• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

cormack12

Gold Member
I would share my friend code, but it always feels pointless on Switch :/ they really need some kind of system side messaging, because it's impossible to really coordinate with Switch friends unless you're talking to them outside of the Switch.

You can use the nintendo app which syncs with nook link. It's still outside the platform but makes it a little easier. You can basically use it as IM

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm looking at that now. How do you set it up like that? The functionality looks kinda basic

It's really basic. You download the app then sign in on your phone to Nintendo. When you're at the animal crossing title screen press '-' and then you'll go to settings. Then just click activate nooklink
and it will tie into your Nintendo online account. Restart the mobile app, select animal crossing and it gives you like a little contact section. It's very raw and base but might be worth it for you.

Is there an item storage early game? Got lots of stuff in my inventory that I don't need for now

If you havent got a house, you can drop stuff inside your tent. Or just outside. Its like Skyrim I believe and will just keep the items there. If you have a house it comes with storage in the background.

mcjmetroid

It's really basic. You download the app then sign in on your phone to Nintendo. When you're at the animal crossing title screen press '-' and then you'll go to settings. Then just click activate nooklink
and it will tie into your Nintendo online account. Restart the mobile app, select animal crossing and it gives you like a little contact section. It's very raw and base but might be worth it for you.

If you havent got a house, you can drop stuff inside your tent. Or just outside. Its like Skyrim I believe and will just keep the items there. If you have a house it comes with storage in the background.
One more question. Do you unlock the home edit move( like the Sims style editing view) when you get the house? Or do I have it when I have the rent bit haven't figured it out yet?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m going to grab this since everywhere is closed and there’s not much to do. I’ve never played one of these games before. It looks kind of stupid but I can see myself getting pulled in. I’ll report back later!

I rarely buy digital but I’m going to get this digital since I read it is best played in small increments regularly. I figure swapping out carts will get annoying after awhile.

mcjmetroid

I’m going to grab this since everywhere is closed and there’s not much to do. I’ve never played one of these games before. It looks kind of stupid but I can see myself getting pulled in. I’ll report back later!

I rarely buy digital but I’m going to get this digital since I read it is best played in small increments regularly. I figure swapping out carts will get annoying after awhile.
It's the perfect time. Makes you feel nice in unnice times. I'm basically in quarantine because my housemate has a massive fever and is getting tested tomorrow, I'm fine but who knows in the next few days. So we're seperated and this is the game I need haha.
/Sob story

Have you ever played an animal crossing game before?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It's the perfect time. Makes you feel nice in unnice times. I'm basically in quarantine because my housemate has a massive fever and is getting tested tomorrow, I'm fine but who knows in the next few days. So we're seperated and this is the game I need haha.
/Sob story

Have you ever played an animal crossing game before?

Hope everything works out and you don’t get sick.

It’s my first time playing one of these games. Prior to the Switch I haven’t followed Nintendo stuff much since the SNES. I’ve watched some videos and I’m not sure I understand it, so it should be fun trying to figure things out at the very least.

Mista

Banned
Look at this entitled little piece of shit

lLE1Nap.jpg

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Well, I have a new house, and maybe Blathers coming tomorrow. : )

It’s going to be an awesome day.
Same position.

One thing though is it strictly 24 hours that you have to come back to it or will it be done by tomorrow morning?

It's been so long since I've played one of these

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Same position.

One thing though is it strictly 24 hours that you have to come back to it or will it be done by tomorrow morning?

It's been so long since I've played one of these

If it’s like the other games it’s when the new day hits. I remember getting upgrades at like 1 am and then they were finished at 5 am in new leaf

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Since I can no longer give Nook any creatures, do I sell my fish and bugs or wait for Blathers?

Your choice. You will have plenty of time to gather fish once he’s there as only certain fish are seasonal and we just started spring. If you want the quick bells to buy an item that Timmy has for today only I’d say sell.

Edit -Arcadia- -Arcadia- keeps stealing my Thunder 😂

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I have, on selling. Until I get my house tomorrow (it has additional storage space), I am just flat-out out of room, lol. Outside of my tent is starting to look like Alabama Man’s front lawn.
Thank you. So you got any tips for me if you got the time?

Your choice. You will have plenty of time to gather fish once he’s there as only certain fish are seasonal and we just started spring. If you want the quick bells to buy an item that Timmy has for today only I’d say sell.
I'll be selling then thank you. Got any tips for me if you got the time?

StormCell

the point is to understand why people like it so maybe i can look into it
this is coming from a nintendo fanboy

If you are a Nintendo fanboy, then I recommend that you just buy the game. Come with an open mind. Let the game show you what it's all about.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

ebevan91

Waiting for 7pm (in like 10 minutes) so I can start catching night stuff. Not much to do right now so I'm trying to grind bells to pay my loan and also get Nook Miles so I can get the extra row of inventory slots.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Honestly the best advice I can give is

1) Don’t rush or try to speed run the game. I’ve watched some People on here and era hit walls and become disheartened with the “is this all I can do in a day?” type of mentality. The game is one of the best slow burn games you will play Solely for the drip feed content. I get that most people just dropped $60 and want to get the most out of thier game but it will eventually reward you through daily 30 minute sessions after about 2 or 3 weeks worth of 2-3 hour sessions

2) Hound your villagers, sometimes it may take 2 or three times talking to them for them to give you jobs. Note with only 2 villagers I have yet to see a fetch mission but I’m sure that will change on the way to more villagers. In new leaf you get tons of clothes and furniture this way which is normally some wacky stuff. It was always a nice surprise what I got.

3). If you want to keep a good money flow try to get your hands on different fruit then what your island has. Timmy will always buy local fruit back for 300 bells but exotic fruit will net you more when selling to your islands store (and if you want to help a friend online your fruit will be good for them making money. When you can plant trees eventually plant instead to create a triple fruit trees in orchards if you can. Easy money every 2 or 3 days.

I’m gunna play now but I know I’ll think of a few more.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Honestly the best advice I can give is

1) Don’t rush or try to speed run the game. I’ve watched some People on here and era hit walls and become disheartened with the “is this all I can do in a day?” type of mentality. The game is one of the best slow burn games you will play Solely for the drip feed content.

2) Hound your villagers, sometimes it may take 2 or three times talking to them for them to give you jobs. Note with only 2 villagers I have yet to see a fetch mission but I’m sure that will change on the way to more villagers. In new leaf you get tons of clothes and furniture this way which is normally some wacky stuff. It was always a nice surprise what I got.

3). If you want to keep a good money flow try to get your hands on different fruit then what your island has. Timmy will always buy local fruit back for 300 bells but exotic fruit will net you more when selling to your islands store (and if you want to help a friend online your fruit will be good for them making money. When you can plant trees eventually plant instead to create a triple fruit trees in orchards if you can. Easy money every 2 or 3 days.

I’m gunna play now but I know I’ll think of a few more.
Beautiful. Thank you very much I appreciate you

Now I want people to give me fruits other than Cherry

Jooxed Jooxed Get your arse here. Whats your island fruit?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Thank you. So you got any tips for me if you got the time?

I thought you were going to ask something, lol, but that’s my fault for being half asleep and misinterpreting it.

Um... it’s kind of difficult to know what carries over, with how much the start of the game has changed. I would recommend:

-Playing the stalk market, if that’s still a thing. Huge amounts of money
-Pick up anything that looks like a crafting material as you see it. Save yourself some time
-Buy lots of stuff from Nook’s son everyday if you want more available. This unlocked bigger shops in earlier games

I think that’s about all I have for now. The game is very much Animal Crossing, but it’s changed so much, I feel like I’m discovering it as much as anyone.

Mista

Banned
I thought you were going to ask something, lol, but that’s my fault for being half asleep and misinterpreting it.

Um... it’s kind of difficult to know what carries over, with how much the start of the game has changed. I would recommend:

-Playing the stalk market, if that’s still a thing. Huge amounts of money
-Pick up anything that looks like a crafting material as you see it. Save yourself some time
-Buy lots of stuff from Nook’s son everyday if you want more available. This unlocked bigger shops in earlier games

I think that’s about all I have for now. The game is very much Animal Crossing, but it’s changed so much, I feel like I’m discovering it as much as anyone.
Yeah it feels kinda like a different game from all ACs before thats why I am asking

Also whats the stalk market?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got my initial Nook payment done. Upgrade to house pending.
Blathers museum pending.
Bought tool ring.
Debating on more storage or better tools. Probably done for the night while the wife plays.

Damn it feels good to be playing a new AC. Today was particularly stressful, so I could not be happier.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Mista Mista Literally the stock market, but with a bad pun, and turnips. Lol.

You buy turnips (once a week?) at a price that fluctuates, and you have a week to sell them before they go bad. Every single day, the sell price fluctuates as well, so the idea is to buy as low as you can and sell as high as you can. Much like real life, you can easily screw yourself, : P, but with some smarts, you can make a huge amount of money.

Last edited:

drganon

The good news is my copy finally shipped. The bad news is that it isn't going to arrive until Sunday. Better than Tuesday like they said earlier.

ebevan91

Got my initial Nook payment done. Upgrade to house pending.
Blathers museum pending.
Bought tool ring.
Debating on more storage or better tools. Probably done for the night while the wife plays.

Damn it feels good to be playing a new AC. Today was particularly stressful, so I could not be happier.

I went with better tools, and I kinda regret it because I've broke them all already and I'm out of iron nuggets to make them again so I keep having to make or buy the flimsy ones.

tylerf

Bought this as my first Animal Crossing since I'm stuck working from home until who knows when. Was not expecting to be so addicted right away. Waiting for the house upgrade tomorrow. Hooray debt.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Bought this as my first Animal Crossing since I'm stuck working from home until who knows when. Was not expecting to be so addicted right away. Waiting for the house upgrade tomorrow. Hooray debt.

Welcome to getting fucked by Mr nook on a bi-dailyish basis.

I'm really hooked on this game. All the changes Nintendo made to the formula are great. The crafting fits into the gameplay loops so easily. I was worried about it before release, but now I'm really enjoying it. I've played about 10 hours total, and New Horizons is great.

Here's a picture from when I started the game.
acnh_begin.jpg

Top Bottom