• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason to think Final Fantasy XV won't disappoint?

You basically have to be terminally naive to believe this.

What? The game didn't even exist in any form other than cutscenes until after 2010. Around the time FFXIII had just released or was about to they showcased a Versus demo that they admitted just reused assets from FFXIII. It was also reported that years were wasted on FFXIII until crystal tools was "ready" as well.

No one really knew how linear XIII would be until they played it.

The BIG difference here though is that while the XIII team never talked about open world with XIII and tried to explain why XIII was linear, Nomura and the XV team have gone on record many times to confirm that there will be exploration and a world map.

The BIG difference here though is that while the XIII team never talked about open world with XIII and tried to explain why XIII was linear, Nomura and the XV team have gone on record many times to confirm that there will be exploration and a world map.

I would really, really like to be proven wrong and embrace this series again.

I would really, really like to be proven wrong and embrace this series again.

I'm pretty sure there's an interview somewhere out there that suggests that the XIII was modified because they didn't want players to "get lost." It would probably explain Lightning's comments in the forest and in the food production area; FFXIII was probably originally less linear than it ended up being. FFXIII came after FFXII, which people complained was aimless. After the FFXIII linearity complaints were probably much more vocal, I doubt we will ever go back to FFXIII like map design. FFXIII was really a continuation of FFIX and FFX's general dungeon linearity, except stretched out on one long single map as opposed to separate screens and interrupted by random encounters to make it less obvious.

I'm pretty sure there's an interview somewhere out there that suggests that the XIII was modified because they didn't want players to "get lost." It would probably explain Lightning's comments in the forest and in the food production area; FFXIII was probably originally less linear than it ended up being. FFXIII came after FFXII, which people complained was aimless. After the FFXIII linearity complaints were probably much more vocal, I doubt we will ever go back to FFXIII like map design. FFXIII was really a continuation of FFIX and FFX's general dungeon linearity, except stretched out on one long single map as opposed to separate screens and interrupted by random encounters to make it less obvious.

People thought XII was "aimless"? SMH. That game's world was amazing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
People thought XII was "aimless"? SMH. That game's world was amazing.

I dunno, the maps were too sparse for me to actually care to explore. It's kinda like putting too much sugar in a cake whereas FFXIII put no sugar.

I dunno, the maps were too sparse for me to actually care to explore. It's kinda like putting too much sugar in a cake whereas FFXIII put no sugar.

This is why Square shouldn't take fan advice into account.

"It's too sweet."

"Okay we've removed all the sugar! Better?"

"Is this cake?"

This is why Square shouldn't take fan advice into account.

"It's too sweet."

"Okay we've removed all the sugar! Better?"

"Is this cake?"

Seriously? If that was an actual baker they'd get the same reaction and they'd deserve it. When someone says something is too X , that doesn't mean remove all X , it means reduce the amount of X. Taking a parody of fan advice into account and it failing doesn't serve as an argument for ignoring fan advice.

Top Bottom