• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we going ignore that Sony are charging for next gen enhancements for ps-4 games?

Boss Mog

didn't Microsoft upgrade some games on xbox one x from 360 for free?
I have a lot of last gen remasters and none of them were free. Off the top of my head: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Dishonored, DmC, DMC4SE, Metro 1+2, i'm sure there's more. This isn't the same as a game that releasing at the same time on both system for close to the same price. I could pick up Spider-man used for 10 bucks, and that should entitle me to the next gen remaster? Yeah, no. They put in work to update the assets and add RT, they need to get paid for that, you can play your PS4 version on PS5 for free if you don't want to pay for it.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

So it's 20 bucks, standalone however I don't know.

If it's 20 bucks then that "free upgrade" mentioned in that tweet is not so free.

Either way I'll pass on this and MM, spiderman 2018 wasn't even that amazing of a game. Fun? yes. Worth replaying? nah. Like most of Sony first party games.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I have a lot of last gen remasters and none of them were free. Off the top of my head: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Dishonored, DmC, DMC4SE, Metro 1+2, i'm sure there's more. This isn't the same as a game that releasing at the same time on both system for close to the same price. I could pick up Spider-man used for 10 bucks, and that should entitle me to the next gen remaster? Yeah, no.

But arent games like Gears and Ori getting free upgrades with Series X?

McCheese

I'd love to see your proposed business model.

They are selling the hardware at a loss, and you want the thousands of dev hours put into "next-genning" their first party games to be given away too?

Great idea, let's just donate to the Sony patreon account to keep them afloat. Maybe mark Cerny can start an ASMR onlyfans

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm kind of defending and i'm no Sony warrior. Like i said earlier, it depends how much work has gone into the update, and that should reflect in whether the update is free, or you pay for it.
Its also being added in a special edition of MM, and thats happened before in special editions (the COD4 remaster a prime example).

All cross gen updates wont be free on Xbox either, but if all Xbox first party games will be getting free updates, then yes it would of been a good move for Sony to do the same with first party updates, at least from a PR standpoint.
Going off Spiderman MM its not going to be a massive upgrade over PS4 Pro fromwhat i have seen. 60fps option will be nice.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
People want new content for free and for get multiple people had to work on it during a pandemic. Sony has to pay these people for their work so in return you want Sony to give you the content for free.. Ok I see how you want things to work 😉😊😏🙃

bender

What time is it?
If it's 20 bucks then that "free upgrade" mentioned in that tweet is not so free.

Either way I'll pass on this and MM, spiderman 2018 wasn't even that amazing of a game. Fun? yes. Worth replaying? nah. Like most of Sony first party games.

Miles Morales bought on PS4 gets a free upgrade to PS5 version. Spider Man PS4 seemingly does not but is included in Miles Morales Digital Deluxe which is $20 more. It's a little confusing.

I guess I'd be okay with a small upgrade fee for enhanced versions but anything outside of $5 or $10 would probably have me pass or wait for a sale. I can't imagine playing the game again to completion and that goes for most titles.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Is it just a framerate/resolution patch or are they reworking assets and lighting, adding RT, etc?

Will sony implement just framerate and resolution patch for free? Like Cerny mentioned boost mode?

I thought the whole point of boost mode was to play the top 100 games at better speed and resolution faster loading etc.

Boss Mog

Will sony implement just framerate and resolution patch for free? Like Cerny mentioned boost mode?

I thought the whole point of boost mode was to play the top 100 games at better speed and resolution faster loading etc.
Sadly they haven't said anything about patches which is really disappointing. Resolution could potentially be done without a patch though it may throw off some stuff like the UI. PS4 games that have an unlocked framerate will be able to boost to 60fps+ with the PS5 Boost mode without a patch, but if the game was locked to 30fps then a patch will be needed to uncap it.

As a gamer what is better though a large portion of your games to be enhanced for free (as it's done on PC and with rival companies) or done on a per game basis to the detriment of your wallet.

It might still be worth it to you but you shouldn't champion it as some acceptable thing. Don't give them a pass so easy, their marketing was misleading.

Where did Sony say that you would get free enhancements?

Keihart

I said this was always going to be the case, and it probably is for most developers. Wait for it in Xbox too.
Smart delivery doesn't magically gives free dev time, games with extra dev time are gonna be sold expensier...unless you are good guy CDproject

Calverz

Where did Sony say that you would get free enhancements?
Very true. I think people assume just because microsoft are doing that sony should. I dont necessarily disagree with them.
I think people need to realise we have had arrogant sony for a while now.

Keihart

Mark Cerny "The top 100 games by playtime are been tested and enhanced" if there was a financial cost wouldn't it of been relevant to say it? Choosing to omit it when people would rightly assume it would be free like it is on the PC and Xbox.
getting your facts crossed here, a game running emulated it's not the same as those games with a next gen version.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
would be nice for all remasters to be free, which is basically the OP's wish. then you could just buy the game once and every time a new console comes out no need to buy remasters, cos it is free!

yeah what a wonderful fantasyland that would be

Kokoloko85

getting your facts crossed here, a game running emulated it's not the same as those games with a next gen version.

Yeah but have they said anything more on the boost mode? Ill be happy with free framerate and resolution update Like XBox Series X is doing for games like Gears and Ori etc.

Charging for next gen assets like RT, Textures Is understandable. But I want some more info on what boost mode does for games

web3x

My question is
Does Microsoft's pro-consumer business model make Sony's business model "anti-consumer"?

I get that Microsoft, with their smart upgrade model is great, but clearly there has to be a line.

Hostile_18

Banned

Witcher 3 is adding in Ray Tracing, Borderlands 3 more split screen options etc. You don't make users buy the game again to get "ultra" textures etc.

If there was some new content I'd be more inclined to agree I.e Persona Royal. I don't see anything that justifies having to buy the game again.

Keihart

Witcher 3 is adding in Ray Tracing, Borderlands 3 more split screen options etc. You don't make users buy the game again to get "ultra" textures etc.

If there was some new content I'd be more inclined to agree I.e Persona Royal. I don't see anything that justifies having to buy the game again.
You actually do unless you have something else to charge for. I bet there is some new DLC for bordelands to sell you.
CDproject are the good guys of devs/publishers since ever, i wouldn't count them as the standard.

Greeno

Is it just a framerate/resolution patch or are they reworking assets and lighting, adding RT, etc?
I don't know about Ori, but Gears 5 is getting many visual upgrades in addition to the framerate/resolution increase. A 50% increase in effect visuals over the ultra-settings PC version.

Last edited:

Rockman33

It’s just disappointing to see this with 1st party games. Take a page out of Xbox’s playbook. I mean they were upgrading original Xbox games for Xbox one X for free! This game is only 2 years old.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sony's whole stance since yesterday.

giphy.gif

makaveli60

Why do I remember Sony promising free PS5 upgrades for their exclusives? I'm not stating it, but this is how I remember.

I paid 30 for the complete edition on PS4. I probably will wait on some kind of sale for MM base game. I don't see why I need to pay for a next gen upgrade if I can just play my current version in boost mode.

70 for the complete edition with GOTY remaster + MM is pretty good for new users imo. Will be even better when it's discounted further.

Or just don't buy it.

Illo

On one hand, they still offer you backwards compatibility to play the PS4 graphical version of the game.

On the other, a lot of work for games designed to be played on PS5 and PS4 at PS5's launch will be requesting more money (assumingly because PS5 games will be $70 and PS4 will be the regular $10. So my guess it's a $10 upgrade. Cheaper games depending). At that end, the work is done for both games and the cost is greater for fancier graphics on the newer console, while older console players have less prettier. So essentially because more work was put into the PS5 those adopters pay more for the work done.

It sounds to me they using solution based selling of a problem they created. They should be using the notion of free graphically enhanced PS4 games as a selling point to PS5 owners like Xbox did with their backwards compatible enhanced titles.

At the end of it all, just because some companies offer the upgrade for free and Sony won't, isn't a justification as to why Sony or other companies should offer it for free. Its still ultimately better then repurchasing a graphically enhanced port at full price years after its release. Which, at least to me, depending on the title and work done, is the real anti-consumer move.

Not that I necessarily condone this, but:

There is a difference between a "boost mode" and completely retooling the engine for newer hardware.
I.e, the PS4 and PS5 version of Miles Morales are different games.

Kokoloko85

Why do I remember Sony promising free PS5 upgrades for their exclusives? I'm not stating it, but this is how I remember.

Boost mode, Cerny.
I guess new textures and RT wasn’t promised for free, which is understandable but upgrading Resolution, FPS and faster loading has to be free...

Jacknapes

Least it's not 505, basically getting you to buy Control and it's DLC again via the Ultimate Edition just to get the next gen version

I'm taking a guess Sony will offer an upgrade to existing Spider-Man owners via a small cost at some point.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
People want new content for free and for get multiple people had to work on it during a pandemic. Sony has to pay these people for their work so in return you want Sony to give you the content for free.. Ok I see how you want things to work 😉😊😏🙃

Lol gamers spend hundreds on their Fortnite microtransactions and Twitch ecelebs. But can't give money to evil Sony!

"We" aren't doing anything. They can charge whatever they want, for whatever they worked on, the same way Square Enix threw an extra 10 bucks on a number of their games on DS/3DS. Same way Namco charged for frame data in Tekken this generation. If it's not worth it to you, keep your money in your pocket. It's really that simple.

You aren't obligated to buy anything.

Top Bottom