• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced the dates for revealing Zen 3 and RDNA 2

supernova8

Banned
I'm going to get a Zen3 CPU, going with AMD for the first time in years despise the dreadful experience I had the past times I did.
I want to trust fucking fanboys swearing up and down that Intel has nothing on AMD currently, for once.

Different story on the GPU. I'm not even bothering waiting for "Big Navi" and going with a 3080 without a single concern in the world. AMD will never match what they are offering there, anyway. If anything now that AI and ray tracing are becoming significant factors the gap will grow larger than before.

I took the plunge earlier this year with a 3900X absolutely no regrets. Last AMD CPU I had was an FX-55 back in the day.

llien

cnHdmFZ.png

Ascend

I am not even waiting, I just said it's terribly late. I am not even going to buy a graphics card day 1.
I just think that from a market cultivation strategy perspective, there is literally no true explanation why it takes you 2 months to prepare a graphics card presentation - if that is literally your bread-and-butter to begin with and you just saw what NVIDIA has shown. You should take this heads-on and show the world how great you can be at even $50-$80 - except, if you're not, you can't right?

The Ryzen 3 presentation of the 08th October I would tend to believe is fine. It needs preparation and you want to nail that next generation refresh and really make sure you give yourself some space. Fine.

The RDNA2 presentation on the 28th October, at least to my mind, is very very late. There is no reason to me why it would take AMD 2 months to prepare for that. The only explanation is that they are struggling to nail the value proposition and maybe even make last minute changes to their strategy in terms of release windows and Benchmarks. Maybe they had an Ace-up-their-Sleeve and have to play it earlier than they thought and the preparation for that takes time....

To answer your question: It's a two sided game, under normal circumstances there is also no reason to make a consumer wait for 2 months if Nvidia just knocked it out of the park with 3080..so, yeah, I guess it boils down to a matter of taste.
It can be that they are simply waiting for benchmarks from reviewers to adjust their marketing strategy accordingly.

Garibaldi

I'm willing to wait for reviews for the RTX30 series but there is no way I'm waiting till after Zen3 is available to buy my GPU. The 28th is too little too late. Especially with Cyberpunk around the corner. I need to finish my build before it hits. Plus god knows what brexit is gonna do to the supply/price of this stuff. I'm not waiting forever.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
That is a big move if correct.

Yea if that design is true future wise NVIDIA is fucked. This is the start of chiplet, I THOUGHT it wasn't going to happen until RDNA 3. But it looks like blueprints for that change in gpu design starts with RDNA 2.

fUCKING EXCITING IF TRUE.

Sentenza

Yea if that design is true future wise NVIDIA is fucked. This is the start of chiplet, I THOUGHT it wasn't going to happen until RDNA 3. But it looks like blueprints for that change in gpu design starts with RDNA 2.

Can't even tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Ascend

It is indeed supposed to be for RDNA3. It is not always possible to differentiate between leaks and people making stuff up though, so, take that leak with a grain of salt. I think there's a higher chance that it's fake than real, but, we'll see.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Let's wait for the actual product first, and then some actual benchmarks before we get too excited, shall we? But I have to say, I thought Intel is gonna be the first company to pull out the MCM designed GPU somewhere in 2021, but looks like it's gonna be AMD instead if the rumor is true.

While anything is possible I highly doubt they would have a chiplet design already. Previous rumours have pointed to RDNA3 being the first chiplet design from AMD and would compete with Nvidia's hopper chiplet GPUs.

Of course anything is possible, AMD have been incredibly tight lipped about what they have under wraps. Even with their partners/AIBs so we should take any rumours we hear with a grain of salt. Having said that they must be confident in what they have and don't want Nvidia catching wind too early about what they have to react early.

One thing that could point to this being potentially true is that AMD seem to be the current market leaders in chiplet design with their Zen processors. This would mean they have a ton of experience/know how/R&D from that side of the business that they could transfer over to the Radeon group giving them a boost so to speak.

But I still don't really buy this current rumour. It also states HBM memory, most previous rumours were pointing to GDDR6 but I suppose this is all subject to change and we are in that window where they can make final memory/clock/power draw/driver changes. I also heard potential rumours of HBM variants with some cards being GDDR6 and others being HBM so who knows.

I think this user most likely pulled together a bunch of current rumours and speculation going around a compiled them into this image while pretending it was a legit leak of some kind. Outside of the HBM and MCM stuff the rest reads like info we already "know"/suspect/estimate. Even the HBM variants were rumoured a few months back so again could be just combining a bunch of rumours and speculation and passing it off as legit.

DonMigs85

I'm contemplating just getting a 2070 Super for around $300 or so since I only game on a 1080p adaptive sync monitor

Ascend

I'm contemplating just getting a 2070 Super for around $300 or so since I only game on a 1080p adaptive sync monitor
You'd be better off with an RTX 3060, most likely. Or an AMD equivalent. All the RTX 2000 GPUs are overpriced at this point. And if you look for it, you can regularly find a 2080Ti for under $400 on Ebay.

Papacheeks

Banned
Can't even tell if this is sarcasm or not.

You probably have no clue what even chiplet is?

That design on the board that he posted looks similar to the Chiplet design of their cpu's which use infinity fabric.

Notice it has what looks like separate I/O chip.

I mean yea, this could be total fluff, that someone made, and it looks like someone made it.

But RDNA 3 us suppose to have chiplet design.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
AMD will probably put out another "Good Enough" card at a good price with drivers that are utter trash for the first 6-18 months and wind up rather solid used purchases in 2 years or something.

BWJinxing

I wish and had some leaks, I purchased 2080 super, intending to go the route of the Evga trade up program.

And CPUs, I'd wait for, their gpus... Amd hasn't made a high end card that can ball with Nvidia in a long time.

If" this is it", this time, I'd be shocked. I want to believe but...I think they are sitting in shite on the GPU front

The last and card I owned was a dual chip 4000 series, might have been 5 but it's been a while, like pre 2010 era

Last edited:
Top Bottom