting other people skills, there are way harder games than from software games out there, i don't feel elite for liking from games because i'm not even that good with them.

Last edited:
I always mention it in Souls threads but shit, I can't even get to the first "boss" in Bloodborne, lol. Always get taken out by werewolves on the bridge. I'm glad ER allows you to actually level up and explore before gatekeeping you with a tough boss fight.

Just.......run past them???? I swear the difficulty of these games is way overblown because people say stuff like this. These games aren't that hard, seriously.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just.......run past them???? I swear the difficulty of these games is way overblown because people say stuff like this. These games aren't that hard, seriously.
Dude, come on. They are hard, you're just good at them.

I never complain about the difficulty, I'm just stating that I'm not very good at the game and can't make it past the first section.

Hestar69

I would argue agaisnt. You sure can dit a shiton of damage, but there are enemies with very high magic resistance and you need to invest in magic and spells other than vitality and endurance, this ends making you a glass canon.

yup! as an astrologer Im pretty much made of glass and magic runs out FAST. I made myself a little stronger with and been using the meteoric ore blade and doing some damage that way.

manfestival

With all hyped things. There are always the overlyhyped and the non hyped out there. I guess these type of congregations are mandatory for the big entertainment hype content. Squid game, game of thrones, and etc. Will probably play this a year or so from now. Like I do with every souls game(except sekiro).

Dude, come on. They are hard, you're just good at them.

I never complain about the difficulty, I'm just stating that I'm not very good at the game and can't make it past the first section.
I ran past the wolves, just to die at the boss in one shot but at least I could level up after that.....I am not good at these games. Hell, I beat Bloodborne without using the parry mechanic, ever, because it was too difficult for me to learn the timing. I genuinely hope you give it another chance if that is all that kept you from progressing.

I didn't beat Margit until I was like SL 40, had my summon Ashes upgraded and a +3 Halberd. I haven't faced Godrick yet, but right now I'm so OP in Limgrave I'm one shotting most enemies. I'm literally the prime example of not needing to "git gud" to beat these games. I'm that guy that circle strafes bosses with his shield up, in full heavy armor while poking them with my Halberd until they pop.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I ran past the wolves, just to die at the boss in one shot but at least I could level up after that.....I am not good at these games. Hell, I beat Bloodborne without using the parry mechanic, ever, because it was too difficult for me to learn the timing. I genuinely hope you give it another chance if that is all that kept you from progressing.

I didn't beat Margit until I was like SL 40, had my summon Ashes upgraded and a +3 Halberd. I haven't faced Godrick yet, but right now I'm so OP in Limgrave I'm one shotting most enemies. I'm literally the prime example of not needing to "git gud" to beat these games. I'm that guy that circle strafes bosses with his shield up, in full heavy armor while poking them with my Halberd until they pop.
Wait a minute....all you need to do is make it to the first boss and you can level up after that?
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

(just googled it and it seems that's accurate)

lol. If only I'd known, then I would have just run past them! I figured you needed to kill the boss so I thought I should probably take out those wolves so they don't all tag team me in battle.

I'll definitely give it another go, I play it for a bit like every other month, even roaming around the opening area is satisfying for me cause I love the art direction. I'm sure I'll be fine once I can actually level up and start grinding.

I'm not good at souls games, that's why I'll not buy it, but I'm really curious... maybe one day when I'll pay a few pennies I'll take a ride... just to die badly every two meters.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

This type of video game is gonna be milked to hell and back. You don't need an amazing story, good gfx or anything new really. Just different enemies and rinse + repeat.

Its the new Assassins Creed.

Orpheum

Played around 30 hours so far.

It's a great game, honestly. Simply very very good. The only gripe i have is the performance but this is to be expected coming from FromSoft.

It doesn't beat the greatest game by from Software (and possibly one of the greatest of all time) though

That title still belongs to bloodborne

TMLT

Its a good game, but after 20ish hrs with it it i feel like i'm starting to get burnt out already. It might just be one souls like too many for me. I'm not sure the more open world direction is a better approach for this type of game either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not sure the more open world direction is a better approach for this type of game either.
I personally loving the open world part of Elden Ring, it just joy to explore and see what I can find, even tho might be a trap that transports me entirely different area with deadly enemies.....I LOVE IT!!!!

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Its a good game, but after 20ish hrs with it it i feel like i'm starting to get burnt out already. It might just be one souls like too many for me. I'm not sure the more open world direction is a better approach for this type of game either.
Go do a legacy dungeon.

Top Bottom