• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD GPU 6600xt is now only $189. What it means for PC Gaming.

Crayon

It means nothing really as PS5 will still perform better in your average multiplat game thanks to better console optimization

It's close enough to a ps5 and it is under $200. That shouldn't be too exciting but gpu prices have been screwed up for a long time. This actually makes sense. As we speak, a trashola 6500XT is $140. A $190 6600XT seems like the first thing to make sense in awhile. RDNA3 cards are still not all released and have frame gen not even out. Current consoles are RDNA2. It's not even that old in the scheme of things.

Zathalus

The info for the 13400f says otherwise direct from Intel's Ark, so a benchmark of a setup (with stock cooler) that thrashes AVX2 and uses 6 cores- like CoD heavy CPU settings do - and can sustain those frequencies would help convince me. Although when did getting no change out of £350 between CPU/mobo mean budget PC?
The z series mobos are the price of the B760 mobo that I saw in my search engine, so feels kind of moot if Intel have let them go outside spec to provide overclocking/fully unlocked power if the costs end up the same beyond budget PC.

The AMD offering looks pretty good, but given the market share, most people are typically in the market for Intel kit, hence why I used K and Z (which are intel related), so what I said is still true. A decent intel six-core CPU and mobo able to sustain 3.6Ghz across cores with support for Gen 4 PCIe and DDR5 isn't available - like was available in the past, when there was less tiers for CPU and mobo features and budget PCs really were budget.
Ark shows a single core max clock of 4.6Ghz:

Obviously all core would be lower, but testing shows the sustained clocks of all core at 4.1Ghz:

A B760 motherboard can easily allow even high end CPUs sustain max clocks:

A 6 (+4) core Intel and a motherboard that has PCIE 5 plus DDR5 can be had for a good price:

Just a bit over $330. If you change the CPU to a previous gen 12400f (still 6 core and 4Ghz all core) you can drop the price to $270.

supernova8

Banned
It's close enough to a ps5 and it is under $200. That shouldn't be too exciting but gpu prices have been screwed up for a long time. This actually makes sense. As we speak, a trashola 6500XT is $140. A $190 6600XT seems like the first thing to make sense in awhile. RDNA3 cards are still not all released and have frame gen not even out. Current consoles are RDNA2. It's not even that old in the scheme of things.
Would love to see the 6700 XT come down to about $250. Having that 12GB of VRAM makes it that much more future-proof assuming VRAM requirements are going to keep going up, but yeah as a budget build it's awesome.

Also it's totally serviceable if you just run stuff on a mix of medium/high settings, and not ultra settings like all the tech reviewers seem to insist on.

draliko

I love how pc gamers are happy about some decent offers (finally) and funnily this annoys people that don't play on pc or doesn't plan to. This price is good for cheap upgrades or casual players (that in reality are the 70% of the pc market) the rest have already brought something more powerful. GPU market is indeed fucked up and whit the AI craze starting it isn't getting any better.

Zathalus

GPU market isn't quite that dire, but it does require you to purchase AMD.

6700XT - $330
6800 - $430
6800XT - $510
6950XT - $630
7900XT - $760

Nvidia is wack though, lack of VRAM and higher prices.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
GPU market isn't quite that dire, but it does require you to purchase AMD.

6700XT - $330
6800 - $430
6800XT - $510
6950XT - $630
7900XT - $760

Nvidia is wack though, lack of VRAM and higher prices.
6700xt in europe is about 380 euro and that's too expensive
7900XT costs 960 euro ( cheapest)

Zathalus

6700xt in europe is about 380 euro and that's too expensive
7900XT costs 960 euro ( cheapest)
Yeah prices in America are much better. Although I can pick up a 7900XT in the Netherlands for 820 euro and a 6700XT for 350 euro. Oh and a 6950XT for 660 euro.

PaintTinJr

Ark shows a single core max clock of 4.6Ghz:

Obviously all core would be lower, but testing shows the sustained clocks of all core at 4.1Ghz:

A B760 motherboard can easily allow even high end CPUs sustain max clocks:

A 6 (+4) core Intel and a motherboard that has PCIE 5 plus DDR5 can be had for a good price:

Just a bit over $330. If you change the CPU to a previous gen 12400f (still 6 core and 4Ghz all core) you can drop the price to $270.
The ark info shows that in normal gaming (6 core multi-core) on a regular PC budget mobo - the B760 is a new chipset for this year and very expensive - the base clock will recede way below the expected 3.6GHz for gaming.

For anyone buying since the B760 mobos, that £270 price is much better than £350 or needing a Z mobo or a K CPU or both - like one of my other nephews - but my point is still valid, when you should have been able to take a bare 10400 for £90, add a cooler £10 and add it to a mobo of £50-70 and get a similar setup - just will lower IPC performance - without even comparing to the PS4 gen situation of buying a £50 mobo and a £40 Pentium Gold with a GTX 770 to out perform PS4/X1 for a long time.

Zathalus

The ark info shows that in normal gaming (6 core multi-core) on a regular PC budget mobo - the B760 is a new chipset for this year and very expensive - the base clock will recede way below the expected 3.6GHz for gaming.

For anyone buying since the B760 mobos, that £270 price is much better than £350 or needing a Z mobo or a K CPU or both - like one of my other nephews - but my point is still valid, when you should have been able to take a bare 10400 for £90, add a cooler £10 and add it to a mobo of £50-70 and get a similar setup - just will lower IPC performance - without even comparing to the PS4 gen situation of buying a £50 mobo and a £40 Pentium Gold with a GTX 770 to out perform PS4/X1 for a long time.
The B760 isn't expensive, I linked one in my response that is $125. You mentioned wanting to have DDR5 and PCIE5 and those would require you to either have a B660 or B760 at minimum. I didn't bother linking a B660 as the B760 is basically the same price. The 13400f will never drop below 4.1Ghz on the P-cores on any B760 or B660 motherboard. Not sure why you mentioned 3.6Ghz, no modern processor should clock that low.

Yes, a decent console beating CPU and motherboard is more expensive compared to 10 years ago, but a modern motherboard with all the latest features and a 6 core 4Ghz processor for $270 isn't exactly breaking the bank.

If you want to go ultra cheap and still have DDR5 it's possible though. Just use a H610 or A620 motherboard for like $80. You won't get PCIE 5 but it's really not needed as no GPU even uses that.

Might look a little behind after the ps5 pro, but if you are buying two consoles a generation, the value proposition is uh..... halved.

Not really, I have always traded in my previous console at Gamestop. Always had a good deal towards buying the new one.

I did PS2->PS3->PS4->PS4 Pro->PS5

Will do the same for PS5 Pro

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

The B760 isn't expensive, I linked one in my response that is $125. You mentioned wanting to have DDR5 and PCIE5 and those would require you to either have a B660 or B760 at minimum. I didn't bother linking a B660 as the B760 is basically the same price. The 13400f will never drop below 4.1Ghz on the P-cores on any B760 or B660 motherboard. Not sure why you mentioned 3.6Ghz, no modern processor should clock that low.

Yes, a decent console beating CPU and motherboard is more expensive compared to 10 years ago, but a modern motherboard with all the latest features and a 6 core 4Ghz processor for $270 isn't exactly breaking the bank.

If you want to go ultra cheap and still have DDR5 it's possible though. Just use a H610 or A620 motherboard for like $80. You won't get PCIE 5 but it's really not needed as no GPU even uses that.
You are missing my original point entirely.

The budget PCs have always been top heavy, where the bulk of the money is spent on the GPU - which would be good enough to transition to a new base for a budget gamer.

Your cheapest viable Intel solution - and only became possible since the B760 - spends at least 1/3td more on just two components than the GPU, a compromised B series chipset motherboard and a compromised Core i5 CPU, when at that price both K and Z series hardware - even older models - start to look like better value for the foundation of a PC long term, given the PC isn't getting under £700 when factoring storage. RAM, a decent case, and suitable PSU and a £30 license for Windows. £700, and every component in the system other than maybe the RAM, NVME drive, the PSU and case are all looking like they belong in a £400-500 PC.

At £700 spend a budget PC(I'd argue that isn't budget) should be spending at least £350 on the GPU. Not spending far more on the CPU+Mobo than the mid tier GPU

Zathalus

You are missing my original point entirely.

The budget PCs have always been top heavy, where the bulk of the money is spent on the GPU - which would be good enough to transition to a new base for a budget gamer.

Your cheapest viable Intel solution - and only became possible since the B760 - spends at least 1/3td more on just two components than the GPU, a compromised B series chipset motherboard and a compromised Core i5 CPU, when at that price both K and Z series hardware - even older models - start to look like better value for the foundation of a PC long term, given the PC isn't getting under £700 when factoring storage. RAM, a decent case, and suitable PSU and a £30 license for Windows. £700, and every component in the system other than maybe the RAM, NVME drive, the PSU and case are all looking like they belong in a £400-500 PC.

At £700 spend a budget PC(I'd argue that isn't budget) should be spending at least £350 on the GPU. Not spending far more on the CPU+Mobo than the mid tier GPU
Your original statement was this:

"You've missed the point of the K level CPU, or the z series mobo.

Without either you can't typically run a CPU and hold its clockspeed at 3.6Ghz"

I was pointing out this is not true, you can sustain over 4Ghz clocks with a non K and B series motherboard easily. Over 5ghz with AMD.

Yes PC parts are across the board more expensive then they used to be, but there is no need to buy expensive K and Z series parts if you want good gaming performance from your PC.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Your original statement was this:

"You've missed the point of the K level CPU, or the z series mobo.

Without either you can't typically run a CPU and hold its clockspeed at 3.6Ghz"

I was pointing out this is not true, you can sustain over 4Ghz clocks with a non K and B series motherboard easily. Over 5ghz with AMD.

Yes PC parts are across the board more expensive then they used to be, but there is no need to buy expensive K and Z series parts if you want good gaming performance from your PC.
(my original point in my first post)
But the "AMD" is disingenuous when most people buy Intel - based on market share which I already stated - and the K suffix and Z prefix (and 10400F) told you - and everyone else - that this was about Intel budget PCs. which have dominated that segment even since the i586.

Other than firmware, there is zero reason why most of the mobos from £30 -70 can't do the same unlocked frequency as the new B760 orz-series. It is artificial tiering that backs up my first post conclusion that this is the worst time ever in the history of budget gaming PCs(so since PC cases with a PSU could be had for £50) to build. There's no value in the intel side of the market, even with this GPU at a reasonable price/performance.

The AMD setup looked better at first glance, but add on the prices for the GPU, Case, PSU and nvme drive and windows to the £400 bundle and you are still at least £200 over a budget PC at ~£850, even if it is a decent PC... where the GPU is then the weakest link again, with just 1/4 or less of the budget paid for the traditional (critical) gaming component, but at least it is a foundation worth keeping, but at that budget it is probably competing with a K or Z or K and Z intel config, butat £900 do gamers really want a 6600XT with just 8GB in their system? and is that really a budget PC?

Last edited:

Zathalus

(my original point in my first post)
But the "AMD" is disingenuous when most people buy Intel - based on market share which I already stated - and the K suffix and Z prefix (and 10400F) told you - and everyone else - that this was about Intel budget PCs. which have dominated that segment even since the i586.

Other than firmware, there is zero reason why most of the mobos from £30 -70 can't do the same unlocked frequency as the new B760 orz-series. It is artificial tiering that backs up my first post conclusion that this is the worst time ever in the history of budget gaming PCs(so since PC cases with a PSU could be had for £50) to build. There's no value in the intel side of the market, even with this GPU at a reasonable price/performance.

The AMD setup looked better at first glance, but add on the prices for the GPU, Case, PSU and nvme drive and windows to the £400 bundle and you are still at least £200 over a budget PC at ~£850, even if it is a decent PC... where the GPU is then the weakest link again, with just 1/4 or less of the budget paid for the traditional (critical) gaming component, but at least it is a foundation worth keeping, but at that budget it is probably competing with a K or Z or K and Z intel config, butat £900 do gamers really want a 6600XT with just 8GB in their system? and is that really a budget PC?
Intel is no longer the overwhelming force in PC, AMD has gained massive marketshare and now counts for a third of all processors sold, and is still gaining.

You can indeed get high clock speeds with sub $100 dollar boards. A H610 for Intel can easily do over 4Ghz sustained with a 12400f/13400f, or even well over 5Ghz with something more powerful. For AMD A620 does the job as well. These motherboards can be found for around $80.

Your prices are also off, you can build the following PC for $640:

12400f 6 core, 4.1Ghz
H610 motherboard
16GB DDR5 4800
8GB 6650XT
1TB Nvme
700w PSU
Corsair Case

That's the equivalent of $490 back in 2013 and would easily play any modern title at 1080p. A $1100 PC like you mentioned would be way more powerful. Something like this:

AMD 7600/7700 (depending on deal).
B760 motherboard
32GB DDR5 6000
16GB 6800XT (or GeForce 4070 for $50 more)
1TB nvme
700w PSU
Corsair Case

Nobody would put a 6600XT in a $1000 build.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
tbf, isnt PC require better hardware to brute force? most game run like ass on PC nowadays.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
tbf, isnt PC require better hardware to brute force? most game run like ass on PC nowadays.
Define "MOST".
Cuz a 12400 (I use one) can basically run everything at 60 and lower tax titles much higher.
I already lock my framerate between 90 and 120 depending on the title.
But a 12400 paired with a 3080(I got it in a trade for an FHR 3070 im not crazy), does everything I need to from a gaming perspective, literally the only reason im looking to RaptorLake-R is for multi-threaded workflows I have to do from home and to extend the life of my LGA1700 MB till Intels true next generation CPUs.

Draugoth

Gold Member
How on earth is PC gaming niche? It's almost as large as all three console manufacturers combined.

• PC Building isnt as easy as pluging in a console
  • PCs are still mostly used as work tools instead of entertainment machines
  • Most PCs in househoulds are too underpowerd to play recent gaming releases consistenly
  • Most people cannot afford parts replacement/ upgrading on a consistent basis due to price variation and income.
  • Consoles have lifespans that are over 6 years meanwhile new improved PC parts are released every year (with the expection of GPU generations)
There's a reason why games like Valorant, League of Legends, Fortnite are incredible popular. They can run on the shittiest machines.

PC Master Races are the expection, not the rule.

Last edited:

Zathalus

then why most developers prioritize console port first?
Frankly a large number of reasons, console partnerships, easier to optimize for (main reason I wager), and likely that AAA has (usually) better upfront sales.

But even then, PC versions of games have not usually been worse off then consoles.

Denton

They don't, usually when there is a narrative about "bad PC port", the accompanying console version is just as bad. Looking at you, Jedi Survivor, Forspoken, Ghostwire, Gotham Knights and many others. On average PC versions are on par with console ones, but provide better experience (if not at launch, then a bit later) eventually (like Gotham Knights, which runs at buttery smooth 60 on PC now, while still being locked to 30 on consoles).

Zathalus

• Most PCs in househoulds are too underpowerd to play recent gaming releases consistenly
  • Most people cannot afford parts replacement/ upgrading on a consistent basis due to price variation and income.
  • Consoles have lifespans that are over 6 years meanwhile new improved PC parts are released every year (with the expection of GPU generations)
There's a reason why games like Valorant, League of Legends, Fortnite are incredible popular. They can run on the shittiest machines.

None of that is evidence that PC gaming is niche. Steam has over 140 million active monthly users and that doesn't include any games from Epic (Fortnite), Riot (Valorant/LoL), or Blizzard (D4, WoW).

Of that massive Steam userbase, almost 30% have a GPU equal or more powerful then a PS5, so 40 million.

Then we have this:

Newzoo_Games_Market_Revenues_2020.png

PC building can range from as easy as clicking 'buy now' on Amazon to as hard as assembling your custom water loop inside your DIY case. It can range from as expensive as $800 every 7 years to buying a new system every year. You have the option of a desktop, laptop, or handheld and they all play the same games. The second hand market is also incredibly robust.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

With so many PCs out there and people playing so many games (from literally all generations), prioritizing console release, your "direct" competition is actually smaller and returns can be higher.

When you look at the most played games on steam its very different to the most played games on PS and Xbox.

DKuhgK4.png

IfYAnlg.png

ULiPrfe.png

Roxkis_ii

I have a console bias, but I want to ask a sincere question. Can you actually run games at 4k, 30 fps on equivalent ps5 setting for under 1k on PC?

Topher

Gold Member

"Most people" don't own consoles at all. Does that make console gaming niche?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Like on consoles, with upscaling, it is possible.
Even without upscaling it is, but why would you want a 4K30 machine? If you want that, get a shitty CPU and a high-end GPU keep total costs down. Hitting a stable 30 won't be hard at all but high frame rates will be a bitch. A 1440p60 machine is much more desirable for pretty much everyone.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Even without upscaling it is, but why would you want a 4K30 machine? If you want that, get a shitty CPU and a high-end GPU keep total costs down. Hitting a stable 30 won't be hard at all but high frame rates will be a bitch. A 1440p60 machine is much more desirable for pretty much everyone.
Most of the recent PS5 games arent even close to 4k 30 fps. Dead Space, Forspoken, Star Wars, FF16, Remnant 2 are practically 1080p using DRS and FSR, and even freaking Diablo 4 is using reconstruction from 1296p to get native 4k.

Not to mention just how poor some of these 60 fps modes really are. Dropping to 720p or 600p and still pretty much 35-40 fps. Only Sonys internal studios seem to be able to consistently hit native 4k 30 fps and their output is basically down to 1 game this year.

The bandwidth issues with the 6600xt will not come into play at 1080p 60 fps or 1440p 60 fps at medium console settings. Textures will be the only thing you will have to compromise on, and even then nanite will solve that going forward thanks to its small vram footprint.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

What you are saying is correct.
But what I was just answering the question that user posted. If that is what he wants, it's his prerogative.

Roxkis_ii

What you are saying is correct.
But what I was just answering the question that user posted. If that is what he wants, it's his prerogative.
Not what I wanted, but I just curious if pc's have gotton to to the point where you could run ps5's games around the same setting for less then double the price.

I have a gaming laptop with a 3060 and 6gb of vram that I got for 1k (down from 1.6k) earlier this year and I'm scared to even try to run any current gen games. Was wondering if the desktop space was different.

Senua

I have a gaming laptop with a 3060 and 6gb of vram that I got for 1k (down from 1.6k) earlier this year and I'm scared to even try to run any current gen games. Was wondering if the desktop space was different.
Why? I'm sure it'll be mostly fine just be smart with the settings. But you always get a much better bang for buck with desktops, I'm not a fan of gaming laptops

edit: obviously the other components mean a hell of a lot too especially cpu!

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not what I wanted, but I just curious if pc's have gotton to to the point where you could run ps5's games around the same setting for less then double the price.

This is a problem, laptops aren't very upgradeable. I don't want to come off as an assholr here but it really frustrates me when console gamers who dismiss pc gaming use a laptop. Many benefits you're missing out on because you didn't purchase a cheaper upgradeable desktop

You'd have to play on low settings with that one, 6gb is LOWWWW.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

That 3060 6GB has close to the power of a PS5. It's problem is that it only has 6GB of vram.
But it does have DLSS2 which is the best upscaler in the market and can improve performance quite a bit. DLSS Performance at 4K is quite usable.
Try it on a few games and see if you like it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

WTF??? None of these matter for the popularity of pc gaming. If you play anything on any pc it's pc gaming.

