• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple doesn't allow moviemakers to show villains using iPhones

plushyp

YFgSLmP.jpg

Apple does not let filmmakers show villains using iPhones on camera, movie director Rian Johnson said in a new interview with Vanity Fair.

"Apple, they let you use iPhones in movies, but—and this is very pivotal if you're ever watching a mystery movie—bad guys cannot have iPhones on camera," Johnson said. Johnson said he was reluctant to reveal that tidbit "because it's going to screw me on the next mystery movie that I write," but he added, "forget it, I'll say it. It's very interesting."

Source:

Why is this anti consumer or shitty? They have the absolute right to decide how their products are depicted on screen.
They have the right, but it's still a shitty move.
What good can you say about the company who forbids villains using their smartphones? Only the good guys can use it?
I'm not sure how can I explain to you this, but it's lame AF.

Why is this anti consumer or shitty? They have the absolute right to decide how their products are depicted on screen.
They absolutely shouldnt, and if the law says they can then the law should be changed.

Unless a company is paying for a product to be shown as part of their advertising, then whatever moviemaker bought it as part of their movies budget owns it and can do whatever the hell they want with it. It's their property afterall.

I mean I can accept not being able to tell out right lies about a product, but once anyone, be it an individual or a company buys something, they should be able to do whatever they hell they want with the thing they now own, and the manufacturer should be shit out of luck if they don't like it, because it's no longer theirs.

Nymphae

Banned
I can't imagine a product being used by a villain in a hit movie significantly negatively impacting the sales of an already popular product. The fact that they get to dictate this to the people that come to them to ask if they can make their movie cooler with this product's inclusion is proof of their cultural cache.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They absolutely shouldnt, and if the law says they can then the law should be changed.

Unless a company is paying for a product to be shown as part of their advertising, then whatever moviemaker bought it as part of their movies budget owns it and can do whatever the hell they want with it. It's their property afterall.

I mean I can accept not being able to tell out right lies about a product, but once anyone, be it an individual or a company buys something, they should be able to do whatever they hell they want with the thing they now own, and the manufacturer should be shit out of luck if they don't like it, because it's no longer theirs.

I don't actually agree that a studio can buy something and have the unlimited right to display it on TV or in a movie in whatever context they want without permission. But that's besides the point... Apple actually loans out these devices for use in movies. Movies aren't dropping thousands of dollars on iPhones and Macbooks for them to be shown for 15 seconds on screen. My guess is they hand them out for free, which strings attached.

Great Hair

Banned
In other words, they are spoiling us future movies. The person with an apple phone = is da good guy, so someone else has to be the bad guy cuz he or she has an android phone.

Thanks Apple!

Top Bottom