• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason to think Final Fantasy XV won't disappoint?

Eidan

My expectations are low.
Same here. I'd say a major disappointment is what I'm expecting. I think the best way this game could please me is to once again have a world that feels alive and worth exploring, something we haven't had since XII.

Sorian

Banned
I have faith. Plus console kingdom hearts were always gold and I'm attributing some of that here.

Of, the real reason:

It doesn't have XIII in the title anymore

Famassu

Remains to be seen.
But.. we've already seen this happen?

FFXIV was deemed shit -> they fixed it (went even a little overboard with it...).

Crystal Tools was a shit engine and its development a major clusterfuck -> they've done everything differently with Luminous (we haven't even gotten to next gen but we already have games using it, or parts of it)

FFXIII was criticized because of its extreme linearity and lack of different kind of content, among other things -> FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns are both more open and at least TRY to fix a majority of the flaws (with varying success)

People complain when they announce stuff too early -> in general they don't announce games 4+ years before release, most of the time it's around 1-1,5 years, the least amount of time from announcement to release having only been something like 3 months.

The only mistake they don't seem to be "fixing" is letting Toriyama be in charge of the development of their biggest (Japanese) franchise. Though hopefully LR will be the end of Toriyama FF.

Not gonna argue with someone who tries to gain credibility by typing "generally" in capitals.
Pathetic.Tries to gain credibility? What are you, five?

Same here. I'd say a major disappointment is what I'm expecting. I think the best way this game could please me is to once again have a world that feels alive and worth exploring, something we haven't had since XII.
You mean the last mainline FF before the most recent one, FFXIII. You act like the last game was dozens of games ago. They achieved something like that with FFXII, stumbled with FFXIII, and are very likely back on track with both FFXIV & FFXV. The talent is still (mostly) there, they can repeat that kind of quality when not hampered with technical problems.

Square Enix: "Versus isn't a spin-off"

Fans: "It's a spin-off"

Square Enix: "We see that naming it Versus caused confusion and lead people to believe it was a spin-off. Now it's called Final Fantasy XV as we always saw it as a mainline title."

Fans: "It's still a spin-off in my eyes."

Square Enix: "FML."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But.. we've already seen this happen?

FFXIV was deemed shit -> they fixed it (went even a little overboard with it...).

Crystal Tools was a shit engine and its development a major clusterfuck -> they've done everything differently with Luminous (we haven't even gotten to next gen but we already have games using it, or parts of it)

FFXIII was criticized because of its extreme linearity and lack of different kind of content, among other things -> FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns are both more open and at least TRY to fix a majority of the flaws (with varying success)

People complain when they announce stuff too early -> in general they don't announce games 4+ years before release, most of the time it's around 1-1,5 years, the least amount of time from announcement to release having only been something like 3 months.

The only mistake they don't seem to be "fixing" is letting Toriyama be in charge of the development of their biggest (Japanese) franchise. Though hopefully LR will be the end of Toriyama FF.

Pathetic.Tries to gain credibility? What are you, five?

FFXIV was fixed and it almost sunk the entire company to do it.
FFXIII's sequel "fixes" are nothing more than focus group powered paint by numbers development - to the point they removed vocals for one of the songs in the western version because journalists questioned them on it, just to give an example.
They still announce things too early - Kingdom Hearts III being the latest offender.

Astery

it can disappoint, and likely it will not live up to its hype that ran for so long.
However, it is mainly a Nomura game, which according to his track record it will not be below average as far as combat system goes.

Also recent period Toriyama is not getting to touch it, which is a good thing imo.

chemicals

I wouldn't mind seeing Square put out a really stellar game. It's been a long long time. Back in the FF8 days I had many friends who blindly bought every game Square used to put out for PS1.. one of them was a cartoonish action rpg (can't remember the name) --- my point is, I got to play all of those games.. and they were all pretty darn good. The last time I enjoyed a square game was FFX.

CorvoSol

Being totally honest and not at all sarcastic for a moment, I'd say that the reasons to think FFXV won't disappoint are the people attached to the project. As has been said, Nomura's team isn't the same team as the one that burned XIII to the ground and spat on its ashes. And while Nomura himself is something of a love-him-or-hate him kind of guy in terms of what his games appeal to, I should think it is beyond dispute that Birth By Sleep and The World Ends With You have demonstrated that he's capable of putting together a good, if not vanilla, RPG.

Then there's Hajime Tabata, who has Crisis Core and Type-0 to his credit. While its true that CC's plot is more or less a messy retcon thanks to a certain character, the game does play fairly well for what it is. CC's system gets expanded in Type-0, and the two paint a picture of functional ARPGs. It may not be that KH, TWEWY, CC or T-0's battle systems appeal to you, though, in the which case, I'd recommend steeling yourself against that inevitable situation.

Also, Yoko Shimomura. No lie, her music is the reason I keep buying KH games. Every time I think I'm done with that series, I see another trailer for another game and it has her work in it and I'm sold again. Always bet on Yoko.

Eidan

You mean the last mainline FF before the most recent one, FFXIII. You act like the last game was dozens of games ago. They achieved something like that with FFXII, stumbled with FFXIII, and are very likely back on track with both FFXIV & FFXV. The talent is still (mostly) there, they can repeat that kind of quality when not hampered with technical problems.

I'm acting like there hasn't been a FF that has elicited a sense of wonder or drive to explore the world created in close to 7 years, and that there have been two console FF titles released since then that have missed the mark.

jaxword

The last time I enjoyed a square game was FFX.

Always seems weird when people say that. NONE of the games in 12 years have been good? Not even TWEWY, the various Dragon Quests, or Crisis Core?

I'm acting like there hasn't been a FF that has elicited a sense of wonder or drive to explore the world created in close to 7 years, and that there have been two console FF titles released since then that have missed the mark.

It's very unlikely any games, period, will be able to elicit the same sense of wonder and drive to explore the world you had a decade ago.

Famassu

Joking aside and letting my FF fanboy to rest. I am honestly failing to see how the progression in this game will be, gameplay-wise. I know its early and everything but I like to speculate on how the characters will grow throughout the games story development. It seems like every skill will be given to you from the start of the game according to some of the Nomuras comments right? He said you wont have AS MANY warp abilities (probably means those dots in the UI) at the start. But then I am supposing you start knowing everything and just evolve it during the progression of the game. Maybe that means no more long tutorials that so many people hated in XIII? And the only thing you will unlock as time passes are new weapons? I am guessing they will completely depart from the Crystarium thing and go for a more simple upgrade your skill thing.
Nomura has said quite the opposite. He said that you won't be zero-shifting around like crazy & throwing dozens of swords around & everything from the beginning of the game, but that Noctis will develop those abilities throughout the game.

Famassu

It's been a long time in that sense, yeah, but the fact remains that FFXII was only one mainline FF ago and it's just silly to judge the franchise to eternal damnation where it can never climb up from based on ONE director's efforts or act as if the people who did such a masterpiece have suddenly lost all of their talent of making anything of any worth again. There are other teams and other directors who will get their chance to develop their version of FF and those might be or (in FFXV's case) have already been confirmed to be closer to FFXII in design than any games from the FFXIII saga can claim to be.

I wonder if Square-Enix has realised that all of the games that Toriyama has directed haven't been well received. Can he go now? Please?
Well, the new CEO has said that they will evaluate all their teams and will act based on that. Unless they willfully ignore Toriyama's efforts, then something will probably change after LR is out. I somehow doubt that they'd let Toriyama have a go with a mainline FF anytime soon when there are people like Ito who haven't have a go at it in close to a decade.

jaxword

I wonder if Square-Enix has realised that all of the games that Toriyama has directed haven't been well received. Can he go now? Please?

He's gotten more games completed and sold in the past decade than other directors (Nomura, Matsuno, Ito). Square Enix likely does not even remotely care about a bunch of angry internet reviews.

From that, we can probably assume he's not going anywhere. Of course, office politics we know nothing about could change anything.

Mario007

Eh, FFXIV 1.0 was not a console game seeing that it never released on consoles. There hasn't been a mainline FF game hitting consoles since 2009. We're getting one this year though.

Always seems weird when people say that. NONE of the games in 12 years have been good? Not even TWEWY, the various Dragon Quests, or Crisis Core?

I don't know about him, but when I say Square I mean just the Square part of the company. I said I have no faith for Square, but I love Dragon Quest.

Arzehn

They already sort of disappointed me by implied XV-2 and XV-3 sequels...

I don't want direct sequels to my Final Fantasy. I want them to spend that time on new games/worlds/characters.

TheContact

I was hyped for FF12 and was super disappointed, especially since I waited outside of GameStop for the midnight release and grabbed the Steelbook collectors edition w/ CE strategy guide. I then thought that FF12 was just an anomaly, and that FF13 would get back on the right track. I have to say, FF13 is worse than FF12. Even more disappointing was I bought the CE edition with the CE hardcover strategy guide for 13 as well and the game is complete garbage. I have no excitement for FFXV and I was one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans you'd ever meet. FFX was the last good FF. The merger really ruined all creativity. I have zero expectations for XV. I'm done with getting my hopes up only to have them crushed.

If the game ends up being good, I'll be super excited and happy and maybe will have hopes for the future of Final Fantasy, but I really doubt this is the case, given the original team is barely non existent in modern day FFs.

Famassu

I don't know about him, but when I say Square I mean just the Square part of the company. I said I have no faith for Square, but I love Dragon Quest.

The "Square part" of the company is what has made most of the awesome games that have come out during the last few years with the Square Enix logo on it, they have unarguably developed a lot of quality titles. The "Enix part" is the publisher part, kind of responsible for games like Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery, Nier and such (so mostly mediocre stuff). Enix was never a developer, they have some creative staff (for Dragon Quest), but mostly they just published games that third party developers developed for them.

I don't want direct sequels to my Final Fantasy. I want them to spend that time on new games/worlds/characters.
That's simply not viable anymore. It costs way too much to start from absolute zero for each and every game they release. They need to get more of the investment back from the creation of a completely new universe and that can only happen by the way of sequels.

Though, it's not like FFXV sequels would stop FFXVI development. I mean, FFXIII + its sequels, FFXIV and FFXV have all been in development at the same time.

jaxword

They've been doing direct sequels for over a decade...kind of counterproductive to complain about something that's been in practice for a long time.

Square Enix: "Versus isn't a spin-off"

Fans: "It's a spin-off"

Square Enix: "We see that naming it Versus caused confusion and lead people to believe it was a spin-off. Now it's called Final Fantasy XV as we always saw it as a mainline title."

Fans: "It's still a spin-off in my eyes."

Square Enix: "FML."

Fans: Forgive us oh mighty Square Enix for doubting you when change it to a mainline title more than half a decade later. That doesn't at all seem like it was taking so long to get done that the rest of the Nova Crystallis Saga was done and that you decided to throw it at the mainline and hope it stuck.

CorvoSol

I'll excuse them for Dragon Quest since western fans have never been particularly big on DQ, and Crisis Core because LOL FFVII compilation and also CC wasn't exactly stellar, just good. But writing off FFXII and more importantly TWEWY is boggling.

I mean come on guys, THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU. It's like the best game Square's made in forever.

Famassu

Fans: Forgive us oh mighty Square Enix for doubting you when change it to a mainline title more than half a decade later. That doesn't at all seem like it was taking so long to get done that the rest of the Nova Crystallis Saga was done and that you decided to throw it at the mainline and hope it stuck.

Elaugaufein: I sprout some ignorant BS and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about

Dunan

The mere thought of exploring that Venice-like city makes me have hope.

That and the awesome Latin-based character names. (
Totally not
joking.)

The "Square part" of the company is what has made most of the awesome games that have come out during the last few years with the Square Enix logo on it, they have unarguably developed a lot of quality titles. The "Enix part" is the publisher part, kind of responsible for games like Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery, Nier and such (so mostly mediocre stuff). Enix was never a developer, they have some creative staff (for Dragon Quest), but mostly they just published games that third party developers developed for them.

Well, I'll admit ignorancy in that regard, but as I said, I love DQ, and I don't know which awesome games you're talking about, I think the last one was KH1. To be fair, I'm not sure I played any S-E game this generation.

Mario007

You know FFX wasn't meant to be a FF game? It was only changed to an FF title through development. Did that game feel like it wasn't a mainline FF?

Also there is no 'rest of the FNC saga' as there isn't a finite number of titles Square needs to do for the game.

Well, I'll admit ignorancy in that regard, but as I said, I love DQ, and I don't know which awesome games you're talking about, I think the last one was KH1. To be fair, I'm not sure I played any S-E game this generation.

Buy a PSP and a DS and go on a shopping spree, buying up all Square games for the platforms. You'll see that they've produced some really amazing games.

Arzehn

That's simply not viable anymore. It costs way too much to start from absolute zero for each and every game they release. They need to get more of the investment back from the creation of a completely new universe and that can only happen by the way of sequels.

Yeah, it's a shame really. But, maybe it's just because I've been burned on FFXIII that I feel this way. Maybe I can remain excited about XV-2 as long as XV is great.

Dunan

When reading preview magazines for FF13, I was imagining FF12, only set in a futuristic world, and I was totally hyped. I actually felt like the drive to explore the world was the one thing that FF13's creators did a good job of inspiring in us. And then another team of creators denied us that bit of happiness, making what could have been some amazing exploration into a dull linear path.

FF13-2 rectified that, but the damage was done.

Buy a PSP and a DS and go on a shopping spree, buying up all Square games for the platforms. You'll see that they've produced some really amazing games.

I did buy both recently and I'll eventually play the SE games on them, I'm particularly curious about TWEWY. And of course DQIX, I wish I could find it new.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's also important to note that FFXV is the company's, or rather Nomura's, first foray into an action-based RPG with various types of characters to play. Sora despite having different drive forms and the 3 different heroes in BbS all played basically the same. Here, Nomura can have some real fun trying to figure out how all the various party members will play. I think that is what'll make or break the combat system. Depending on how inventive and fun he can get it is what'll truly matter. We might see some crossing of streams from Tales as well since Tales puts a huge emphasis on how characters playing differently in a set cast.

Mario007

Could you give some details and links about this?
Eh I seem to have lost the bookmark. It was discussed here on GAF before...maybe Kagari can help me out here?
I was talking about XIII and XIII-2.
Oh right, well XIII-2, while a sequel, is not mainline. I think Square made this clear with their FF ultimate collection last year where sequels were not included.
I did buy both recently and I'll eventually play the SE games on them, I'm particularly curious about TWEWY. And of course DQIX, I wish I could find it new.
Awesome! Twewy is amazing. I've heard good things about DQIX, but it's a big change from DQVIII. The KH games on DS and PSP are also great (though some dislike 358/2 Days), FFXII: Revenant Wings is pretty good and fun, Crisis Core is great, Dissidia games are amazing (but buy only the second one as it includes the first game as well) and obviously the Tactics remake is amazing. If you feel like playing through a game and can accept any stupid story The Third Birthday is great from the gameplay point of view.

You know FFX wasn't meant to be a FF game? It was only changed to an FF title through development. Did that game feel like it wasn't a mainline FF?

Also there is no 'rest of the FNC saga' as there isn't a finite number of titles Square needs to do for the game.

I didn't know that actually but I can believe it, its the only strictly Turn Based FF since the ATB debuted in IV.

They did originally announced FNC as 3 games (Versus, Type-0 and XIII itself). I do admit that that's fairly meaningless though since XIII is now looking at XIII-3 and they have expanded things before retroactively (Ivalice and VII).

Mario007

I didn't know that actually but I can believe it, its the only strictly Turn Based FF since the ATB debuted in IV.

They did originally announced FNC as 3 games (Versus, Type-0 and XIII itself). I do admit that that's fairly meaningless though since XIII is now looking at XIII-3 and they have expanded things before retroactively (Ivalice and VII).
FNC was announced as a subseries with 3 games starting it, FFXIII being the flagship. It was meant to 'span decades' and Square could return to it any time to create a new game based on the lore. So, in theory, FF XX could be a FNC game.

jaxword

FNC was announced as a subseries with 3 games starting it, FFXIII being the flagship. It was meant to 'span decades' and Square could return to it any time to create a new game based on the lore. So, in theory, FF XX could be a FNC game.

Got the impression that was more Wada's vision than anything else.

Boss Man

Nope, I'm really not expecting anything out of it. I know there's a possibility that Final Fantasy could be good again so I'll check out the impressions and what not when it's near release.

I guess FFXIV having so much effort put into it could be some indicator, but FFXI was closer to a mainline Final Fantasy in my opinion than X and XII were too so I guess that's not a reason to be optimistic either.

Awesome! Twewy is amazing. I've heard good things about DQIX, but it's a big change from DQVIII. The KH games on DS and PSP are also great (though some dislike 358/2 Days), FFXII: Revenant Wings is pretty good and fun, Crisis Core is great, Dissidia games are amazing (but buy only the second one as it includes the first game as well) and obviously the Tactics remake is amazing. If you feel like playing through a game and can accept any stupid story The Third Birthday is great from the gameplay point of view.

Oh yeah, I did play 358/2 Days. I was a nice enough game, better than KH2 at least. A bit repetitive though. I'll try to play BBS, but I got a PSPGo, so... lol. And I'm sorry but I hate Tactics, so I'll skip that one. I'm not sure about Crisis Core and Dissidia, maybe I'll check them out if I have enough time in my hands.

B.K.

I'm sure it'll be disappointing. I can't remember the last Square Enix RPG I played that wasn't disappointing. It'll look pretty though.

Top Bottom