• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 6600XT review

Armorian

Banned

Card is sometimes limited by poor memory bandwidth and x8 PCIE interface:

Wt1BTIQ.jpg

RT performance is just LOL worthy

KWcPA4K.jpg
PO1QBtr.jpg
CPIRU9j.jpg

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Wait so the first graph shows it being equal(ish, depending on the game) in performance to the 3060, and yet the ray tracing benchmark screenshot has it competing with the 3060 Ti? That doesn't make any sense at all. Plus the 3060 Ti is much more expensive.

I suppose the question is whether we can really get it for the advertised price. If I can get it for $400 then yeah it's a good deal against the 3060 (which is more like $600 where I live). If it's going to be more like $600 then fuck it I'll just wait as I have been doing.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Wait so the first graph shows it being equal(ish, depending on the game) in performance to the 3060, and yet the ray tracing benchmark screenshot has it competing with the 3060 Ti? That doesn't make any sense at all. Plus the 3060 Ti is much more expensive.

I suppose the question is whether we can really get it for the advertised price. If I can get it for $400 then yeah it's a good deal against the 3060 (which is more like $600 where I live). If it's going to be more like $600 then fuck it I'll just wait as I have been doing.

GPU is closer to MSRP of 3060ti maybe that's why

A thing he didn't mention is

That the card is only 8x pcie 4.0. which means if you drop it in a pci-e 3.0 slot it will only have half the bandwidth.

I posted this in OP, you lose some performance in some games.

Kenpachii

Pretty sure everything sits on the board and can be connected, it almost feels they did it on purpose for some reason. Maybe to make PCI-4.0 look more useful? who knows.

f6096012d6c405a25f9ab9164dd6d279.png

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Pretty sure everything sits on the board and can be connected, it almost feels they did it on purpose for some reason. Maybe to make PCI-4.0 look more useful? who knows.

They did something like this for 5600XT too.

6600XT:

- high price
- ~5700XT performance
- abysmal RT performance
- shit memory BW (worse than 5700XT in memory limited scenarios)
- limited PCIE bus

Yet, for some people AMD will always remain saint :lollipop_halo:

I can't forgive them Ryzen 5xxx pricing...

Kenpachii

6600XT:

- high price
- ~5700XT performance
- abysmal RT performance
- limited PCIE bus

What's weird i sit on a discord of the biggest tech site in my country where people buy cards and drop hints of where cards will be stocked ( how i got my 3080 within a week basically ), and lots of people do buy AMD it seems. I just can't wrap my head around it at the prices they gotta pay for it.

Last edited:

Reallink

3060Ti FE is $399 chief, 6600XT is $380, they're as close to direct competitors as you can possibly get. It's simply a trash product like all of AMDs GPUs, quite possibly their worst of all time given its more than 3x lower performance in the real world scenarios 99% of people buying new $400 GPUs would be looking to play these games in.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Card is sometimes limited by poor memory bandwidth and x8 PCIE interface:

Wt1BTIQ.jpg

RT performance is just LOL worthy

KWcPA4K.jpg
PO1QBtr.jpg
CPIRU9j.jpg

Also i must say the dude is really coming around with his video's. he finally starts to include stuff like DLSS benchmarks and even goes as far as native + dlss without raytracing which i don't even see other people do.

Gamer nexus lately is dropping the ball a bit with his reviews, they are empty of content.

Last edited:

scydrex

6600XT:

- high price
- ~5700XT performance
- abysmal RT performance
- limited PCIE bus

I agree. I think this GPU is the worst one of the 6000 series and the Ryzen 5xxx pricing sucks. I can´t forgive them neither.

supernova8

Banned
3060Ti FE is $399 chief, 6600XT is $380, they're as close to direct competitors as you can possibly get. It's simply a trash product like all of AMDs GPUs, quite possibly their worst of all time given its more than 3x lower performance in real world scenarios 99% of people buying new $400 GPUs would be looking to play these games in.

next to nobody is picking them up for $399 though, and now all you can get is AIB cards which are absolutely not $399.

AGRacing

6600XT:

- high price
- ~5700XT performance
- abysmal RT performance
- limited PCIE bus

I'm an AMD guy and own a reference 6900 XT - I have NO problem calling this card a piece of garbage.

Garbage price for this.
$300 max for this level of performance.

But AMD knows they're gonna sell every last unit and if the AIB's and retailers are gonna raise prices, they may as well bring that gross margin up a few percent while they're at it.

