• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon 7700XT and 7800XT - Review thread

Kataploom

Gold Member
for long term is it better to get the 7800 or wait for the 6950 to drop in price?
i have an 500w psu
Da fuck? I had to upgrade from 550w to 700w just to feel secure with my 6700 XT. I already got a motherboard + PSU die on me due to it not being enough for my rig while playing League of Legends ages ago, I wouldn't take the risk if I was you, you may end up spending more and PSUs are cheap man

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The sapphire pulse 7800 xt seems to have a custom cooler with bigger fans, I wonder if it's quieter than the others.

Edit: nvm looks like the sapphire is following the reference design; the triple fan ones are custom.

Last edited:

draliko

The sapphire pulse 7800 xt seems to have a custom cooler with bigger fans, I wonder if it's quieter than the others.

Edit: nvm looks like the sapphire is following the reference design; the triple fan ones are custom.
I have a 7900xt pulse and must say is way quieter than my old 3080 and 5700xt before, actually quite impressed by this "cheap" version.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I have a 7900xt pulse and must say is way quieter than my old 3080 and 5700xt before, actually quite impressed by this "cheap" version.
I just read techpowerups review and they say the reference card is pretty loud; the pulse does seem to have custom fan blades and bearings but it's probably not much quieter
the three fan ones are much quieter according to the review, with the powercolor hellhound being near silent because of 2 of the 3 fans being bigger. I can only go with sapphire or gigabyte, so I'll probably go for the gigabyte card.

DaGwaphics

It's a meager upgrade from 6800xt, but at $500 MSRP at least it is maintaining the deal offered by the old price reduced cards, with the added benefit that you'll likely see some discounts over the top of this as this price is before retailer discounts (Newegg/Amazon promo codes, etc.) that the old parts were often using to hit the $500. Though I take it the 6800xt will go on deeper discount now that the 7800XT is available, but AMD probably doesn't mind if you buy those instead until the stock is depleted.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Right on. RT isn't a gimmick, it's the future of graphics. And the future is now.
Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

No, srsly it's the future, it's just that the hardware to keep a good balance between IQ, frame rate and fidelity using RT isn't here yet

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Da fuck? I had to upgrade from 550w to 700w just to feel secure with my 6700 XT. I already got a motherboard + PSU die on me due to it not being enough for my rig while playing League of Legends ages ago, I wouldn't take the risk if I was you, you may end up spending more and PSUs are cheap man
I only buy platinum PSU but I was expecting cards to be more efficient and require smaller psu :messenger_loudly_crying:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I only buy platinum PSU but I was expecting cards to be more efficient and require smaller psu :messenger_loudly_crying:
Well, it would be the case if people actually cared about it lol

AMD, when they releases 7900 XT and XTX, said they could have launched a 4090 equivalent card but they didn't because of consumptions concerns, then they recently in an interview with the guy in charge of GPUs (or so I think) said that they've learnt people don't give that much of a fuck about consumption and they shouldn't putting too much thinking into that next gen... or something around those lines.

Seeing how latest cards and AMD x3D CPUs TDP are so popular, I think it's right so be ready my friend.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

AMD, when they releases 7900 XT and XTX, said they could have launched a 4090 equivalent card but they didn't because of consumptions concerns, then they recently in an interview with the guy in charge of GPUs (or so I think) said that they've learnt people don't give that much of a fuck about consumption and they shouldn't putting too much thinking into that next gen... or something around those lines.

Seeing how latest cards and AMD x3D CPUs TDP are so popular, I think it's right so be ready my friend.
Soon 1000w PSU will become required for low end

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Raster, deals blows with 3080 and 6800xt.
RT lower than 3080/4070. Tiny bit better than 6800xt.

not bad... but not 100$ below dlss goodness and rt performance that is 4070

luca_29_bg

If you've a quality PSU you should be fine I think, as long as your CPU is not a 13700K or 13900K CPU lol.
i have an old i7 860 but i have to change gpu because i have my connected to a 4k vrr tv and my rx 590 doesn't support 120 on 4k, that i want for indie games, general smoothness while i browse internet, and old games. Considering that the new gpu will be in this old pc just for a while, until i will change the entire build, it must work with the actual power supply (it's a good one from corsair i think, i don't remember the model tho) because for the new pc i have of course to change the power supply as well. However the triple fans model it's too big, i can't fit it in my pc, i have a sound card in the secondary pci-express slot, so i can forget it because i can't stand noisy gpu! Unless i change the case, that i don't want to do until i change the entire pc ! :(

i have an old i7 860 but i have to change gpu because i have my connected to a 4k vrr tv and my rx 590 doesn't support 120 on 4k, that i want for indie games, general smoothness while i browse internet, and old games. Considering that the new gpu will be in this old pc just for a while, until i will change the entire build, it must work with the actual power supply (it's a good one from corsair i think, i don't remember the model tho) because for the new pc i have of course to change the power supply as well. However the triple fans model it's too big, i can't fit it in my pc, i have a sound card in the secondary pci-express slot, so i can forget it because i can't stand noisy gpu! Unless i change the case, that i don't want to do until i change the entire pc ! :(
Geez, your situation is quite something... that i7 860 is very, very old lol. You might as well wait a little while longer to get the rest of the PC parts before plugging in such a new GPU. At least that's what I would do since the alternative is cutting that computer case in order to try fitting the 7800XT? Just stick with that RX 590 imo for the time being.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
First upgrade your cpu to a 5600 it's the cheapest option

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Geez, your situation is quite something... that i7 860 is very, very old lol. You might as well wait a little while longer to get the rest of the PC parts before plugging in such a new GPU. At least that's what I would do since the alternative is cutting that computer case in order to try fitting the 7800XT? Just stick with that RX 590 imo for the time being.
Yeah no point buying now, first upgrade the PSU to 800w or more
then cpu 5600x is the cheapest combo and a case

StereoVsn

Just saw HUB review and 6950 is a better card overall if you can get it closer to same price. It will draw a lot more power and produce more heat. So PSU and cooling needs would need to be higher.

Irobot82

That's kind of relative right? 50-80 more watts? Whatever.

900W card, well that's kind of insane.

luca_29_bg

you're right, it's the best thing to do for now! :(

bobone

I never would have thought this generation could be this bad.
The fact that there is even a question of the 6800XT being better than the NEW 7800XT shows how pathetic the GPU industry is right now.

Anyone who thinks this is a good GPU needs to look back at EVERY previous generational jump between the "8" series of cards.

People need to stop buying trash or the industry will keep selling you trash.

MikeM

The 7800xt is the best card this gen bang for buck it seems. Sad that most will still overlook it. This gen from both aides overall is pretty terrible tho.

7000 series will grant you the frame generation they’re working on for all DX11 and DX12 titles, so I’d say that might be worth it.

I’d also bump up that PSU. I don’t think 500 watts is going to cut it.

I thought they announced at gamescom that frame gen was gonna be on previous gen cards?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I thought they announced at gamescom that frame gen was gonna be on previous gen cards?

From my understanding there’s two frame generations. One that’s part of FSR3 which is for everyone.

The other is in the works and will bring frame generation to all DX11 and DX12 games. That one, which is still in the early stages will be for 7000 series cards.

Loxus

I never would have thought this generation could be this bad.
The fact that there is even a question of the 6800XT being better than the NEW 7800XT shows how pathetic the GPU industry is right now.

Anyone who thinks this is a good GPU needs to look back at EVERY previous generational jump between the "8" series of cards.

People need to stop buying trash or the industry will keep selling you trash.
AMD naming scheme is just bad this gen.

IMO this is what it should of been.
7900 XTX → 7900 XT (Navi31) → 6900 XT (Navi21)
7900 XT → 7900 (Navi31) → 6800 XT (Navi21)
7900 GRE → 7800 XT (Navi31) → 6800 (Navi21)
7800 XT → 7700 XT (Navi32) → 6700 XT (Navi22)
7700 XT → 7700 (Navi32) → 6700 (Navi22)
7700 → 7600 XT (Navi32) → 6600 XT (Navi23)
7600 → 7500 XT (Navi33) → 6500 XT (Navi24)
7500 XT → 7400 (Navi33) → 6400 (Navi24)

Last edited:

Crayon

So there's exactly one card that was a half decent deal this gen lol. The one-eyed man is king.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Interesting to see the 7700XT hanging to victories vs. the 4060ti even in some of the RT testing.
Another video from Daniel Owens, I think these new AMD are good, the 7800 XT is not great but it's not "bad" considering they're not charging you more for it. The 7700 XT obliterating the 4060 Ti is a good deal and it's also a good jump from 6700 XT

Edit: Wrong link. Corrected.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The price on video cards these days blows my mind. I hope for some kind of adjustment but I just don’t see how it will happen. Nvidia is way ahead and priced super high and and sees this as a huge runway to land on, driving prices up even higher. Intel can’t be expected to really save the day either.

Speaking of intel, and legit info on their next set of cards?

DaGwaphics

Speaking of intel, and legit info on their next set of cards?

Nothing concrete that I've seen. I think there is still some room for them towards the lower end. Specifically if they can bring something with more than 8GB down to the entry level space, a 12GB card at $250 or $275 or something might be received well. Plus it would probably be hard for AMD to price down to that with the 7700XT and the 7600 is only 8GB. Hopefully Intel is still in that space where they will operate at narrower margins on their end in order to try and get some volume (and the developer support that comes with that).

Last edited:
I wonder why Microcenter is part of the AMD Starfield Promotion on all of the eligible products besides the 77/7800XT. It seems that everywhere else is eligible but it's not shown on Microcenter.

I wouldn't mind a 7800 XT with free Starfield since I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with it on GP. Wouldn't mind using the save extractor.

Edit: You have to chat with Microcenter and they send you the code per chat. Tempting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom