• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: Pilot Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Set in 1958 New York, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel follows Rachel Brosnahan (House of Cards) as Miriam ”Midge" Maisel as she swaps her life as an upstanding housewife to one of a stand-up comic.

The Legend of Master Legend

Enjoy grimacing gaffs with John Hawkes' (Winter's Bone) homemade superhero Frank Lafount – aka Master Legend.

Budding Prospects

Based on T.C. Boyle's '80s novel, this pot comedy could be everything thing you need to unwind.

We follow three hapless city boys ditch San Francisco to launch their own marijuana business in Mendacino.

Oasis

Based on the cult novel The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber, you'll soon learn it's a hard life for a holy man trying to establish a colony on another world.

The New V.I.P.'s

The New V.I.P‘s marks new territory for Amazon, as its first adult animated comedy.

The storyline alone sounds hilarious: a group of low-level employees seize control of a major corporation after accidentally murdering their boss.

Mrs Maisel and Oasis are the ones I will check out.

120v

watched budding prospects last night. thought it sucked though i'd venture to watch more given the option

I was very surprised to see that the New VIPS was by Steve Dildarian, the guy who did Life and Times of Tim. I really liked "Tim", and would have preferred that Dildarian voiced the main character instead of Matt Braunger, who did nothing for me. Ben Schwartz was decent as the sidekick. I can't see it getting picked up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - 4.8 out of 5 stars (493 reviews) IMDb 9.4/10

Oasis - 4.6 out of 5 stars (629 reviews) IMDb 8.6/10

Budding Prospects - 4.1 out of 5 stars (175 reviews) IMDb 8.2/10

Legend of Master Legend - 4.2 out of 5 stars (157 reviews) IMDb 8.2/10

The New V.I.P's - 3.7 out of 5 stars (113 reviews) IMDb 7.3/10

Unducks

Neo Member
Utopia isn't bad except that I loved the book it's based on, and most of the elements that made that book incredible and meaningful are absent. I was skeptical going in because the book didn't seem very easy to adapt, and I was disappointed to find that they really played up the sci fi elements at the expense of the weight and heart of the source material. Not a bad sci fi show, but it could have been much more than that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What were the pilots last year, and which of them got picked up?

There were 2 batches of pilots last year:

From their first batch, they picked up The Last Tycoon and passed on The Interestings.

All 3 from their second batch were picked up: The Tick, Jean Claude Van Johnson, and I Love Dick.

aasoncott

Aaaand they're not available in Canada.

The disdain Amazon has for Canada is hilarious. Why even have Prime Video here if you aren't going to put your own damn content on it?

Exis

Only one of these I insist on getting made is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
I thought the hook of a period peice in the comedy world is right up my alley.

The rest didn't really do much for me, I would watch them I suppose.

I watched the first episode of Oasis, and thought it was really good. It starts off kind of slow but really ramps up by the end, and now I really need to know what happens next. One minor complaint, I'm so sick of that song by Rag and Bone man, Human. It is getting used in everything.

Rhoc

Oasis is right up my alley. I hope it gets picked up. If you are into sci-fi i highly recommend you to check out the pilot.

Busty

Banned
Amazon did next to no marketing for this round of pilots making me wonder if they are either A) not especially confident in this batch of pilots or B) not that interested in pursuing this pilot 'crowd sourcing' approach and will go back to the straight to series and internal development model like Netflix.

Personally I think this public voting on pilots is smart and differentiates it from Netflix and Hulu etc but perhaps it should be annual thing and more of an event with a majority of their slate coming from internal development.

I people who work in the business that didn't even know that Amazon had fired up some new pilots. Very curious.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Personally I think this public voting on pilots is smart and differentiates it from Netflix and Hulu etc but perhaps it should be annual thing and more of an event with a majority of their slate coming from internal development.

I people who work in the business that didn't even know that Amazon had fired up some new pilots. Very curious.

I'm not sure how much the voting really matters at the end of the day, but I do like the idea of it. As you said, it helps to differentiate Amazon from the rest of the crowd and it gets people more invested in new shows from the ground level.

At the same time, Amazon's roll out of pilots is always very random. I mean, look at the timeline:

1st pilot season (April 19, 2013)
2nd pilot season (February 6, 2014)
3rd pilot season (August 28, 2014)
4th pilot season (January 15, 2015)
5th pilot season (June 26, 2015)
Pilot mini-season (August 7, 2015)
6th pilot season (November 5, 2015)
7th pilot season (June 17, 2016)
8th pilot season (August 19, 2016)
9th pilot season (March 17, 2017)

One in the inaugural year, twice the next, four in the one after that, two in the following year, and then one so far this year.

I'm a TV fanatic and even I miss the boat on some of these things.

I agree that they would do well to make each season feel like an event - one people can get hyped for and look forward to - preferably by limiting it to once or twice a year, at the same time every year. That way people can mark their calendars and build some anticipation. As is, these stealth releases just aren't doing it for me (or, it seems, the general TV community either).

Amazon did next to no marketing for this round of pilots making me wonder if they are either A) not especially confident in this batch of pilots or B) not that interested in pursuing this pilot 'crowd sourcing' approach and will go back to the straight to series and internal development model like Netflix.

I like the voting thing in theory, but it annoys me how long it takes for these things to go to series once they're greenlit.

Slime

Banned
There's a new ASP pilot out there, it's supposed to be great, and I can't watch it.

This is what being in hell feels like.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - 4.8 out of 5 stars (4,004) IMDb 8.7/10

Oasis - 4.7 out of 5 stars (5,524) IMDb 8.4/10

Budding Prospects - 4.0 out of 5 stars (1,004) IMDb 7.3/10

Legend of Master Legend - 3.7 out of 5 stars (816) IMDb 6.7/10

The New V.I.P's - 3.3 out of 5 stars (643) IMDb 7.0/10

Compared to Day 1:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - 4.8 out of 5 stars (493 reviews) IMDb 9.4/10

Oasis - 4.6 out of 5 stars (629 reviews) IMDb 8.6/10

Budding Prospects - 4.1 out of 5 stars (175 reviews) IMDb 8.2/10

Legend of Master Legend - 4.2 out of 5 stars (157 reviews) IMDb 8.2/10

The New V.I.P's - 3.7 out of 5 stars (113 reviews) IMDb 7.3/10

Lifeline

Any of these worth watching?

VIP was okay, but wasn't doing anything different from other vulgar animated shows except being less funny.

Master Legend bored me, but the very last scene was intriguing

How's the rest?

Beefy

VIP was okay, but wasn't doing anything different from other vulgar animated shows except being less funny.

How's the rest?

Oasis deserves to be picked up.

Linkura

How's the rest?

Maisel is really, really good.

VanWinkle

Why's every show rated MA? I don't know why Amazon and Netflix don't branch out more instead of just doing kids shows or TV-MA shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom