• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

In the process of watching Running With The Devil. It's pretty fucking wack so far.

Edit: Just finished watching it. Somehow, I managed to push through and endure. Utter. Dogshit. Terrible acting. Some of the worst writing I've ever had to suffer through. It's comically, eye-rollingly bad. Nick Cage and Larry Fishburne are clearly well past giving a fuck about what they attach their names to. Don't watch it. And if you have anyone in your life you care about, tell them not to watch it. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Coherence: interesting movie, low budget and almost everything is set in same location (reminds me of The Man from Earth in this aspect). Story is entertaining and ending is surprisingly good. Minuses: sometimes dumb and/or annoying characters and low budget that shows. Worth seeing 7/10 (y)

Last edited:

sol_bad

Togo - Disney+

I wasn't expecting much from this film but Willem Defoe can make anything great and I really enjoyed him in this, It was nice to see a movie that was a bit more "accurate" to what happened during the Serum Run in 1925. It's not 100% accurate of course, no film ever is that is based on reality, but it's better than what we've seen so far. Some of the challenges that Defoe's character faces are also a bit over the top but it helps to keep the entertainment factor high.
Film had a lot of heart by the end of the story.

megamerican

The Girl on the Third Floor - A relatively interesting first hour of home renovation meets body horror starring ex pro wrestler CM Punk. However, the movie shits the bed so hard in the last half hour I can't recommend this at all.

sol_bad

Spy - Netflix

Watched this on the flight back to Australia and it is honestly one of the worst movies I have watched. Sure it had some funny moments but my wife and I eventually became so bored that we both agreed to turn it off. It is way worse than Ghostbusters as a film and Paul Feig should have copped all the shit for this film.

Downhill - Cinema

Pretty good film but please note that it is not a full on 100% comedy, it's much more a dramedy and the trailer will not set your expectations correctly. Will Ferrell was ok in it but Julia Louis-Dreyfus was bloody amazing in this.

Midsommar

I actually liked Hereditary quite a bit, but this movie is just groooaaaan. Visually the movie is shot nice and the first 15 minutes are really good, but once it hits Sweden everything just takes a nose dive, also the movie is practically 2 1/2 hours long so it's a bit overdrawn.

Hereditary worked for me because of it's well written characters. These were characters who came off as real people where Midsommar has this completely nihilistic self centered viewpoint of characters with no sense of self preservation. The characters are just so oblivious to their surroundings with so many red flags happening around them it's not even funny.

At least Hereditary has a final climax and a plot that keeps you intrigued the entire way, where with Midsommar it just kind of goes on this predictable route and just ends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's also scenes that seem like they are meant to foreshadow something, but they lead to fucking nothing and are just pointless.

What was the fucking point of showing the scene where a woman hides a pair of scissors under a childs pillow in the dorm room. Was it supposed to be died to the quilting of the MC trimming her pubes? They weren't what the chick was using to carve the love rune since she was using a knife and what would be the point of hiding the scissors under the pillow instead of just giving them to her even if they were what she was using. How did nobody notice how perverted the quiltings were where kids were sleeping? Why did nobody give a shit when their friends started disappearing one by one? Like your friend goes missing after pissing on a grave site and that's not a red flag? Not to mention the London couple.

I could go on a scientist man rant about this film.

Amory

On a round trip flight I watched Parasite, Ford v Ferrari, Knives Out, and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

I thought they were all great. Parasite in particular.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Freak on netflix. Great low budget horrorish film. Dont want to spoil it but it is a great throwback to the 80s flicks like Scanners. Very internally consistent and a lot of fun figuring it out.

In the tall grass. Adaption of the Stephen king/joe hill short story. Expanded a bit and not as much cosmic horror but still pretty good.

I'm working my way through Midsommar. Kinda agree with the poster a bit above that it is overlong and not nearly as interesting as it could be, but I still enjoy the weirdness.

Freaks

I went in blind on Netflix and loved this movie so fucking much. So smartly written, Bruce Dern turns in an incredible performance.

