• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple exec quotes the movie ‘Arthur’ on TikTok, loses his job

ManaByte

Gold Member

When asked what he does for a living, Blevins said, "I have rich cars, play golf and fondle big-breasted women, but I take weekends and major holidays off." He also touted that he has a "hell of a dental plan." [...]

The TikTok video was taken at a car show that Blevins attended last month in Pebble Beach, California. His remarks in the 25-second clip reference a line from the 1981 movie Arthur, where main character Arthur Bach describes his own career: "I race cars, play tennis and fondle women, but I have weekends off and I am my own boss."

Guy quoted a 1981 movie on a viral TikTok, people get offended and run to HR, he gets fired.

Demolition Man was a prophetic documentary.

nocsi

He got let go because he disclosed he worked at Apple. The company is adverse to this type of social media presence. You can build up a brand or publicly disclose you work at apple, but not both.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He got let go because he disclosed he worked at Apple. The company is adverse to this type of social media presence. You can build up a brand or publicly disclose you work at apple, but not both.
He wasn’t building a brand and he didn’t say he worked at Apple. Read the article it wasn’t even his TikTok account. It’s a guy who asks people with expensive cars what they do for a living. He quoted Arthur and people at Apple recognized him and went crying to HR

nocsi

He wasn’t building a brand and he didn’t say he worked at Apple. Read the article it wasn’t even his TikTok account. It’s a guy who asks people with expensive cars what they do for a living. He quoted Arthur and people at Apple recognized him and went crying to HR
Ok yea I just read it. Tech is going through massive layoffs right now w/ the looming recession so it's bad optics for a VP to be caught saying stuff like that.

Crayon

fda3505d-17e9-4c5a-8da9-558a2ab52d78_text.gif

Lasha

Cancel culture is just a symptom. The complete lack of employment rights in the US that allows mega corps to dispose of people for any reason is the root cause. Feudal serfs at least had the security of being physically tied to the land which they worked.

anthony2690

Banned
This seems like a super strange reason to be fired, can he appeal/take them to tribunal? I'd like to think he would take apple to cleaners, imagine firing someone for innocently quoting a movie from the 80s. 🤷‍♂️

hemo memo

Gold Member
Normally I would be pissed at cancel culture but knowing how they got a humiliating and embarrassing and funny defeat going after Eminem calms me.

Cyberpunkd

Cancel culture is just a symptom. The complete lack of employment rights in the US that allows mega corps to dispose of people for any reason is the root cause. Feudal serfs at least had the security of being physically tied to the land which they worked.
Let’s not go crazy - France has 8-month trial period and employee protections make people also incredibly resistant about switching jobs. So you need to find the balance.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean he is an exec so he earns the big bucks but also is a company man 100% of the time he is in public.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not in public. I would get fired if I said that and tagged the company I work for. An exec it's like everything they say is #apple
Except he didn’t tag Apple. The only connection to Apple were the people who worked there and recognized him and then cried to HR that he sexually assaulted them with his movie quote.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I suppose in this day and when he was a bit of an idiot to post something like that, when he works for a company like Apple…. but yeah, fucking ridiculous to lose your job over it.

I'm an accelerationist. Fire more people for speaking on SM. Fire everyone. Ban any speech that isn't approved social messages of the day. No opinions should be allowed on SM at all. Censor everything.

Let's ram this to the conclusion of either Sm and the internet dying, or it becoming such a corporate approved, bland wasteland of thought that nobody gives a shit what's said on there.

K' Dash

Yeah, that’s why I dress like a hobo and drive a modest car, even though I make a good salary.
I want to be invisible to those fuckers, I’ve seen enough peers lose their jobs for posting shit on social media or liking/commenting shit.

Stay away from social media, there’s only benefits to that.

Top Bottom