• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem reportedly set for major overhaul as BioWare looks to reboot its troubled game

Since its rocky launch in February, BioWare's online shooter Anthem has struggled to spin its story into a positive one, particularly in light of continued development difficulties and the departure of high-profile team members. However, despite persistent speculation that BioWare and publisher EA might quietly abandon the game, the developer is reportedly now looking to massively overhaul the experience ready for a future reboot.

According to a Kotaku's Jason Schreier, plans to overhaul the troubled shooter have been in the works for some time. Eurogamer has previously heard similar word from its own sources.

Kotaku says the project is referred to as both "Anthem Next" and "Anthem 2.0", and as those names suggest, the scope of BioWare's intended plans are substantial, with the developer reportedly leaving little untouched. Changes to loot, quests, difficulty, progression, the world map, social elements, and possibly even the entire game structure have all been mooted.

According to one source, BioWare teams in both Austin and Edmonton have spent several months "just tearing [Anthem] down and figuring out what needed to change fundamentally (a lot)." Work on implementing those changes is said to have been ongoing for several months.

Although specifics are still hazy (a source said there's "lots of testing things out and experimentation but still nothing concrete"), one person told Kotaku that BioWare may attempt to separate its map into smaller chunks to enable the team to play around with each one more freely without the constant worry of introducing map-wide bugs.

Additionally, it's giving consideration to "what a mission technically is", which could see Anthem abandoning the need to return to Fort Tarsis at the end of each quest to better integrate the disparate parts of the game.

There's currently no timeline for the advent of Anthem 2.0, however, and discussions are still ongoing about how such a significant overhaul might be delivered.

Options include smaller updates to the current game over an extended period of time or as one large update, and there's reportedly even talk of launching it as a brand-new game, albeit not one that current players would be expected to pay full-price for.

In a recent community update, BioWare's head of live services Chad Robertson told fans that the developer had heard their "concerns on core issues in Anthem and are acting on it", but that addressing these points would require "a more thorough review and re-working [of systems] versus quick fixes", aligning with today's report.

With no official word on a potential Anthem reboot, however, it maybe some time before we learn if declarations of the game's demise have indeed been greatly exaggerated.

As for BioWare's other projects, Kotaku reports, perhaps surprisingly given Andromeda's reception, that a new Mass Effect game is in "very early development" at the studio's Edmonton office, with long-time producer Mike Gamble said to be serving as director. Meanwhile, work continues on the previously announced Dragon Age 4.

I would have thought they'd move on from this game already.

Last edited:

Shifty

tenor.gif

Sweet christ just let it die with a scrap of dignity.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Just let Bioware go...Microsoft should pick them up as they pivot off of buying studios. What's one more studio.

jaysius

Banned
A big redemption would be just as interesting as the botched launch. Its satisfying to see developers turn around their turds after release.

More satisfying to see a good release out the door.

I don't know what they can do to this game, the problems seem woven into the framework of it. They almost need to just keep the engine and maybe the class idea, and trash everything else.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The core combat and movement gameplay, which was actually established in Andromeda, I think is really quite good. Lots of fun. It's all the game systems and lore they put around it which is uninspired. They can at least take solace that the core hook of the combat is good, but it will be a daunting task to basically reconfigure everything around it. I'm most surprised about the lore and the setting, they obviously wrote a lot and attempted to create a new world to build on, but it just seems bland to me. Feels a bit bolted together.

Dthomp

The little bit I played I did enjoy, but I never got to end game. Good on them if they can turn it around FF14 was a fucking disaster of a trash game before they rebuilt it.

Lone Wolf

A new Mass Effect is in development? I wonder how they will further destroy the franchise? Andromeda 2? The adventures of Harbinger and Star Child? I don’t trust them at all.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I ask myself, "why?" and the only answer I come up with is that they've finally made enough cosmetic items to rotate the shop weekly instead of yearly. That was the strangest thing about the game, considering it was an EA title: It had a microtransaction model with almost nothing to buy.

That said, I don't know why they'd bother trying to revive this one when it isn't part of an established franchise. There are almost no fans left to sucker into spending more money on Anthem.

Last edited:
Between Andromeda and Anthem I have to be concerned that the Bioware that has created many of my favorite games is no longer the same Bioware.

People loved KOTOR. And except for the ending, people LOVED Mass Effect.

I don't want a GaS that can "deliver continuous revenue streams to EA." I don't want a goofy ass re-envisioning of Mass Effect made by the B-team that strips away everything that I loved about the original sequel.

Make another REAL Mass Effect or blow everyone's mind and make another KOTOR. That would be good too. More Dragon Age Origins and less Dragon Age Inquisition.

Last edited:

wipeout364

First step fire every writer that created those characters and wrote the lore and dialogue: then hire somebody that can spin an interesting tale.

Second step: Build another map with more than one city and some actual size to it That complements the mobility mechanics.

Third Step lose the looter shooter mechanics and just develop a skill tree (like mmo) and modules for weapons for each class that add effects. Keep a couple of weapons for each class that can also be leveled.

Fourth step: play through destiny, borderlands, Diablo, and every other co Op action rpg/shooter rpg and take notes on every interesting mission you come across and get some inspiration for your level/mission design.

Finally you may need to rebuild the game in unreal or some other decent engine To actually make playing it enjoyable.

Release the game like forsaken or shadowlands as a massive new chapter because they will never recoup their costs with cosmetic micro transactions and they need the buzz.

Good Luck BioWare.

Breakage

Wasn't it originally supposed to be called Beyond or something? I wonder if they'll revert back to that name as part of the reboot to distance it from the troubled” original.

Ichabod

Banned
Now I'm wondering if I should grab a $10 key just in case they reboot it and do the free upgrade thing for people who already own it.

I actually liked the game, even with its numerous problems. Does that make me an idiot?

You do you. When a company burns consumers as much as EA and Bioware has for the past 3 years between more than a handful of games, it takes a lot of willful naivete to place trust in them to just place out a solid project. Namely for Bioware, (I can see the argument for Respawn - they make quality product.) But, three times a charm I guess.

Last edited:
Between Andromeda and Anthem I have to be concerned that the Bioware that has created many of my favorite games is no longer the same Bioware.

People loved KOTOR. And except for the ending, people LOVED Mass Effect.

I don't want a GaS that can "deliver continuous revenue streams to EA." I don't want a goofy ass re-envisioning of Mass Effect made by the B-team that strips away everything that I loved about the original sequel.

Make another REAL Mass Effect or blow everyone's mind and make another KOTOR. That would be good too. More Dragon Age Origins and less Dragon Age Inquisition.
They are similar to Rare in that a lot of the love is for their older games. I also really enjoyed KotOR and its sequel along with Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect. It's a shame they don't make games like that anymore. I do recall reading it was the management within BioWare and not so much EA that botched Anthem's development.

They are similar to Rare in that a lot of the love is for their older games. I also really enjoyed KotOR and its sequel along with Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect. It's a shame they don't make games like that anymore. I do recall reading it was the management within BioWare and not so much EA that botched Anthem's development.

Jade Empire was so amazing

I never played Anthem. Was the core gameplay good enough to build around?
Core gameplay was ok, the various javelins actually played differently and masterwork/legendary bonuses increase playstyle variety even with same javelin types. Problem was there was very little content and the lootwall is beyond retarded. Destiny 2 has softcaps where the grind slows but Anthem has a wall that can only be overcome by RNG. You can spend weeks without a single upgrade. I absolutely loved the Colossus, the weighty feel of a playing what was essentially a walking bulldozer was something that neither Warframe nor Destiny was able to give me but grinding with no progress got to me in the end.

Top Bottom