• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: Playstation revenue is 44% higher than Xbox and ABK combined | 104% higher without ABK included.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Comparing latest quarterly results from Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation.

Xbox Q2 with/without ABK
Xbox hardware +3%
Content/services +61% | +6%
Total gaming revenue +49% | +5%

PlayStation Q3PS hardware +8%
Network Services +12%
Total gaming revenue +16%

GGSHjCBWwAAjtRg
GGSHjBfXUAALEM_

GGSHjHmXwAAMAm8
GGSHjHyXcAAkWvO

Playstation's revenues are incredible, more than 30,000 million in 2023, 10,200 million this last quarter (vs. 7,100 from Xbox + ABK), but what I would like to know are the benefits of both, if Playstation barely reaches 6% on Xbox the losses have to be enormous.

onQ123

Playstation's revenues are incredible, more than 30,000 million in 2023, 10,200 million this last quarter (vs. 7,100 from Xbox + ABK), but what I would like to know are the benefits of both, if Playstation barely reaches 6% on Xbox the losses have to be enormous.
Xbox did some pretty big price cuts on Xbox Series X this holiday too vs Sony taking a $70 hit by including Spiderman 2 .

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
People will cry about "Get GaaS out of my games" to the ends of the earth, but this is another example of why it's imperative that Sony gets a few going soon.

They are doing very well, but that doesn't always translate to profits. They need reliable consistent software revenue streams for when their single player studios are in between big projects.

It'll take Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, etc, 4-6 years to make a new game. It's going to take a GaaS team a year and a half to create a new expansion, and less than half that to create a new season. Even less to create a bunch of useless cosmetics everyone will buy.

Killjoy-NL

People will cry about "Get GaaS out of my games" to the ends of the earth, but this is another example of why it's imperative that Sony gets a few going soon.

They are doing very well, but that doesn't always translate to profits. They need reliable consistent software revenue streams for when their single player studios are in between big projects.

It'll take Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, etc, 4-6 years to make a new game. It's going to take a GaaS team a year and a half to create a new expansion, and less than half that to create a new season. Even less to create a bunch of useless cosmetics everyone will buy.
I wonder how much of the revenue ia invested into getting all the GaaS titles going.

Didn't a recent slide show that they were going to focus 60% of the investments for Playstation into GaaS?

I assume a lot is shifted towards that.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can see why they're focusing on overall revenue as the feather in the earnings report cap. Operating income is not in a great position compared to revenue, first party game revenue is down, and they're not going to hit their sell-through projections after deciding to burn profitability to grow the install base. It's no wonder Sony leadership is talking about how to increase their first party game revenue through a multi-platform strategy. If it weren't for stronger third party game sales they could be in trouble.

Mr Moose

gothmog

Gold Member
I can see why they're focusing on overall revenue as the feather in the earnings report cap. Operating income is not in a great position compared to revenue, first party game revenue is down, and they're not going to hit their sell-through projections after deciding to burn profitability to grow the install base. It's no wonder Sony leadership is talking about how to increase their first party game revenue through a multi-platform strategy. If it weren't for stronger third party game sales they could be in trouble.
They're mostly successful no matter what direction they go in so it's not surprising they're leaning into what is working for them.

My big hope is they play more in the middle area between live service and AAA gaming. Spend more on premium live services that isn't a MTX bonanza and less on AAA.

Elios83

Nice flex and all, but comparing revenue seems rather pointless. Comparing profit on the other hand would be interesting.

As if we could tell what the profits at Xbox actually are without the amalgamation and obfuscation they do by throwing what they want together to make things look good :messenger_grinning_sweat: :pie_roffles:
In one day Sony has been more open about their challenges while still having record revenues and sales than Microsoft has been in 20 years about their real success.

Mr.Phoenix

Inflation. If people have to choose whether to put inflated food on the table, pay inflated rent, or buy games... they're going to choose the former.
It doesn't help that the games cost more now too, but even worse, a lot of these games are now GAAS which tends to have this effect of making a lot of a user base play just the one game or very few games for a very long time.

And on this thread, those wondering how MS rectifies this? Well, the answer is simple, just release your games on Playstation. Imagine how their revenue would have been if the ABK stuff hadn't come to PlayStation.

He autist for Xbox/MS. Then it all makes sense.

Yes, companies want more avenues for revenue and profit, especially ones that are seeing a slowdown or potential for decline.

Xbox are announcing plans to release games on other consoles and they already are releasing games day one PC.

I may of misread his tweet but where is the justification if Sony are not following suit in terms of releasing their games on other consoles? Last time I checked consoles are not PCs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbox are announcing plans to release games on other consoles and they already are releasing games day one PC.

I may of misread his tweet but where is the justification if Sony are not following suit in terms of releasing their games on other consoles? Last time I checked consoles are not PCs.
Probably something to do with MS being more platform agnostic.

But again, Sony has been putting games on the PC for years now. Unless he is going with the SonyToo angle.

Top Bottom