• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft will allow streaming of your own games via xCloud in July 2024 - bar a few exceptions

S0ULZB0URNE

LOL. C'mon. Of course not.
But I own the games
Streaming on PS5 requires Premium. How is this different?
Who was talking PS5?

what-huh.gif

My PC isn't a old machine.
Putting only on a paid service makes it super niche.
Right. The machine you’re playing them on works only because Microsoft has already done a lot of work to make these old games forward compatible at no additional cost to you. Like I said, you own the game on an old device. You don’t like, own this indefinite right to be able to access them on any machine you want, at no additional cost to you. 😂

And Game Pass has like 30 million subscribers, and it works across all sorts of devices, which makes it the complete opposite of niche.

For example: I own The Thousand Year Door on GameCube. No one can take that away from me. But in order to play it, I have to plug in my old GameCube and put in my TTYD disc inside of the GameCube and figure out a way to connect it to a modern television. That’s on me. I don’t believe that Nintendo is obligated to provide me a completely free way to play TTYD on a modern device at no additional cost to play something I purchased over 20 years ago, on obsolete hardware they stopped supporting in 2007.

Last edited:

Three

It will. MS does have the option to buy the rights. It doesnt deny them from putting those games on xcloud.
It doesn't but I was just pointing out when somebody said "if it doesn't come", and you said "it will" that where things currently stand it's not happening according to the rumour.

S0ULZB0URNE

And they’ll work as designed for the device you bought them on/for. To use a new optional service will cost money. I’m not sure why you think it should be free. It costs money to manage these servers.
I don't think anything.
I just wasn't sure hence me asking. The answer=the feature being of no use for me.
Right. The machine you’re playing them on works only because Microsoft has already done a lot of work to make these old games forward compatible at no additional cost to you. Like I said, you own the game on an old device. You don’t like, own this indefinite right to be able to access them on any machine you want, at no additional cost to you. 😂

And Game Pass has like 30 million subscribers, and it works across all sorts of devices, which makes it the complete opposite of niche.
Again I have games on a newer device.

When we consider how many devices are compatible with GP that is a very small number in comparison./niche

I don't think anything.
I just wasn't sure hence me asking. The answer=the feature being of no use for me.

Again I have games on a newer device.

When we consider how many devices are compatible with GP that is a very small number in comparison./niche

No. That’s not correct. 34 million people have access to the same service across any of the supported devices. That increases the access and convenience to the user, not decreases.

And being able to access your old games on a newer device, has nothing to do with what you’re talking about. Other than acknowledging that it’s nice that Microsoft has done all this work to make those games work on a newer machine when you only owned them on an old machine. So, yes, the modern conveniences of forward compatibility that have been provided you for free is an awesome benefit to modern gaming.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Whenever I would benefit from cloud streaming, the tinterweb connection hasn't been good enough.

By the pool on holiday, in a hotel for work... Sat in a car on a day trip....

Never ever had a connection passable. I don't understand how people benefit from any of this.

Also, whenever I try to use xcloud I'm stuck in a queue for ages and give up.
Yeah, my main use case would have been in hotel on travel. But hotel WiFi is crap (even paid one) so whenever I tried GeForce Now or Xcloud is was terrible.

DaGwaphics

Cool. I can see this being very useful for people that spend time away from their Console/PC for vacations or even 15 or 20 minutes on a lunch break or something. Most of GP was already covered anyway, but getting most of the library in there will be nice.

S0ULZB0URNE

This thread is about being able to access your game library from streaming, which can be done via nearly any web browser by going to xbox.com/play
So why did YOU mention PlayStation when I ask a question?
No. That’s not correct. 34 million people have access to the same service across any of the supported devices. That increases the access and convenience to the user, not decreases.
The available devices far outweigh the subscribers.
Prob 500+ million possible customers.
And being able to access your old games on a newer device, has nothing to do with what you’re talking about. Other than acknowledging that it’s nice that Microsoft has done all this work to make those games work on a newer machine when you only owned them on an old machine. So, yes, the modern conveniences of forward compatibility that have been provided you for free is an awesome benefit to modern gaming.
Doesn't benefit me.
But you already know this.

feynoob

The available devices far outweigh the subscribers.
Prob 500+ million possible customers.
There two ways to think of this.

The availability of tvs allows more people to access.

The lack of servers hinders that access as you really need to be close to the data centers.

Whatever happens would depend on MS investment. And with Xbox turned out, I have 0 faith in them. They are just big tech with tons money and devote of ideas.

CamHostage

This is about allowing streaming of content you already own, so this doesn't come under 'less ownership'.

Kind of. You still are relying on a service to give you access to the thing you own, rather than having it in your hands to do with however you wish.

With a streaming game, you can't "void the warranty" and crack it open to mod it or to emulate it on a different platform in the future. You can't assume it will always be there on a far-away cloud. You can't have it your way.

(*Technically, in this case, you also can have the disc/DL for the same game. In fact, in this case you have "dual ownership" since you can now access two copies, which is even better as it is now. However, the principles in arguments against streaming are still sort of involved here and might get complicated as streaming services like Xcloud get bigger. There are also new digital rights tools publishers use to make even physical copies and other ownership methods less permanent, so "ownership" is all complicated these days anyway. So on paper, this sounds like the best of both worlds in how gamers can access games they "own", but dual ownership existed in home video and music markets yet didn't turn out to be paradise for media collectors, so probably there's still good reason to bring up objections/concerns.)

S0ULZB0URNE

Kind of. You still are relying on a service to give you access to the thing you own, rather than having it in your hands to do with however you wish.

With a streaming game, you can't "void the warranty" and crack it open to mod it or to emulate it on a different platform in the future. You can't assume it will always be there on a far-away cloud. You can't have it your way.

(*Technically, in this case, you also can have the disc/DL for the same game. In fact, in this case you have "dual ownership" since you can now access two copies, which is even better as it is now. However, the principles in arguments against streaming are still sort of involved here and might get complicated as streaming services like Xcloud get bigger. There are also new digital rights tools publishers use to make even physical copies and other ownership methods less permanent, so "ownership" is all complicated these days anyway. So on paper, this sounds like the best of both worlds in how gamers can access games they "own", but dual ownership existed in home video and music markets yet didn't turn out to be paradise for media collectors, so probably there's still good reason to bring up objections/concerns.)
Kinda what I was trying to say.

Quasicat

I’ve been waiting for this! After buying a steam deck, it seems like all I’ve been doing lately is playing cloud streaming on it, unless it’s a Sony game. Since I don’t have as much access to the TV as I used to, I might be able to get more than a couple of hours in on Hogwarts Legacy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yes, the bolded is the point I'm making. This is just talking about putting content someone owns on the cloud. Ideally, this is going to be content that someone can access on an Xbox or PC anyway, but if someone is based close to a data-center, they could potentially just buy a game to play off-of cloud alone. At least it's an option for now and not the only way to go about it, ala Stadia.

MarkMe2525

Whenever I would benefit from cloud streaming, the tinterweb connection hasn't been good enough.

By the pool on holiday, in a hotel for work... Sat in a car on a day trip....

Never ever had a connection passable. I don't understand how people benefit from any of this.

Also, whenever I try to use xcloud I'm stuck in a queue for ages and give up.
I use remote play and xcloud often, as we live a nomadic lifestyle (travel nurse), and more often than not it works good enough. I'm in rural Alabama at the moment and was able to play GoW5 for a solid hour, with no problem. Every once in awhile I'll get stuck in a few minute long queue, but that's not the norm. I guess YMMV.

Beechos

So is cloud gaming/game streaming good or bad now? I keep losing track.

(I don't have an issue with if by the way)
For me at least, anything xbox 360/ps3 and below feel native along with most indies. Anything modern the resolution suffers a huge drop and input lag is alot more noticeable. I only have xcloud and ps premium streaming as my experience.

MarkMe2525

I wonder if this will be better than remote play from my console to my Steam Deck?
I'm sure it would perform the same as xcloud does, as in it will depend on your connection quality and distance from a server. Are there significant differences between your remote play and xcloud experiences currently?

Edit: deleted quote as I missread question

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Big deal if true. Being able to access your game library from anything with a web browser.

How would this work if say; I wanted to play Ninja Gaiden Black?

If I don’t own a Xbox, are you saying I could stream it to perhaps my tv?

Top Bottom