• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are DVI users screwed next gen?

JoDark said:
This is such crap, and the fanboys want to say it's good. HDMI is freaking DRM BS, HDCP is there to stop you from copying in HD, so the reality is that if you get a PS3, and have only one HDMI/DVI input, where you likely have a cable box/sat box... then you are screwed out of watching the movies in HD. Thanks alot Hollywood.

Oh, there there's the fact that HDMI is a new format, so that most HDTV's bought before this year don't support it. Makes me feel happy that my ~10k HDTV , last years best RPHDTV from SONY, may not work for their HD movies... Thanks alot Sony.

Someone needs to come in and slap these idiots.

And btw, the best HD channels on Digital Cable look KILLER on this set, and identical as far as I can see in either component or DVI into this TV. 70" Grand Wega btw.

Last year's models had HDCP DVI ports. I have a 50" Grand Wega from last year and it's fine. Don't worry about it.

Raistlin

This is such crap, and the fanboys want to say it's good. HDMI is freaking DRM BS, HDCP is there to stop you from copying in HD, so the reality is that if you get a PS3, and have only one HDMI/DVI input, where you likely have a cable box/sat box... then you are screwed out of watching the movies in HD. Thanks alot Hollywood.

Boy, what did we ever do when our TVs only had one input of a particular kind, and we needed more? How about disconnecting one, and connecting the other? How about a selector box? This doesn't seem to be any different than other time a new connection type was introduced with only one on most TVs.

Oh, there there's the fact that HDMI is a new format, so that most HDTV's bought before this year don't support it. Makes me feel happy that my ~10k HDTV , last years best RPHDTV from SONY, may not work for their HD movies... Thanks alot Sony.

Someone needs to come in and slap these idiots.

Don't blame Sony, they aren't forcing this - the movie industry is. Yeah, they have a movie division, but it was a colletive decision they had no control over.

And btw, the best HD channels on Digital Cable look KILLER on this set, and identical as far as I can see in either component or DVI into this TV. 70" Grand Wega btw.

That's weird, but could be affected by many things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as I said, this HDCP is a fucked up knee-jerk reaction by the MPAA and studios to 'protect' their content.

all that will happen is that people with TVs more than a year old are fucked. Thats a lot of people that bought HD sets early - exactly the kinds of people you want to buy bluray etc.

And the pirates will still figure out a way to copy it, so the only people it will affect are us consumers.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Onix said:
That's weird, but could be affected by many things.

not really, component has more than enough bandwidth to carry that signal. People who make comments like this just don't understand the differences between ANALOG and DIGITAL transmission. It's quite likely (and in fact, very frequent) for people to say they get a better picture over component than over HDMI/DVI, due to the fact that their receiver does a better job decoding the digital image than their TV itself.

SoVos20

Banned
mrklaw said:
as I said, this HDCP is a fucked up knee-jerk reaction by the MPAA and studios to 'protect' their content.

all that will happen is that people with TVs more than a year old are fucked. Thats a lot of people that bought HD sets early - exactly the kinds of people you want to buy bluray etc.

And the pirates will still figure out a way to copy it, so the only people it will affect are us consumers.

HDCP is more than a year old. It is a few years old actually. It just wasn't common on TVs a few years ago but it was there. The Samsung DLP had it for a few years. It was just mostly found on more expensive DLP, LCD, and CRT rather than the lower priced ones a few years ago.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SoVos20 said:
HDCP is more than a year old. It is a few years old actually. It just wasn't common on TVs a few years ago but it was there. The Samsung DLP had it for a few years. It was just mostly found on more expensive DLP, LCD, and CRT rather than the lower priced ones a few years ago.

OK, thats even worse then. Whoever mandates this shit knew that the solution was on the market but not being purchased by consumers.

Fuckem. If Bluray isn't compatible with component output, I'll have my DVDs ripened by my PS3..

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm buying an HD set soon and am trying to decide between two practically identical Samsung sets - except for the the fact that one has HDMI and one has DVI (and is $70 cheaper). Regardless of the one I buy, I plan on using component to hook up my consoles and cable box for the time being. When PS3 comes out, whether or not it's completely compatible with component (for games and ALL movies) will dictate if I upgrade to HDMI connections (or a DVI>HDMI adapter, if I buy the other TV). I really don't see any need to use DVI/HDMI now, since the quality increase over component seems to be neglibible (unless you're using a 50ft component cable on a 60" TV).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
vatstep said:
I'm buying an HD set soon and am trying to decide between two practically identical Samsung sets - except for the the fact that one has HDMI and one has DVI (and is $70 cheaper). Regardless of the one I buy, I plan on using component to hook up my consoles and cable box for the time being. When PS3 comes out, whether or not it's completely compatible with component (for games and ALL movies) will dictate if I upgrade to HDMI connections (or a DVI>HDMI adapter, if I buy the other TV). I really don't see any need to use DVI/HDMI now, since the quality increase over component seems to be neglibible (unless you're using a 50ft component cable on a 60" TV).

If you don't have a HDCP compatible HDMI connector on your TV, you may be unable to watch bluray movies on your PS3. They may not work when using component at all. Up to you if thats worth betting $70 on.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
mrklaw said:
If you don't have a HDCP compatible HDMI connector on your TV, you may be unable to watch bluray movies on your PS3. They may not work when using component at all. Up to you if thats worth betting $70 on.
Well I know that on the set that uses DVI, it's HDCP-compatible (spec sheet specifically says "DVI-HDTV Interface with HDCP Copy Protection"). I'm just assuming that on any DVI>HDMI adapters (which I might need since the PS3 doesn't have DVI-out), the copy-protection scheme would carry through. Hopefully that's correct.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yes. DVI and HDMI are identical in all but pins (+HDMI has audio support). So HDCP would carry through to DVI

vatstep said:

I dunno, I think i can see a significant difference between DVI and Component in visual quality. Granted I'm comparing a PC being hooked up via DVI vs it being hooked up Component, but you get an additional sharpness and clarity from the DVI connection.

One more thing for all you kids talking about HDMI being so great. Correct me if I am wrong, but I could swear that HDMI only carries a STEREO signal. It is not a discrete signal that can be transferred to a 5.1 or higher solution for multichannel audio. So if you want the best audio you still need to run a separate audio cable.

Yusaku

BigGreenMat said:
Correct me if I am wrong

Ok

1. All-digital gives the highest quality available.
HDMI is the only interface in consumer electronics that can carry both uncompressed high-definition (HD) video and uncompressed multi-channel audio in all HD formats including 720p, 1080I and even upcoming 1080p. An all-digital, uncompressed signal translates into the highest quality video and audio, seen and heard, direct from the source.

SoVos20

Banned
mrklaw said:
OK, thats even worse then. Whoever mandates this shit knew that the solution was on the market but not being purchased by consumers.

Fuckem. If Bluray isn't compatible with component output, I'll have my DVDs ripened by my PS3..

2003 is when HDCP was actually introduce on any significant amount of TVs, if you bought your HD after 2003 and you didn't buy one with HDCP DVI port then that is your bad. You should have bought a TV with one. If you bought your TV before DVI HDCP really came to the market then sorry for you but it is time for a new TV.

teiresias

Supasso said:
Now that is the good reason to use HDMI audio. Uncompressed, multi-channel digital audio is nothing SPDIF can do.

I'm not sure that uncompressed really means uncompressed, I mean if the source you're watching doesn't have an uncompressed audio source and only provides DD or DTS (of the compressed variety) you'll get that digital stream. I'm not sure there's any problem sending uncompressed audio over SPDIF if that's the way it's encoded digitally, it's all just a digital serial stream in the end anyway.

Supasso

SPDIF does not have enough bandwidth to send uncompressed, multi-channel digital audio.

Don't forget that PC and game console's audio is uncompressed. Realtime DD encoding, like how Xbox does, needs dedicated hardware, and it degrades sound quality. All that trouble are just for the ability to use digital cable. Besides, there are also SACD, DVD-A, and next-gen multi-channel format. All of those are not SPDIF supported.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SoVos20 said:
2003 is when HDCP was actually introduce on any significant amount of TVs, if you bought your HD after 2003 and you didn't buy one with HDCP DVI port then that is your bad. You should have bought a TV with one. If you bought your TV before DVI HDCP really came to the market then sorry for you but it is time for a new TV.

I bought my TV in late 2003.

There were almost no TVs in the UK with HDCP, or at least not advertised as such. And there was no indication that HDCP would be needed for any future HD services - heck US HD services use standard component cables!

The fuckers here are the people mandating copyright restrictions on display devices that the vast majority of HD sets in homes do not have.

Top Bottom