Last edited:

scydrex

Outisde the USA is more expensive to build a PC. For example a 4090 in my country are around US$2400-2500. If i order online something that cost over $500. I would have to pay around 30% of taxes of the cost. If a GPU cost $600 add $180 of taxes so $780 for example. The PC gamer who live in the USA thinks that in other countries the PC hardware cost the same as in the USA.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Outisde the USA is more expensive to build a PC. For example a 4090 in my country are around US$2400-2500. If you buy something that cost over $500 you have you pay around 30% of taxes of the cost. If a GPU cost $600 add $180 of taxes so $780 for example. The PC games who live in the USA thinks in other countries the OC hardware cost the same as in the USA.

^^. Decrease in prices of hardware in the USA doesnt not impact hardware prices in other countries. Any hardware price will only impact that specific country. 6600XT being sold at $189 will have no impact whatsoever in PC Gaming because other countries wont have access to that price point.

WTF??? None of these matter for the popularity of pc gaming. If you play anything on any pc it's pc gaming.

It does if you are consider Personal Computers as an entertainment device for gaming.

None of that is evidence that PC gaming is niche. Steam has over 140 million active monthly users and that doesn't include any games from Epic (Fortnite), Riot (Valorant/LoL), or Blizzard (D4, WoW).

I wasnt talking about Steam, but PC Gaming as a whole,

Of that massive Steam userbase, almost 30% have a GPU equal or more powerful then a PS5, so 40 million.

And 36,15% are using GPUs weaker than what the PS5 provides. That's 50 Million people

Then we have this:

Newzoo_Games_Market_Revenues_2020.png

Most of that revenue comes from F2P Games or games with heavy monetization features

Since you bought Steam, you can see that on the top charts. You dont need an 6600XT to run any of the games.

PC building can range from as easy as clicking 'buy now' on Amazon to as hard as assembling your custom water loop inside your DIY case. It can range from as expensive as $800 every 7 years to buying a new system every year. You have the option of a desktop, laptop, or handheld and they all play the same games. The second hand market is also incredibly robust.

This is only the case within the USA.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That 3060 6GB has close to the power of a PS5. It's problem is that it only has 6GB of vram.
But it does have DLSS2 which is the best upscaler in the market and can improve performance quite a bit. DLSS Performance at 4K is quite usable.
Try it on a few games and see if you like it.
It's not a desktop with a 3060. It's a gaming laptop.

Pretty big difference there. They have similar performance but it depends on the power profile of his notebook. Last I checked, it was 115W so assuming his laptop isn't gimped by power, he should be fine and get relatively close to a desktop performance.

Last edited:

Zathalus

^^. Decrease in prices of hardware in the USA doesnt not impact hardware prices in other countries. Any hardware price will only impact that specific country. 6600XT being sold at $189 will have no impact whatsoever in PC Gaming because other countries wont have access to that price point.

It does if you are consider Personal Computers as an entertainment device for gaming.

I wasnt talking about Steam, but PC Gaming as a whole,

And 36,15% are using GPUs weaker than what the PS5 provides. That's 50 Million people

Most of that revenue comes from F2P Games or games with heavy monetization features

Since you bought Steam, you can see that on the top charts. You dont need an 6600XT to run any of the games.

This is only the case within the USA.
Yes, a ton of PCs are weaker then the PS5, but then again so are most consoles. All the PS4s, Xbox One, and Switch devices are weaker then most gaming PCs.

I think BG3 already selling 5.2 million copies on PC already proves PC gaming is not niche. Those are numbers that the best selling Sony games struggle to match.

Some developers have already admitted that most of the revenue they have come from PC, most notably Activision and Capcom.

Top Bottom