• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

B_Signal

...Yeah I made that Ghost Stories OT. It was decent, but maybe hyped a bit too much, with all the glowing reviews in the trailer etc. Worth a watch if you like those slow burn, with a twist movies. Some of the acting was pretty damn good I will admit. The young boy that was in the Netflix show (where he wants to murder his GF) was quite good.
the bit in the car with him is great :ROFLMAO:

TrainedRage

Banned
My recommendations for James T. Kirk James T. Kirk would be....... (going w/ some lesser known but quite good flix I have seen)

The Sound Of My Voice (very mysterious movie about the draw of being in a cult)

Upstream Color (so, deep and gut wrenching, awe inspiring. You will be like??? Is my life my life?)

IZO (Miike at the top of his game IMO; bat shit crazy)

I would recommend those to anyone who hasn't seen them.... Go now, watch one. Thank me later.

I watched Ghost Stories. It's a British horror story, one larger story that ties together 3 smaller stories. There was a thread on here about it, I loved it, probably the best film I've seen this year, but some others in the thread weren't as keen, so maybe it's not for everyone. It's not especially jump scare heavy, but it is well written and well acted

Same with Hereditary. I kind of reluctantly went to watch it because it looked like a standard modern horror, but it's slower and more old fashioned than that. It's got some shots that are slightly Kubrick, and some of the turns it takes are like the old Hammer Horror's or like a less weird Kill List

...Yeah I made that Ghost Stories OT. It was decent, but maybe hyped a bit too much, with all the glowing reviews in the trailer etc. Worth a watch if you like those slow burn, with a twist movies. Some of the acting was pretty damn good I will admit. The young boy that was in the Netflix show (where he wants to murder his GF) was quite good.
I've seen Ghost Stories too. Loved it. Apart from the ending. Thought that was a cop-out.

Haven't seen Hereditary yet, though.

My recommendations for James T. Kirk James T. Kirk would be....... (going w/ some lesser known but quite good flix I have seen)

The Sound Of My Voice (very mysterious movie about the draw of being in a cult)

Upstream Color (so, deep and gut wrenching, awe inspiring. You will be like??? Is my life my life?)

IZO (Miike at the top of his game IMO; bat shit crazy)

I would recommend those to anyone who hasn't seen them.... Go now, watch one. Thank me later.
Cool. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Last edited:

Porcile

Manbiki Kazoku/Shoplifters. Don't know if this has an subbed English release yet but I watched in Japanese last month. Pretty good but not sure how it won the Palme D'or. Excellent acting performances but the main points which drive the story are basically explained in a ten minute burst at the end.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Watching Only God Forgives. Screw the haters, I’m pretty sure I will love anything Refn ever does. So fucking good.

joombo

Banned
Hot Fuzz - the middle Cornetto film takes a long time to get going but when it does get into gear it is brilliant! Pegg and Frost are always worth watching.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Darkest Hour--very well done look into the early days of Churchill's tenure during WWII and a fantastic performance from Gary Oldman.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
the last one I had the time to pay attention to and really watch was A Dangerous Method. I've been on a bit of a kick for Fassbender recently, but the movie itself drew me in... I remember ancient old textbooks discussing the strained relationship between Jung and Freud, but this certainly cemented it.

Additionally, I thought Knightly was certainly above my expectations, but I don't know much of her work beyond PoTC. *shrug*

Looking forward to watching it again when I have time to pay attention to the nuance.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Upgrade(2018) loved it. Fun sci-fi action thriller with some clever plot stuff. Some pretty badass fight scenes too. In terms of pure entertainment value alone, it was one of my favorites of the year so far.

Gander

Banned
Recommendations:

Popeye
Willow
Coming to America
Undercover Brother
Starship Troopers
Wolf of Wall Street

Mochilador

I've watched The Presidio recently and it's very good. Sean Connery and Mark Harmon are in this movie.

220px-The_Presidio_%281988%29.cover.jpg

bitbydeath

I just watched Interstellar recently, wasn’t expecting much out of it given it goes for close to 3 hours and I expected it to drag but it was surprisingly really good.

Would watch again.

Also watched Extinction, I wouldn’t watch it again...

Rewatched True Grit (2010) a few days ago. Man that's a classic. Hailee Steinfeld is absolutely phenomenal. Everyone is. Not the biggest Damon fan but really enjoy him here. Awesome.

LittleMermaid

Neo Member
It wasn't recently, but I would recommend:
1. Dead poets society
2. The Experiment (2010)
3. Pursuit of happyness

Also, recently I re-watched biography of Amy Winehouse (4. Amy). Still leaves kinda strong impression. Hope you'll like any of these :)

Mr Hyde

Saw Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri a couple of days ago. One of the best films of the decade. Recommend it highly.

I watched Away We Go.

