• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced the dates for revealing Zen 3 and RDNA 2

MarkMe2525

They must have a lot of PR spin strategies to go through. They need to be cheeeeeeeeeeap. Give us the XSX gpu for $199!!!

Last edited:

00_Zer0

More excited to see Zen 3 than Big Navi. I just don't think AMD can compete head to head with Nvidia given what we already know about the 3000 series.

SantaC

That's so far off for RDNA2. What's going to happen is that after AMD announces their RNDA2 cards (which I expect to be very competitive against the 3070 and 3080), Nvidia will announce the Ti variants.
Thats what been said all the time. The graphic cards have always been late Q4.

This is not news.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
have fun!

thought about it. but i will probably stick with 3700x over the crossgen period and go with something that supports DDR5 after.

I've not built a new PC in quite a while, if I had a 3700x I would probably hold off as well.

Can't hold out any longer, so Zen 3 build, and then upgrade down the road if I have to.

GreatnessRD

I'm salty the GPUs aren't showing anything till damn near the launch of the new consoles. It has now put in my mind that Big navi might not be up to snuff like I'm hoping. I am excited to see Vermeer though. Hoping Asus gives my B450 a beta bios like everyone else. But it appears doubtful.

nochance

Banned
Basically they have been caught off guard by NVidia and are now trying to duct tape something together that will not be an absolute embarassment and at the same time will not cause the company to lose money on every sku sold.

Who could have predicted that? :messenger_robot::messenger_face_screaming:

typical AMD marketing fail once again.
hyping something guerilla style via twitter yesterday, just to announce an announcement.

an announcement that is coming 1.5 months to late.
everybody's gonna buy nvidia in the meantime.

Nvidia's timing and marketing is so on-point.

Their 3000 series reveal was so lean, so smooth, so well-executed that Microsoft, Sony and AMD would benefit from taking a page out of their PR-during-Covid book.

Could it be AMD was forced to clumsily announce the announcement for events that are more than a month away precisley because they quickly wanted to get the message out that they have something competitive up their sleeves and people should, in their minds at least, hold off on buying a RTX3000 card?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Basically they have been caught off guard by NVidia and are now trying to duct tape something together that will not be an absolute embarassment and at the same time will not cause the company to lose money on every sku sold.

nah there isn't anytime left for that partner cards are already speced out according to many sources.
I guess they could announce something coming in the future though. 🤷‍♂️

If AMD brings something equivalent to a RTX 3060/3070 for a decent price... I might be interested.

navi22 is rumoured to be around 56 to 64 of RDNA2 CUs. so roughly series X silicon with higher clocks (min 2Ghz). hopefully that will slot in the 5700xt price segment (maybe rx 6700 (56CUs) and 6700xt (64CUs) ... like 400 to 450 bucks. but it may end up as the 6800 line depending on how well it clocks. however it should beat the 3060 handily and be at 2080ti/3070 level.

dave_d

All I want to see is how their $300-$350 level 3rd gen ryzen compares to the 10700k. I'm assuming that's going to be the 4700x or 4800x. Bring it on.

Nvidia's timing and marketing is so on-point.

Their 3000 series reveal was so lean, so smooth, so well-executed that Microsoft, Sony and AMD would benefit from taking a page out of their PR-during-Covid book.

absolutely!

Could it be AMD was forced to clumsily announce the announcement for events that are more than a month away precisley because they quickly wanted to get the message out that they have something competitive up their sleeves and people should, in their minds at least, hold off on buying a RTX3000 card?

i would think so. they probably don't confidently know how good rtx availability will be.

00_Zer0

Nobody expected AMD to compete with Intel too and here we are.
I welcome competition, because I don't always choose Nvidia for my GPU, as a matter of fact I quite like my Sapphire Nitro Plus RX 5700 XT in the rig I have now.

I knew when I got the card that AMD's drivers were weak, but also I knew that the 20 series (specifically the 2070 and the 2070 Super) had weak sauce ray tracing functionality, so I chose the 5700 XT and I was mostly not disappointed. It's a great 1440p card with custom software from Sapphire that outdoes many of the bells and whistles that AMD offers.

The thing is, ray tracing and DLSS seem like they will be widely adopted this time around, and I don't trust AMD to compete head to head with those kinds of features. I fully expect AMD to be one step behind. With the RTX 3080 I'm ensured to get all the bells and whistles without the hassle of worrying about faulty driver updates or software functionality.

nochance

Banned
nah there isn't anytime left for that partner cards are already speced out according to many sources.
I guess they could announce something coming in the future though. 🤷‍♂️
I think that they will show their "flagship" which is what they planned to be their high end and will have similar performance to RTX 3070 (not sure about ray tracing performance though) and also the duct taped "beast" card that will at least on some level on paper fall somewhere between RTX 3080 and 3090 (TFLOPS anyone?).

McHuj

This is an announcement of announcements, right? We're probably looking at another +2-3 weeks for shipping products.

Jon Neu

Banned
"Leadership perfomance"

z2CvR6.gif

Nehezir

Banned
typical AMD marketing fail once again.
hyping something guerilla style via twitter yesterday, just to announce an announcement.

an announcement that is coming 1.5 months to late.
everybody's gonna buy nvidia in the meantime.
nah. I just got my 2070 like...a year ago? Imma wait. don't have to upgrade every generation.

I do agree that AMD Lags behind tho.

MiguelItUp

Seems late, but at least we have a date.

I'm actually kind of surprised they decided to reveal them at different times too. Why not just lump it into one exciting reveal?

I think that they will show their "flagship" which is what they planned to be their high end and will have similar performance to RTX 3070 (not sure about ray tracing performance though) and also the duct taped "beast" card that will at least on some level on paper fall somewhere between RTX 3080 and 3090 (TFLOPS anyone?).
How can you be so clueless? Its an architecture that has been in development for 5 years and we knew RDNA2 was coming in November more than 6 months ago.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Late October? That leaves enough time for the Nvidia gpus to sell out and be restocked.

AMD is fucked.
It’s too late to sway early adopters from picking up a 3080 or even a 3070. Dumb move.

nochance

Banned
How can you be so clueless? Its an architecture that has been in development for 5 years and we knew RDNA2 was coming in November more than 6 months ago.
Precisely why they are scrambling at the moment which is evidenced by these terrible pr moves. Their long term strategy did not predict the significance of raytracing and utilising machine learning.

Not that AMD has significant share in the gaming market, but by allowing NVidia to ride the hype wave and restock they are basically ensuring that the only people using their gpus will be die hard fans and crypto miners.

Precisely why they are scrambling at the moment which is evidenced by these terrible pr moves. Their long term strategy did not predict the significance of raytracing and utilising machine learning.

Not that AMD has significant share in the gaming market, but by allowing NVidia to ride the hype wave and restock they are basically ensuring that the only people using their gpus will be die hard fans and crypto miners.
Rushing would be releasing a gpu in September-October which they are not. They are sticking to their plan ignoring whatever nvidia is doing.

Ascend

nVidia releases cards first: AMD is always late!
AMD releases cards first: Hm, I better wait for nVidia.

No one is capable of launching a card from scratch in one month. It's much more reasonable to assume that they were simply waiting to see what nVidia does, and then answer accordingly. That is something that can be done in a month.
In fact, AMD would be better off financially by allocating all their resources to create more Zen 3 CPUs and leave Radeon in the dust. If they didn't think they could be competitive, they simply wouldn't bother.

And btw, they announced way before nVidia's announcement that their RDNA2 graphics cards would be out before the consoles... So...

Not that AMD has significant share in the gaming market,
Consoles exist.

Last edited:

CuNi

So RDNA2 GPUs are literally DOA.
I'm not going to wait 1.5 months for a paper launch on something that is rumored to "maybe, maybe not" compete with a 3080.
Also it'll probably be another 2-4 weeks from announcement to actual release, so actual RDNA release is in november, most likely alongside consoles.
Yeah no thank you. I'll get that Zen3 CPU to go with my 3080.

Sorry AMD, maybe next time you get your timing right.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
That’s too late for my timeline. Going with Ampere. I don’t feel like waiting around that long just to find out the specs and performance, let alone buy it.

Top Bottom