• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else sick of this Will They/Wont They speculation over Sony's showcases every summer?

Are you sick of not knowing if Sony will hold a showcase every year?

• Yes

Votes: 66 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 36.5%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Say what you will about E3, it gave us structure. We could always count on Sony, MS and Nintendo being present with their big shows. Ever since covid, we are at the mercy of these publishers. Some like MS and Ubisoft announce their summer shows in advance, but Sony and Nintendo just keep us hanging until the end.

What makes this worse is that Sony has skipped these summer shows in 2019, 2021 and 2022. Only 2 big summer showcases in the last five years. So it's not like we can sit patiently and wait for one to land around Summer Game Fest.

I'd rather they just come out at the start of the year and say we are not doing a showcase. It will avoid the stupid cycle of listening to the Jeff Grubs and Tom Hendersons for weeks only to realize they got nothing this year either.

nikos

I enjoyed E3 and enjoy Summer Game Fest as well as The Game Awards. The big shows are always fun.

That said, I don't really care who ends up showcasing anymore. There are new game announcements year round now, way more than the days when E3 was huge and the Internet wasn't what it is today.

Also, while I've always been a PC + console gamer, my time on console is pretty much non-existent now. I got rid of my Series X and PS5.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I fail to get excited about big shows and it's happening for many years now. Too many games were shown way too early or really undelivered when they were finally released. I'd rather be surprised when the game launches and it's actually good & fun.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
PlayStation won the console war.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

midnightAI

Say what you will about E3, it gave us structure. We could always count on Sony, MS and Nintendo being present with their big shows. Ever since covid, we are at the mercy of these publishers. Some like MS and Ubisoft announce their summer shows in advance, but Sony and Nintendo just keep us hanging until the end.

What makes this worse is that Sony has skipped these summer shows in 2019, 2021 and 2022. Only 2 big summer showcases in the last five years. So it's not like we can sit patiently and wait for one to land around Summer Game Fest.

I'd rather they just come out at the start of the year and say we are not doing a showcase. It will avoid the stupid cycle of listening to the Jeff Grubs and Tom Hendersons for weeks only to realize they got nothing this year either.
So you want Sony to say something because you keep believing Grubby and Hendo?

Mowcno

I'm not anxious, worrying or getting annoyed about when a showcase will happen. Some posts I've seen on here the past few days... People need to chill lmao.

When it happens it will happen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Part of the fun for some people is guessing what's going to happen. If folks want to get hyped over stuff then I say let them. I don't care for the hype cycle any more so it's easy enough to just ignore it until something is revealed that I care about.

Puscifer

Meh. Who cares about these circle jerk events, just wait till they're over and look at stuff that has your interest. They're literally banking on people doing the marketing for them and the majority of it are trailers with no gameplay to begin with so what's even to get excited for?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
As I've said many times before, I will always miss Sony's showmanship. Jim came in and threw that shit straight into the trash. Even more so, I remember the message Sony gave when this all started.

Something like "We are going to crouch down so we can raise up stronger" or some dumb shit like that. It was the beginning of Sony being tight lipped and it has continued to this day. It's annoying.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
We can just ignore Grubb/Journalists speculations. Remember when for ike 3 years in a row news outlets were saying "Switch 2 this fall". And it never came.

Showcases are only valuable if they have things to show. If Sony doesn't have anything to show, then they're not going to have 2 or 3 showcases a year. They'll be at Summer Games Fest in some capacity, and they'll probably have something at the end of the year showing the things coming out in 2025-2026.

I would say you should just safely ignore anything not from Sony, MS, Nintendo.

They literally have shows every year either in May or June and it's either a State of Play or a showcase.

It's just a matter of when not if. So no, i'm not sick of something that we know is happening sooner or later, lmao.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They literally have shows every year either in May or June and it's either a State of Play or a showcase.

It's just a matter of when not if. So no, i'm not sick of something that we know is happening sooner or later, lmao.
When was the last showcase? All I can remember are State of Plays or extended State of Pllays

Why should I care about marketing? I'd rather hear about games when they're close to release. I swear people enjoy the hype more than the games these days.
This is my take. Never understood why people get so bent out of shape over these reveals. Like yea, if they're gonna show stuff, I'm gonna watch. But I cannot stand when they announce shit that is YEARS away cough** Wolverine** cough. I dont even understand who wins in that situation. You now just put more pressure on devs and you make you're consumers more impatient.

Like I even think the proof is in the pudding here. MS seems to do the most shows, podcasts and overall communication with their customers and yet, they get ragged on the most for their games output.

Astray

Their lack of communication has been awful this gen. It's like they are trying to see how much less of an effort it would take them to bulldoze the opposition.

I answer no, as, my backlog is big, my life is busy, I get an hour a day to game if that, it really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I also own and actively use the following systems: PS5, XBX, Switch, PC/w3060ti, Vita/PSP, 3DS, SteamDeck, Quest2, TG16mini, Snes Mini, PS1mini, Genesis mini (all minis hacked). My steam/gog/pc-disk games alone is over a 1000 titles and that goes back decades. My playstation and Nintendo libraries are huge and my xbox library is mostly OG and 360 games, with a few handfuls of bone and 2 series x games. I think i don't need to see some confrence as i have plenty to play.

I used to follow Sony E3, but that ended well before covid. The last one I remember was when ff7 was announced and then one with days gone, After that they kinda went "we aren't doing one this year".
E3 has been kinda gutted anyway. They took away booth babes, they stopped the large section of indie and obscure titles in the show floor (at least I remember reading that).

I miss the ps3 era e3, but i don't think its coming back. Sony isn't as transparent as they were back then. They also have become woke (along with Microsoft) so I don't get excited about them like I used to. Nintendo though, those directs always have something dropping right after, and they have actual jrpgs, and strange games, even if lower production value, they are creative and do new things with gameplay.

Wooxsvan

i mean id rather just have a big show every summer (doesnt have to be the exact day/month every time) and give us something no matter how good/bad it is. my game-hype levels were always higher when there was a regular cadence to the announcment "season"

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Used to. But this year it was confirmed to be this month by Grubb, so no need to worry if it is coming or not - it's this week.

NickFire

Feels like the accountants have taken control over the gaming division at Sony. Good deals harder to come by, PS+ is a garbage tier service with a jacked up price now, and it feels like we hear more about GAAS getting cancelled than games that are coming out soon. Honestly, now that the KOTOR remake seems dead, and it looks like Wolverine in 2024 was a bunch of bullshit, I don't know what's actually coming from Sony that I should be excited for anytime soon. The two games I am most interested in are both MS titles (Starfield PS5 and BLOPS). Weird times.

GymWolf

I'm prepared for another event full of third parties, indies and first party logos, don't let me down Helmet.

The loss of the E3 was huge.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I agree with you in principle, I don't think the development length is really much of an excuse when they have plenty of studios and should still be able to show or announce titles (though this is more to do with certain pivots like live service or whatever is going on with MS first party) But the constant rumors and will they/won't they is annoying. At least I can still put faith in Ninty Directs.

But at this point I don't really care even if the rumor ends up true and it happens, enough time has passed they struggle to put out anything interesting for me unless it's third-party. Annual shows like SGF, Game Awards, Indie Shows introduce interesting titles and two of them are in-person, so it's fine.

Topher

Gold Member
Feels like the accountants have taken control over the gaming division at Sony. Good deals harder to come by, PS+ is a garbage tier service with a jacked up price now, and it feels like we hear more about GAAS getting cancelled than games that are coming out soon. Honestly, now that the KOTOR remake seems dead, and it looks like Wolverine in 2024 was a bunch of bullshit, I don't know what's actually coming from Sony that I should be excited for anytime soon. The two games I am most interested in are both MS titles (Starfield PS5 and BLOPS). Weird times.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I've started to realize that the of the past few games I've played from Sony, the top three that I enjoyed were all remakes/remasters. Starting to think that PlayStation's days of truly great games are more in the past than in the future. That may or may not be the case, but certainly doesn't seem like Sony gives a shit either way.

GymWolf

If Sony has nothing to show then wouldn’t make much difference if it was on E3 or State of play.

For me I can’t think of any their first party games I should look forward for this year or next year or even year after that.
But e3 kinda forced them to show some vertical slice or something.

There is nothing to be hyped about dude, they haven't showed jack shit yet.

Top Bottom