• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

I do think they should have waited until a few more states before release though it doesn't help I started ETS2 until after the Scandinavian expansion. Right now ATS is like if ETS2 only had Germany, France, and the UK as its map.

I do look forward to a Promods quality map mod for ATS even if it will be a while too. I'm back to playing ETS2 with Promods + Rusmap and it feels like a completely new experience.

Randam

I made a little over 200k in the last 7 days.

and apparently I had to pay 87k drivers' pay in the last 7 days.

WTF?
it is me and 2 hired drives and I dont think I pay myself, so my 2 drivers earned over 40k in 1 week?

11k for fuel seems to be way to much too.

I'm assuming that since the engine and a lot of the assets are the same that it generally performs the same as ETS2, correct? I was surprised when I found out it ran as okay as it did on my crap laptop.

Watevaman

I'm assuming that since the engine and a lot of the assets are the same that it generally performs the same as ETS2, correct? I was surprised when I found out it ran as okay as it did on my crap laptop.

I find it runs a little worse than ETS2 in the cities and such. I'm getting into the 20s on my system in cities but I'm okay with that as its a slow paced game. I've heard people say it runs similar to the Scandinavia DLC for ETS2, but I don't own that so I cant make the comparison.

AtlAntA

It runs great on my i7 2600k and gtx 970. But I havent played vanilla ets2 in forever so i can't really compare. In ets2 it's the mods that really kill the framerate.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
To me it seems like both ETS2 and ATS run exactly the same, smooth as butter for me locked to 60fps, but then I have an I5 2500 and a GTX970 so my PC might just be beefy enough to not care or notice any differences.

Anton668

I know this is ATS thread, but since people are more active here.

well of course this thread is more active,

A) this game just came out
B) ppl keep posting ETS2 stuff in here instead of the thread they should be posting in. ;)

the way to get the ETS2 thread more active is to post in it :)

now with the workshop news, i'd cross post it cuz not everyone who plays ETS2 plays ATS. also at this point anybody who really cares will have either or both threads subscribed to anyways

U2NUMB

So does anyone know if the multiplayer download work as a different game or does it pull your profile stuff from ATS or ETS and use it? I do not want to ruin my offline stuff so holding off installing. Would be great if someone could fill me in on how this works.

Makikou

So does anyone know if the multiplayer download work as a different game or does it pull your profile stuff from ATS or ETS and use it? I do not want to ruin my offline stuff so holding off installing. Would be great if someone could fill me in on how this works.

Better to have a profile only for SP and profile only for MP.

(MP lets you select profile just like in SP)

GKB

well of course this thread is more active,

A) this game just came out
B) ppl keep posting ETS2 stuff in here instead of the thread they should be posting in. ;)

the way to get the ETS2 thread more active is to post in it :)

now with the workshop news, i'd cross post it cuz not everyone who plays ETS2 plays ATS. also at this point anybody who really cares will have either or both threads subscribed to anyways

Yup, haha, sorry i guess. I just thought by posting the news here, it would get more coverage :)

AFAIK you can continue using your offline save or create a new one, it's up to you. You can also save your multiplayer playthrough under a different name, that way it will be separate and won't ruin your offline save.

Watevaman

How accurate is the map? I mean are the cities pretty faithfully recreated?

The cities are extremely scaled down versions of themselves. Most of the bigger ones have some kind of landmark recreations and some main routes may be similar, but that's about it. I would also think that the main geographic location of the cities is fairly accurate, just very scaled down.

U2NUMB

Better to have a profile only for SP and profile only for MP.

(MP lets you select profile just like in SP)

AFAIK you can continue using your offline save or create a new one, it's up to you. You can also save your multiplayer playthrough under a different name, that way it will be separate and won't ruin your offline save.

Thanks guys.. makes sense.

Randam

WTF?
it is me and 2 hired drives and I dont think I pay myself, so my 2 drivers earned over 40k in 1 week?

so is this okay?
is there something wrong with my math?

An interview in Czech with SCS software. Some guy on reddit translated the important bits:

ETS2

- Team working on police cars for 10 countries
- Paintjobs with Magyar, Turkish and Holand theme in works
- Most copies sold in Germany, second US, third France. Followed by UK, Scandinavia, Canada, Netherlands, Turkey, Brazil. Czech republic around 20th place
- Work on custom trailers - licence for brand Schwarzmüller already acquired

ATS

- Still not decided whether to go realistic or not regarding cabin accesories
- No paid skins planned at the moment
- 4 trucks fully built. Next to 3 already released, 4th one is Peterbilt 389 which is coming soon as next truck
- Plan to have at least one or two trucks from each brand - these will be for free; specials such as 10 wheelers or tow trucks will be paid dlc
- Plan is to cover whole USA, also Canada and Mexico
- Work on route from west coast to east coast (Texas) as soon as possible, start work on direction to Seattle (because of Kenworth factory)
- Probably (still not decided) each country sold as separate DLC, bundles of more states (east coast, west coast) very probable
- Around 300 cities when map is finished
- Snow when we will get to north close to Canada
- Dynamic weather is on wishlist at the moment, not easy to implement
- Possibly special events in meantime with designated locations having snow
- Multiplayer is plan for the future; one of polish (now) ex-modders joined SCS to work on this game

Misc.

