• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Russia knew of chemical attack, tried to cover it up by bombing hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

I'm sure some of them do. There were recently protests in Moscow and other cities a few weeks back, numbering in the thousands each. Hundreds of people were arrested (including political opponents of the current government), because the protests were not (to quote NPR) "government sanctioned". It's already too late for reasonable democratic dissent in Russia.

I'm actually worried about the future of Russia. Putin will eventually die, but he's concentrated so much power in himself that he has no clear successor and some of his confidants are legitimate loonies who want Russian hegemony at any cost. The power grab could get really ugly.

People in Russia make fun of medvedev constantly so that's a no go

Also isn't the above the plot of one of the call of duty games, the power grab specifically lol

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Wait.

Russia is the smartest country around.

It's kind retarded of them to try to cover up anything of this nature with such a blatant try.

Or maybe they don't give a fuck anymore because they know the USA is in their pocket.

:/

Same guys who pretended their soldiers weren't actively invading Crimea? Yeah Putin doesn't give a fuck.

Toxi

Banned
O rly.

Is that what we're going to assume whenever a hospital gets bombed now? A coverup? 5 hours after the incident has been captured on phones?
Do you have an alternate proposal for why a Russian-made fighter bombed a hospital receiving victims of a chemical attack hours after a Russian-controlled drone was observing the hospital?

Pyrrhus

Not sure I understand your question. I wasn't making mention or referring to anyone in my previous post.

What I meant was that I agree that being implicated in this is definitely not a good look. But since regardless of who you were talking about, which seemed to me to be either Putin, Assad, or Trump, they were already awful people, I didn't quite understand who this would be a bad look for them. You know, because it's hard to look worse than they already do.

avaya

Why is anyone even surprised?

The country needs to be bankrupted straight up. The Russian's are actually actively pursuing a new cold war in a vain attempt to retard or stop their precipitous decline into irrelevance on the world stage.

The country should be sanctioned to shit.

You know, that's Nazi SS type of stuff right there.

Bad enough you tried to murder people with poison gas bombs. Then you go back and try to bomb them while the few survivors are being treated in a hospital...

RUSSIA needs a regime change as much as Syria does. You don't work diplomacy with murderers who bomb hospitals to cover up their own war crimes.

What I meant was that I agree that being implicated in this is definitely not a good look. But since regardless of who you were talking about, which seemed to me to be either Putin, Assad, or Trump, they were already awful people, I didn't quite understand who this would be a bad look for them. You know, because it's hard to look worse than they already do.
Not sure if you're making something out of nothing or just trying to see something that just isn't there.

"Not a good look" is African American Vernacular English, i.e. slang - meaning "that's not cool" or "that's fucked up" (in this particular context). Can also be used in another context meaning: "it might not work out".

Given that, not sure how you getting anything else out of a very straightforward comment.

EDIT: This may help you.

antonz

I doubt it was an attempt at a cover-up. Russia doesn't give a shit. They just deny, deny, deny until they admit it. Bombing hospitals is pretty standard routine for their actions in Syria.

I mean White Phosphorous bombs were being dropped yesterday.

Volimar

Seth Abramsont @SethAbramson 30m30 minutes ago

Seth Abramson Retweeted Asaad Hanna

Now that AP confirms Putin knew about the Syrian chemical airstrike beforehand, is it OK to note the pilot was then _killed by a car bomb_?

Asaad Hanna‏@AsaadHannaa

Breaking: the pilot Gen Mhmd Hasoury who made the chemical massacre in Khan Shaikhoun had been killed today by a bomb blast under his car

Zoon

I doubt it was an attempt at a cover-up. Russia doesn't give a shit. They just deny, deny, deny until they admit it. Bombing hospitals is pretty standard routine for their actions in Syria.

I mean White Phosphorous bombs were being dropped yesterday.
My thoughts as well. The only way you cover this up is if you nuke the entire town. They just followed the standard practice.

Arttemis

Is there any doubt that Russia supplied the (or simply didn't destroy Syria's stock of) sarin gas? The whole thing seems pretty cut and dry.

MikeDown

Banned
This is the Putin that everyone in the Republican party now loves.
Exactly, I remember republicans being all up in arms when Obama said to Putin that he could "be more flexible" or something during his second term while next to a hot mic. The hypocrisy is staggering.

Asaad Hanna‏@AsaadHannaa
Pure coincidence

1gjdAX7.gif

samn

Says anonymous unnamed US official

I'll be screamed at for saying this but we already been through this shit with WMD in Iraq

jelly

Asaad Hanna‏@AsaadHannaa

Going to wait for a better source on that one. Syria denied the attack in the first place remember, how would you know who the pilot was. Being a pilot may look bad but could just be rebels if true.

Sijil

All this trouble just to kill 70 civilians?

Doesn't add up, chemical weapons are meant as weapons of mass area denial, mass destruction. If the aim was to take the whole northern Hama country side with Khan Sheikhoun as the the main target then they would've done a lot more than that with the time window they had.

So either two theories, it was either a mutual Trump/Russian plot to alleviate pressure on Trump or a Saudi/Nusra plot to draw in direct US intervention seeing as they've been loosing ground since the Russian intervention especially after Aleppo.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
All this trouble just to kill 70 civilians?

Doesn't add up, chemical weapons are meant as weapons of mass area denial, mass destruction. If the aim was to take the whole northern Hama country side with Khan Sheikhoun as the the main target then they would've done a lot more than that with the time window they had.

So either two theories, it was either a mutual Trump/Russian plot to alleviate pressure on Trump or a Saudi/Nusra plot to draw in direct US intervention seeing as they've been loosing ground since the Russian intervention especially after Aleppo.

or Assad used chemical weapons to kill his own citizens like he's done several times before.

sometimes the world isn't complicated.

Sijil

The story of the pilot responsible being killed is fake.

https://twitter.com/putintintin1/status/851522905510993921

Story can be traced to a pro FSA tweep with no evidence.

or Assad used chemical weapons to kill his own citizens like he's done several times before.

sometimes the world isn't complicated.

That's your explanation? Just because?

So the Russian/Syrian command approved a CW strike that they knew would draw in world attention and possibly invite intervention just because? They could've killed those 70 civilians via other means if the objective was just civilians. That is a superficial explanation at best.

cdyhybrid

Says anonymous unnamed US official

I'll be screamed at for saying this but we already been through this shit with WMD in Iraq
Eh, I don't see anyone (in this thread at least) calling for an invasion.

Just a whole lot of "Yup, that's Putin"

slit

It could also be Assad seeing what Trump would do. With Russia backing Assad he doesn't have a whole lot to fear.

Toxi

Banned
Man, you jump through fucking hoops to blame everyone but Assad.

I think folks should be more cautious and stop short of total and complete buy in here. Of course the AP is credible (and employs one of my favorite journalists) but the story is sourced from "a[n anonymous] senior U.S. official" and that should be taken into consideration no matter how likely this scenario is. We've seen similarly sourced articles like this just fall completely and embarrassingly flat.

Sijil

Man, you jump through fucking hoops to blame everyone but Assad.

Yeah excuse me for not believing the whole "using CW on civilians just for the lolz" shtick. CW is a strategic weapon designed to be used on a strategic scale, pissing it away just to kill 70 civilians is unconvincing.

It could've been Russia/Assad, but saying it was done just to kill 70 civilians again is superficial at best.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
That's your explanation? Just because?

So the Russian/Syrian command approved a CW strike that they knew would draw in world attention and possibly invite intervention just because? They could've killed those 70 civilians via other means if the objective was just civilians. That is a superficial explanation at best.

what was the reason he did it in 2013? was that also a Putin/Trump conspiracy?

while I wouldn't call it "just because" it seems more like the reason might be to provoke a new US president to see how far you could go and as a result get Russia dig deeper in and step up like your personal bodyguard and this is the way to do it. Harder lines needed to be drawn otherwise Assad risks losing what little support he has.

edit: Just look at the situation before this happened. You had a US president who was more sympathetic to Russia. You had the UK set to meet them for the first time in five years. They were losing their only ally. This has forced Russia back onto Assad's side of the world against the US/West

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
There is so much unverified tweed / anonymous leaked bullshit doing its round, its impossible to say whats the truth or straight up propaganda. On every side.

This is huge.

Holy shit :/

OH MAN. Just read those tweets. Sweet Christ...literally got chills.

How do people believe either of these could happen?! Was it not Assad? Don't understand how you completely dismiss the fact. Also...as much as Trump isn't a man of much integrity or honesty, I believe he has enough to NOT do that. It's kind of fucked anyone would even think that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom