• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Russia knew of chemical attack, tried to cover it up by bombing hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damerman

1 step closer to the (still really far fetched) conspiracy theory that the Kremlin commendited the attack knowing that it would generate massive news headlines for Trump in the US to distract from his constant media woes.
This is what i believe. And i feel crazy for it.

sflufan

Banned
Let's be clear here: there is still no evidence that the Russians actually bombed the hospital, only that a "Russian-made jet" was responsible for it.

painey

Because they (the IC) dont trust Trump.

I guess I was looking at it more of a stand-point of a Senior official announcing it, rather than them 'leaking' it anonymously like they have. I didn't see what the Trump administration would gain from it. This makes more sense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I really really really need this to be confirmed but god damn if it's true.

Fuck off all you "he's so presidential!" fucks!

AndyD

aka andydumi
I mean they've literally been flattening whole districs of Aleppo for months.

It's just that no one in the west cared

Indeed. Someone yesterday said Trump is in a tough position now that they flip flopped away from non-intervention (and away from Obama doctrine) as we cannot go back again without entirely losing all credibility.

iammeiam

why release this kind of information to the public? No normal human being could feel anything but anger at Russia for this, and the lunatics will be the ones demanding full-blown warfare over this stuff.

Because this kind of shit belongs at the forefront of everyone's mind when Trump is rambling on about "Would it really be so bad if we got along with Russia?"

Every single person should be made extremely aware that getting along with Russia involves turning a blind eye on abhorrent actions like this, and there is no reason to believe the current administration will make sure the info gets out.

Bombing a hospital with some or all of its victims there isn't going to cover it up, so if that was their intention, that's odd. I wouldn't put it past them to do that, though.

No one is going to inspect a dismembered leg in a warzone for signs of gas exposure.

SeanC

Straight up war crime, let's see how our cowardly administration reacts, shall we?

"But Obama wiretapped that same hospital."

zethren

Banned
Fucking abhorrent.

Fuck anyone who thinks we should cozy up to, or ally with, Putin.

I will be interested to see if Trump responds to this (he probably won't).

Kadin

Let's be clear here: there is still no evidence that the Russians actually bombed the hospital, only that a "Russian-made jet" was responsible for it.
Who does Russia sell their jets to? Serious question because I have no clue.

Kurdel

Banned
Realistically, you cannot cover up a chemical weapons attack.

Like that first attack, we instantly got footage of the victims, who were covered in the stuff.

Also, a bombing campaign designed to eradicate proof would have to be massive, instantaneous and thorough, rending the gassing redundant/pointless.

I have trouble buying this hypothesis.

Xando

So either they bombed the hospital themselves or they monitored the hospital with a drone and told Assad to bomb it

No big difference if you ask me

Agreed, I can't tell if this is a troll or not. The derangement over the Trump is a Russian stooge narrative is out of control.

If his staff collaborated with foreign agents to hack servers and disseminate propaganda to help beat Hillary and he knew about it, he has committed treason regardless of whether he is a "stooge".

He's so fucking dumb he could be a stooge and still kick the hornet's nest, too, you know.

Briarios

The timeline goes something like this:

We have reports of Russian chemical weapons expertise in Syria.

Trump's approval ratings continue to plummet.

There is a chemical weapons attack (real world test?) in Syria. A Russian drone follows the survivors to a hospital and an airstrike moments later destroys it.

Trump is given a great excuse to take military action -- by the Russians -- something that almost always increases approval ratings.

The airbase the attack was launched from was bombed by dozens of cruise missiles that were satellite targeted ... All missing the runway. The base is operational hours later.

Trump's approval rating goes up.

The instability causes a surge in the price of oil propping up Russia whose economy is based on oil.

I'm mean, I'm not a conspiracy guy, but Putin's wet dream is revitalizing the Cold War, which has basically been done. This whole thing is a sham to prop up the leaders while civilians get killed.

ZOONAMI

So seriously, why are there so few protests in Russia for this kind of behavior in Syria and Ukraine?

And despite potentially polling issues isn't the consensus that Putin actually does enjoy widespread support domestically?

Like extremely high approval #s?

Wag

You are all wrong people. This is not the issue. It's how this info leaked which is the issue.

zethren

Banned

There is a chemical weapons attack (real world test?) in Syria. A Russian drone follows the survivors to a hospital and an airstrike moments later destroys it.

Trump is given a great excuse to take military action -- by the Russians -- something that almost always increases approval ratings.

The airbase the attack was launched from was bombed by dozens of cruise missiles that were satellite targeted ... All missing the runway. The base is operational hours later.

The instability causes a surge in the price of oil propping up Russia whose economy is based on oil.

I'm mean, I'm not a conspiracy guy, but Putin's wet dream is revitalizing the Cold War, which has basically been done. This whole thing is a sham to prop up the leaders while civilians get killed.

I wouldn't even classify this as a conspiracy theory, to be honest. At this point none of that seems outlandish.

RDreamer

Let's be clear here: There's really not terribly many other countries that would be bombing hospitals in Syria, specifically ones where victims of chemical attacks are going. It's either Russia or it's Syria, and if it's Syria that doesn't really put Russia in any better of a light since they're working with Assad/Syria anyway.

So yeah, let's be clear: Russia is a fucking scumbag country beyond belief.

So seriously, why are there so few protests in Russia for this killing be of behavior in Syria and Ukraine?

And despite potentially polling issues isn't the consensus that Putin actually does enjoy widespread support domestically?

Like extremely high approval #s?

This is the state-sponsored article (posted yesterday) about anyone implying Russia's involvement:

https://************/viral/384121-syria-chemical-attack-conspiracy-theories/

Obviously insert "r" and "t" where the asterisks are.

Damerman

Maaan, i'm telling you.

Al-ibn Kermit

I wouldn't even classify this as a conspiracy theory, to be honest. At this point none of that seems outlandish.

I don't think the runway was "missed". It seems more that the tomahawks are not designed in the first place to destroy runways and were used on other targets.

Basically, there was never the intention of launching a strike that would do any real damage to the airfields functionality.

For perspective, the infowars/batshit angle on this is that the Soros/Al Qaeda/White Helmets, in collaboration with Obama's deep state silent coup, planted chemical weapons as a part of a false flag attack to pressure Trump into changing US policy towards Syria back towards support for regime change.

No, I'm not making that up.

Your crazy uncle/grandparents and tweaker republicans are probably already pasting it on facebook and sending all caps emails your way. Just a heads up for the crazy conversations you might find yourself in.

Ogodei

If it was Russian-made, it was the Russians. The Syrians are flying Soviet-made aircraft, but of an older class than what the Russians would be flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom