• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Code: Recollection announced, releasing January 19, 2024 for the Nintendo Switch

The box art is simply stunning.

4ORJW6U.jpg

Quasicat

Awesome!

I bought Trace Memory from the clearance bin at Toys R Us for $1 and then hacked my Wii and imported the sequel from Europe.

I will be playing this again. I’m just wondering how they will change the part of the notebook when you close the DS.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can't get over how well 3D models is done here.....fucking hell the game looks gorgeous!

_Ex_

Never would have expected this. I finished Trace Memory and Another Code R many years ago, will gladly buy and play these again. Praise the CiNG.

Let Cing make another game like the Hotel Dusk games. That's all I ask

Either way, this is a cool surprise!

Last edited:

Danjin44

Demo out.
I'm SUPER hype for this game but I dont think I need demo for a game like this.....This is the type of game the less I know the better.

Edit: Never mind, I see you can transfer your save to the full game, this might get me play the demo.

Last edited:

Andyliini

To anyone who has already played the demo, does ot mention who developed this remake. I know it's not Cing, since they went bankrupt in 2010 or so.

I still hope this does well, so the Kyle Hyde games may get a similar treatment.

NanaMiku

To anyone who has already played the demo, does ot mention who developed this remake. I know it's not Cing, since they went bankrupt in 2010 or so.

I still hope this does well, so the Kyle Hyde games may get a similar treatment.
I just started the demo, no mention of any developer on the main menu or option. There's dual dub

Woopah

It's being made by Arc System Works.

The original Director of Another Code and Hotel Dusk now works at ASW and is the Art Director for these remakes (also drew the box art).

Rika Suzuki, designer/writer for Another Code and Hotel Dusk, is developing a new game called Dark Auction.

■Features
- Interesting worldview based on the history of Hitler
- Stylish and unique characters
- 3D map that allows you to freely explore the old castle
- A word cloud system that allows users to deduce and discuss with keywords
- An auction part where the truth of memories is revealed through images and puzzles
- Multiple endings that change the future depending on the choices made by the main character.
- A full-fledged mystery adventure
■ Synopsis.

Germany, 1981.
Noah is an 18-year-old boy who remembers being abandoned by his mother when he was a child,
He lives with his eccentric father Leonardo, an unsuccessful writer who is devoted to Hitler research.
Noah wishes he could stop his strange research, but Leonardo refuses to stop, no matter how badly he is struggling with money.

One day, an invitation arrives for an auction where "items related to Hitler" are to be sold,
Leonardo overcomes Noah's objections and heads for the old castle where the auction is to be held, with the promise that he will tell him everything when he returns.

Noah goes to the castle to pick up his father, who has not returned by the scheduled date and cannot be reached.
There, Noah witnesses a shocking sight.

Noah soon discovers that he and the other participants are trapped in the old castle,
He is invited by the auctioneer to participate in this strange auction.
(translated via DeepL from the game's Campfire campaign.

The game gives me a degree of Hotel Dusk vibes, as well as vibes similar to an earlier Suzuki game called "Ogon No Rashinban," since it takes place in an enclosed setting with an ensemble cast of characters who's dramatic back stories are sure to intertwine culminating in the larger mystery. Whereas Another Code (at least the first one) is more personal and focused on Ashley & D.

Danjin44

Rika Suzuki, designer/writer for Another Code and Hotel Dusk, is developing a new game called Dark Auction.

(translated via DeepL from the game's Campfire campaign.

The game gives me a degree of Hotel Dusk vibes, as well as vibes similar to an earlier Suzuki game called "Ogon No Rashinban," since it takes place in an enclosed setting with an ensemble cast of characters who's dramatic back stories are sure to intertwine culminating in the larger mystery. Whereas Another Code (at least the first one) is more personal and focused on Ashley & D.

This looks interesting and I'm glad it also coming out on Switch so I can check it out when it gets released.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The demo felt pretty clunky and it's going up against the Apollo Justice Trilogy which is unfortunate timing.

Danjin44

The demo felt pretty clunky and it's going up against the Apollo Justice Trilogy which is unfortunate timing.
If you taking about the camera, you can easily change the camera speed on the setting and it’s mostly fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Having played the demo 3 times (once docked, another handheld, then a final time on PC with Yuzu) and I found the experience to be rather polished in every iteration. Yeah the camera's default is slow, but fiddling with settings is the first thing I do in any game so maybe there's the difference.

The only slight concern I have with the game is a vibe thing, CiNG's writing really lent itself to being read while the game's OST did most of the emotional heavy-lifting. There's a uniquely melancholic feeling to certain moments in CiNG games and I think the silent storytelling has a lot to do with that.

(one minute clip of content covered in the demo)

(spoiler free section of Last Window)

Clearly the current standard, especially for a fully priced game, is for a game to have VA and I don't think it's bad. But, it'd be cool of the old-school style was still supported by having an option to bring back those DS noises giving the vague impression of a vocal tone while you read and listened to the sullen tunes. I might replay the intro with the voice slider turned down and see how it strikes me.

Deerock71

Another Code: Recollection is releasing for Nintendo Switch on January 19, 2024!

The Nintendo DS game, Trace Memory, and its sequel, previously unreleased in North America, return fully enhanced for the Nintendo Switch system as Another Code: Recollection.

Nobody's talking about how this girl DOESN'T sound like she's waking up from a nap. At ALL?!

kunonabi

Yeah, I'm not a fan of VA for work this. Probably my biggest issue aside from some of the character redesigns and Ashley's new outfits. At least the classic costumes are available. Hopefully you won't have to unlock them.

Last edited:
I hope people won’t sleep on this game and hopefully we also see Hotel Dusk next.
Hotel Dusk coming back would be one of those dream come true things.

I'm not gonna count on it, it's a miracle this Another Code collection exists and we're lucky to get it, but I'll be doing my part and buying a copy for sure, here's hoping, in my mind's eye I can see a Hotel Dusk collection for the Switch very clearly.

On a side note, I can't believe it's almost out already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom