• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are too many people too sensitive/emotional these days?

Are too many people too sensitive these days?

• Yes.

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I'm crying right now.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I have the emotional capacity of a rock.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I just squeezed my emotional support animal too hard, and now it's dead.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • EXTREMELY

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

Tams

I was just reading this article (yeah, yeah, I'm a Grauniad reader) and it reminded me that people seem to be overly emotional these days, especially regarding crying.

“I was devastated,” Barry said from her home near Chicago. “I cried all day and my kids were wondering what was wrong with mom."

Or the crying at a film or TV show coming to and end (yet it not being a sad ending).

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It seems like this stuff is getting polarized like everything else. Some act as if every inconvenience or minor issue is a catastrophe which can upset their entire existence. On the other side, some act as if being a callous, indifferent asshole toward those who struggle makes them somehow strong and virtuous. Just pull them bootstraps harder!

The reality is you need to always keep your struggles in perspective to stay hopeful and optimistic, while also having empathy for your fellow humans whose struggles you may not fully understand. Just be cool man

According to the article a stupid American women with children was crying over the Japanese entry restrictions 😂. One would think that’s the least of her responsibilities.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yes GIF by Brittany Broski

Crying is a response. Some people cry, others break stuff, others yell, others swear, others go to the gym, others jerk off. What's wrong with it?

Some people are more sensitive than others.

Wildebeest

I voted no. Let me put it this way. Deadening of emotions is a symptom of depression, stress, anxiety, social avoidance, and substance abuse. Do you think those things are on the decline in society?

Fbh

To an extent.

Though I think a big factor of why you perceive that isn't necessarily a big increase in sensitivity but rather a big increase in people just oversharing this stuff on social media.
20 years ago if you were crying because of something only those around you at the moment would be aware of it, now every other person will share it on social media for attention and sympathy points.

The Internet/social media also has a tendency to highlight the loudest and most radical voices, rather than the majority. So whiners are at the forefront at all times.

Star-Lord

I don’t really feel any emotions any more. I used to, don’t get me wrong, but then I stopped caring about people and, as a result, stopped feeling. It’s not exactly a healthy way to live, but it works for me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I literally just did some training that said if a person doesn't get an invitation to outside work social meet-ups that it should be reported
As it's a sign of discrimination.

Yeah people are too sensitive

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I literally just did some training that said if a person doesn't get an invitation to outside work social meet-ups that it should be reported

but what if that person is a massive cunt?

thefool

No, I don't think so. I think people worry about different things now and express (publicly) going through those feelings more. Everyone can be heard/read today, like this lady from the article.

Its more of a matter of awareness.

thefool

I think this is slightly different. I see it as people learning how to take advantage of certain societal rules.

Last edited:

Outlier

Don't think so. The emotional people are just realizing the vast platform from which they can spew their attention seeking nonsense, onto the masses.

For example when I see someone putting up a video talking about how they're getting gender reassignment surgery to accommodate 1 of their 31 people in their head I'm like "No sweety. You're either an attention whore or a schizophrenic attention whore. Either way you're an attention whore."

Seriously, vaguely displaying your interpersonal issues for the world to see doesn't help you.

Get real help.

Outlier

Broadly, yes, especially the western world. We have so many comforts and many of us have not experienced true hardship. It’s to be expected that wed get too soft.
These day I think they a purposely trying to create hardships to give themselves reasons to keep existing.

The problem is they want to drag everyone else, with them.

Outlier

I think I just realized that I practice stoicism, everyday at work. More so these days, than in my past. Used mostly as a survival technic to minimize the effects of repetitive social situations, with co-workers.

There only so much I'm willing to care about someone else frequent legal, relationship, drug use problems before I just go cold in response to them.

I mean, I got work to do and you're not helping by regularly making passive comments towards me about your problems, bro.

BigBooper

Yes, or at least too much in public. Some things shouldn't be shared. Bottle up those emotions and get a grip.

People saying that's not healthy. That people need to be able to share their feelings... We share more than ever before, and suicide rates are going up. Where's the disconnect?

Outlier

I think that kind of rule/suggestion/pressuring is discrimination. If in the USA, it's most likely illegal, too.

Companies can't obligate employees (hourly) to socialize in any way, outside of work hours.

10 years ago (previous job) I got talked to my manager and supervisor, because a couple of my co-workers complained that I didn't socialize, with them. Mind you these were all women. Ladies, I'm gay and only idle chat with select people and the job doesn't require anymore of me to complete my tasks.

Never working in hospitality, ever again.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Its a pyramid of drama and sensitivity.

Base: Americans are generally often hysterical drama queens
Mid: People on the internet are Snowflakes very often
Top: Woke morons

Outlier

Yes, or at least too much in public. Some things shouldn't be shared. Bottle up those emotions and get a grip.

People saying that's not healthy. That people need to be able to share their feelings... We share more than ever before, and suicide rates are going up. Where's the disconnect?
I think talking about our problems is healthy... with people who actually care to talk them. This is what friends and professionals are for.

I SPECULATE that suicides/personal struggles may be up as a result that people believe there is no solution, probably connected to the fact that we share to so many people and then see how many don't really care about our individual problems.

Could be their need to feel special or be nothing, at all.

WoJ

Yes. I am a large advocate for mental health and wellness and believe that people should talk more about their feelings. But that's not really what we do. People feign outrage and in most cases have little to no knowledge about what they are outraged about. They claim to be expressing themselves but what they are doing is more akin to throwing a tantrum.

The last two years has shown me most people are immature babies who aren't capable of dealing with feelings even tho they think they are.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think that kind of rule/suggestion/pressuring is discrimination. If in the USA, it's most likely illegal, too.

Companies can't obligate employees (hourly) to socialize in any way, outside of work hours.

10 years ago (previous job) I got talked to my manager and supervisor, because a couple of my co-workers complained that I didn't socialize, with them. Mind you these were all women. Ladies, I'm gay and only idle chat with select people and the job doesn't require anymore of me to complete my tasks.

Never working in hospitality, ever again.
Funny enough the introduction video was American 😂

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Movies and tv shows are set up to get emotion out of people they aren’t actually emotional they’re just equipped with emotions to follow those shows.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Yes people are definitely more emotional these days, the internet has definitely helped out. Where else would the purple-haired nose ring yard whale be able to complain or have a voice? But the same goes for the chuds who get emotional about being a decent person.

GeekyDad

About two years ago, after having focal onset aware seizures for about eight to 10 months, it was discovered that I had a tumor about the size of a plum or small apple in my brain -- the left frontal lobe. It was explained to me it was cancerous and the cause of these seizures. It's been about a year and a half now since the radiation treatment was complete, and about six to eight months since the chemotherapy was complete. I believe, due to the swelling after radiation treatment, I began to cry just from...well, nothing, really. I went back to work, continue to take my various seizure medications everyday, and though my seizures are less frequent and I'm less prone to crying for no reason, if I speak of or am exposed to anything emotional -- joyful or sad, etc. -- I cry easily.

I bring this up because the neurological oncologist told me only radiation can cause brain cancer. Why would I have it then? Cellular usage, microwave ovens, and all the rest is in such a high state of use, and we've now moved into the 5G era. I don't know anything about all that stuff, really, but it sure makes me wonder, especially since we're just rushing into the use of things we barely understand, throwing caution to the wind.

Nature is doing its thing, perhaps.

Wildebeest

I bring this up because the neurological oncologist told me only radiation can cause brain cancer. Why would I have it then? Cellular usage, microwave ovens, and all the rest is in such a high state of use, and we've now moved into the 5G era. I don't know anything about all that stuff, really, but it sure makes me wonder, especially since we're just rushing into the use of things we barely understand, throwing caution to the wind.
Microwave ovens and wireless signals are non-ionizing radiation, which is a less destructive type. Outside of getting a medical X-Ray the sources of ionizing radiation you could be exposed to are invisible and hard to track. There could be radioactive gas leaking from the earth or something in the diet. If you fly a lot, then you could be exposed to more ionizing radiation at higher altitudes.

Amory

I don't think it's a sensitivity issue. I think it's more entitlement and the selfish desire for attention.

If no one gave a shit when people moaned and cried about every little thing, no one would do it. Or at least they'd do it in private.

GeekyDad

Microwave ovens and wireless signals are non-ionizing radiation, which is a less destructive type. Outside of getting a medical X-Ray the sources of ionizing radiation you could be exposed to are invisible and hard to track. There could be radioactive gas leaking from the earth or something in the diet. If you fly a lot, then you could be exposed to more ionizing radiation at higher altitudes.
Yeah. Honestly, not sure, and I don't even really use my phone as an actual phone much -- not for years. I don't even really text all that often. I use it as an itinerary and alarm clock mostly and for emergency calls from my wife and children. My diet has been pretty healthy for years, although a quarter cup of walnuts had been a regular part of my daily diet for years as well. But I only added those because I thought they were healthy for the brain.

But I truly do wonder if the exponential increase in tech and the energies required to use them aren't causing an alarming increase in these types of illnesses and emotional states. And as others have stated, the easing into utilizing the types of communications -- like what we're doing now -- we've now become accustomed to may be facilitating these things, a downward spiral so to speak. Being with each other in person is now probably more of a shock to the system than it previous was.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Yeah. Honestly, not sure, and I don't even really use my phone as an actual phone much -- not for years. I don't even really text all that often. I use it as an itinerary and alarm clock mostly and for emergency calls from my wife and children. My diet has been pretty healthy for years, although a quarter cup of walnuts had been a regular part of my daily diet for years as well. But I only added those because I thought they were healthy for the brain.

But I truly do wonder if the exponential increase in tech and the energies required to use them aren't causing an alarming increase in these types of illnesses and emotional states. And as others have stated, the easing into utilizing the types of communications -- like what we're doing now -- we've now become accustomed to may be facilitating these things, a downward spiral so to speak. Being with each other in person is now probably more of a shock to the system than it previous was.
The foods associated with ionizing radiation are not ones you normally say are unhealthy. Things like Brazil nuts and Bananas being mentioned as providing a bigger dose. Some places to live are just expose you to more radiation than others. I think in Utah there are just radioactive rocks just lying around everywhere, and it isn't like anyone is going to clean them up. I don't know what to say about people saying the "energies" used in tech being unusually dangerous to humans in unknown ways. There are enough things that we know are dangerous which get ignored before we start worrying about things that are almost certainly not a problem. The power levels used in 5G transmission are particularly low, for example.

HoodWinked

alot of sensitivity comes from the more feminism side of the spectrum.

the situation is fucked, men are being destroyed from so many angles.

firstly our hormones are being fucked with the phthalates in plastics are reducing testosterone, but also BPAs are a low grade synthetic estrogen, so its an amplifying affect. Then we also have a sizable portion of the population on birth control so that eventually gets excreted into the water table which eventually makes it into the water supply.

then we have society telling us that masculinity is bad while overtly pushing feminisms and misandry.

so the goal to turn everyone into women this is the natural outcome.

lillars

Yes. People need to learn to have thicker skin. Victimhood mentality has dominated thanks to social media. I keep wondering when folks will say, "so what?".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt. Most people don't care, but that extreme side of social media whores and people at the office who mandate diversity training over trying to make some money for the company so everyone can keep their job is increasing.

On the plus side, I've never had so many laughs at people's expense on the net. You never got this before in the 2000s when the big leap in social media hadnt happened yet. At that time, the funnies came from anonymous message board banter like people cursing at each other on Yahoo Finance stock boards (zero moderation at the time).

Now, it's people acting like jackasses on their own social media accounts (including name, picture and sometimes even workplace!). So you can now put a face to the idiocy.

And then what happens is some get ultra depressed or commit suicide because they are now known, or cant take it that 100s of people say they suck on their YT channel.

Tip for all. Get off social media if you cant handle it.

Last edited:

Tams

I voted no. Let me put it this way. Deadening of emotions is a symptom of depression, stress, anxiety, social avoidance, and substance abuse. Do you think those things are on the decline in society?
I didn't say that though.

And in my example, a grown woman was crying, in front of her kids, just because she couldn't go to Japan to try and expand her business. During a pandemic.

Tell me, is that not extreme self-pity and selfishness?

Wildebeest

And in my example, a grown woman was crying, in front of her kids, just because she couldn't go to Japan to try and expand her business. During a pandemic.
Ever hear of this thing called sports where people get really emotional over things that mean even less to them practically.

While I voted yes, I also want to say that people are too sensitive about shit that doesn't matter. I openly bawled when my dog died in my arms a few years ago, and didn't stop until a while after I buried her in the back yard. Shit, I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it.

Getting emotional over real loss and pain doesn't mean you're weak, it just means you're human.

Top Bottom