• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

That overpass thing there is really interesting. Seems like they are going a bit further in representing American roads than they did in the original two states. That will also explain why it is taking a long time to get this out the door. Last educated speculation I heard was May, and I think it's safe to say that it won't be earlier than that.

AtlAntA

As far as I can tell there are no plans for official support. I hope they at least upgrade the beta to oculus sdk 1.3 but they haven't said anything about it.

That's a shame tbh. I would really like to play this game in vr. Then again I think the resolution of the current headsets is too low to do some long drives whilst looking in the distance to really enjoy it. I will probably wait until the second or third generation of vr headsets.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So is there a chance that my ATS game being on a different hard drive is fucking with my Workshop installs or something?

Because NONE of the things I download from the Workshop show up on Mod Manager.

Updates are out of beta now, so my last post about having to opt in no longer applies. If you already have opted in, you should opt out to get the release version.

Moltenix

I was excited to hear about there being left-turn signals in the beta. I have yet to encounter a single one. They also kinda went nuts removing traffic lights. Some intersections are actually worse off now in many cities.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I downloaded the Volvo truck mod and it is AMAZING. It sounds great, it feels great, and it looks great(interior and exterior). It'll be hard to want to drive another truck after this one.

I also took the next step and turned off my route advisor since the GPS in the volvo is really well placed. I just wish there was a way to track my sleep on the UI without using the route advisor.

I've downloaded the VNL mod as well, but haven't discovered the dealers yet. Last time I tried a VNL mod in ETS2, I was less than impressed, but from what I've seen on screen shots this one has come a long way since then.

I also agree with you on the route adviser. All I really need is sleep time, and everything else could be hidden. I know there are telemetry mods where you can put all the info on a second screen/smartphone/tablet instead, but I will look into modding the UI first.

Ozium

so how is the steam workshop? and when is Arizona coming? any word?

I played it again since a month or two ago and now I'm thirsty for more,

I downloaded the Volvo truck mod and it is AMAZING. It sounds great, it feels great, and it looks great(interior and exterior). It'll be hard to want to drive another truck after this one.

Tried this out last night, and it has to be the best truck mod made for this game. When/if SCS releases the official VNL it is probably going to be a let down compared to this.

Wait, is that official support?

It's implemented by the developers, but you need to get a special branch of the client under the beta tab in Steam. It seems to be more of a side project though, so they are not "officially" supporting it where they would put it under the VR category on Steam or publish to the Oculus Store.

http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/04/extra-wheel-tuning-options.html

New cosmetic DLC for both ATS and ETS2 wheel tuning has just released on Steam. If you buy it for either game, you get the other one for free.

We are introducing a pair of "aftermarket" Wheel Tuning Packs in the form of DLC, with new unique parts tailored for the Euro style and American style wheels respectively. The recent changes in the base games - splitting the monolithic wheel models into multiple parts - have already brought you a lot of freedom in making hundreds possible combinations of wheels. With the new DLC stuff, the number of potential combinations grows by another magnitude or two, especially if you consider that some of the parts can now have any color you wish applied to them.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/450550
http://store.steampowered.com/app/388475

After a while of abusing the Quick Travel system, I've bought and upgraded all garages, and filled them all up with trucks (with upgraded chassis) and drivers. Now I have $1,000,000 in my account for the first time, but now I have AI drivers that are higher rated than me. I'm ready for Arizona now.

Nixed

Neo Member
Oh snap, when did they finally fix Xbox One controller support? I'm currently embroiled in other games, but that's damn good to know. I can resume my conquest of Europe in the near future while we wait for AZ.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/04/extra-wheel-tuning-options.html

New cosmetic DLC for both ATS and ETS2 wheel tuning has just released on Steam. If you buy it for either game, you get the other one for free.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/450550
http://store.steampowered.com/app/388475

The wheel DLC is actually pretty sweet, nice that you get it for both games if buy it for only one, I like that a lot!

WOAH, those sneaky SCS developers! Watch the promo vid for the ATS wheel DLC, at about 1:32 take a gander at the truck crossing the Golden Gate bridge on the left side of the screen:

5KWk8zS.jpg

There is the Volvo truck they haven't released yet!!!! Hint much?

Nixed

Neo Member
The wheel DLC is actually pretty sweet, nice that you get it for both games if buy it for only one, I like that a lot!

I think having shared DLC is a wonderful decision on their part. Quite refreshing in today's gaming industry -- I honestly expected to have to buy it twice.

Now, while we're at it, cabin accessories for ATS would be great.

Mengy

So they're doing a Rocket League cross-promo in ETS2. Two of my favorite things, there -- I dig it.

Hah, that's really cool. I hope we get dash decorations for ATS soon. That's one area where ATS falls very short of ETS2, truck upgrades and flair. I'm assuming that will all come later for ATS, I hope.

Hah, that's really cool. I hope we get dash decorations for ATS soon. That's one area where ATS falls very short of ETS2, truck upgrades and flair. I'm assuming that will all come later for ATS, I hope.

ATS had the physics stuff unlocked for all players recently, so there should be mods in the workshop already. But you need modded trucks that has slots for it though.

Some screenshots from Grand Canyon in upcoming Arizona Expansion:
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/04/the-grand-canyon-state.html
Arizona has got its nickname The Grand Canyon State thanks to the magnificent steep-sided canyon carved by the Colorado River. This wonder of nature is playing a very large role for the local tourism with some five million tourists each year, while it just happens to be an obstacle for the transportation industry. But we have been working hard to portray it in a very visible way in American Truck Simulator, inventing some new tricks along the way.

Arizona gets into shape very visibly now, and we are eager to start internal beta testing in the matter of the next few weeks. We are also ready to commit to take the map expansion through a public open beta test towards the end of the testing period. We would like to give a chance to the most curious of our fans to experience the incredible beauty of the new region before the final release.

Also as a side note, the Oculus beta version on Steam now supports both Oculus and Vive (OpenVR) headsets.

Mengy

Wow, that looks amazing.

Yeah it really does. However, even though I've been out there, I'm unfamiliar with any highway that actually runs along the canyon like that? I'm curious to know what road that is...

Ah, it must be Rt 64 along the south rim, I'm sure of it.

Gjerven

I wanted to try out head tracking, but I don't have an webcam so I was looking for alternatives. I found how to head track with an Android phone. It uses the phones internal gyroscope, which registers your head movement.

I think it works well, but I might have to fine adjust the settings (I'm using the sample configuration) or get used to it, since I find myself centering the camera once in a while. Also once in a while it automatically centers and stops working for a second.

Definitely something I will use when playing ETS2/ATS from here on.

Also, people who used to mod before the steam workshop, do you use the workshop or are you going back to the former sources when the mod exist both places?

Also, people who used to mod before the steam workshop, do you use the workshop or are you going back to the former sources when the mod exist both places?

If it's both places, I use the workshop mod. The 3rd party mod sites are usually hard to navigate and use some pretty sketchy download services.

As for the head tracking thing, that seems kind of crazy. But I can't say that I haven't done the exact same thing in the past only with my gyroscopic mouse. This seems easier to calibrate though, but I don't see myself wearing my phone as a hat anytime soon.

SCS posted some new screens and talk about what they are doing with their newer content creation pipeline to produce a lot more realistic roads for their Arizona expansion

It's looking really good, and Arizona which I always assumed to be a sort of uninteresting place, seems to be picking up to become the most well crafted place in ATS (for now at least).
Arizona is not just more of the same. Our work on California and Nevada started well over two years ago, and even though we kept polishing the game all through the development cycle, the map design process and the roads were largely based on our older generation of tools and prefabs. Meanwhile, our tool-chain has matured considerably with the ETS2 team's work on Scandinavia and Vive la France, and for Arizona, the ATS team is using the power of the new modular system to put the road network together.

Things look sharper with higher resolution textures and better continuity of segments. But more importantly, rather than having to do with the limitations of huge monolithic prefabricates in places of intersections, the modular system is bringing way more flexibility. We can get the intersections to look closer to their real-world inspirations at particular locations. There is a greater variety of shoulders and side-walks, we can mix in elements like unique authentic pillar types and matching bridge segments for given interchanges.

In all our truck games ever since the first 18 Wheels of Steel games all the way to current American Truck Simulator maps, we have always been struggling hard with the limited space in our scaled-down version of reality. There never seems to be enough space to squeeze in all the right types of roads and the right types of intersections.

For Arizona, we tried hard to make the combination of road types clearly separated, with country roads and city roads crossing and joining the freeways and interstates with appropriate types of intersections. It has a nice side-effect too, the speed limits can now be harmonized and more logical, which contributes to a significantly smoother ride.

An extensive system of horizontal marking makes the roads and intersections look more authentic. We have also improved the coverage of warning and information markings for Arizona.

Moltenix

Arizona is looking amazing!

I'm just sad that we weren't able to get some of those complex interchanges in California where there's alot of them in real life.

Mengy

Arizona is looking amazing!

I'm just sad that we weren't able to get some of those complex interchanges in California where there's alot of them in real life.

Yeah, it is looking fantastic! I'm actually pretty happy with California and Nevada but I'm pretty sure they'll be updating and adding to both states a bit in the future. They improved some things in the old maps in ETS2 over time too, I expect it will gradually happen to some degree in ATS as well.

New update on Arizona

We are hard at work putting finishing touches on Arizona DLC for American Truck Simulator now. Very soon we should enter first a closed beta and hopefully soon after an open beta phase.

02%2B-%2BColorado%2BRiver%2Bnear%2BKingman.jpg

Today we would like to treat you with three panoramas showing the principal river of the Southwestern United States - the Colorado River. The river will not be just a sight to pass. For the players who enjoy hunting for Steam achievements, we have prepared a new one - tied with the river.

03%2B-%2BColorado%2BRiver%2Bnear%2BYuma.jpg

Your task will be to cross the three bridges in Ehrenberg, Yuma and Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge near Hoover Dam. You will also have a chance to drive along the edge of two canyons carved by the Colorado River - Grand Canyon and Glen Canyon.

04%2B-%2BGlen%2BCanyon.jpg

The panoramas above show an artist's depiction of Colorado River near Kingman, again near Yuma, and Glen Canyon.

Anton668

New update on Arizona
Ya know, I thought about posting this before I left for work this afternoon.... but pics and "soon".... again.....
Meh
Plus I figured someone would get round to it.

Somebody lemme know when they replace "soon" with a actual damn date!!!

It certainly is exceeding even my conservative estimates.

At least they said in a previous blog update that they have recently hired more level designers. It's probably going to take a while to get them up to speed, but hopefully they will be able to put out a state more often than yearly.

Mengy

It certainly is exceeding even my conservative estimates..

Yeah, it's taking a lot longer than I expected too, BUT the detail they've shown so far is also greatly exceeding my expectations as well. I mean it's really looking fantastic.

And it's not like I need it ASAP anyway, I'm going to be playing this game off and on for many years to come, I already know that...

Hip Hop

Holy crap yes! I'm playing this today.

Did they fix the Xbox controller issue? I heard that being a problem with a Windows Update I believe.

Mengy

That map looks great!

I won't be trying the open beta though, Elite is patching up to 2.1 today so I'll just keep busy with that until Arizona officially comes out.

Well, okay, I might try it.....

Top Bottom