• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY24 Q2 gaming revenue up 49% year-over-year, driven by impact of Activision Blizzard acquisition

Zones

An award from who?

razzle_9394.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Yes. Because you DIDN‘T MAKE ANY GAMES FOR IT, YOU ASSHAT.

What were these fucking idiots thinking was going to happen?

You can’t have zero exclusives and expect good console sales.

It feels like I’m in Crazy Town when I see so many people not realising and accepting this!

Last edited:
Ouch! Microsoft expecting a 40% drop from last Jan to Mar which was their worst quarter of the generation (estimated 1.2 million) so around 720K. Not quite Wii U levels but really bad, actually i looked up the data (below) and Wii U's best non holiday quarter was exactly 720K in Q2 FY 2015/16. Selling less than 1 million in a regular quarter is for console's considered commercial flops like Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Gamecube, Wii U and PS Vita.

ZTT8NjD.png

Last edited:

Unknown?

Ouch! Microsoft expecting a 40% drop from last Jan to Mar which was their worst quarter of the generation (estimated 1.2 million) so around 720K. Not quite Wii U levels but really bad, actually i looked up the data (below) and Wii U's best non holiday quarter was exactly 720K in Q2 FY 2015/16. Selling less than 1 million in a regular quarter is for console's considered commercial flops like Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Gamecube, Wii U and PS Vita.

ZTT8NjD.png
It's okay, no one will know with their cooked stats.

Kacho

Imagine if Xbox performed anywhere near their highs of the 360 era. They would be raking it in. I am pretty impressed they did so well considering how awful their output has been the last decade.
I kept holding out hope but it never materialized. RIP Xbox hardware.

Baki

I liked my windows phone.

Sometimes liking something on an individual basis isn't enough.
I am talking about my preference as a consumer, not what the market can support and bear.

That said, MS should dump Phil before dumping the XB console. I think new leadership has a great shot at making a competitive and dominant platform.

reinking

Gold Member
Why are they expecting such a drop in console sales? Even more reduced production to phase it out? New console announcement, the Series F?
(Series Fuck Sony)
I have not been buying into the 3rd party talk but I am starting to believe it could be happening.

Last edited:

Elios83

Hard disagree. I like my Xbox. I want them to continue in the dedicated platform business.

You might like it but it's pretty much obvious at this point where they're heading.
They are taking all the steps and business decisions to try to become a leading third party content/services publisher in gaming and on paper if they start managing their studios properly with some good creative control, I think they have a good chance to be successful at that.

Hardware console business instead is obviously toast with the main culprit being their decision to kill their console exclusives.
They obviously knew that but their plan was to offset this negative impact with their hardware becoming a cheap entry gate to Gamepass (the whole Series S strategy). This hasn't worked out because Gamepass hasn't found a viable market as big as they hoped, Series S hasn't attracted casuals and they have been left just with the downsides of their original plan.

Probably Xbox hardware won't disappear but it's really likely to become an optional hardware gaming line and not a key platform.

Kacho

Why are they expecting such a drop in console sales? Even more reduced production to phase it out? New console announcement, the Series F?
(Series Fuck Sony)
I have not been buying into the 3rd party talk but I am starting to believe it could be happening.
They weren’t expecting lower console sales. I suspect Starfield being a dud killed their chance at moving hardware this holiday. Everything was riding on it. Now the Xbox ecosystem is back to zero compelling exclusives for the next few months.

Meanwhile PlayStation continues to sell well and Nintendo has shiny new hardware on the horizon. Xbox Series hardware is toast.

Baki

You might like it but it's pretty much obvious at this point where they're heading.
They are taking all the steps and business decisions to try to become a leading third party content/services publisher in gaming and on paper if they start managing their studios properly with some good creative control, I think they have a good chance to be successful at that.

Hardware console business instead is obviously toast with the main culprit being their decision to kill their console exclusives.
They obviously knew that but their plan was to offset this negative impact with their hardware becoming a cheap entry gate to Gamepass (the whole Series S strategy). This hasn't worked out because Gamepass hasn't found a viable market as big as they hoped, Series S hasn't attracted casuals and they have been left just with the downsides of their original plan.

Probably Xbox hardware won't disappear but it's really likely to become an optional hardware gaming line and not a key platform.

I was talking about my personal preference as a consumer.

The business headwinds do not look good for the core console business. However, under different leadership, I think Xbox has a good chance at a resurgence.

How much of that 2.33B was profit? Trying to figure out how many decades it will take to recoup that 75B.

Think of 'buying' ABK like 'buying' a house. It's an investment. ABK will have a book value based on the fundamentals of the business. The book value will likely be less than the purchase price because they had to pay a "premium" to get the company. TLDR: They don't need to recoup $75B. They need to recoup the difference in the book value (probably $50B) and the purchase price ($75B). But that is recouped by improving the business. Same as buying a house, wait for the market to go up or make improvements to the house to increase it's value.

Wulfer

The goal is to get more profit than Sony and Nintendo if they need to go 3rd party to achieve it then do it, I myself DGAF as am a PC gamer, just keep bringing the games.
Yea, I think Diddy X is right. MS isn't Sega and their not going away!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am talking about my preference as a consumer, not what the market can support and bear.

That said, MS should dump Phil before dumping the XB console. I think new leadership has a great shot at making a competitive and dominant platform.
That time has LONG passed. If it had happened in 2016 they might have had a chance. Sony gave them a Blueprint with the PS3

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yes. Because you DIDN‘T MAKE ANY GAMES FOR IT, YOU ASSHAT.

What were these fucking idiots thinking was going to happen?

You can’t have zero exclusives and expect good console sales.

It feels like I’m in Crazy Town when I see so many people not realising and accepting this!

They had hifi rush, redfall, starfield and forza. They made the games, they just didnt deliver on the quality.

This was supposed to be Xbox's year. After almost a decade of 1-2 exclusives, and sometimes none, they finally had a decent line up and couldnt capitalize.

LOL they spent $70 billion to gain $3 billion in annual revenue

I'm not pants on head retarded so I know that you actually can't pretend cost of acquisition doesn't exist when considering forward revenue expectations

Yep, and then Sony and Nintendo attempting to pivot their own businesses to streaming, Cloud, and "games available on all platforms" once they see how large the margins become when hardware is virtually eliminated.
LOL yeah just like the huge margins that Disney+, Paramount+, HBO Max, etc. make LMAO

The onlys streaming company which isn't eating heavy losses and dying is Netflix and that's only because they have quite literally 250 million subscribers

ReBurn

Gold Member
(Series Fuck Sony)
Microsoft isn't the only company expecting a decline in hardware sales. AMD is also predicting a double-digit decline in their gaming revenue according to The Verge.

DaGwaphics

They could have sold less despite revenue being up, units sales could either be slight down or slightly up.

Even though they sold more X units this holiday they sold them at $150 less than the standard price and the fire sales were consistent this year vs. being tightly time limited like last year. XSS units were also frequently $100 less than last year. Makes it harder to make a guess about the unit numbers.

DaGwaphics

That hardware prediction....yikes...

Xbox seems to be horrifically bad at transitioning between systems, probably sold more of the XSX units this holiday than they figured and now won't have much stock until the round unit hits. They all but quit selling the X1 almost a full year before the series launch, there were so few units that people were scalping them.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Xbox seems to be horrifically bad at transitioning between systems, probably sold more of the XSX units this holiday than they figured and now won't have much stock until the round unit hits. They all but quit selling the X1 almost a full year before the series launch, there were so few units that people were scalping them.
But if you believe the leaks they won’t transition to another system until 2028

What will sales be like in 3 years time

Generic

I liked my windows phone.

Sometimes liking something on an individual basis isn't enough.
I don't care too much about the Xbox but Sony having a monopoly on the console market would be a bad thing. Remember early PS3 Sony?

reinking

Gold Member
Nintendo is its own ecosystem. They don't pressure Sony nor Microsoft.
I forgot. Nintendo doesn't compete with the other two consoles. (except they do)

I have said it before and I will say it again, both Sony and Nintendo have been around before the Xbox. They were both innovative and price conscious before the Xbox came along. Xbox is not the Saviour of console gaming and I would argue it is currently trying to accelerate its demise.

Kssio_Aug

Explain it to them then

-whoever they are
He's most likely talking about some replies on the 'lays off' thread, like this.

The thing is that some people were mistakenly reading it as if "More Personal Computing" segment had a cost of revenue of 19,6B dollars, which is not the case. Because everything that comes after the black bar (total revenue) is actually about the whole pie.

Last edited:

Generic

I forgot. Nintendo doesn't compete with the other two consoles. (except they do)

I have said it before and I will say it again, both Sony and Nintendo have been around before the Xbox. They were both innovative and price conscious before the Xbox came along. Xbox is not the Saviour of console gaming and I would argue it is currently trying to accelerate its demise.
Nintendo actually stopped directly competing with PlayStation and Xbox since the Wii. But even the Wii put pressure on the competition (see: Playstation Move and Kinnect). The Switch simply didn't cause any response from Sony or Microsoft. They aren't interested in releasing a portable/console hybrid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom