• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY24 Q2 gaming revenue up 49% year-over-year, driven by impact of Activision Blizzard acquisition

Topher

Gold Member
Where the gamepass numbers at?

200w.gif
Reaction GIF

Kssio_Aug

Where the gamepass numbers at?
Now, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, and I might be completely wrong. But isn't omitting profit from specific segments relatively common among these huge companies that work with various different services and products? Don't Amazon and Apple, for example, do the same?

Baki

Now, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, and I might be completely wrong. But isn't omitting profit from specific segments relatively common among these huge companies that work with various different services and products? Don't Amazon and Apple, for example, do the same?

Zuck should've done that with the Quest segment. His transparency meant that investors dragged him over the coals for the massive losses in the division.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Yes. Mainly for two reasons: hide the losses from shareholders. Hide the profits from tax authorities.

Mahavastu

i'm confused so hardware revenue went up, but they sold less consoles? i am not sure i follow :pie_thinking:
One way would be to sell more Series X instead of the cheaper Series S.
Not sure if Series X was fully available last year already (Q4 2022), while Series S was available most of the time...

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Whatever plans MS has for their next gen console possibly releasing early or a maybe mid gen refresh they better knock it out the park.

Its legit looking rougher than the XBO.

Baki

Yep, and then Sony and Nintendo attempting to pivot their own businesses to streaming, Cloud, and "games available on all platforms" once they see how large the margins become when hardware is virtually eliminated.
Margins are much lower when the cost of the "console" is taken up by the platform holder. In a console world, you pay $500 and you game locally on your machine. That's great for MS, Sony and Nintendo. In a cloud world, MS has to pay $500 for a machine and $$$ for energy costs, real-estate, installation of the server blades, and expensive on-premise and off-premise engineers to maintain the infrastructure.

So why the move to Cloud? They think they can attract more consumers by reducing the upfront cost of entering the ecosystem and because cloud is a hot topic on Wall St. So their bet is on shitter margins but much more volume.

Margins are much lower when the cost of the "console" is taken up by the platform holder. In a console world, you pay $500 and you game locally on your machine. That's great for MS, Sony and Nintendo. In a cloud world, MS has to pay $500 for a machine and $$$ for energy costs, real-estate, installation of the server blades, and expensive on-premise and off-premise engineers to maintain the infrastructure.

So why the move to Cloud? They think they can attract more consumers by reducing the upfront cost of entering the ecosystem and because cloud is a hot topic on Wall St. So their bet is on shitter margins but much more volume.
You speak as if Microsoft doesn't already have the infrastructure in place today to do exactly that. If you are not Microsoft or Amazon, then I guess you should be worried.

Baki

You speak as if Microsoft doesn't already have the infrastructure in place today to do exactly that. If you are not Microsoft or Amazon, then I guess you should be worried.
X-Cloud is separate to Azure because the hardware has to be a console, not a random VM from Azure. I would say cloud is an inferior business model for MS, but the realities of the market are forcing them to adopt a low-margin business model, and bet on scale and volume instead.

It still amazes me how Phil went from being top notch gaming savior to the worst calamity in the industry and candidate to the walk of shame. I need to think about this for a while, looking at my Series X...

Top Bottom