• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony and Nintendo the last two major companies we can trust for day 1 releases?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We know we can't trust: EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Konami, 343, CDPR, Bethesda, Blizzard, and most major publishers, really. How many major companies left can we trust to deliver a relatively stable and complete day 1 experience? Sony and Nintendo did have a couple of stumbles such as Days Gone and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet but these are the exception and by and large, their games release relatively complete and polished. In Nintendo's case, the Switch is so woefully underpowered that you still get disasters like Bayonetta 3 but there's no real way to circumvent hardware limitations.

So, who can we trust among companies that release AAA games? Are Nintendo and Sony off the list too?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
hip hop rap GIF by WE tv

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not sure. They might have their launch issues too.

But I cannot wait for Spider-Man 2 to launch. Thats gonna be a fun time.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yes, multiple times. Street Fighter V was barely a game sold at full price. Same for Exoprimal.
Street Fighter V was 7 years ago and SFVI came out of the gate with flying colors (quite literally too lmao)

As for me.... Trust Japanese publishers. They seem to put out more reliable stuff than western devs these days. Well, besides some stragglers like square enix. You can get reasonably hyped that a game will live up to expectations. still don't be an idiot and preorder though. Never preorder jack shit.

Last edited:

digdug2

You really shouldn't trust anyone, even if it's a studio that you know and love. For me, that includes From Soft. I usually love their games! I bought AC6 day one... and yeah, it really isn't for me. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Pedro Motta

Trust no one obviously, but yes Sony and Nintendo have been the most consistent of the bunch, even with blunders like TLOU Pt1 on PC and Pokemon Arceus on Nintendo's side.

Capcom. Since the launch of RE7 they mostly released very polished games on launch/on disc. Only RE4 finally had some hiccups.

Also FROM Software games, under whomever they publish. Yeah, there might be several balancing patches down the line, but I consider those irrelevant for me.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
No. Just Nintendo and Miyazaki.

The quality of Capcom and Sony games is generally very high though.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nintendo is usually good once they lock in a specific release date, but they’re horrible about teasing games far in advance, only to leave us deserted for years afterwards.

cries in Metroid Prime 4

I would say it's more that some devs are more trustworthy than others. Both Nintendo and Sony have devs that are great but some of them have issues with their games at launch.

Days Gone and Sonys PC titles have issues day one. While with Nintendo it's those Pokemon games that usually have issues.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Don't blame the companies, blame shareholders, producers, and extremely impatient gamers.
If a game needs a patch, in my mind, even though it's already out, I just pretend it's not yet released and wait for updates.

It's so funny to see people get super mad about something they demanded to be rushed.
Developers are people too, not your gaming slave dogs.

They're all scummy businesses, why would anyone use the word "trust"? I only have a PS5 and don't buy shit Day 1 anymore.

It'll be patched and usually a tad cheaper a bit later.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I trust Sony for their console releases. PC releases? Not so much. Some have been good (R&C), some great (God of War, Spiderman) and some awful (TLoU1)

Actually, thinking about it, I strongly contest the notion of Nintendo being above the rest.

Singleplayer? They are fine. But multiplayer games? Just barren on day1. Mario Party, Switch Sports, Mario Strikers and so on all featured merely a fraction of the content of each predecessor game. Basic features and characters of old games now relegated to DLC weeks/months later. Each Splatoon sequel was nearly the same game until they released meaningful DLC.

Last edited:

Fredrik

They’re all bad, I get patches on all platforms, sometimes they add stuff half a year after release when I’m already done with the game. $70 to beta test is the norm.
Trust no one. Play games later whenever possible. Always go for PC version when possible, modders are faster to fix things than the devs, plus you get some nice bonuses like curvy ladies and VR modes and DLSS etc. Shader-stutter is the devil though, can slaughter an otherwise absurdly superior version.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Now THIS is textbook shitty console fanboy concern posting.

well done.

:goog_horns:
I game on PC. Don't own any of the three consoles except for a Switch that I lent several months ago after playing TOTK.

I know it's fun to assume everyone is a console fanboy but no, I don't have a preference for any of them.

Astral Dog

Of course not

Capcom is rad, a lot of people love FROM software as well, Square Enix and Platinum Games depending on the project still can release quality and cool games

I do not care about most western developers however, certainly not for day one

Mowcno

Sony on PC no...

Nintendo have a few bad apples too. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet and then there were the games like Mario Strikers on Switch that launched barebones with next to no content.

But in general they are both good at launching games on consoles that are in a decent state.

hinch7

Nah, I wouldn't. Current SiE and devs aren't as they were; see ND and SMS work, or lacktheroff. Most recently GoW: Ragnarok I found fairly dissapointing.. and thats coming from one of my top games of all time.

Nintendo games are high quality but not really my kind of thing anymore. Maybe current Capcom I have a lot of faith in, but they aren't infallable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom