• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently the series S can run out of VRAM…

Duchess

My take on this is that there is a memory leak in the game (Borderlands 3), that is specifically affecting the Series S.

Update: seems it might be related to Quick Resume, and how much memory that uses up. Devs need to keep in mind that games might be in Quick Resume state, and that's consuming system resources:

Last edited:

Crayon

blue-screen-of-death-bsod-windows-56a6faab3df78cf772913ee6-5c7d89d346e0fb0001d83daf.png

ZehDon

Gold Member
Update: seems it might be related to Quick Resume, and how much memory that uses up. Devs need to keep in mind that games might be in Quick Resume state, and that's consuming system resources:
That's not how Quick Resume works. At all. Quick Resumes snapshots the memory state of the game and saves it to the SSD, which is why the system reserves a good chunk of the internal SSD - Quick Resumes eats up that space.

Duchess

That's not how Quick Resume works. At all. Quick Resumes snapshots the memory state of the game and saves it to the SSD, which is why the system reserves a good chunk of the internal SSD - Quick Resumes eats up that space.
That's actually what I thought, too, but that YouTube video I linked, as well as some comments in the Reddit post, claim that removing games from Quick Resume fixes the problem.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's actually what I thought, too, but that YouTube video I linked, as well as some comments in the Reddit post, claim that removing games from Quick Resume fixes the problem.

Probably an error in the Quick Resume copy process, then.

I still maintain that MS were excessively stingy in the memory and chipset setup for the XSS. A 6TF device with similar memory setup as the One X would have been much better. But alas.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Memory leaks kill games on pc too, this is a developer problem not a series s problem.
I think the only issue is the phrasing about upgrading the video card. Systems all have faults, this looks like a lazy oversight than anything sinister.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That doesn't change the fact that Quick Resume doesn't work in the way your OP and thread title is trying to say it does. The issue reads like a problem with the hyperV suspension, and I'd wager that clearing Quick Resume addresses the error because then their vRAM states are no longer present to be checked by the OS, which is what's throwing the error.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I remember this happening on the series X with Ascent at launch. Was patched in no time.

Imagine it happening on a series X, lol.

Quick, let's all blame the hardware though!

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Probably an error in the Quick Resume copy process, then.
The bug is not really in the quick resume process.

After reading some of the reddit comments I would guess there is a small Memory leak somewhere, too small to matter when running normally.
But with Quick resume you just make a "freeze" of your current state and start from there again, as if the game runs forever. Over time the leaked memory adds up until the memory runs out and the game crashes.
If you would run the game endless without restarting it, the leak would also show up after a while.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
PS4 was notorious for memry leak issues that did affect the performance, not a big deal imo restarting the console will solve the problem

Puts on MisterXMedia Hat:
MS Shy about showing full power, devs do not have full SDK yet, will require new pipelines to take advantage
New GDK is game changer, Sony cannot compete devs will need to devote full time to XBOX and Sony not happy
Devs do not want to upset Sony but super excited about new GDK
Hidden Terafdilops? GDK unlocks new raytracing codes for REAL RDNA3. VRS 3.0 only on new GDK
Series S actually more powerful than PS5. Sampler Feedback key
MS has too much money to lose, Phil pretending but he knows new GDK will make XBOX king, but too busy with new Crackdown 4 with Sampler Feedback VRS Cloud Streaming MIPs
Activision wilk make new COD for Xbox only using GDK.. TOy Story visuals

Last edited:

Tsaki

I still maintain that MS were excessively stingy in the memory and chipset setup for the XSS. A 6TF device with similar memory setup as the One X would have been much better. But alas.
And much more expensive. +50% GPU power and more VRAM modules and all the accompanying cooling upgrades that will lead to a bigger box. Microsoft already loses enough money with each Series S sold.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, let's make consoles similar to PS3 and Sega Saturn to make development times two or three times longer.
Yet development now is years longer than it was on ps3.
I would prefer bespoke console architecture rather than to have the same problems like on pc and no optimization

kuncol02

Banned
The bug is not really in the quick resume process.

After reading some of the reddit comments I would guess there is a small Memory leak somewhere, too small to matter when running normally.
But with Quick resume you just make a "freeze" of your current state and start from there again, as if the game runs forever. And over time the leaked memory adds up until the memory runs out and the game crashes.
If you would run the game endless without restarting it, the leak would also show up after a while.
We once had memory leak reported by client that was so small that it was visible only after weeks of not restarting app (and it wasn't some server software). How they went without need of restarting windows for over a month I have no idea.

Ozriel

M$FT
And much more expensive. +50% GPU power and more VRAM modules and all the accompanying cooling upgrades that will lead to a bigger box. Microsoft already loses enough money with each Series S sold.

Hard to see how that would put more than $50 on the BOM. And yet they’ve cut prices drastically already. They’ve discounted series S to $200 - 250 multiple times already.

A 6TF box would have held pricing better…and they’d already get part of the way with more aggressive clock speeds

Top Bottom