• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD gives you maximum RT performance

Thebonehead

Banned

AMD have showcased this video showing that the 7900 series cards offer "maximum RT performance"

Ironically they show cyberpunk using medium rt settings in it, So is medium the new max?

This video seems like a misfire, in that they should be extolling the virtues they have to hand, i.e. vram and price to raster performance, rather than solely focusing on something their competitors do better.

What say you gaf?

Fredrik

Medium ray-tracing and fsr set to performance = 67fps on Cyberpunk
Seems really low, no?
Don’t know what this card is usually compared with though.

OCASM

Banned
AMD is still very competitive in rasterization performance but they need to do something about ray tracing because there they're getting completely destroyed by NVIDIA.

Reactions: Gp1

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Poor AMD. They know the windo for raytracing is nearly up, and they haven't caught up. Within on or two more generations of nvidia cards this will be very much the norm for PC development and leap frog it again over consoles, so AMD need to catch up....they saw far from it.

Bojji

AMD is still very competitive in rasterization performance but they need to do something about ray tracing because there they're getting completely destroyed by NVIDIA.

AMD cards (RDNA2) are fine in light RT (shadows, AO, even some games with reflections) and in games that have RT on consoles performance is usually ok and close to Nvidia. But for games that have Nvidia logo and have super heavy RT effects performance is absolutely dreadful, for example anything path tracing kills AMD GPUs.

FC6 with RT in 4k:

HJ3uCyA.jpg

But yeah, AMD shouldn't brag about RT performance when they are behind (sometimes by a lot).

Last edited:

Loxus

Poor AMD. They know the windo for raytracing is nearly up, and they haven't caught up. Within on or two more generations of nvidia cards this will be very much the norm for PC development and leap frog it again over consoles, so AMD need to catch up....they saw far from it.
AMD manage to get their best card to more or less match Nvidia last gen best. If anything, AMD is closing the gap.
C13AVXy.jpg

This goes for FSR too, I never thought it would have been that good and well received. No doubt FSR 3 will close the gap even further.

Looking at the bigger picture, it's kind of sad people consider AMD a failure without looking at their improvement.

Mr.Phoenix

I think AMD should not do a single thing more with their raster pipeline. Their next GPUs improvements should solely go to RT performance and AI upscaling.

I felt the single biggest slap in the face on AMD in the past 2 years was Intel releasing their first GPU and having RT on par with an Nvidia GPU and running circles around AMD GPUs in RT and reconstruction technologies. That shit is just embarrassing.

lyan

It is unfortunate, there is a place for what they specialize in currently, the present cards as time goes on won't be able to handle future games with RT and that's when vram and rasterization performance matters, but this is a hard aspect to market to the public.

Mr.Phoenix

AMD RT is just a generation behind Nvidia, so they are not that far behind. The issue with AMD, is that RT is its least focused on and developed tech in their GPUs.

They are doing this stupid thing on focusing on raster performance so that picks up the slack of their RT shortcomings. Whereas what they need to do is an Nvidia, and that's what they seem to not what to do. Remember the 20 series? That was Nvidia leaving raster mostly untouched from the 10 series cards but building AI and RT tech into their GPUs. AMD needs to do the same.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

They’re almost always behind in tech, but I don’t think it’s even been as worse as now with Nvidia going nuts with RT and ML

The thing is they also have to catch up in ML too. While peoples are still flabbergasted how it’s possible for cyberpunk 2077 to have path tracing due to the witchcraft that is ReSTIR (RTXDI), Nvidia is already researching the next step with NRC, neural radiance cache, using AI for even faster performances.

They’re not sitting on their laurels

AMD RT is just a generation behind Nvidia, so they are not that far behind. The issue with AMD, is that RT is its least focused on and developed tech in their GPUs.

On a RT performance per CU basis, it’s worse than Turing. Enable path tracing and Mid range Turing, while having shit performances, is also in the realm of shut performances that a 7900XTX will see 9 fps at 3840x1600 FSR balanced.

It’s hard to find direct comparison with Turing because those users are often with older CPUs too, but it’s not even 3060 territory, somewhere in mid range Turing, for a LOT more CUs

They are doing this stupid thing on focusing on raster performance so that picks up the slack of their RT shortcomings. Whereas what they need to do is an Nvidia, and that's what they seem to not what to do. Remember the 20 series? That was Nvidia leaving raster mostly untouched from the 10 series cards but building AI and RT tech into their GPUs. AMD needs to do the same.

Yeah

Their engineering decision for hybrid RT/rasterization pipeline to save silicon area and complexity to get MORE rasterization made sense. But they also never really got the advantage there either by huge margins. Nvidia has reportedly ~25% of silicon dedicated to RT and ML and they still managed to trade blows within a few % in rasterization too on a worse node (ampere). Now a 4080’s 379mm^2 is a few % difference with AMD flagship that has 529mm^2 total

So yeah, that solution is hitting a wall soon. Intel is more of a threat by catching up in RT rapidly (on paper, their drivers don’t make sense with path tracing games).

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Technically I like the concept of amds approach. One core that does everything having RT built into every core. Eventually that will pay off but they are 2 years behind.

winjer

AMD and NVidia have different ways of doing ray tracing.
NVidia is using a shallow BVH with 3 levels, resulting in lower granularity for boxes. But NVidia can do a lot more raytriangle tests.
So Nvidia wastes little time creatimg and traversing the BVH, but then has to cast more rays.
AMD is doing a deep BVH with 8-9 levels, having greater granularity and requiring casting fewer rays.
But this has the problem of wasting a lot of time creating and traversing the BVH. And is very dependent on cache size and latency.
On RDNA2 and 3 this is mostly done on the L2 cache. One of the biggest reasons for the increase in performance in RT for RDNA3, is that it has a bigger L2 cache, with lower latency.
This improved the RT cores occupancy by a lot, compared to RDNA2.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Will go team red once they release they something that will outperform Nvidia…competition is good and at the moment they are on the losing side but time will tell if there solutions is a good bet

MikeM

Maximum? Bold claim when the 4080 and 4090 manhandle both 7900xt and xtx in RT.

My 7900xt can do RT decent but its game dependent. I want to buy CP2077 for science to check out this overdrive mode. Maybe I could run it well at 1080p? Maybe…

It's marketing bullshit. Not hating on AMD they make some good cards but this is bullshit. Nvidia 4000 cards wipe the floor with AMD cards. I think AMD are roughly a generation behind Nvidia.

They might give you the max performance but only compared to other AMD gpus and at certain settings :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Will go team red once they release they something that will outperform Nvidia…competition is good and at the moment they are on the losing side but time will tell if there solutions is a good bet
My first GPU was an AMD one and I loved it. I'd happily go back but I need to see something that out performs a Nvidia card. I was seriously considering getting the 7900XT but then I saw the 4000 cards. I think the 7900XTX is technically faster than a 4080 in rasterization by a few % but Nvidia makes up for it by having better raytracing and DLSS 3. And the price difference at the time between those cards was only £150

Last edited:
Yeah early 2000 9800pro the GOAT
I did have a PC in 2000 but it was a shitty prebuilt supermarket thing. I remember my dad taking me to buy it. That's crazy to think about now :messenger_tears_of_joy: I did try play some games on it.... there was Flight Simulator game that took about 15-20 minutes to load and there was a motorbike game i played all the time but I can't remember the name of it. The poor thing wasn't built for gaming. I eventually blew it up trying to plug my guitar amp into it trying to record myself. totally fried the motherboard.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I did have a PC in 2000 but it was a shitty prebuilt supermarket thing. I remember my dad taking me to buy it. That's crazy to think about now :messenger_tears_of_joy: I did try play some games on it.... there was Flight Simulator game that took about 15-20 minutes to load and there was a motorbike game i played all the time but I can't remember the name of it. The poor thing wasn't built for gaming. I eventually blew it up trying to plug my guitar amp into it trying to record myself. totally fried the motherboard.
Motocross madness?

Three

AMD have showcased this video showing that the 7900 series cards offer "maximum RT performance"

Ironically they show cyberpunk using medium rt settings in it, So is medium the new max?

This video seems like a misfire, in that they should be extolling the virtues they have to hand, i.e. vram and price to raster performance, rather than solely focusing on something their competitors do better.

What say you gaf?

Maximum RT performance is probably a clever and disingenuous way of saying getting some level of RT but with good/max performance (fps). Not maximum RT settings.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I wish AMD would take a deep breath and step back from these kind of things, lol. There are great things about their new GPUs, but trying to flex on RT and Nvidia just ain't it. Especially when there's plenty more that could be done, and Nvidia is doing what they're doing very well.

I just REALLY want Nvidia to get some GREAT competition, because I feel like they've gotten a little too full of themselves in a variety of ways, and they need to be grounded. AMD has come pretty close, but then they do things like this where people can look at it and go, "I don't know about that...." 🤦‍♂️

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I wish AMD would take a deep breath and step back from these kind of things, lol. There are great things about their new GPUs, but trying to flex on RT and Nvidia just ain't it. Especially when there's plenty more that could be done, and Nvidia is doing what they're doing very well.

I just REALLY want Nvidia to get some GREAT competition, because I feel like they've gotten a little too full of themselves in a variety of ways, and they need to be grounded. AMD has come pretty close, but then they do things like this where people can look at it and go, "I don't know about that...." 🤦‍♂️
Their marketing is terrible. Last week it was “sure Nvidia might be faster now, but we have more VRAM and that might be important later on”. Now it’s “hey guys we can do medium RT settings!”

hlm666

Maybe reviewers will start to include more RT enabled games in their reviews now that AMD themselves seem to think it's important.

rsouzadk

As much as i like amd, their gpus right now even with the jump in performance are far from a good buy as rdna2 were. AMD just shit themselves princing it like it is now, but i have to give credits to the nvidia shit pricing themselves too.

This whole generation (apart from the amazing tech, like path tracing, dlss3, etc), seems like a complete scam just because pricing.

JackMcGunns

AMD manage to get their best card to more or less match Nvidia last gen best. If anything, AMD is closing the gap.
C13AVXy.jpg

This goes for FSR too, I never thought it would have been that good and well received. No doubt FSR 3 will close the gap even further.

Looking at the bigger picture, it's kind of sad people consider AMD a failure without looking at their improvement.

How's the performance/dollar between the 7900 XTX vs 4080 and 4090?

AMD 7900 XTX = $1000
nVidia 4080 RTX = $1200
nVidia 4090 RTX = $1600 (Some retailers asking $1800 and $2000)

Quick math shows a 20% gain in price for only a 16% gain in performance and a 60% gain in price for the 4090 base, for a 55% performance gain, unless you paid 1800 or 2000, now you're looking at 80% and up to 100% price hike for 55% performance.... hmm.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I don't think they are trying to flex on anyone, they are just showing that their cards can also do RT, and that you can get decent framerates (albeit with performance on FSR2 which never looks as nice for me as in these videos, quality is the only setting I use). They can't give up mindshare completely on the only thing that can really stress a modern GPU currently.

Banned
Good One Reaction GIF

doesn't event the Intel A770 run Cyberpunk in RT Overdrive at higher framerates than the 7900XTX?

Last edited:
Top Bottom