This movie is so fucking good that I'm sure it will become a cult classic in a few years. This movie is a damn masterpiece.

end spoilers, don't click if you want to go in blind
This is the best X-Men movie ever made, period.

God Enel

Watched bloodshot. What a shit movie. I think you could’ve get so much more out of the character as it’s quite cool. But the movie was trash. Though I have to admit that the black haired chick was hot as fuck 10/10 would smash. Overall I’d rate it 4-5/10

and watched a Korean movie “the good the gangster and the devil” what a great entertaining flick. The gangsterboss was such a cool dude.im gonna watch it for sure at some point in my life.7/10

last film I watched was the first pusher (winding refn movie). Watched it several times and always awesome. 9/10

xrnzaaas

Rewatched Contagion because it was on tv (they sure know how to attract viewers lol) and it's still very good. The first 30 minutes are probably the best, but it's enjoyable to the very end. Jude Law's conspiracy theorist character was very interesting given current situation with the coronavirus. ;)

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
Super pumped to see Stargirl on Disney + last night. It’s probably my favorite fictional novel of all time. The movie did a great job holding onto its source material.

I first read Stargirl in 2003 when I started teaching 6th grade Language Arts. It was such a remarkable book, that I did it as a read aloud for several years after and have read it several times on my own.

The movie does change the ending a bit, and changes some of the characterization, but the actors, music and overall feel of the movie makes it a strong recommendation.

deafmedal

Midsommar- I mean, sure. Why not? Whatever.

Hot Summer Nights- Hot people doing hot things. Okay.

I Spit On Your Grave 2- Had my balls in a vice. Love these dumb fucking movies but yeah, kinda over the top with the rapey revengey stuff. But that’s the point, yeah?

1/3 of whatever that Joaquin Phoenix with a sledgehammer movie on Amazon is called. May finish, may not. Beginning bored me, had to have a nice nap.

Quasicat

Gold Member
JoJo rabbit was excellent

I’ve really wanted to see this. I went on Youtube to see a couple of trailers, and the third stupid video that pops up has the big ending spoiler as it’s title. Seriously?!?
Is it still good if I know how it’s going to end?

Hotspurr

Banned
I’ve really wanted to see this. I went on Youtube to see a couple of trailers, and the third stupid video that pops up has the big ending spoiler as it’s title. Seriously?!?
Is it still good if I know how it’s going to end?

You can't really spoil this movie.
It's all about the experience of this little boy and the inner battle between indoctrination and inherent good in some people.
The movie has great music, acting (I don't like Scarlett, though, she can't act to save her life), top notch humor and an important message.
Seriously watch it and then come back here to gush about it ;)

Fbh

Now that it's out to stream I finally watched Rise of Skywalker.
Even having read the spoilers and watched some of the leaks I was still surprised by how bad this shit as.

A boring, badly written mess with a bad attempt at MCU dialog/humor that doesn't fit, and tasked with fixing the mess that was TLJ while simultaneously ending the trilogy. What a shitshow this new SW trilogy has been. I thought there was no way but up after the prequels, guess I was wrong.

Watched with a super casual audience (1 star wars fan and 2 people who have seen the other movies but don't care too much about the franchise) and we all pretty much laughed our way through it because of how bad it was.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
spenser%2Bconfidental%2Bmovie%2Bbillboard.jpeg

Honestly pretty good, you could see Mark Wahlberg enjoying it, I appreciate the fights at the very least some of the scenes were kinda immature, kinda silly and it's not really a movie that will define Mark Wahlberg's career like Planet of the Apes or Four Brothers.
3/5

Prison Mike

Banned
spenser%2Bconfidental%2Bmovie%2Bbillboard.jpeg

Honestly pretty good, you could see Mark Wahlberg enjoying it, I appreciate the fights at the very least some of the scenes were kinda immature, kinda silly and it's not really a movie that will define Mark Wahlberg's career like Planet of the Apes or Four Brothers.
3/5
Plus post malone plays a shit hard man lol

Fbh

Also watched the new Terminator.

It wasn't as bad as I thought and it also wasn't nearly as woke as I thought.
Like a lot of modern movies though, it suffers from too much CGI, and as a result everything from the initial chase to the setpiece moments towards the end looks distractingly fake.

Grinchy

Banned
I was talked into watching the newest Star Wars movie. It really did suck. It was a series of barely connecting scenes where they go from one place with an implausible reason for being there to the next place with a new implausible reasoning.

It leaves so many questions for why things play out the way they do throughout the whole movie. They decide it's a good idea to introduce even more side characters during this finale to a trilogy despite not even giving a reason yet to care all that much about the main ones. It ends and just feels like nothing about it mattered in any way.

Last edited:

MGHA

The Girl on the Third Floor - A relatively interesting first hour of home renovation meets body horror starring ex pro wrestler CM Punk. However, the movie shits the bed so hard in the last half hour I can't recommend this at all.

Oh good lord yes. The whole movie was so good, so promising but then the last 5 pages of the script happened.

Grinchy

Banned
I watched the Sonic movie. It's a kid's movie, so don't go in expecting some great piece of cinema or anything, but I actually kinda liked it. Some of the jokes fell flat for me, but it's a pretty good example of how to handle a videogame to movie transition.

Very faithful to the game series but still managed to make it work in our actual world. It felt like an old-school movie and fresh at the same time. I was a bit impressed! Though, the main character's wife is distracting from being so bad at acting.

MastAndo

The Invisible Man - what a load of nonsensical drivel. Two hours of one highly improbable, brain-dead sequence of events after another. Usually I'm a pretty forgiving viewer and can disregard plenty of dumb shit to enjoy a flick, but there was just too much of it here. Plus, while Elizabeth Moss does a decent enough job, I can't help feel like there's a Maggie Gyllenhaal Dark Knight thing going on here - I mean, her?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Watched "A Quiet Place" a few days ago

It was pretty good. Overall a great movie, but it wasn't terrifying or shocking or anything that would leave a lasting mark upon your mind. A true horror film imo, should bring at least a true feeling of fear, primal fear, to the viewer. A Quiet Place does not achieve that. It has depth, it's a very well rounded suspenseful film and did extremely well for how little ground was covered in the film. They were at a grocery store, their house, and a few football fields away, a river and corn mill in a corn field. It wasn't anything super exciting or impressive, but it's worth a watch

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Invisible Man - what a load of nonsensical drivel. Two hours of one highly improbable, brain-dead sequence of events after another. Usually I'm a pretty forgiving viewer and can disregard plenty of dumb shit to enjoy a flick, but there was just too much of it here. Plus, while Elizabeth Moss does a decent enough job, I can't help feel like there's a Maggie Gyllenhaal Dark Knight thing going on here - I mean, her?
It just sounds like a cornball B movie. I mean come on, even if you make the film to perfection, The Invisible Man is just too fucking simple. What kind of dimwit director or producer signs off on that? Yeah you have to sell it globally and appeal to the audience worldwide, but still....Put something into the title ffs. Yeah there's a man, he's invisible, thanks now we know the entire fucking story already, good work team

I hate when movies fail on some level, harshly. So much goes into them monetarily and resource wise. Why the fuck can't somebody step up and say no, 100% no, this has to change; there HAS to be more thought and detail put into this. Why can't that happen more often

Finally got around to Rise of Skywalker and didn't enjoy it all, it's a flaming piece of crap.

But it kind of made me appreciate Solo a bit more. Ron Howard is a good director and at least the film is paced properly. The set pieces are shot and edited well with the action easy to follow.

It at least has the train heist sequence going for it and some genuinely fun moments like when Han meets Chewbacca.

Woody Harrelson and Paul Bettany pretty much carry the film.

It's not the best Star Wars movie ever but it's sure as shit better then Rise of Skywalker. I actually genuinely kind of like the first half of Solo, it's a shame that I didn't feel the same about a good chunk about the second half.

JJ Abrams is a "fake it until you make it" hack.

mango drank

The Platform (on Netflix) is one of the weirdest movies I've seen in a while. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the mood for something bleak and dystopian.

The Color Out of Space spends its first 1.5 hours kinda ambling along and feeling like a nothingburger, but then the last half hour is great.

Top Bottom