• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RX 6000 'Big Navi' GPU Event | 10/28/2020 @ 12PM EST/9AM PST/4PM UK

Papacheeks

Banned
? You mean sales?

No. December they will tease their upcoming cards on TSMC. New 3080 with 12gb's and over 9000 cuda cores.

I read the 6800 XTX is the 80cu part, and the 6800 XT is 72cu

I don't know if they are going to show the 80cu though is what I'm saying. What I've heard is the 72 CU card is the flagship. ANd the do have a professional card that wont launch until next year and supposedly it's running on HBM memory.

They very well could show the 80cu part. Or they show off the 72, 64 cu parts and save the 80cu. It's all super muddy but I do know there is another card that has yet to be leaked, and is slated for next year. Could be just professional card.

Last edited:

SantaC

Should hear something tomorrow on it on certain channels.

Word is what we will see wont be a 80cu part. It will be a cut down 80cu like 72cu or something along those lines. They have a 80cu part currently for enterprise that may or maynot be running on the newest HBM memory.

I don't know if they they are 100% thinking of using it also for gaming. Unless it's different arc? That I don't know. If it is RDNA 2 then they are going to have that be more of a professional card. But it all honestly depends on what Happens in December.

Nvidia is suppose to make some kind of a tease for a super variant. ANd soon.
You are wrong. There is a 80cu card for gaming.

Papacheeks

Banned
You are wrong. There is a 80cu card for gaming.

I know there is. What I was saying was I'm unsure if thats the flagship? All fingers point to the 72cu card, and the 64cu card being the 3070 contender. If they do show the 80 cu then I guess they are doing the whole gaming stack. But there is another chip set to release next year, like I said could just be professional chip.

duhmetree

I thought there were 3 high end contenders.
6800xt
6900xt
6900xtx

did that change? why do these companies have terrible branding/labeling. Why can't it just progressively increase. Why the letters. Why cant it just be an Xbox 4

Last edited:

Irobot82

I know there is. What I was saying was I'm unsure if thats the flagship? All fingers point to the 72cu card, and the 64cu card being the 3070 contender. If they do show the 80 cu then I guess they are doing the whole gaming stack. But there is another chip set to release next year, like I said could just be professional chip.
80CU competing with 3090
72CU competing with 3080
64CU competing with 3070

Irobot82

I was under the impression they are gunning for the 3080 not the 3090 since it only has 10% performance delta over 3080 and is priced super high?
The 72CU will be the "main" card. I believe personally it was the one shown in the single slide during the Ryzen reveal.
I think the 80CU will be super limited in supply and I heard no AIB models for it.

duhmetree

The 72CU will be the "main" card. I believe personally it was the one shown in the single slide during the Ryzen reveal.
I think the 80CU will be super limited in supply and I heard no AIB models for it.
They would reveal their 'flagship' benchmarks offhand at a Ryzen event? That'd be anti-climatic

Papacheeks

Banned

Ah, have your heard anything on the HBM rumors? I was on overclockers forum and couple of gents who leaked things in the past, said there was a professional card being made on same node, but using HBM memory controller?

Im wondering if the power delta is too great with HBM memory to use it for gaming? mAYBE THIS is a professional only card.

duhmetree

the 6800xtxseriesxTi? :messenger_open_mouth:

Irobot82

They would reveal their 'flagship' benchmarks offhand at a Ryzen event? That'd be anti-climatic
The tweet from AMD's graphics guy makes me think otherwise. I think it's a tease and will lead to a surprise. I think what they showed at Ryzen event was for 6800xt.

Ah, have your heard anything on the HBM rumors? I was on overclockers forum and couple of gents who leaked things in the past, said there was a professional card being made on same node, but using HBM memory controller?

Im wondering if the power delta is too great with HBM memory to use it for gaming? mAYBE THIS is a professional only card.

HBM is not going to be on any gaming graphics card. They are all GDDR6 16gbits.

Probably have HBM on some new CDNA cards when they come out.

Last edited:

SantaC

So why an event for it tomorrow if we already know the benchmarks for it.

duhmetree

What if AMD has a better hold of Ray Tracing than Microsoft and nvidia? What if directX is not efficient nor the the best way?

Papacheeks

Banned
The tweet from AMD's graphics guy makes me think otherwise. I think it's a tease and will lead to a surprise. I think what they showed at Ryzen event was for 6800xt.

HBM is not going to be on any gaming graphics card. They are all GDDR6 16gbits.

Probably have HBM on some new CDNA cards when they come out.

So you think they were just trying to get rid of extra instinct cards with the Radon VII? Because bandwidth wise it was insane. AND i FOLLOW HBM manufacturing. Right now HBM2E is in full swing with HBM3 already taped out for full production by end of next year.

I own a Radeon VII and it's pretty crazy in terms of memory bandwidth.

HBM2E is much better in how it's made financially compared to HBM2.

Last edited:

Irobot82

So why an event for it tomorrow if we already know the benchmarks for it.
We saw one slide that showed 3 games. No tech specs, no info on changes to the cores, no info on features. There's a ton of stuff to show. Plus show the benchmarks or the cards above it and below it.

So you think they were just trying to get rid of extra instinct cards with the Radon VII? Because bandwidth wise it was insane. AND i FOLLOW HBM manufacturing. Right now HBM2E is in full swing with HBM3 already taped out for full production by end of next year.

I own a Radeon VII and it's pretty crazy in terms of memory bandwidth.

HBM2E is much better in how it's made financially compared to HBM2.
HBM is just too expensive for a gaming card. Maybe one day it can be price competitive.

Papacheeks

Banned
We saw one slide that showed 3 games. No tech specs, no info on changes to the cores, no info on features. There's a ton of stuff to show. Plus show the benchmarks or the cards above it and below it.

HBM is just too expensive for a gaming card. Maybe one day it can be price competitive.

Well HBM2E prices are very cheap actually cheaper than GDDR6 per chip. It's also more energy cost efficient. I think HB3 will be the big game changer with it's 3.2gb/s.

Last edited:
I swear to god if this ends up being true I'll shit all over myself.

Well, your pants will likely remain, thankfully for your family/friends/significant other, mercifully un-sharded.

Why (and indeed how) could amd justify to their shareholders charging less than half for a comparable product is insane. $900 at the least, more realistically, $1k. This is almost a given that it won't be $700. FFS, the top amd youtubers project the 6800xt to be at most a $50 discount vs the 3080 and just as likely, it will have price parity because of the equal +/- 5% normal rasterized performance and extra 6 gigs of vram

Ascend

Guys. Please stop. They're a corporation. They love money, likey any other. There's no chance they come near those prices. They literally can't afford it, even with a more efficient process/node vs nvidia. They have far less money to throw around than nvidia, and nvidia is the same vs intel. I don't think y'all understand the relative size and profitablity of these companies. Stock prices are great but theyre only one component of the overall story.
Sometimes companies sacrifice short term profit for long term gains. Now, I agree that they will not sell these cards at a loss. But nVidia likes to overprice things. Everyone thinks the RTX 3000 series is cheap... But...

The GTX 970 was a 398 mm2 chip with an MSRP of $329.
The GTX 1070 was a 314 mm2 chip with an MSRP of $379
The RTX 2070 was a 545 mm2 chip with an MSRP of $499
The RTX 3070 is a 392 mm2 chip with an MSRP of $499.

Let that sink in. Now AMD obviously took advantage of this, and made the 5700XT, with 251 mm2 and an MSRP of $399. It was going to beat the RTX 2070 and be $50 cheaper. But nVidia being nVidia released the 2070S, a 545 mm2 chip with an MSRP, same as the 2070, for $499. Since the 2070S was faster, AMD dropped the prices by $50 to be $100 cheaper since they were slower.

AMD's strategy is generally to undercut, because they know they don't have the mindshare. And nVidia basically allows this because they love high margins on their graphics cards. If the RTX 3070 is $499, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3070 competitor shown tomorrow will beat it and cost $50 less. Anywhere between $399 and $499 can be expected. But I definitely don't expect $299.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd be so happy if AMD obsoleted my 3080 tomorrow. Let's get some beast power in the PC space!

I know they won't but hey. I'll dream.

Last edited:

me0wish

really hope AMD pull this off. Nvidia dropped the ball big time. I have an RTX 2080 and was gonna get a 3000 series card but the 3080 is a joke with only 10GB VRAM and the 3090 is not worth the cost. both use way too much power.

give me a card that sips power, has 16GB VRAM, and matches or beats the 3080. oh and actually let me buy it...that's all you gotta do AMD.

The 2000 series were such bad value, that people think that the 3000 series value is amazing. Seriously, screw these companies with their overpriced hardware, I hope AMD will release something good that is reasonably priced so prices drop, but despite all the leaks, I doubt that will happen.

duhmetree

I'd be so happy if AMD obsoleted my 3080 tomorrow. Let's get some beast power in the PC space!

I know they won't but hey. I'll dream.
I think they are taking things in a different route. IMO There will be a lot of similarities with the PS5 and 6000 series. I might be crazy but it seems like AMD/Sony figured out an easier/more efficient way to implement Ray Tracing. Or they're just code wizards.

Maybe directx is a limiting factor/not fully understood yet. How can Sony have so many AAA games running RT, with 'weaker' hardware. Somethings off here

Last edited:
tenor.gif
I buy something from the pharmacy before doing that.

i think people will be disappointed by the pricing. AMD does not have enough wavers to saturate the demand for consoles, ryzen 5000 and GPUs at once. therfore i don't think they will undercut nvidia by much.

i hope i'm wrong.

While would AMD prioritize consoles tho, doesn't seem much profitable.

margin for the new console generation has been adjusted. gross margin goals have been over 40% for a few quartes now. so there is no way amd is selling those console APUs without the equivalent mark ups.

otherwise they would water down their gross margin only because of sheer volume of the console deals. that would be a management debacle. Su surely wouldn't let that happen.

duhmetree

i think people will be disappointed by the pricing. AMD does not have enough wavers to saturate the demand for consoles, ryzen 5000 and GPUs at once. therfore i don't think they will undercut nvidia by much.

i hope i'm wrong.
$399-$449 for the 3070 comparable, which is what should sell bigly.
$599 for the 3080 comparable.
$699-$799 for the big boy.

Marketshare is a big aspect and looks great for investors. They're taking over the CPU market and it would be massive if they made a dent in the GPU market. It does seem like nvidia caught wind of what AMD had and aggressively priced the 3080 at $699.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned

Marketshare is a big aspect and looks great for investors. They're taking over the CPU market and it would be massive if they made a dent in the GPU market. It does seem like nvidia caught wind of what AMD had and aggressively priced the 3080 at $699.
This is pretty nail on with what I think the pricing will be. 4-500$ 6700, 500-600$ for 6800.

Kenpachii

margin for the new console generation has been adjusted. gross margin goals have been over 40% for a few quartes now. so there is no way amd is selling those console APUs without the equivalent mark ups.

otherwise they would water down their gross margin only because of sheer volume of the console deals. that would be a management debacle. Su surely wouldn't let that happen.

d42e72fa-3554-4590-a1be-94372b0de0e1.png

What margins. that SSD is going to cost them more now then 37 bucks probably double that if not more. the memory is doubled price wise. So what is amd getting for those cpu/gpu when the box sells for 500? scraps.

Honestly what would u prioritize?

Getting 50 bucks for your ryzen 2 cpu or maybe 75 bucks if you are lucky which also has to adress your cost which probably is about 40 by itself i guess. Or a 450 selling CPU to pc owners with probably 300 profit on it.

Same goes for GPU even if they are less profitable i assume through more costs of parts u gotta spend still will yield them more than consoles ever will.

I would straight up reserve what i need for PC and whatever is leftover move to consoles aka if consoles don't have shortages pc sure as hell won't either.

It makes absolute no sense to me to prioritize consoles over anything else unless they have a specific contract deal made on this front and frankly why would AMD bother not like sony and microsoft can go anywhere else, its not the PS5 / xbox one situation anymore.

Last edited:
$599649 for the 3080 comparable.

sounds about right

Kenpachii

Prices need to be lower, nvidia will just drop the price of there cards by a 100 bucks and be done with it and make supers for the same price or a bit higher like they did with 2000 series.

AMD needs to strike hard on the market if they want to create market share and price is crucial here. I can see a 100 buck bump however over there zen 1 cards for the simple component memory. Other then that prices should be the samish.

Last edited:

Marlenus

It will be like Navi 10 and Navi 12. Same core spec but 10 had GDDR6 memory controller and 12 had HBM memory controller.

Marlenus

In their Q3 earnings they said their GM was flat because an increase in higher margin EPYC revenue was able to offset the semi-custom increase (consoles).

The console SoCs are low margin but high volume and they help cover a lot of R&D expenses.

Marlenus

Prices need to be lower, nvidia will just drop the price of there cards by a 100 bucks and be done with it and make supers for the same price or a bit higher like they did with 2000 series.

AMD needs to strike hard on the market if they want to create market share and price is crucial here. I can see a 100 buck bump however over there zen 1 cards for the simple component memory. Other then that prices should be the samish.

Nvidia won't drop shit right now because they are selling everything due to a supply shortage.

AMD might as well match costs on 3070/3080 tier and undercut the 3090 tier until NV sort out supply. Once NV is getting stock AMD can lower pricing then.

duhmetree

i hope i'm wrong.
I read somewhere they were getting 200,000 wafers from TSMC in 2020. They also knew this was coming, this team doesn't seem to be short sighted at the moment.

How much can they get out of that? Chiplet design/high yield helps a lot

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

i hope i'm wrong.
I'm hopeful that at least the CPU yields are good enough to help mitigate supply issues a little.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well today is the day, and tends to happen it's Wednesday, so my bet is, during the event Lisa Su will invite Phil Spencer on the stage to elaborate on the collaboration between the companies on designing the APU powering the next-gen consoles, and when Spencer is done and about to leave the stage, he will turn around again for a sec, saying "and BTW, we bought Sega" ;)

Last edited:

llien

With faux launches, it gets tricky.
3080 at $699 is a paper launch.
3070 at $499? Uh, online shops continue to sell 2070s for 449€.

Now, when your competitor has only fake lineup, how do you price your cards?

I'd ignore 3080 altogether, as if it didn't exist.

3070 is less of a clear, but if manufacturing of my own cards would force me to make margin compromises (considering that in AMD's case it's just 44% vs 60%+ for greens), I'd ignore that one too, at least in 2020.

And, ultimately, when demand is too high compared to offer, instead of the company actually producing and selling those cards will go to scalper pockets.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My expectations are low.

- RX 6800XT will trade blows with RTX 3070 being a bit better in some games.
- RX 6800XT will be a benchmark monster with scores similar or even higher than RTX 3080 in Firestrike.
- I expect a future card to match RTX 3080 performance in games.
- I expect it to be heavy limited in RT performance.
- No solution like nVidia DSLL yet.
So it wins in benchmarks but somehow cant keep up in games? Because?...........name a time a card eats benchmarks but fails in game.....errr.....benchmarks?
It already scores 2080Ti levels in RT performance but thats heavily limited?
41b9tt.jpg

fermcr

To NVIDIA and AMD:

I'm looking for a decent 300-350€ graphics card. Show me what you got?

Thanks.
Your Costumer.

Elias

hmm, lacking rtx performance wouldn't matter as much if amd had a dlss equivalent... but it's obvious they don't. still great to see amd trading blows with nvidia in pure rasterization. but you would think it would be easier to incorporate dlss equivalent hardware (which isn't all that innovative).

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Would be interesting to see what their contract is like with MS and Sony in terms of fulfilling demand via TSMC (ie what percentage of output from TSMC they are contractually obliged to allocate to PS5 SoC/XSSX SoC if any.

llien

So it wins in benchmarks but somehow cant keep up in games? Because?...........name a time a card eats benchmarks but fails in game.....errr.....benchmarks?

It depends on the benchmark.
Vega looked much better than it was in one of them (I think it was specifically Firestrike Ultra)

GHG

Between 3070 and 3080 performance with actual availability to purchase and I will buy.

As nice as DLSS is Nvidia are taking the piss at the moment with the 3080.

I'll go back to Nvidia at a later date when the cards are more available if I need to.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It depends on the benchmark.
Vega looked much better than it was in one of them (I think it was specifically Firestrike Ultra)

The card that scores around GTX 1080 levels in Synthetics then gets around GTX 1080 levels in gaming?

That Vega card or another one?

Top Bottom