Also i must say the dude is really coming around with his video's. he finally starts to include stuff like DLSS benchmarks and even goes as far as native + dlss without raytracing which i don't even see other people do.

Gamer nexus lately is dropping the ball a bit with his reviews, they are empty of content.
Is he coming around or has Nvidia been extra nice? Personally I believe people with no morals don't develop morals overnight.

52124584ecad041839000018

Marlenus

That level of performance at that power level is pretty good IMO.

Pricing is shocking but that is the market we are in because even at $380 you will not find them priced that low.

MSRP vs MSRP and yes, this card is poor value vs the 3060Ti. Street vs Street and we need to wait and see.

Reallink

next to nobody is picking them up for $399 though, and now all you can get is AIB cards which are absolutely not $399.

Next to nobody is able to buy GPU's period, but Best Buy does routinely drop FE's at MSRP. If people are too rich to give a fuck or too childishly impatient to wait, getting reamed by AIB's is on them, they're willfully paying an artificially inflated price. $380 is the price of a 6600XT full stop, there is no $280 AMD edition that's perpetually sold out.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
GPU reviews are like tasting cookies and measuring each cookie's diameter, circumference, thickness and kJ content :D. Then saying at the end:

I LIKEH DIS BETTER DAN EVERYTING ELSE! THIS IS THE COOKIE!

(c) Cookie monster approved!

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
What I want from a review like this is the following:

- 1080p FPS performance in latest crysis like game in normal, ultra, raytrace mode.
- same in 1440p.
- in the first 2 minutes.

Then in the rest of the video they can fight over numbers and flags.

Hoddi

AMD's Turing moment as mentioned in the video. Dark times indeed.
I wouldn't even put these in the same category. Turing is almost three years old at this point and you're basically getting the same performance for the same price.

Like, you could have been having this performance for three entire years but you saved 100 bucks. Yay.

supernova8

Banned
Next to nobody is able to buy GPU's period, but Best Buy does routinely drop FE's at MSRP. If people are too rich to give a fuck or too childishly impatient to wait, getting reamed by AIB's is on them, they're willfully paying an artificially inflated price. $380 is the price of a 6600XT full stop, there is no $280 AMD edition that's perpetually sold out.

Point taken but "on the street" if it's available for roughly the same price as a 3060 (non Ti; I'm not in the US so the best buy stuff is irrelevant to me personally) and trade blows with a 3060 performance-wise, I will compare it to the 3060 and not the 3060 Ti (which from my googling is routinely going for a lot more than the 3060 anyway), and I wouldn't shy away from buying one.

If it ends up being more than a 3060 "on the street" (let alone Ti) then yeah of course I'm not buying it.

I'm in Japan and, for the most part, used GPU prices are generally in line with performance. Here we still need to pay like $500~$600 for a 1080 Ti because it (generally, excluding DLSS and RT of course) matches or beats (but hardly loses to) the 3060 (which is also going for about $600 or more). So yeah if the 6600 XT performs around a 3060 I would expect it will end up priced that way.

Only positive is that if AMD really does have as much supply of 6600 XT as claimed, it should do a little to alleviate prices (ie more supply, quench some thirst demand), but I won't underestimate the power of scalpers just buying up every single unit to be able to maintain their effective cartel :D

Anyway not even sure where I'm going with this post anymore. Bottom line for me is that the 3060 Ti is (in real terms, not in terms of MSRP) probably priced way above what a 6600 XT will end up going for, so that's why I see no point in comparing it to the Ti. Plus, even AMD compared it to the 3060 not the Ti. They obviously know how well their card performs (and chose not to compare it to the Ti for a reason).

(to clarify: I'm saying that 6600 XT is an OK deal IF only the 6600XT keeps its MSRP and no other GPUs. Of course if the likes of the 3060 Ti etc all go back down to real MSRP then those are better options. My comment is more a discussion of actual prices (since MSRPs are a pipe dream at the moment)).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$400 for this shit?
32 CUs at 2.589 Ghz = 10.6 Tflops. This 'shit' is the PS5 GPU. ;p Or as close as the PS5 GPU we are going to get with a desktop RDNA 2.0 card.

We need Alex to do a comparison here with XSX, the PS5 and the 6600xt and 6700xt which is a 13 tflops card to see just how they compare.

The Ass Creed comparison is very interesting because it is on par with the 3070 Ti in this AMD sponsored game. Alex found that the PS5 was somewhere between the 2080 Ti (3070 equivalent) and 2080 Super. I doubt Alex's stress test here is very accurate because the PS5 should be performing much better if the 6600xt is any indication.

0syltyz.jpg

sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs Any thoughts?

Kenpachii

32 CUs at 2.589 Ghz = 10.6 Tflops. This 'shit' is the PS5 GPU. ;p Or as close as the PS5 GPU we are going to get with a desktop RDNA 2.0 card.

We need Alex to do a comparison here with XSX, the PS5 and the 6600xt and 6700xt which is a 13 tflops card to see just how they compare.

The Ass Creed comparison is very interesting because it is on par with the 3070 Ti in this AMD sponsored game. Alex found that the PS5 was somewhere between the 2080 Ti (3070 equivalent) and 2080 Super. I doubt Alex's stress test here is very accurate because the PS5 should be performing much better if the 6600xt is any indication.

0syltyz.jpg

Its pointless to look at ac valhalla, the game is straight up completely butchered on nvidia hardware. Any comparison in it is useless, u should only use this to compare it towards AMD hardware.

Here's a example, nvidia performs incredible poor in this title because there is no optimisation even remotely for it, its a AMD sponsored title.

26d607a14272e7f31298e02ed453d1dd.png

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

0syltyz.jpg

I know. I am comparing the AMD cards here.

As mentioned before ACV is a joke, it doesn't even scale with GPU power well. This engine is a complete fucking mess, both in DX11 and DX12...

Game that performs as expected, Hitman 3:

Zx7J0iF.jpg

PS5 GPU is somewhere between 5700 and 5700XT and so is 6600XT but I guess in memory limited scenarios (4K) PS5 should blow this GPU out of the water.

Kenpachii

Is he coming around or has Nvidia been extra nice? Personally I believe people with no morals don't develop morals overnight.

52124584ecad041839000018

Don't think so, because u will not see valhalla on his bench charts which skews results drastically against nvidia and should honestly not even been taken in benches unless u really wanna buy a GPU specifically for that title.

He however goes deep into the RT and DLSS games, so he's trying to improve himself and frankly its far deeper then i saw other reviewers even attempt. so its good information and frankly i applaud him for doing so.

However the main issue i have with the guy still stays and that's his "game average charts' they are misleading and not very useful and basically make most of his effort worthless as this is what people look at and he knows it.

9b50165b7f42d6004d9aa3453719c844.png

And frankly if you look at that, i think u are getting close to 3060 ti performance in modern games with easily playable framerates at high settings .

But then when that guy boots up a game like this.

8f767969210f42d99ea9225ff64a15d3.png

He can't even play it at high on stable framerates on a new gpu.

He really needs to push out RT and DLSS/FSR in his averages right under it with performance scores to give a good view on how things perform in reality.

FireFly

PS5 GPU is somewhere between 5700 and 5700XT and so is 6600XT but I guess in memory limited scenarios (4K) PS5 should blow this GPU out of the water.
According to TechPowerup's charts, the 6600 XT is only slower than the 5700 XT at 4K. At 1080p it's 6.5% faster, and at 1440p it's 3% faster.

Considering the power consumption, that's actually a great result.

sncvsrtoip

0syltyz.jpg

According to techpowerup in 1440 faster than 5700xt and similar to 2070super but slower in 4k (probably bandwidth linitation), in rt little above 2060 and slower than 2060super

Last edited:

Md Ray

0syltyz.jpg

Good idea.
For an even closer to the PS5 GPU, AMD should release a graphics card with the following specs as an RX 6700:

36 CUs clocked slightly above PS5 GPU (I'll tell you why in a bit). Then for the memory, use a 192-bit interface,12GB GDDR6 16 Gbps chips. This should provide a nice 384 GB/s of memory bandwidth, I know it's 448 GB/s on PS5, but some of it is shared with the CPU as well, so the GPU BW across both these GPUs should be more or less be the same... Perhaps a tiny bit less on the desktop part? This is where the slight increase to the core clock might come in handy to compensate for slightly less bandwidth.

Oh, and the inclusion of infinity cache should further improve efficiency and perf.

All in all, this is likely the kind of specs you'll need to achieve near-identical perf to the PS5 GPU using a desktop RDNA 2 part. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

EDIT: (tl;dr)
My proposal for a PS5-level GPU:
RX 6700

36 CUs
12GB GDDR6 / 384 GB/s

Last edited:

Rikkori

They low-key released the best mining GPU ever - lol. The more I look at the numbers the more incredible it is. Almost tempting to make a rig of 'em. I think people don't understand this card will never be in stock at the MSRP they're crying about.

Top Bottom