• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I watched The Edge(1997). I watch it every winter. It's kind of a dumb movie that's also good. For some reason I've always loved it. Something about it relaxes me, so I watch it every year. It has some really awesome parts, some really stupidly cheesy parts, some awesome sights and scenery, a really good score, and some pretty cool dialogue even though Alec Baldwin is really douchey in it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SU1ms4euh9iZ2dxVGjNxedEsMFDyadhq97YTbtRRE5iA6-3D28Rl8n4t1VTxZCK9d_eJjm_g0loNIiSc-_1_E6VED83KSYor

The Gentlemen (2019)
A short film, may not be movie of the year but for me I think it was pretty good, keeps your attention and it has a lot of stars.
6/10

Just finished:

The Meyerowitz Stories - Noah Baumbach film. I really enjoyed the cast. Held my interest. But nothing special.

The Lion King (2018) - really nice visuals. Familiar story. It was fine.

6 Underground - man, Netflix has really been killing it with these stylized action films. I really enjoyed this one and am hoping for a sequel.

VulcanRaven

Unbreakable (2000)

I watched it again and its really good. Its directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Its very different than most superhero movies. Its more grounded and some might not even know that its a superhero movie. I'm sad that it didn't get a sequel at the time. Glass wasn't very good and I haven't seen Split.

250px-Unbreakable.jpg

Last edited:

sol_bad

Uncut Gems - Netflix

I think I hyped myself up way too much for this film. It was still good and Adam Sandler does an amazing performance but the themes of the film and Adam Sandlers actual character made it very hard for me to connect and be engaged. There are some scenes that are meant to be nerve racking but it wasn't for me.

Story/character spoiler so don't read if you are interested in the film.
His character seems to be addicted to gambling, he is a massive liar and just all around despicable. He just keeps digging his own hole further and further until the end. I saw the ending coming from a mile away but I don't think it was deserved, this all depends on the real value of the items in his shop though.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom
I kinda tuned out near the end, should re-watch the last half hour but nothing really happened through the entire movie. SFX is nice but the story didn’t really go anywhere.

5/10

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I finally saw Wonder Woman the other day.

Kind of overrated. It was a nice period piece and actually felt like a war drama but I thought it was dull. The final fight was the usual dark and grimey action set-piece I've grown to hate especially from DCU movies (but also the final battle in Endgame - disappointed)

Meh. Was it better than other DCU movies? Yes. Was it good. Nah, subpar imo. Gal Gadot is cool though.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The-Lighthouse-2019-banner.jpg

"Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity whilst living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s."

Two accomplished actors, and they're the only people in the movie, you got to see this one. In terms of how scary, it should not be classified as a horror film but it passes as a drama I mean what did the two lighthouse keepers really do? If you see this movie I don't think it matters if its Blue Ray or DVD because as you see its black and white.
6/10
giphy.gif

source.gif

brap

Banned
I think there would still be a visible difference in resolution regardless of the colour palate in use.
Literally doesn't matter. Would look exactly the same on blu ray or an old theater projector they used to show B&W movies on.

DonJorginho

Banned
The-Lighthouse-2019-banner.jpg

"Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity whilst living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s."

Two accomplished actors, and they're the only people in the movie, you got to see this one. In terms of how scary, it should not be classified as a horror film but it passes as a drama I mean what did the two lighthouse keepers really do? If you see this movie I don't think it matters if its Blue Ray or DVD because as you see its black and white.
6/10
giphy.gif

source.gif

6/10 lmao fix up your film tastes my son.

BigBooper

Watched Cliffhanger with Sly Stallone. Was a great dumb cheesy action movie with horrible accents and the Dad from the Waltons was way too happy about watching a woman fall to her death.
6/10

sol_bad

The Gentlemen - Cinema

Totally forgot to mention that I saw this and absolutely loved it. I was honestly concerned about Guy Ritchie becoming a shit film maker after The Man From UNCLE and King Arthur. Aladdin was very good to me but it didn't have the Guy Ritchie flavour. This movie is 100% Guy Ritchie though and if you loved Lock Stock and Snatch you'll love this too. Please go and watch it at the cinemas if you are a fan of those films.
I currently live in the Philippines and the majority of the audience was not laughing at many of the jokes, except for one guy sitting right in front of me. I guessed he was a white guy and I was right, we were the 2 main people laughing at all the jokes so he was obviously from Australia or the UK. I'm telling you now, many UK jokes fly over the heads of Filo's, just the word usage can be very confusing to them.
Anyway, Hugh Grant is fucking amazing in this, Charlie Hunnam came across as a bit scary and Mathew Mconaughey is brilliant as usual. Michelle Dockery is gorgeous, she has some good scenes but as a whole she doesn't have a huge amount to work with.

DonJorginho

Banned
Nor did your post about it being top film of the year with a similar amount of reasons provided.

Mine wasn't a review, I was just saying I watched it for the 7th time.

His was a clear review with no real reasoning's for his score, he just rambled like a mad man about stupid points then slapped on a random number.

I could write a review anytime if it would satisfy you buddy.

Nymphae

Banned
Mine wasn't a review, I was just saying I watched it for the 7th time.

His was a clear review with no real reasoning's for his score, he just rambled like a mad man about stupid points then slapped on a random number.

I could write a review anytime if it would satisfy you buddy.

A review would be worth reading, you should post it if the mood strikes you.

The only difference between his post and yours is that he said a bit more and added a number. You said less and didn't have a number, but a ranking instead. Best film of the year! Totally not a review, if only because you neglected to explain the ranking or your enjoyment of the movie. Then you criticize him for sharing his opinion, without elaborating on yours at all.

1300044776986.jpg

Oh you didn't enjoy the critic's darling? Improve your tastes.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
A review would be worth reading, you should post it if the mood strikes you.

The only difference between his post and yours is that he said a bit more and added a number. You said less and didn't have a number, but a ranking instead. Best film of the year! Totally not a review ("A review is an evaluation of a publication, service, or company such as a movie") Then you criticize him for sharing his opinion, without elaborating on yours at all.

1300044776986.jpg

Oh you didn't enjoy the critic's darling? Improve your tastes.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

He did say more but he just lazily said the film's plot and the fact it is out in DVD? That for me is not a proper review as that is not an evaluation, I mean the guy doesn't even know what genre it is lmao.

Nymphae

Banned
That for me is not a proper review as that is not an evaluation, I mean the guy doesn't even know what genre it is lmao.

There is no requirement to write a lengthy review here. It's just funny that you just mic drop a "best film of year" without attempting to explain that at all, while criticizing others for not providing enough depth in their reviews.

lmao fix up your film tastes my son

I'm sure with this jab he was able to more fully understand why you enjoy the film.

DonJorginho

Banned
There is no requirement to write a lengthy review here. It's just funny that you just mic drop a "best film of year" without attempting to explain that at all, while criticizing others for not providing enough depth in their reviews.

I'm sure with this jab he was able to more fully understand why you enjoy the film.

Okay fine, I will write my own review, it is only fair :messenger_tears_of_joy: my response to him was semi sarcastic, as even though I was disagreeing with him I am not writing off his entire views on film.

But I will write the review never the less.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Parasite deserves every award it won tonight

if you haven't seen it, you really should at least look into it

one of the few movies I thought about every day for weeks after seeing it

Been interested in checking it out for a while now. Definitely will try renting it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

brap

Banned
Parasite deserves every award it won tonight

if you haven't seen it, you really should at least look into it

one of the few movies I thought about every day for weeks after seeing it
After all the praise I've heard for it I'm convinced it's shit. Rich peepo bad amirite fellas?

Parasite is one of the best movies I ever watched, it's a rich and complex story that seems to deal with 20 different subjects at the same time and do them all gracefully. Even the title is open for interpretation and carries some weight after watching the movie. It's a bit bittersweet that it came out in the same year as all around masterpieces like 1917 and Joker, but at the end of the day it was just a bit ahead of them. Just a bit. I wouldn't have been mad with 1917 winning, couldn't see Joker winning but I'd take it as well. But Parasite was just that little bit sharper and it hits you like a motherfucker.

It isn't as simple as "rich people bad" brap brap . You could take it that way, but that would be missing on what it is about. Like I said, there's a lot going on and I don't want to give spoilers to those who plan to watch it. Do watch it. It's fucking awesome.

Naibel

Wow, so many wins for Parasite, even Best Picture, that's fantastic !

It's my favorite movie of 2019, and one of my favorites of the previous decade, so I would say it's completely deserved ^^

brap brap This is not an american movie. They still know in Korea how to do nuance and subtlety when it comes to social commentary. The rich family is certainly guilible and oblivious to what happens below their class, but sometimes we show them in a more sympathetic light. And poor people do act like assholes in this movie as well. :messenger_tongue:

No movies per se but I've been watching iron chef America and it's doing wonders for my contempt for American cuisine :p

Skinny blonde judge: "this is great but i think it's missing bacon"
Respected fat old judge: "your food is very subtle but i really think it should be deep fried"
Another hack judge: "i like how you've got pork cheek and basil in this"

BigBooper

Shadowlands starring Anthony Hopkins. This movie is about CS Lewis' relationship with his wife and various hardships. It's an emotional movie, mostly a romantic drama. Hopkins gives a great performance as always, but the rest of the cast was great also.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm watching Ted 2 on TV. Pretty good though I'm probably missing some scenes due to censoring for television.

I actually got the first Ted free on VUDU thanks to some old NeoGAF thread where people give out codes for movies. Is that thread still around?

DKehoe

Finally got to see The Lighthouse last night. So good. Glad I got to see it in the cinema rather than just watching it at home. The audio and visuals really benefit from it.

Top Bottom