This one surprised me, at first it was irritating me, it came off like a typical hipster comedy of the era ala Juno, but as it went on it won me over, there's one scene in particular and if you've seen the movie I'm sure you know which one I'm referring to, that caught me off guard and is one of the most affecting things I've seen lately, I in fact teared up a bit.

That maybe have been the whole point of the movie, to get your guard down with silly comedy before dropping a big emotional bomb on you and well, it works.

Plus the movie was just an interesting snapshot of the late 00s.

Vlaphor

As The Gods Will

It's kind of a supernatural Battle Royale-ish type movie directed by Takashi Miike, though it's less students against each other and more students against supernatural forces that want to play murderous versions of Japanese childrens games.

I dug it quite a bit. It's my kind of weird. It came out a while ago in Japan, but just recently got an official English localisation.

Last edited:
Just rewatched Frontiere(s). It's an extreme French horror film in the vein of Martyrs and Inside. If you like bloodbaths i recommend it and it's currently free on the Tubi app.

J-Roderton

Finally got around to Akira. Had to run out so I've only caught about half of it so far, but so far so awesome. What other movies are like that?

Orpheum

Watched "Heat" with a friend a couple of Days ago. still a Masterpiece.

Will watch "slenderman" today. Ready for a shitshow.

Arimer

I watched Upgrade a few nights ago and enjoyed the heck out of it. I mean it wasn't groundbreaking by any mean but it was a well made action movie.

ruvikx

Banned
Dude I need to see this.

Also just watched the new Mission Impossible. Them stunts are really,....... really cool. Cruise does a great job.

I won't spoilt it, but, I absolutely hated A Quiet Place.

I feel it gets a free pass because of its gimmick (implied in the title) but the movie itself objectively falls flat on its face because the main characters are idiots who do idiotic things. That killed it for me. As for a 'good' movie I watched recently, I'd say Ant-Man (the first one). It's actually hilarious & the minimalist plot allows the characters & zany action sequences (especially the final part of the movie) to really shine.

It's one of my favorite Marvel Universe movies, actually. I haven't seen the sequel yet though.

Nymphae

Banned
I watched Spirited Away for the first time the other day. First Miyazaki movie I've ever seen. I loved the animation and overall imagination on display, really inspiring stuff.

I thought the plot was a bit weird, but whatever it's fucking anime. The art though!

hecatomb

Banned
Finally got around to Akira. Had to run out so I've only caught about half of it so far, but so far so awesome. What other movies are like that?
You should check out the anime thread I'm sure people can help you there with more anime. Everyone said how good antman and the wasp was, I thought it was ok at best. Maybe cause I already saw infinity war, so watching antman and the wasp after it didn't help.

Raiman

Neo Member
Recently saw Incredibles 2 - Smart, action packed, visually stunning, and HILARIOUS! It's everything you expect from a Pixar movie minus the tears. Actually, scratch that. The nostalgia and the genuinely funny moments will make you cry of pure joy. I personally loved seeing these lovable characters fight their way through super villain mayhem on once again.

Boss Mog

I saw Equalizer 2 the other day. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite type of movie where scum get their comeuppance at the hand of a lone wolf. Seems to be a genre gaining more and more popularity these days since justice is so rarely being served in real life. Plus you can't go wrong with Denzel. the man doesn't know how to make a bad movie.

Ulysses 31

I saw Equalizer 2 the other day. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite type of movie where scum get their comeuppance at the hand of a lone wolf. Seems to be a genre gaining more and more popularity these days since justice is so rarely being served in real life. Plus you can't go wrong with Denzel. the man doesn't know how to make a bad movie.
Would you say it's better than the first? The lasts part just seemed too much that he'd be able to clear out an entire mansion without anyone warning the boss.

Boss Mog

Would you say it's better than the first? The lasts part just seemed too much that he'd be able to clear out an entire mansion without anyone warning the boss.
I think it was better than the first one for sure. Before the movie there was a trailer for a similar justice seeking lone wolf movie starring Jennifer Garner, I look forward to watching that one as well in the future.

Ulysses 31

I think it was better than the first one for sure. Before the movie there was a trailer for a similar justice seeking lone wolf movie starring Jennifer Garner, I look forward to watching that one as well in the future.
You didn't go see Death Wish with Bruce Willis?

Mr Hyde

Just saw Wonders and thought it was really good. I think it´s this generations "Mask", with a great ensemble led by a terrific performance by Jacob Tremblay. It was a bit sentimental at times, but overall it had a moving plot, interesting and layered characters and a message worth taking notice of. Can´t imagine how hard it must be to look different than your peers, especially as a child since kids can be really cruel sometimes, and the filmmakers gets this troublesome living across with Auggies classmates bullying him for his scarred face. Despite the disturbing nature of how society treats those who look different, Wonder had a positive heart and an uplifting spirit, which gave it a warm and fuzzy feel to it. I thought it was gonna be a real tearjerker, and sometimes it was, but it was more happiness than sadness, and I think that was a good route to take.

Top Bottom