• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently the series S can run out of VRAM…

Tsaki

Hard to see how that would put more than $50 on the BOM. And yet they’ve cut prices drastically already. They’ve discounted series S to $200 - 250 multiple times already.

A 6TF box would have held pricing better…and they’d already get part of the way with more aggressive clock speeds
Hardware is not the reason people don't buy Series consoles so I doubt it would held pricing better in a satisfactory manner. If MS loses $100-$200 for every console sold, $50 is a huge increase percentage wise.
If it was easy to upclock the GPU they would have done so from the beginning. They didn't do it because it worsens yields and it disproportionately affects power consumption. One of the appeals of the Series S being a small box would cease to exist.

Mahavastu

Hard to see how that would put more than $50 on the BOM. And yet they’ve cut prices drastically already. They’ve discounted series S to $200 - 250 multiple times already.

the Series S is totally optimized for price. I would assume that after the major shrink they will be able to sell the box in the $150-$200 territory, which might mean an "impulse buy" for many once games are coming.
I would also assume that some the small Series S dies were located on the corner of the expensive and limited wafer, making these area usable which otherwise would have to be thrown away, giving them those chips "for free". A larger die would reduce this advantage.

The Series S is what it is for a reason, and it seems to do its job "good enough". Making it too good might mean that some people would buy the Series S instead of the now relativly more attractive Series X. Now it is too late to discuss about it.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Thats interesting good i bought the Series X with more RAM i made the right decision because i wanted to buy the Series S

"Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory"

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Can I upgrade the video card on Series S?
Download more VRAM.

DaGwaphics

Memory leaks kill games on pc too, this is a developer problem not a series s problem.

It truly is. On a fixed hardware device the devs know specifically what is available and should catch an overrun before release. But, there will always be the oddities, like those games that could fry PS4 Pros and 1Xs.

Tsaki

the Series S is totally optimized for price. I would assume that after the major shrink they will be able to sell the box in the $150-$200 territory, which might mean an "impulse buy" for many once games are coming.
I would also assume that some the small Series S dies were located on the corner of the expensive and limited wafer, making these area usable which otherwise would have to be thrown away, giving them those chips "for free". A larger die would reduce this advantage.

The Series S is what it is for a reason, and it seems to do its job "good enough". Making it too good might mean that some people would buy the Series S instead of the now relativly more attractive Series X. Now it is too late to discuss about it.
Generally the node shrinks at the moment don't offer much better transistors/$. A jump to 5nm from 7nm makes the chip smaller (so more chips from a wafer) but the newer wafer itself is much more expensive. AMD and Nvidia can jump to new nodes for their newer architectures but they also sell their products at higher prices than in the past, offsetting the rise in production cost.
Also, Series S and Series X chips are not made in the same wafer.

Top Bottom