• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with exclusives this gen? (not including the Switch)

Are you happy with exclusives this gen? (not including the Switch)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Borowski_1

To put it in context, the same period(roughly) of the previous gen had: Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Until Dawn, The Order, inFamous SS, Quantum Break, Gears 4, Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive

Were you expecting a bigger jump in graphical fidelity, overall quality or innovation?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If you include the Switch then yes.

If the Switch is not included then no. Majority of exclusives from Xbox/Playstation eventually came to PC. So not so much exclusives after all. Timed exclusives are not exclusives at all.

Mr Hyde

As a PS5 owner I would say no. The gen started off amazing, with Demon's Souls, Returnal, Rift Apart, Horizon FW and God of War Ragnarok (although I felt Ragnarok was a disappointment). The latter half though, have been rather dry. I have no interest in Spiderman 2, and Sonys focus on GaaS I feel is making their first party single player games taking a backseat. FF7 Rebirth and Stellar Blade looks very good so that's comfort at least. I'm also very disappointed in Sony for not doing anything with the Bloodborne IP (remaster, greenlighting a sequel etc).

I am happy with the PS5 though. It's Sonys best console to date. It's very well engineered, it's silent, has transformed my entire PS4 library into excellence, love the Dualsense and the amazing third party support. But I'm not gonna lie, Sony is starting to lose my interest, and over the past years I've been looking more into PC (and Xbox) and Nintendo to broaden my gaming. Sony's effort to transform Playstation into a premium brand with ridiculous pricing isn't sitting well with me. It's not that I'm cheap, I have no problems paying for my gaming, but Sony is charging way too hefty prices for what is offered in my opinion. They have become greedy and way too dominant in the industry.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider-Man Logo GIF by PlayStation
Gamer Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Gran Turismo Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Video Games Dancing GIF by PlayStation
I Love You Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Horizon Zero Dawn Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Hey You Good Job GIF by PlayStation

Fbh

On Ps5 they've been good but not great.
I enjoyed Ratched, Returnal, Demon Souls, FFXVI , Gow Ragnarok and Forbidden West but none of them really blew me away, they are solid games but nothing I'd call a "must play". Nice production values but ultimately a lot of samey sequels and a lack of new IP (Returnal being the one outlier) has made this gen underwhelming so far in terms of exclusives.

Looking at the future I'm more excited about the "second party" exclusives and third party timed exclusives on Ps5 than anything by Sony first party studios: FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, Death Stranding 2

Last edited:
Yes, very happy with my PS5 exclusives from Demon's Souls to Returnal, Ragnarok to Rift Apart, GT7 to FFXVI, Spider-Man 2 to Horizon Forbidden West, PlayStation continues to deliver the goods. Helldivers 2 has just taken the world by storm, FFVII Rebirth arrives next week followed by Rise of the Ronin and then Stellar Blade. Death Stranding 2 is already looking like my GOTY 2025 and we still have lots of surprises from the likes of Bend, ND, SSM, SuckerPunch, Bluepoint, Housemarque, Media Molecule and more to look forward to.

I think some are confusing communication with results, gone are the days of super hype events with megaton after megaton reveals, it's a different time but ultimately we're still getting the goods and that's all that really matters. Nintendo fans should be super satisfied with what the big N has delivered too and... we'll stop right there lol.

MiguelItUp

Personally, not really. A lot of them didn't really do much for me, so I didn't buy them. Or I played them and they were honestly pretty forgettable. Demon's Souls was easily my favorite release on PS5 hands down. Runner up was probably Astro.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nah, this generation kind of sucks. I’ve never felt less need to own an Xbox or PlayStation. Only reason I haven’t sold PS5 yet is because my kids use it for Roblox and Hogwarts Legacy, and I use it for 4K Blu Ray and occasionally Gran Turismo (which I haven’t played since the summer).

I honestly couldn’t care less about Sony’s AAA cinematic blockbuster crap. My most hyped game of the generation was FF XVI and I hated it.

I could stick with PC + Switch and not feel like I’m missing out on anything.

jm89

The PS exclusives i've played have been great.

But really dissapointed with the lack of new IPs.

But that's not just a sony issue, seems like alot of the gaming industry just aren't willing to take risks like they did during the ps3/360 gen.

Reactions: Isa

Kokoloko85

They’ve been great but not enough especially not from PS studios.
Too my cross gen too. Need alot more, need more new ips and need them more often.
3-4 a year from PS studios and then some 3rd party exclusives, last year there was only 1. This year there isnt anything from PS studios confirmed yet

Roberts

Can’t really speak for Nintendo as I don’t have Switch but it looks like fans are eating goooood.

Sony output has been OK but not enough for me to be super excited so I got rid of my console until pro comes out and more games drop. That said, Pacific Drive looks great and I’m curious about Helldivers 2 even though that surface Starship Troopers (a film I love so much) shtick does’t appeal to me. Gameplay looks great, though.

I loved Grounded, FH5, Hivebusters, Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves add-ons as well as Starfield but most of them can hardly be called exclusives anymore.

Anyway, I’m just here for the games I love, exclusive or not.

Gojiira

Generally yes, Elden Ring,Demons Souls,Rift Apart,Returnal,Final Fantasy 7 and 16,Helldivers 2, GoW Ragnarok,Spiderman 2,and just in the next few weeks we have Final Fantasy 7 R,Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade soon after..I cba listing everything Im sure theres more, but there has been a slew of good exclusives and just overall good games…BUT its games like Dragons Dogma 2 and Monster Hunter Wilds and Death Stranding 2 that will make this gen for me either a success or a dud, they all look ambitious and push gameplay and systems. I wish there were more games doing something different.

Topher

Gold Member
Can’t really speak for Nintendo as I don’t have Switch but it looks like fans are eating goooood.

Sony output has been OK but not enough for me to be super excited so I got rid of my console until pro comes out and more games drop. That said, Pacific Drive looks great and I’m curious about Helldivers 2 even though that surface Starship Troopers (a film I love so much) shtick does’t appeal to me. Gameplay looks great, though.

I loved Grounded, FH5, Hivebusters, Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves add-ons as well as Starfield but most of them can hardly be called exclusives anymore.

Anyway, I’m just here for the games I love, exclusive or not.

I think it is probably best if folks stop getting hung up on the "exclusive" moniker. At this point, if a game is a true exclusive then more than likely it is timed.

Damigos

Super yes for PS. Demons Souls, Horizon, God of War Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, Gran Turismo 7, FF16 and FF7R, Astros playroom (yes) and many others were awesome.
Also stellar blade, ronin and death stranding 2 look very interesting.
On xbox side not so much. I personally only enjoyed Forza Horizon 5 (maybe too much). Had really high hopes for FM, battletoads and H infinite but was disappointed. Also disapointed from Redfall

Killjoy-NL

I'm content with what I've played so far.

- Horizon Forbidden West
- God of War: Ragnarok
- Helldivers 2
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- Stray
- MW2
- MW3

I suppose Wayfinder is fun, but it's in Early Access, so it doesn't really count.

FF XVI was meh. Can't get into it.
Always have FF XIV as well.

Don't care as much as far as exclusives go, I just want games I enjoy.

Edit:

There's also Ratchet and Clank and GT7, but those I only bought to check out the graphics mostly.
Haven't even played much of Ratchet.

PSVR2 as well, with NMS next-gen update and Pavlov.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Absolutely!! I love all of these:

Starfield
Halo
Forza Horizon/ Motorsport
Age of Empires
Flight Sim
Horizon
God of War
Returnal
Ghost of Tsushima
Spiderman MM/2
Death Stranding DC

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Not really. I've had tons of great games to play but most of them have been multiplats. Last year REmake 4 and Alan Wake II were my top games and neither was an exclusive. With the new Xbox strategy and Sony releasing more and more on PC it seems exclusives are about to be even rarer.

Nah. If we aren’t counting Switch, then third parties have been saving gaming this gen. MS and Sony have both been doing mostly jack shit. The best games from both imho aren’t even exclusives. That’s a given for MS, but the best Sony games this gen have been Returnal and Helldivers and those are both on PC.

If you just mean console exclusives, it gets a little better for both but were over three years into the gen and there’s been hardly any new IPs especially from Sony.

Kings Field

The only one that I loved was Demons Souls remake. It was a dream come true.

Helldivers 2 is amazing but I don’t think that classifies as an exclusive.

GOW and returnal were decent.

SScorpio

Sony's games have been good if you are into them. But as exclusives for this gen? No, most of them are cross-gen games that run on an over ten-year-old PS4 which had an underpowered CPU back when it was released.

The Steam Deck is around the graphical power of a base PS4, and it can do R&C Rift in Time showing it was storage access and not processing that kept it off the PS4. So no, this gen has just been a big disappointment not showing the need for the new consoles.

The messaging and a slight retail change could have fixed this. With many Sony games buying the digital PS5 version will also give you the PS4 version of the game. And on Xbox buy the disk and it will install the One or Series version of the game based on the console being used. So if Sony did the same for retail where there was just one version of the game, then you'd just have PlayStation or Xbox games you put into your console and always play the best version. Sure there would be games that require the newest hardware, but then you are buying into an ecosystem that you'll stick with going forward because all your existing games will move forward with you.

MarkMe2525

I have had to resort to revamping my retro console situation and investing in a Quest 3 so I could get some variety. I think more damning than any lack of exclusives, is the consolidation of gameplay mechanics in todays software. Every game feels the same, generally speaking.

edit: every large budget game.

Last edited:

Aion002

Yes. I enjoyed so far most of both Playstation and Xbox main titles.

With the exception of Redfall (which is trash) and Returnal (I hated), overall I am happy with both platforms.

Top Bottom