• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced the dates for revealing Zen 3 and RDNA 2

Ascend

typical AMD marketing fail once again.
hyping something guerilla style via twitter yesterday, just to announce an announcement.

an announcement that is coming 1.5 months to late.
everybody's gonna buy nvidia in the meantime.
It’s too late to sway early adopters from picking up a 3080 or even a 3070. Dumb move.
That's VERY late for the Potential RTX3070/3080 competitor...
So RDNA2 GPUs are literally DOA.
I'm not going to wait 1.5 months for a paper launch on something that is rumored to "maybe, maybe not" compete with a 3080.
Also it'll probably be another 2-4 weeks from announcement to actual release, so actual RDNA release is in november, most likely alongside consoles.
Yeah no thank you. I'll get that Zen3 CPU to go with my 3080.

Sorry AMD, maybe next time you get your timing right.
That’s too late for my timeline. Going with Ampere. I don’t feel like waiting around that long just to find out the specs and performance, let alone buy it.
To all of you... A genuine question...

So... What is really the justification to being unable to wait one month?
Fear of missing out on Ampere cards?
Inability to keep your need for the newest thing in check?
Is there a particular game you need Ampere for a month earlier? Even Cyberpunk 2077 comes out November 18th.
Hype only?
What is it?

Again, this is an honest question. Because honestly, I cannot understand this mindset.

Last edited:

CuNi

Is there a particular game you need Ampere for a month earlier? Even Cyberpunk 2077 comes out November 18th.
Hype only?
What is it?

Again, this is an honest question. Because honestly, I cannot understand this mindset.

When new GPUs launch and they offer such a leap between 2 gens, you can be sure they will be fiercely fought over.

I don't want to wait 6 weeks for a paper launch, then another 2-3 weeks for actual release, then again 1 or 2 weeks for benchmarks to release only to sit there around early december with all cards backordered till february 2021 because everyone and their grandma want to upgrade right now because of the very good price point of Ampere and, presumably, RDNA2.

Another reason is upcoming games.
Many gamers want to take this chance and upgrade their rigs to play CP2077, at least from what I can tell this was one of most told reason on different reddits.
I myself look forward to playing Destiny 2 beyond light on newer hardware, my 970 is just not cutting it anymore, and I can imagine there is a lot of people out there with games they have on their wishlist that release around October/November that they want to use new GPUs on, like Star Wars Squadrons, new World of Warcraft, Destiny 2 expansion, Cyberpunk 2077 and don't forget, Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 is getting a VR mode as well.
If I were one of those guys, and I am since I'm slowly really needing this upgrade, the choice between "waiting probably 2 1/2 months, for something that MIGHT compete with the 3080" or "just getting the 3080 now" is a really easy choice to make for me. Get the 3080, be safe. Those cards aren't 1.200€ anymore, so even if I end up being single digit percent slower, I won't cry over it as it's still a 3-4x increase for me coming from a 970.

Others, plan on building a whole new PC and I intend to use it at some point too. I knew I was going to get a new PC this winter so I pre-ordered a HP Reverb G2 and a Valve Index FK which both should arrive around end of October/early November. If I would wait for RDNA2, I'd have that hardware sit around and collect dust, without even the guarantee that the wait will be worth it or even if the wait is worth it a guarantee to get those cards in 2020.

If you go by that "just wait a couple more months" mentality, then you should never buy anything.
September/Oktober Ampere Launch, probably November/December RDNA2 launch, I'd say by April we'll either get the Ti or Super versions of Ampere, by June/July we'll have the same for RDNA2 and so on.
There is always "something on the horizon" and you just gotta pick a deadline and stick by it eventually.

nochance

Banned
Rushing would be releasing a gpu in September-October which they are not. They are sticking to their plan ignoring whatever nvidia is doing.
If they have a competitive product then it is safe to assume that the stage of testing and benchmarking has been completed. Why don't they "leak" the benchmarks through credible channels so that people actually hold off on ordering Ampere? They can still release on schedule, instead they do an announcement of announcement of announcement. Not a good look when the market leader is launching a seemingly generation defining product.

nVidia releases cards first: AMD is always late!
AMD releases cards first: Hm, I better wait for nVidia.

