• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An analysis of officially supported regions by Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo (56K Warning)

twilo99

Sony PlayStation has a monopoly in Europe, they really don’t need to care about any other region.

Topher

Gold Member
You guys work fast in finding new battlefronts to wage war

Well.....when the actual fighting starts folks need to have a list to figure out what side they are on.

John Krasinski GIF

feynoob

can you though? I had to sign in before I could play Gears Tactics on Steam & that’s strictly single-player
you use MS account. The only confusion i have is whether Xbox account requirement pops up on those country or if they just use the MS account instead. Everyone has MS account, not the xbox account.

Fbh

If anything comes from this I hope it's Sony modernizing their PSN infrastructure.
It's crazy that, for example, you still can't change regions. With every other storefront I use it's no problem, with PSN if you have an account you've used for years with hundreds of purchases and you move to another country their only solution is to just create a new account

Zathalus

Yeah PSN sucks compared to other digital platforms. This, lack of easy refunds, and no way to change your region are the biggest problems for me.

I'm tired of GAF pretending like all companies are equally evil. It's not true. Some companies are better for the gamers than others. Sony is bad for gamers and they have been for a very long time. Walled gardens are bad for gamers. A company that fights tooth and nail against crossplay is bad for gamers. A company that doesn't allow cross buy and cross progression as a STANDARD is bad for gamers. A company that money hats third party devs to keep their games exclusive to their platform instead of spending that money to improve their own platform is bad for gamers.

Xbox and Steam are no angels, obviously but COME ON, Sony is basically Apple at this point. Oh and before you get all gaga over Xbox, the moment they take a dominant position like Sony has, they will almost certainly do the same resting on laurels, trapping their customers in a walled garden, etc. When that happens I'll be rooting for the underdog, even if it's Sony.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Correct me if wrong but Playstation is also the only service out of those that does not allow you to change country of your account.

That’s how Sony inflate their PSN account numbers. everyone have duplicate accounts.

graywolf323

I'm tired of GAF pretending like all companies are equally evil. It's not true. Some companies are better for the gamers than others. Sony is bad for gamers and they have been for a very long time. Walled gardens are bad for gamers. A company that fights tooth and nail against crossplay is bad for gamers. A company that doesn't allow cross buy and cross progression as a STANDARD is bad for gamers. A company that money hats third party devs to keep their games exclusive to their platform instead of spending that money to improve their own platform is bad for gamers.

Xbox and Steam are no angels, obviously but COME ON, Sony is basically Apple at this point. Oh and before you get all gaga over Xbox, the moment they take a dominant position like Sony has, they will almost certainly do the same resting on laurels, trapping their customers in a walled garden, etc. When that happens I'll be rooting for the underdog, even if it's Sony.
You realize Nintendo and Microsoft both do exactly the same things right? and still do (well maybe not so much regarding crossplay since the nosedive Xbox has taken since the 360 but Microsoft is the reason crossplay wasn’t established as the norm during that gen)

Unknown?

That was Microsoft during the 360 era. Wouldn't allow it when Sony requested it.

You realize Nintendo and Microsoft both do exactly the same things right? and still do (well maybe not so much regarding crossplay since the nosedive Xbox has taken since the 360 but Microsoft is the reason crossplay wasn’t established as the norm during that gen)
Please explain to me how Microsoft does the same as Sony when it comes to cross buy and cross progression? Are you not aware that Xbox includes cross progression and cross buy across all of their first party games as a standard? I legitimately don't understand what you're even trying to say. You chose to highlight the part of the post that said "cross progression and cross buy" so please stay focused on that in your response. Thank you.

That was Microsoft during the 360 era. Wouldn't allow it when Sony requested it.
Correct! And like I said, in the future when MS is in first place, if they fight against cross play and all that, I will be against them! But you're talking about 20 years ago. Im trying to call out the polices of TODAY that suck for us.

Unknown?

Correct! And like I said, in the future when MS is in first place, if they fight against cross play and all that, I will be against them! But you're talking about 20 years ago. Im trying to call out the polices of TODAY that suck for us.
But those aren't the policies of today, that was 5 years ago.

JCK75

You guys work fast in finding new battlefronts to wage war

I mean nobody even put the slightest thought into it until people in those regions missing from the sony list purchased HD2 on steam and now all of a sudden steam has to yank it from the store.

peter064

Neo Member
Please explain to me how Microsoft does the same as Sony when it comes to cross buy and cross progression? Are you not aware that Xbox includes cross progression and cross buy across all of their first party games as a standard? I legitimately don't understand what you're even trying to say. You chose to highlight the part of the post that said "cross progression and cross buy" so please stay focused on that in your response. Thank you.
It would be hard to do cross buy if they don't have their own storefront on PC. Does Microsoft only do cross progression for their single player games only with their own store or with steam too? For cross progression for multiplayer first party games you still need their respective accounts.

Also to add, Playstation had cross buy and cross progression with PS3 and Vita games.

It would be hard to do cross buy if they don't have their own storefront on PC. Does Microsoft only do cross progression for their single player games only with their own store or with steam too? For cross progression for multiplayer first party games you still need their respective accounts.

Also to add, Playstation had cross buy and cross progression with PS3 and Vita games.
Yes, they could make their own storefront. Microsoft does do cross buy and cross progression for all of their first party games that have released during the Xbox series gen and going forward as a standard (single player and multiplayer). I'm not sure what you mean about needing their respective accounts. These are first party Xbox games we are talking about so the account is the Xbox account.

Topher

Gold Member

As far as cross buy is concerned, Microsoft only does that within the realm of Microsoft. Xbox consoles and Microsoft store. There is no cross buy for MS games with Steam or Epic. Sony doesn't have a Windows store so obviously no cross buy.

You can make the case for cross progression, but it is a relatively weak one. Cross progression is important for free to play games where you may be playing on your phone and then on your console, but with traditional games people typically buy one copy of a game for one system.

Either way, none of this is a very good way to hash out which company is more "evil".

Yes, they could make their own storefront.

And Microsoft could make all their games on Steam cross buy as well, but they don't. Evil? Nope. They just want money. Just like Sony.

Fact of the matter is that Microsoft, being in the really shitty position they have been in the last decade, have had to break out every trick in the book to try and gain more support from gamers. Now that includes supporting PlayStation.

But these are business decisions. This isn't good or evil.

Sony never requested it.

Last edited:
As far as cross buy is concerned, Microsoft only does that within the realm of Microsoft. Xbox consoles and Microsoft store. There is no cross buy for MS games with Steam or Epic. Sony doesn't have a Windows store so obviously no cross buy.

You can make the case for cross progression, but it is a relatively weak one. Cross progression is important for free to play games where you may be playing on your phone and then on your console, but with traditional games people typically buy one copy of a game for one system.

Either way, none of this is a very good way to hash out which company is more "evil".

And Microsoft could make all their games on Steam cross buy as well, but they don't. Evil? Nope. They just want money. Just like Sony.

Fact of the matter is that Microsoft, being in the really shitty position they have been in the last decade, have had to break out every trick in the book to try and gain more support from gamers. Now that includes supporting PlayStation.

Sony never requested it.
Agreed not good or evil but like you said, because of the position Microsoft is in, they had to break out every trick in the book to get support from gamers. Sony is on top and therefore doing far less to support gamers. That's my entire point. Over the past 10 years or so, Xbox is doing things that are more "pro consumer" or like you said, supportive of gamers. So then why is it so controversial to point that out and say that we should be at this particular time, applauding the gamer supportive things the underdog is doing and putting serious pressure on sony to do the same. Playstation staying on top and Xbox withering away is the LAST thing any of us should want. Force needs balance and right now PS is too strong and dark.

Topher

Gold Member
Agreed not good or evil but like you said, because of the position Microsoft is in, they had to break out every trick in the book to get support from gamers. Sony is on top and therefore doing far less to support gamers. That's my entire point. Over the past 10 years or so, Xbox is doing things that are more "pro consumer" or like you said, supportive of gamers. So then why is it so controversial to point that out and say that we should be at this particular time, applauding the gamer supportive things the underdog is doing and putting serious pressure on sony to do the same. Playstation staying on top and Xbox withering away is the LAST thing any of us should want. Force needs balance and right now PS is too strong and dark.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. I don't think cross buy/progession make the point. If I'm going to point to an area where Sony needs to improve then it is 1) stop being dicks about refunds 2) stop putting cloud game saves behind a pay wall. And that goes for Nintendo was well. I think those are things that matter more to most gamers than the other stuff.

I don't want cross play how is that bad for me? I've played with PC players and there is to much cheating I don't want to be forced to play with that community.

While I agree Xbox has been doing a lot of pro consumer things the issue is I just don't care. I don't care about cross play, cross progression, I don't care about moneyhatting 3rd party games. I'm not going to put any pressure on Sony because almost every MS is doing that is pro consumer I just don't care about. When I go out and choose a console all that stuff is secondary to my main requirement and that's good games. Sony is delivering that to me consistently and I don't really care how they get the job done. I buy consoles to play good games and Sony is delivering on that part easily.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yeah PSN sucks compared to other digital platforms. This, lack of easy refunds, and no way to change your region are the biggest problems for me.

They are behind in a lot of areas and their customer service is the worst. As much as people like to bag on Nintendo, you can call and speak to a human being when you do have issues.

I have a little over 6550 licenses tied to my PSN account and often when I purchase something on the store (from demos, to entitled dlc, to new items), the prompt will just hang like it is working on something and then error out. Trying to purchase the item again results in the same error message. Thankfully restoring my licenses fixes the issue but it's really annoying. I recently purchased the expensive edition of Theatrhythm and had to do two license restores to claim all the content from the purchase.

Ronin_7

This thread is so bad it hurts.

Reality is Xbox is supported in 42 countries, PSN in 73. PlayStation brand is way more global than Xbox.

The reason you cannot make a PSN account for other countries is because apparently Sony only support countries with PS STORE.

That will probably change soon and you'll be able to select any country.

bender

What time is it?

Sony never requested it.

I'd almost argue that cross buy is irrelevant if it weren't for Game Pass. People are so entrenched in Steam on PC that EGS can't even make a dent by giving away hundreds upon hundreds of games. Competing storefronts need to bring something to the table and timed exclusivity apparently isn't it. GoG carved out a small chunk by being DRM free and offering older titles that aren't available on Steam and then grew into a respectable launcher and offered necessities like giving you a subset of games if you owned them on Steam already. That doesn't even take into account Microsoft disastrous attempts at PC storefronts in the past or the current iterations ongoing issues.

Unknown?

Sony never requested it.
Sony was suggesting it during the PS3 era. Microsoft flat out refused.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony was suggesting it during the PS3 era. Microsoft flat out refused.

No, that's not true. Kotaku wrote an article because someone made cross play work in a game. They asked Microsoft about it and MS said they would not do cross play with PlayStation. Sony was never involved in that at all.

Last edited:

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
OP you've misunderstood the Microsoft and xbox account relationship. Microsoft and xbox accounts are not the same. They're akin to SEN and PSN. You need a MS account to create an xbox account.

However xbox account support in countries is not the same as MS account support. Meaning you can have a MS account but it will not grant you access to places that require an xbox account (ie games and profiles) . To see the true list of countries that xbox accounts are supported officially you need to look here:

Notice how much smaller the list is.
You can use an Xbox account on PC in "unsupported" regions but you can't use Game Pass or Xbox Cloud Gaming.

LakeOf9

Reality is Xbox is supported in 42 countries, PSN in 73. PlayStation brand is way more global than Xbox.

The reason you cannot make a PSN account for other countries is because apparently Sony only support countries with PS STORE.

