• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you going to play elden ring along with the community or will you separate from all external info for your first playthrough?

How will you play through elden ring?

• Along with the community, discovery by discovery

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • Media blackout for the first playthrough

Votes: 55 39.3%
  • Play solo until I get stuck and then check the community's discoveries

Votes: 56 40.0%

• Total voters
Will you go along with each new discovery by the community or will you try to play completely on your own, disconnecting from everything else?

FromSoft games have a community aspect on launch that I believe is unique in gaming. How will you engage with it?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Definitely blackout from now and going into the game, I've seen everything I need to and pre-ordered.

I may play online from time to time, but I tend to play solo until I'm competent enough to not disappoint anyone who summons me. I'll put my summon sign down for bosses after I beat them.

Maybe I'll buck my trend and throw my sign down anywhere and see what happens. Might lead to some interesting moments.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

I'll play it alone, like I always do with Souls games, I'll join the community after I beat the game.

Pizza Yes GIF

Mr Hyde

Going in the game completely blind. Haven't watched a single snippet of gameplay, nor have I read anything about it ( features, mechanics and so on). I will not look up anything online until at least NG++. However I will play online and engage in the community and different ways to play if that's the case (co-op, messages and such).

The only time I had a chance to do this was Bloodborne. Going solo was fucking frightening, that game kicked my fucking ass for a 1st timer on Soulslikes but was so rewarding.

I’m doing a dif option. Will only convene with my friends and what they have found

Bartski

Gold Member
uhh... You seem to be conflating two completely separate things here and the OP doesn't make sense.
Of course, I'll be playing online, invading and getting summoned as much as I can. But if by "along with the community" you mean looking everything up on wiki and reddit - that's just ridiculous.
I don't see myself having much time to go on the internet at all till at least NG++.

As is my tradition my first run of every new souls game is a strict no summons, no magic rule. Apart from invades and reading soap stone messages because they can be quite funny. I'll also help people stuck on bosses that I've previously beaten for quick souls gains.

On NG+ I start messing around with pure magic builds and I don't mind messing about with summons. When I get to my third run that's when I start messing about with build crafting and use stat tables and community builds from fextralife. With Bloodbourne I have around 400 hours largely because of build crafting and I'll usually end up with maybe 2 pvp builds, a few invade builds and then solo Pve builds in my souls games. Not to mention the true end game, Fashion Souls!

I'll be doing exactly the same with Elden Ring and I welcome the game kicking my ass the first time through.

Last edited:

BreakOut

I will mainly play with friends that I’m close with, discovering as we go but sticking together. I don’t want a random, but I really wanna play with friends.

Bakkus

Whenever I do play it, it's gotta be with video guide and finding the best weapons. Because these games are not fun at all imo if you're just using the shitty weapons you find in chests and from regular enemies. Unless you are really lucky with item drops on the stronger enemies.

Mostly by myself. I found in previous games I needed help mostly because of lag and stuttering against bosses but I soloed Demons Souls and am on 4x NG and I do fine myself.

Whenever I do play it, it's gotta be with video guide and finding the best weapons. Because these games are not fun at all imo if you're just using the shitty weapons you find in chests and from regular enemies. Unless you are really lucky with item drops on the stronger enemies.
The Diablo thread is over there----->

wtf are you talking about

I won't coop at all my first playthrough. I might look up a weapon location or two though. Hoping that Wikidot comes back as the main wiki, Fextralife is fucking awful and routinely spoils boss info, including final boss info, on unrelated pages.

Last edited:

Juza

Like any Souls games... Always solo blind! fuck the secrets, invisible walls, shortcuts.. etc I know I'm going to spend hundreds of hours on the game, why in the hell should I discover everything in the first playthrough?

The most amazing element in Souls games is the MYSTERY, if it gone, you will lose that sense of tension, the fear of the unknown, the motivation to explore! you simply ruin your experience.

Pro tip: stay away from the community

If it holds its release date with HFW i don’t think I’m gonna go in blind, cause I won’t play it day 1. If one gets delayed I’ll be locking myself in a dark damp basement lit only by a single oil lamp and playing until i cannot keep my eyes open.

Barakov

Gold Member
Will you go along with each new discovery by the community or will you try to play completely on your own, disconnecting from everything else?

FromSoft games have a community aspect on launch that I believe is unique in gaming. How will you engage with it?
Along with the community. The final great videogame at least deserves that.

Kssio_Aug

I will not go on a media blackout for it. But I do intend to play on my own pace and discover thing as much as possible on my own too. But since my free time to play is short, I don't intend either to waste it reading/watching guides unnecessarily, nor insisting on finding something on my own for far too long if I get stuck somewhere.

Dark Souls have no good weapons which can be found easily without guide, or lucky item drops.
In Dark Souls fancy weapons not always are the best weapons. Longsword in Dark Souls 3, for example, is considered one of the best weapons in the game.

It's really not a hard game to play without a guide if you don't intend to go for the secrets, specially with the notes people let on the ground with some tips here and there.

But I mean it mostly for main-quests... some side-quests are simply insane to do without a guide.

Last edited:
The community? What is the community but a thatched barn where full havels drink in the reek, and their pyros roll on the floor among the dogs?

I will not go on a media blackout for it. But I do intend to play on my own pace and discover thing as much as possible on my own too. But since my free time to play is short, I don't intend either to waste it reading/watching guides unnecessarily, nor insisting on finding something on my own for far too long if I get stuck somewhere.

In Dark Souls fancy weapons not always are the best weapons. Longsword in Dark Souls 3, for example, is considered one of the best weapons in the game.

It's really not a hard game to play without a guide if you don't intend to go for the secrets, specially with the notes people let on the ground with some tips here and there.

But I mean it mostly for main-quests... some side-quests are simply insane to do without a guide.

Yeah, I don’t agree with the weapons thing but a guide is pretty much mandatory in dark souls if you want to do sidequest.

Does anyone ever play these games without any online discussion? It seems like a lot of stuff is impossible to discover on your own, and was made to be found through collaboration and chance.

Top Bottom