No one is capable of launching a card from scratch in one month. It's much more reasonable to assume that they were simply waiting to see what nVidia does, and then answer accordingly. That is something that can be done in a month.
This is not doing it from scratch and there is precedence of extremely close releases in the past. Hence duct taping just so they can say "we have 37 tflops" and "we have 25gbs of ram".
In fact, AMD would be better off financially by allocating all their resources to create more Zen 3 CPUs and leave Radeon in the dust. If they didn't think they could be competitive, they simply wouldn't bother.
Outright exiting the market would do massive damage to the brand. They can't afford it, it would also mean massive talent drain most likely going to competitors.

And btw, they announced way before nVidia's announcement that their RDNA2 graphics cards would be out before the consoles...
Consoles exist.
You are correct, consoles do cover their bottom line, but what happens when that's gone? They are entering the mobile market with Samsung, but other companies have tried that and failed in the past (Nvidia too). Despite the hype, AMD cpus still have a very low marketshare compared to Intel, and for most use cases they are still quite far off Intel when it comes to performance. It seems that their market remains to be the budget options.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yikes. Can't get myself hyped for a GPU announcement weeks after the 3700 is available. FFS AMD we want GPUs in time for Cyberpunk. How fucking stupid do you have to be to miss that game? Maybe it will be a reveal followed by immediate availability. Hopefully I will have my 3800 well before this announcement.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Ascend Ascend

I wouldn't have an issue if they detailed their new cards in late September/early October and released on October 28th, but we aren't finding out what it even is until then. Ampere has a lot of hype and it could be hard to get one, so I can't just wait until the very end of October for RDNA 2 info, find out it's not for me, and then be shit out of luck getting Ampere before Cyberpunk. Even if RDNA 2 is appealing what happens if it releases in a week into November and sells out. Double shit out of luck.

I need info sooner so I can plan accordingly. October 28th is too late for my taste.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Im going to try to get a 3080.

If I cant get one.. AMD is going to get a shot at my money.

If theyre bringing between a 3070 and 3080 in price and performance.... And 14-16GB of VRAM... And their card is actually available... they more than likely will get it.

waylo

Banned
AMD's processors have been excellent. However, they just keep on fucking up with graphics cards.

The fuck is the timing on this? Two months after Nvidia announce and release their next cards?

I bet it will be nearly impossible to get one of AMDs new GPUs before Cyberpunk launches.

Hell, we don't even know for sure if these GPUs will actualy launch before Cyberpunk at all, or even this year.

It just says "October 28th learn more" so that's very likely NOT a launch date.

Last edited:

Hype only?
What is it?

CYBERPUNK 2077

Having NEW GPUs ready and available BEFORE Cyberpunk is a HUGE deal. And it looks like AMD won't.

October 28th "learn more" ... yeah OK.:messenger_weary:

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Ughh , not looking good for RDNA2 . It should have been as close as readiness as some variant of it is already in console . They must not have been expecting 3070/3080 to be this far ahead

Ascend

3JtbQWm.jpg

Ascend

Leak of what AMD will supposedly announce. Image has been recreated from scratch to protect leaker.

Can easily be fake btw
FfJp2WY.jpg

Last edited:
Another issue for AMD is if the RT performance of RDNA2 isn't great, they'll find themselves competing with the 2080 Ti's being sold at fire sale prices as those people dump then to buy Ampere.

qiqiqiiq

I see a lot of comments saying that the RDNA2 announcement is too late, what the hell? the damn RX 5700 series was announced almost a year after the RTX 2000 series, but now a little over a month after is too late?, on the CPU Side I hope they make the Ryzen 7 4700g available to the general public because right now is OEM only.

Not only will AMD RDNA2 not be available for Cyberpunk, we probably won’t have real benchmarks before Cyberpunk.

And AMD graphics likely won’t support RTX and DLSS in Cyberpunk.

AMD... bruh...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
2 months after RTX 3000 launch? WTF were they thinking? Ugh, what a terrible marketing strategy. I bet they won't let AIBs to make their own models for at least 3+ months (if not more), not to mention driver problems.

the nvidia fanboys in this thread saying that they can't wait a month for RDNA2 when they would never even consider to buy an AMD card "pie_tears_joy:

Hype only?
What is it?

for me is probably the highlighted one

on the technical side of things:

im kinda happy that there's no unreachable hype for the radeon this time around, that they only can underdeliver on. that said, i wouldn't count them out just yet.

first of all rtx might not be as strong as you think. jensen said in the presentation the 3080 would be twice as performant as the 2080. in there own slides it was only shown to be +80%. and the most recent database leaks suggest that it's more like 60% on average.

would be very surprised if big navi not at least can keep up with the 3080. with more VRAM and hopefully lower cost.

