• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone playing any MUDs?

Bigrx1

Banned
I just started playing my first MUD (Asteria) and was just curious if anyone else plays them or has experience with them. I was surprised to see how many there are when looking to start one. None of them seem super populated with players but there are TONS of them out there. Also, some are subscription based like some mmos and even others are considered P2W MUDs! Didn't occur to me that even would exist in MUDs but it does. Some have pvp, some pve or both, others have a little bit of graphics but most have none. Many have been in development for over 20 years which is pretty wild. Anyway, I'm having fun playing this one but even growing up with ATARI 2600 I still seem to be having some challenges adjusting to ONLY text. I played a little of Zork growing up but not much.

So what are your experiences with MUDs? Are you currently playing one or have in the past?

lefty1117

Gold Member
I played them hardcore when I was college and they were a contributing factor in my early college exit :D

I played a lot of JediMUD, HoloMUD, Genocide and maybe one or two others that I can't remember. Great times memorizing routes to drops and then trying to get to them as fast as possible when the server rebooted. Made some RL friends across the country as well. Fond memories overall, but it was an unhealthy life balance that I learned not to repeat later with games like World of Worldcraft.

Top Bottom