- Console versions of the game planned but not coming out this year for sure
- Mobile version unlikely; mostly because of physics
- Planning to include smaller vehicles, trying to acquire licences ets.

ECS (euro couch simulator)

- Still in works
- Comes as paid dlc to ETS2
- 3 couches already finished (including interior and sounds), still waiting for licences to be solved

Man, Canada and Mexico too? On the one hand, that would be super amazing and I can't wait. On the other hand, I'll probably have to wait a decade!

Mengy

Yeah, their roadmap for both ETS2 and ATS sound awesome. I however was not aware that they were working on implementing a bus simulator right into ETS2 as DLC? Holy Hell, that actually sounds kind of fun.

U2NUMB

Thats some good shit right there but honestly.. I expected Arizona to be out by now... how long is this gonna take :)

I had heard of Euro Coach Simulator before, but it's very rarely mentioned. I thought it would be its own separate game, but it would be a waste to just have "ETS 2, but with buses instead of trucks." On the other hand, it would get use for those bus stops that are otherwise a waste of space.

Mengy

I had heard of Euro Coach Simulator before, but it's very rarely mentioned. I thought it would be its own separate game, but it would be a waste to just have "ETS 2, but with buses instead of trucks." On the other hand, it would get use for those bus stops that are otherwise a waste of space.

I don't think that's what it will be though. I think they are just going to make use of the ETS2 assets but patch in a bus game complete with a passenger simulator and such. I actually like the idea, makes great sense from an installed base point of view and helps us all save disk space, plus it allows the bus sim to launch with a huge world to drive in.

American Truck Simulator 1.2 Open Beta

It is mostly overlapping the changes in Euro Truck beta that went live a few days ago, with the Steam Workshop integration being the big one. Oh, and also some map changes that fixes some huge pains in the ass (as highlighted).

MAIN FEATURES

Steam Workshop
Ultimate Wheel Custiomization

UI

Navigation path (red line) can be disabled (option)
Disable of hidden Route Advisor popups (option)
Autopark feature can be disabled (option)
Speeding highlight on Route Advisor

VEHICLES

Fixed cruise control locked on by retarder
Multiple position of engine brake
Improved truck stability during retarder usage
Keyboard steering improved

MAP

Speed limits polished
Speed limits signs enlarged
Stop signs removed from traffic light controlled crossroads
Turn left traffic light added to some crossroads
Certified scales are now working
Traffic light on interstates removed (where possible)

OTHER

AI improvements

To check out the beta:
You can find the beta in the public_beta branch on Steam. (Steam client -> LIBRARY -> right click on American Truck Simulator -> Properties -> Betas tab -> public_beta - 1.2 public beta). No password is required.

Some mods might be incompatible with the new version though, so try disabling them if the game crashes.

Edit:

After testing a bit, they have done some undocumented fixes as well. The W900 now has a gear indicator on the interior display, and they seem to have fixed the sound bug when you have engine brake activated at very low rpm.

Randam

WTF?

so how does the math work here?

so how does the math work here?

Drivers are payed at a base rate + price pr. mile driven (which you can see on their info screen). Cross reference that with their job log, and it should give you an idea what they are doing.

Note though that low skilled drivers in cities that are not ideal will not make you money until they have gotten some skill points and can take better jobs.

As for your specific numbers, I have no idea how they line up. Are you paying loans as well? Are you playing with or without fatigue? If you are playing without, you have the capacity to make a lot more money since there are suddenly a lot more hours in a day.

Got into the beta, most keyboard controls don't work, so I can't hitch up a trailer. I did get a Real Company Logos mod through the Workshop, which uses Wal-Mart, Chevron, Texaco, FedEx, and Telsa Motors for trailers.

Moltenix

Speed limits polished
Speed limits signs enlarged
Stop signs removed from traffic light controlled crossroads
Turn left traffic light added to some crossroads
Certified scales are now working
Traffic light on interstates removed (where possible)

OMG! YES YES YES!!!!

My prayers have been answered!!!

Randam

Drivers are payed at a base rate + price pr. mile driven (which you can see on their info screen). Cross reference that with their job log, and it should give you an idea what they are doing.

Note though that low skilled drivers in cities that are not ideal will not make you money until they have gotten some skill points and can take better jobs.

As for your specific numbers, I have no idea how they line up. Are you paying loans as well? Are you playing with or without fatigue? If you are playing without, you have the capacity to make a lot more money since there are suddenly a lot more hours in a day.
but those aren't realistic numbers, are they?

40k per week?

but those aren't realistic numbers, are they?

40k per week?

They are not realistic compared to the real world, no. Everything is increased since otherwise people would have to play for years and years to pay off their loans. There are mods in the workshop for the new beta version that brings economy numbers to more realistic levels, but it of course halts your progress greatly.

Note that all intersection changes are undiscovered, so now you can see what has left-turn lights, I think.
C50102F179894CDD3A45EB541F236E6E69E2FA55

Anton668

MAIN FEATURES

Steam Workshop - should be interesting if/what size limits there are
Ultimate Wheel Custiomization - kinda meh/kinda cool

UI

Speeding highlight on Route Advisor - i'll still space off and not pay atten lol

MAP

Speed limits polished - insert smart ass comment about what is a polish speed limit sign
Speed limits signs enlarged - thank cripes
Stop signs removed from traffic light controlled crossroads - dear lord yes!
Turn left traffic light added to some crossroads - yes thank you!
Certified scales are now working - ??? why??? what use are they???
Traffic light on interstates removed (where possible) - !!!!!!!!!

OTHER

AI improvements - i'll believe it when I see it!

edited in quote...

Moltenix

Did 2 deliveries in the beta last night.

Wasn't expecting to love the larger speed limit signs so much. I can actually see speed limit changes clearly now! Did not go through any left-turn signal intersections yet though.

The removal of lights from interstates is actually more hit-or-miss than I was expecting. There is that one highway intersection near LA where theres that tunnel on the I10 but you don't actually drive through the tunnel. There's no lights anymore so I had to wait forever for the highway to clear to make a left turn onto the I10 from the smaller road. I imagine the left off the highway is just as bad; the traffic coming out of the tunnel is nuts.

tl;dr No lights creates more Tonopah-like intersections :(

Beast780

Did 2 deliveries in the beta last night.

Wasn't expecting to love the larger speed limit signs so much. I can actually see speed limit changes clearly now! Did not go through any left-turn signal intersections yet though.

The removal of lights from interstates is actually more hit-or-miss than I was expecting. There is that one highway intersection near LA where theres that tunnel on the I10 but you don't actually drive through the tunnel. There's no lights anymore so I had to wait forever for the highway to clear to make a left turn onto the I10 from the smaller road. I imagine the left off the highway is just as bad; the traffic coming out of the tunnel is nuts.

tl;dr No lights creates more Tonopah-like intersections :(

I hate the Tonopah intersections. I have to save/reload or they are just not possible. Hopefully they tune this a little more. The one light I had a problem with is I-80 on Reno, but taking that light away doesn't fix it.

I ordered this weird finger mouse thing with the intent to mod my G27 shifter to have range/split buttons. I'm thinking I'll either strap it on top of the whole thing, replace the whole original knob with this, or just smash it to bits and use the internals to make a custom knob somehow. I basically just need two buttons on a usb interface, and this was the cheapest thing I could find and it seems to be pretty perfect for the job. I really hope I can make it work out, because using range/split manual transmission without having the buttons directly on the stick is becoming a real hassle.

Moltenix

I hate the Tonopah intersections. I have to save/reload or they are just not possible. Hopefully they tune this a little more. The one light I had a problem with is I-80 on Reno, but taking that light away doesn't fix it.

Also not a fan of the I-80 there too. The lights are gone but speed still drops from 80 to 30 in that stretch. There's no left turn bay for traffic trying to make a left off the highway so a queue forms in the left lane.

My first time thru the patched intersection was like "sweet, it's freeflow now! Huh? Wut? Omg, nope nope nope! Fk, why'd you all stop?!"

Randam

turning your wheels is so slow.

how can I make it, that when I put my stick all the way to the right or left, that it turns the wheels faster?
but not when I only touch the sticks slightly.

N° 2048

There are TONS of sensitivity settings in the options, deadzone, etc.

Took me a while to get the wheel and camera deadzones right.

U2NUMB

Alright so I managed to damage my truck 100%.. no lie I fell asleep while playing and woke u with my truck destroyed. I fast traveled to my garage but my truck will not move. How do I fix this or get to a repair shop?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Given Oculus and Vive hitting soon, what's the word on official VR support for the consumer models of those headsets?

As far as I can tell there are no plans for official support. I hope they at least upgrade the beta to oculus sdk 1.3 but they haven't said anything about it.

I was playing a couple of days ago and my wife walked in. She was like, "Hey, you're in West Sacramento! Then called off the name of a bridge she saw... Then when I got on the freeway and was suddenly outside of town she curled her lip a little and told me I should still be in town for at least another 20 miles. That's when she lost interest in seeing more of the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hadn't played in about a month. Somewhere along the way, my controls got fucked up. Again.

It's a bummer because I don't think I have the desire to thumb through their goofy controls interface where it only recognizes half my inputs and only if I put them in certain ways.

What controller are you using? Have you selected the correct controller type at the very top of the controls settings? When those are set, I've never had the game simply not recognize controls. I've not had it reset controls for that matter either (and in your profiles folder, there should be multiple backups of your profile and control settings from earlier versions).

Top Bottom