• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I Alone in not buying the Elden Ring hype?

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I think the thing is that this game has been rated so high because the reviewers are fans of this specific subgenre. Just like, someone who doesn't like racing games, they are not gonna properly review the next Gran Turismo. And the other thing, is if you see a 9.6 review of GT, and you're not a racing game fan, it doesnt matter, you know its not for you anyway. But this game sits in a weird genre space where its technically an action RPG which might interest a lot of people, but its really such a specific take on the genre to be its own thing. So someone like me who normally enjoys the action rpg genre, as broad as that term is these days, can still be repulsed by so much of this game. It exists in a weird space. And there have been a decent amount of articles suggesting even non-Souls fans should try this game and that's a garbage take. Once you know you don't like From's weird punishing obtuse take on the genre, you're not gonna be turned around by this game, but of course who hasn't been burned by FOMO, especially when you have so many BEST GAME EVAR takes everywhere.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
78vbqBc.png

I bought the game and played for a while then took it back to the store and got all my money back. I've played and beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne & Dark Souls III. I think I'm over FromSoft except for Otogi & Otogi 2.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I gave Demons Souls a chance and those type of games just aren't for me. It's not that they're "too hard", they're just the same as every other hack and slash game like God of War - learn the attack patterns, learn when to strike and with which attack. It's basic cookie cutter stuff that's been around for generations. The graphics are lackluster, the performance has always been lackluster, and the way the story is told etc just isn't for me.

Elden Ring just looks like more of the same. Will never play it, even if it's on game pass, and will not regret it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I gave Demons Souls a chance and those type of games just aren't for me. It's not that they're "too hard", they're just the same as every other hack and slash game like God of War - learn the attack patterns, learn when to strike and with which attack. It's basic cookie cutter stuff that's been around for generations. The graphics are lackluster, the performance has always been lackluster, and the way the story is told etc just isn't for me.

Elden Ring just looks like more of the same. Will never play it, even if it's on game pass, and will not regret it.
Stop reading after you said demon souls are just the same as every hack and slash game like god of war

Shows how clueless you are man but carry on

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
What makes it so different? It's all just about identifying attack patterns and timing attacks.
Like i said the fact that you describes demon souls are just the same as god of war shows how out of touch/clueless you are

I actually laugh cos this is such a good entertainment not just for me but for everyone reading this funny jibberish

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Like i said the fact that you describes demon souls are just the same as god of war shows how out of touch/clueless you are

I actually laugh cos this is such a good entertainment not just for me but for everyone reading this funny jibberish
So the fights aren't just about learning enemy attack patterns and timing? Do they have some sort of dynamic AI that invents new attacks and skills on the fly?

You can laugh all you want, but if you want to actually have a conversation you have to generally actually put forward some arguments. I'm guessing you can't and won't though.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Thats such a reductionist view like saying halo and cod are the same game cos theyre both fps but carry on i want to hear what else you gona say
No it's not, not at all. I'm talking about game mechanics, the very core of the combat that the entire game is literally built around. The viewpoint is not the same.

Yet again you have had zero actual points and are just trying to demean someone elses opinion. Are you going to post like an actual adult, which I assume you to be, though maybe that's not a correct assumption?

Airbus Jr

Banned
No it's not, not at all. I'm talking about game mechanics, the very core of the combat that the entire game is literally built around. The viewpoint is not the same.

Yet again you have had zero actual points and are just trying to demean someone elses opinion. Are you going to post like an actual adult, which I assume you to be, though maybe that's not a correct assumption?
No..no..no now you listen to me..

Demon Souls and God of War are not the same game and everyone know this and this only display your stupidity even further to everyone...

What kind of toxic shitake mushroom did you just inhale to came out with that stupid take?

Last edited:

RafterXL

This type of video game is gonna be milked to hell and back. You don't need an amazing story, good gfx or anything new really. Just different enemies and rinse + repeat.

Its the new Assassins Creed.
Dude, this "type" of video game has been around for a long time. King's Field came out in 1994 and Demon's Souls, which is the modern evolution, came out in 2009.

These aren't new games, this isn't some fad. Even if you count only the modern games it's just about as old as the Assassin's Creed series.

I'll also point out that in order to milk something you have to be able to reproduce the formula, and short of Team Ninja no one has even remotely come close to pulling it off.

SeraphJan

I think the thing is that this game has been rated so high because the reviewers are fans of this specific subgenre. Just like, someone who doesnt like racing games, they are not gonna properly review the next Gran Turismo. And the other thing, is if you see a 9.6 review of GT, and youre not a racing game fan, it doesnt matter, you know its not for you anyway. But this game sits in a weird genre space where its technically an action RPG which might interest a lot of people, but its really such a specific take on the genre to be its own thing. So someone like me who normally enjoys the action rpg genre, as broad as that term is these days, can still be repulsed by so much of this game. It exists in a weird space. And there have been a decent amount of articles suggesting even non-Souls fans should try this game and thats a garbage take. Once you know you dont like From's weird punishing obtuse take on thr genre, you're not gonna be turned around by this game, but if course who hasnt been burned by FOMO, especially when you have so many BEST GAME EVAR takes everywhere.
That's why IMO the best place for buying guide is actually Steam page, where it had clear tag "Souls-like"
Who would of thought:messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
No..no..no now you listen to me..

Demon Souls and God of War are not the same game and everyone know this and this only display your stupidity even further to everyone...

What kind of toxic shitake mushroom did you just inhale to came out with that stupid take?
No one said that they're the same game......?

I compared the core combat systems to those of other hack and slash games that rely on recognizing and memorizing enemy attack patterns and timing your attacks correctly. I gave god of war as an example, because that's exactly how the combat of those games work. The Souls games use these same combat principles of recognizing and memorizing enemy attack patterns and timing your attacks correctly. Do you disagree with this?

Comprehension skills seem to be the problem here, which is why it's seemingly impossible to have an actual conversation with you.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Read your original stupid post and come again
Again - your comprehension skills are the core part of why we're having this discussion. You think I said God of War and Demons souls are the same game. I didn't.

Suggesting that their combat systems and reliance on attack pattern memorization and attack timing aren't similar is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Again - your comprehension skills are the core part of why we're having this discussion. You think I said God of War and Demons souls are the same game. I didn't.

Suggesting that their combat systems and reliance on attack pattern memorization and attack timing aren't similar is ridiculous.
Man youre a joke think im done with you

Keep posting stupid things to say for good entertainment around here

Have a nice day

Last edited:

HAYA8U5A

I know it isn't my type of game and I know I wouldn't enjoy it but the big thing for me is if I watch gameplay of something like Dark Souls Remastered I wish I could get into it while when I watch gameplay of this I don't get that feeling. So in that sense I personally fall into failing to see what the hype is about but at the same time there is obviously something that people are loving and it would be silly to dismiss that and say the hype isn't deserved just because of my personal taste.

Last edited:

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
78vbqBc.png

I bought the game and played for a while then took it back to the store and got all my money back. I've played and beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne & Dark Souls III. I think I'm over FromSoft except for Otogi & Otogi 2. I'm not getting Stranger of Paradise FFO anymore either.
I returned my copy today, too. Finished DeS:R on PS5 before and liked it a lot. But found this one to be just meh, average at best. Boring at times even. And needlessly frustrating and disrespectful to my time. I never felt that way with DeS.

Helghan

I'm wondering what game will impress you.
I'm playing it on my XSX, I also don't find the graphics impressive. The art style on the other hand is amazing. Maybe the other guy is also making a distinction between those two.

mrmeh

I do think games can be much better than others that share the same core mechanics and there's lots of examples of this.. but if you don't like or are bored of the type of game its fair to not want to play another..

I have never played a souls game and am interested given the love they get on here but there not something that I would normally look at and think that I need to play... I had a PS3 for a bit and played God Of War and didn't think much of it. I didn't really get in to 2d fighting games when I was young maybe due to the amount of effort in perfecting the timing/mechanics/muscle memory (never minded a quick bash though) I see these style of games in much the same light.

kevm3

So the fights aren't just about learning enemy attack patterns and timing? Do they have some sort of dynamic AI that invents new attacks and skills on the fly?

You can laugh all you want, but if you want to actually have a conversation you have to generally actually put forward some arguments. I'm guessing you can't and won't though.
Inventing some new attack patterns on the fly would make the bosses nearly unbeatable.

Petopia

Banned
I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I think the hype for this game is way over blown. I knew next to nothing about this game until a few days ago being that From software games are not my style. I watched reviews from major sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc and many smaller reviewers on youtube. For the Life of me I can't see why the hell this game is hyped so much. I understand this is not a popular opinion and open myself up for some flaming. With that being said, watchng hours of footage I still do not understand the hype. Graphics are nothing special, Gameplay is nothing special, the game lacks the most important aspect, FUN! I want to like this game like people are shouting to the heavens about but I just don't see it.
Gotta play it to see it man, if its too hard just go back to games with aim assist and accessibility options like an easy mode.

Astral Dog

Playing it for 10 hours or so just made me appreciate what other games offer, from stronger narratives with unique characters to puzzles to exploration, more dynamic combat, stronger level design and lively towns filled with NPCs etc.

From does awesome ambiance and strong bosses / enemies, but im getting tire of their formula, couldn't enjoy Souls in open world nearly as much as previous or other games

Dev1lXYZ

I was cruising through Demon’s Souls on PS5 as a refresh for this one and feared that I would burn out on Elden Ring. I played about ten hours and put it down. Played GT7 until the servers went down and the new patch. Jumped back into it, and this time it got it hooks in. It is what it is, and that is a great open world dungeon crawling romp. Not for all, but I’m glad these games have caught on enough to garner mainstream praise.

jimmypython

I completely understand the FUN, but I have lost hype this time, meaning not getting it day one.

This is the first time I didn't get a SoulBorne (and Sekiro) game day one.

The reason is that I am deep in working on the the Shin Megami Tensei backlog these days lol...

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
OP is acting a bit maidenless

To the point: two of my favorite games of all time are Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild, and this game sort of melds both those streams so it should be the greatest thing ever. I'm sure it will be once I go a bit further, but so far it's still just behind both of those games in my estimation. Bloodborne is a more focused Souls experience and setting, and BOTW is a more fully explorative game with its climbing & physics, while Elden Ring has both but isn't quite exceeding either yet on their own turf.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

You’re not alone and it’s just hype.

The entire From souls series from Demons Souls on PS3 to Sekiro (their last game) have almost sold 25 million copies when you add in all their games.

That’s such a small amount for so many games. The souls cult has taken over for now. These games don’t have legs. Those who want the game bought it.

Bloodborne was just as hyped. Still is. Was a PS4 exclusive which has an install base over 100 million and…

2 million units sold.
Do you even understand what you are saying?

Everybody knows. Game can't be great if it doesn't reach once-in-a-lifetime sales.
That's why I only listen to Drake now & Justin Bieber back then.

Trash game only 2 million units sold. :messenger_pouting:

LENCH187

I played 70 plus hours and Im burned out on it.. think I played too much in a short time. Not played in about a week, zero motivation to load it up again and dont see me playing it again any time soon

Fantastic game though, and def got my moneys worth. I still like checking out the reddit sub and watching some speedruns, but as for playing it myself.. nah.

Nickolaidas

Stop reading after you said demon souls are just the same as every hack and slash game like god of war

Shows how clueless you are man but carry on
I slammed my head on a wall once he said Demon's Souls graphics were lackluster.

Unless he meant the PS3 one, which had ... decent graphics for its time.

Nickolaidas

So the fights aren't just about learning enemy attack patterns and timing?
Are you implying that God of War games back in the PS2 era weren't just mindless button mashers with the exception of the occasional cyclops which forced you to roll once in a while?

Rivet

I think it's a bit overrated. It's a great game for sure, but in my opinion it has way too many flaws to be a 97/100 game... Ultimately, it's an open world theme park with monsters waiting for you to kill them where they stand. It has tons of fun boss and mini boss fights though, for sure.

It doesn't change things that much from the usual Souls formula we know a bit too well now. Same stats, same kind of NPCs and checkpoints, same graphics, same reused animations... A good chunk of the loots are a bit useless, crafting doesn't bring much either. There's a lot of empty space too.

I like the boss fights, summons (although you mostly always use the same 2 or 3) and playing coop, but it's not very different from another Souls game. And don't play as a caster, otherwise you'll unfortunately use the same spells all game due to broken spell balancing, making every fight look a bit of the same...

Performance is also pretty bad, I have to play the PS4 version on PS5 to get a stutterless and locked 60 fps. Technically, Demon's Souls remake looks and feels like it's 1 or 2 generations beyond, which is a shame because technicals matter a lot at the end of the day. Immersion is brought down by the average graphics here, although art direction is still great.

I still love the game, but with all those flaws, I have a hard time understanding why it was rated so high. What's so different from the other Souls games ? I'm not sure being open world makes things so much better. You gain flexibility but you lose focus.

Last edited:
I was prepared to get frustrated with the game, but it turned into the best open world game I've ever played. Zelda is still more of a chill experience, but I like the core content of Elden Ring better (boss fights and more traditional levels, vs puzzles and weak bosses of BotW).

I am ready to go back into Dark Souls. I will google a guide on how to cheese it, though. The games are too fucking difficult for me lol.

Just hit 60 hours and I'm very close to the end at this point. It feels like it hit it's climatic point and now I'm probably only a few bosses from the end. It has been amazing but I'm glad it's nearing the end of my first playthrough. I'm looking forward to going back to this in 6-7 months and playing through as a totally different build.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
After beating (and platinumed) Elden Ring, my gamerlife feels empty.

I will respawn on tuesday for Returnal expansion!

Herr Edgy

Oh boy was I wrong. That was the old me

New me:
D8-C97674-54-E9-4-A71-9181-FA47617-BF698.jpg
I hope the lesson learned isn't "Elden Ring pretty gud actually" but "sales have no direct relation to quality". I really dislike people arguing for their respective favorite toy makers using metrics that shouldn't concern them as consumers.
Happy to see that plat though!

Top Bottom