"Leadership perfomance"

z2CvR6.gif

never get's old :D

Does this deserve its own thread? Allegedly it's Big Navi.

big navi with a 256bit bus? i doubt that!

that's navi 22.

Eliciel

Hype only?
What is it?

I am not even waiting, I just said it's terribly late. I am not even going to buy a graphics card day 1.
I just think that from a market cultivation strategy perspective, there is literally no true explanation why it takes you 2 months to prepare a graphics card presentation - if that is literally your bread-and-butter to begin with and you just saw what NVIDIA has shown. You should take this heads-on and show the world how great you can be at even $50-$80 - except, if you're not, you can't right?

The Ryzen 3 presentation of the 08th October I would tend to believe is fine. It needs preparation and you want to nail that next generation refresh and really make sure you give yourself some space. Fine.

The RDNA2 presentation on the 28th October, at least to my mind, is very very late. There is no reason to me why it would take AMD 2 months to prepare for that. The only explanation is that they are struggling to nail the value proposition and maybe even make last minute changes to their strategy in terms of release windows and Benchmarks. Maybe they had an Ace-up-their-Sleeve and have to play it earlier than they thought and the preparation for that takes time....

To answer your question: It's a two sided game, under normal circumstances there is also no reason to make a consumer wait for 2 months if Nvidia just knocked it out of the park with 3080..so, yeah, I guess it boils down to a matter of taste.

Last edited:

llien

I'll take Lisa Su style over Raja style any day, thank you.

typical AMD marketing fail once again.
hyping something guerilla style via twitter yesterday, just to announce an announcement.
This is exactly what Nvidia was doing.
More to it, you STILL DO NOT KNOW how big an exaggeration what Jensen The Leather Man said was, even AFTER cards were announced.

Tone down your double standards.

AMD we want GPUs in time for Cyberpunk.
Cyberpunk is released on 19th of Nov.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Hype only?
What is it?

Based on the info we have available (including that leak you just shared via that guy on Twitter) they aren't going to be close to competing with a 3080.

For the people in the market for something 3080-level there isn't much reason to wait.

For people in the market for a 3070 maybe there is reason to wait (and they probably are waiting). I'll definitely wait and see what AMD comes out with.

supernova8

Banned
Yeah, and all AMD have said is on "October 28th, learn more"

Learn more? Nobody is going to be able to buy one on the 28th and very likely not before Cyberpunk.

The timing might suggest they are going after the 3070, which also releases in October (NVIDIA didn't say exactly when).

Either way it seems like stock will be very very limited for all the RTX 30 series SKUs so unless people are literally putting in orders and waiting for delivery, the vast majority of people in the market for a new GPU will still be waiting by late October. I don't really see how it's a disaster.

llien

Learn more? Nobody is going to be able to buy one on the 28th and very likely not before Cyberpunk.
I agree.
Still, 28th of Oct could also be soft launch, but also hard launch, with actual card availability.
On top of it, only a fraction of people will be able to get GPUs by 19th of November, no matter which manufacturer they pick.

CuNi

The timing might suggest they are going after the 3070, which also releases in October (NVIDIA didn't say exactly when).

Either way it seems like stock will be very very limited for all the RTX 30 series SKUs so unless people are literally putting in orders and waiting for delivery, the vast majority of people in the market for a new GPU will still be waiting by late October. I don't really see how it's a disaster.

Yes, but as we pointed out, late October is just the announcement!! That's not when the cards will be sold! You can expect that to happen 1 to 2 weeks later, so right around CP2077 release.
Add Shipping to that and you're most probably looking to get your card post launch. Also, what makes you think AMD stock will be that much higher for those cards in comparison to Nvidia?

supernova8

Banned
Yes, but as we pointed out, late October is just the announcement!! That's not when the cards will be sold! You can expect that to happen 1 to 2 weeks later, so right around CP2077 release.
Add Shipping to that and you're most probably looking to get your card post launch. Also, what makes you think AMD stock will be that much higher for those cards in comparison to Nvidia?

That might be true but it isn't 100%, right? If the initial run is AMD reference cards only, there's a chance they will just make it available to purchase immediately on the day.

TSMC's yields are apparently far better than Samsung's, so that would point to generally better availability unless you have a different understanding.

CuNi

That might be true but it isn't 100%, right? If the initial run is AMD reference cards only, there's a chance they will just make it available to purchase immediately on the day.

TSMC's yields are apparently far better than Samsung's, so that would point to generally better availability unless you have a different understanding.

I would suggest really keeping hopes low for day 1 sales.
Even bigger YouTubers which have the current Ampere cards on NDA till the 14th or whenever that lifts say that day is only for reveal and launch is probably 1 to 2 weeks later.
And yes, TSMCs yields may be better and higher, but we still don't know if they even actually started retail unit production.

Yeah OK, I was very curious about what AMD has to offer on the GPU side but no way I'm waiting that long for just the announcement. I'm getting an RTX 3070 in the meantime. Too slow, you snooze you lose.

martino

ok so by the 9 i should know what will happen for me beginning of this next gen (sony would have revealed everything too)

supernova8

Banned
I would suggest really keeping hopes low for day 1 sales.
Even bigger YouTubers which have the current Ampere cards on NDA till the 14th or whenever that lifts say that day is only for reveal and launch is probably 1 to 2 weeks later.
And yes, TSMCs yields may be better and higher, but we still don't know if they even actually started retail unit production.

Yeah I don't have high hopes but I'm still hoping :p

I personally don't feel any need to rush so I'll wait for AMD to show their hand, but I can understand some people's money burns a hole in their pocket.

llien

no way I'm waiting that long for just the announcement. I'm getting an RTX 3070 in the meantime.
3070 should hit shelves some time in October. Most likely scenario is you not getting anything at all, by the time AMD announces Radeon 6000.

Samsung 8nm was first dubbed "just 10nm rebrand", but if you check transistor density, it's 44 million per square mm, vs 41 in 5700 series (7nm DUV).
TSMC should be pretty darn busy producing all the console chips, Zen 3 chips. Capacity for large GPU chips might be quite limited.

geordiemp

3070 should hit shelves some time in October. Most likely scenario is you not getting anything at all, by the time AMD announces Radeon 6000.

Samsung 8nm was first dubbed "just 10nm rebrand", but if you check transistor density, it's 44 million per square mm, vs 41 in 5700 series (7nm DUV).
TSMC should be pretty darn busy producing all the console chips, Zen 3 chips. Capacity for large GPU chips might be quite limited.

I recall all the supposed 7nm are roughly the same density, including intel and Samsung, as the pitch is actually 30 nm and metalisation is even larger.

The 7nm comes from the gate width, which at TSMC is actually reported as 6 nm. Samsung its unknown. 7 nm is a marketing thing, as is 8 nm.

The differences is down to variances but also materials and process for the gate tech, which is why Samsung is more power and likely lower frequency than TSMC.

AMD will be targeting servers, data and the like where the money is, and in the home space powerful laptops.

Maybe they see the home GPU market as a lower margin do we have to market ? Still, would not rule out a 80 CU performing at 2.2 Ghz.....lets see.

Last edited:

Yeah well, that is provided I can get a pre-order. Sure, by then AMD might have had their reveal and I can cancel it, if they offer something more appealing...

I just think these cards will have limited supply compared to the demand, so I need to act fast 😁

FireFly

If they have a competitive product then it is safe to assume that the stage of testing and benchmarking has been completed. Why don't they "leak" the benchmarks through credible channels so that people actually hold off on ordering Ampere? They can still release on schedule, instead they do an announcement of announcement of announcement. Not a good look when the market leader is launching a seemingly generation defining product.
Maybe they don't want to sell large quantities of Big Navi, since 7nm wafers are scarce and they can make more money out of each wafer when used for server chips.

AMD cpus still have a very low marketshare compared to Intel, and for most use cases they are still quite far off Intel when it comes to performance.
Most use cases means gaming and Adobe Premiere?

Arun1910

Hope someone can answer this.

New to buying a CPU when they're announced and was wondering, do CPU's tend to go up for pre-order on the same day as the reveal event? What should I expect?

Sentenza

I'm going to get a Zen3 CPU, going with AMD for the first time in years despise the dreadful experience I had the past times I did.
I want to trust fucking fanboys swearing up and down that Intel has nothing on AMD currently, for once.

Different story on the GPU. I'm not even bothering waiting for "Big Navi" and going with a 3080 without a single concern in the world. AMD will never match what they are offering there, anyway. If anything now that AI and ray tracing are becoming significant factors the gap will grow larger than before.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Hope someone can answer this.

New to buying a CPU when they're announced and was wondering, do CPU's tend to go up for pre-order on the same day as the reveal event? What should I expect?

CPU dont have pre-order on reveal event. They are just nerdy commodity goods.

Stores may list them earlier online
Or you can go to your physical stores and place a deposit PO.

Top Bottom