Yes, that is the entire point being made, thank you for understanding it and putting it so succinctly.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony requested crossplay for Rocket League back in 2015 when the game launched and MS turned it down. That is one example that comes to my mind. I know both Sony and MS have with various games, but not for their whole network

Where did you read this?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony requested crossplay for Rocket League back in 2015 when the game launched and MS turned it down. That is one example that comes to my mind. I know both Sony and MS have with various games, but not for their whole network

No they didn’t. Sony was notoriously against cross play, period.

Here’s an article from where Sony finally gave in.

graywolf323

Where did you read this?

Psyonix confirmed it was because Xbox said no

gotta love how the journalist ran defense for Microsoft in the article though and claimed what the dev themselves said was “patently false”

AmuroChan

Yep, easy solution is to just let you create an account for any country, then automatically bring you to the store that's closest to you region. So for example, if I'm in the Philippines, take me to the Singapore PSN store. Can't be that difficult.

Topher

Gold Member

Psyonix confirmed it was because Xbox said no

gotta love how the journalist ran defense for Microsoft in the article though and claimed what the dev themselves said was “patently false”

Yeah, they seemed almost offended at the notion. Fact is that PS and been cross play with PC for quite some time.

However, I don't see anything in this article suggesting "Sony requested cross play" with Microsoft and was turned down. Sounds like Psyonix was pushing for it with Microsoft and got rejected which again flies in the face of this narrative that Microsoft was always for it. They certain weren't. Neither Sony or Microsoft seemed to like the idea back then. My guess is Phil Spencer changed his tune on cross play in order to paint Sony as the bad guy on the issue.

Fredrik

Yep, easy solution is to just let you create an account for any country, then automatically bring you to the store that's closest to you region. So for example, if I'm in the Philippines, take me to the Singapore PSN store. Can't be that difficult.
Can’t we just have a global account and a global store?

It’s 2024. I bet you’re not in the same country like me surfing on GAF right now, and we can still talk, right? And it’s not like I have to use some vpn service to reach this board or buy NeoGAF Gold.

Why are gaming companies always enforcing all these rules and boarders and walls that nobody else care about in 2024?

How are they going to deal with all this in the future if everything is running from servers to every screen and someone who’s traveling the world want to game on their phone and a TV in a hotel room in a far away country and on a internet café computer etc?
Do they have to have different accounts and go to different stores to buy games and log in to different servers or maybe use vpn services and pretend they’re still at home?

Last edited:
Can’t we just have a global account and a global store?

It’s 2024. I bet you’re not in the same country like me surfing on GAF right now, and we can still talk, right? And it’s not like I have to use some vpn service to reach this board or buy NeoGAF Gold.

Why are gaming companies always enforcing all these rules and boarders and walls that nobody else care about in 2024?

How are they going to deal with all this in the future if everything is running from servers to every screen and someone who’s traveling the world want to game on their phone and a TV in a hotel room in a far away country and on a internet café computer etc?
Do they have to have different accounts and go to different stores to buy games and log in to different servers or maybe use vpn services and pretend they’re still at home?
How to deal with sales tax in this scenario? While there are some third world countries with governments that have no concept of marketplaces for digital goods, they are exceedingly rare and all other countries will need localized tax and content support (content curation laws are different in different countries). Also, there is no concept of localized price with a global store. Since I have an Indian payment method, I am currently setup with an Indian account for Steam and I can buy Hades 2 for 13 GBP (almost 50% lesser than the UK price of 25 GBP). I don't wanna lose that or my 15 GBP Indian Amazon prime account for the sake of a globalized gaming utopia.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How to deal with sales tax in this scenario? While there are some third world countries with governments that have no concept of marketplaces for digital goods, they are exceedingly rare and all other countries will need localized tax and content support (content curation laws are different in different countries). Also, there is no concept of localized price with a global store. Since I have an Indian payment method, I am currently setup with an Indian account for Steam and I can buy Hades 2 for 13 GBP (almost 50% lesser than the UK price of 25 GBP). I don't wanna lose that or my 15 GBP Indian Amazon prime account for the sake of a globalized gaming utopia.
I pay 1.5x more for everything where I am, taxes and inflation. I just think it makes no sense to lock devices and services behind real world boarders in an internet based gaming future supposedly without borders. Play wherever you want on whatever device and screen you want. That’s the future the industry is moving toward. I don’t see walls doing any good to get to that point. I wanted to play Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox Series X when they put it on a BC list. Couldn’t buy it where I’m at. Why? No idea. Who’s gaining something from that? No idea.

Allandor

I pay 1.5x more for everything where I am, taxes and inflation. I just think it makes no sense to lock devices and services behind real world boarders in an internet based gaming future supposedly without borders. Play wherever you want on whatever device and screen you want. That’s the future the industry is moving toward. I don’t see walls doing any good to get to that point. I wanted to play Ridge Racer 6 on Xbox Series X when they put it on a BC list. Couldn’t buy it where I’m at. Why? No idea. Who’s gaining something from that? No idea.
That's actually a licensing issue most of all is music licensing. If they want to sell the game in your region, they must pay e.g. for music licensing in that country.
Might also be that the game never has been rated for your country. This could also create additional costs...

Especially licensing issues can be hell for older games. Just watch a few videos of gog.com where they explain how complicated it can be.

Fredrik

That's actually a licensing issue most of all is music licensing. If they want to sell the game in your region, they must pay e.g. for music licensing in that country.
Might also be that the game never has been rated for your country. This could also create additional costs...

Especially licensing issues can be hell for older games. Just watch a few videos of gog.com where they explain how complicated it can be.
I had Ridge Racer 6 on disc so it’s not that it was never rated here. I just can’t buy it on the digital store. It’s available in the US, tried to buy it there once but there was some payment barrier I couldn’t get passed so I just gave up. And now I’ve dropped consoles so now I don’t care unless they put it up on Steam. Maybe I can play it through emulators idk

Three

You can use an Xbox account on PC in "unsupported" regions but you can't use Game Pass or Xbox Cloud Gaming.
You don't officially have support for anything even the profile. You're not meant to have an xbox live account (which is what the agreement is to) in those regions. It's akin to signing up outside your region on Nintendos service or PSN with unofficial support. It's like you've signed in in a different region and can't buy anything. It keeps your data and signs a US based agreement and it's you breaking the agreement by accepting unofficially supported services once you click agree:
d) Microsoft Services Agreement. Some features of the software provide access to, or rely on, online services. The use of those services (but not the software) is governed by the separate terms and privacy policies in the Microsoft Services Agreement at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=398923. Please read them. The services may not be available in all regions.
Of course the companies don't actually want to stop anybody from accessing from unsupported regions but they have the right to terminate the service as somebody signing in to xbox live from an unsupported country. No reason for them to do it though much like there isn't for Nintendo or PS.

There are a few were they actually do want to terminate the service though. for an example look at places like Iran listed as "supported" on the "xbox" list in the OP. Now try and use any MS game there. You can't because even though you can select it, this time it's illegal for MS to even be found to be offering services there. This time its not just you agreeing to services not officially offered in your region but them breaking the law by even offering it.

Last edited:

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
You don't officially have support for anything even the profile. You're not meant to have an xbox live account (which is what the agreement is to) in those regions. It's akin to signing up outside your region on Nintendos service or PSN with unofficial support. It's like you've signed in in a different region and can't buy anything. It keeps your data and signs a US based agreement and it's you breaking the agreement by accepting unofficially supported services once you click agree:

Of course the companies don't actually want to stop anybody from accessing from unsupported regions but they have the right to terminate the service as somebody signing in to xbox live from an unsupported country. No reason for them to do it though much like there isn't for Nintendo or PS.

There are a few were they actually do want to terminate the service though. for an example look at places like Iran listed as "supported" on the "xbox" list in the OP. Now try and use any MS game there. You can't because even though you can select it, this time it's illegal for MS to even be found to be offering services there. This time its not just you agreeing to services not officially offered in your region but them breaking the law by even offering it.
Okay. I'm doing this on a PC with no VPN. No games are available in the Xbox app when I change the region to Iran. However, if I change the region to Jamaica you can buy PC games from the Xbox app but it says Game Pass is unavailable.

Top Bottom